7DRL success: last-of-candle

50 views
Skip to first unread message

Oohara Yuuma

unread,
Mar 12, 2010, 1:47:29 PM3/12/10
to
I wrote a 7DRL "last-of-candle".
http://www.interq.or.jp/libra/oohara/last-of-candle/index.html
Only the source code is available; you need to compile it
with gcc and ncurses to play it.

The time now is Sat, 13 Mar 2010 01:21:41 +0900.
The Challenge began at Sat, 06 Mar 2010 16:35:10 +0900.

Geoffrey White

unread,
Mar 14, 2010, 8:03:29 PM3/14/10
to
On 12/03/2010 18:47, Oohara Yuuma wrote:
> I wrote a 7DRL "last-of-candle".
> http://www.interq.or.jp/libra/oohara/last-of-candle/index.html
> Only the source code is available; you need to compile it
> with gcc and ncurses to play it.

A very interesting game. I liked the way the combat mechanics let you
do so much with just the direction keys, and you can take out a lot of
critters with a few well places moves - very satisfying. However it's
easy to die without having realized you were in danger.

- Geoffrey White

Darren Grey

unread,
Mar 14, 2010, 9:46:05 PM3/14/10
to
On Mar 12, 6:47 pm, Oohara Yuuma <ooh...@libra.interq.or.jp> wrote:
> I wrote a 7DRL "last-of-candle".http://www.interq.or.jp/libra/oohara/last-of-candle/index.html

> Only the source code is available; you need to compile it
> with gcc and ncurses to play it.
>
> The time now is Sat, 13 Mar 2010 01:21:41 +0900.
> The Challenge began at Sat, 06 Mar 2010 16:35:10 +0900.

Any chance of a precompiled exe?

--
Darren Grey

Oohara Yuuma

unread,
Mar 15, 2010, 1:42:09 AM3/15/10
to
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010, Darren Grey wrote:
[last-of-candle source-only release]

> Any chance of a precompiled exe?

Sorry, I don't have a Windows box and I don't know how to cross-
compile.

aave

unread,
Mar 15, 2010, 3:51:10 AM3/15/10
to

Hi,
I cross-compiled it for Windows in the same way I did my game (City of
the Condemned). I also threw in a linux binary - download:
http://saluuna.dy.fi/dropbox/LastOfCandle-bin-winlin.zip

Unfortunately I didn't have time to test the Windows version properly
(didn't work under wine, but then again, so didn't my game). Just for
future reference, cross-compiling of simple projects is quite easy
using the mingw32 package available at least in Ubuntu and Debian
repos. PDcurses is the lib you need to use in place of ncurses.

aave

unread,
Mar 15, 2010, 4:45:12 AM3/15/10
to
On 15 maalis, 09:51, aave <tapiovier...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I cross-compiled it for Windows in the same way I did my game (City of
> the Condemned). I also threw in a linux binary - download:http://saluuna.dy.fi/dropbox/LastOfCandle-bin-winlin.zip
>
> Unfortunately I didn't have time to test the Windows version properly
> (didn't work under wine, but then again, so didn't my game). Just for
> future reference, cross-compiling of simple projects is quite easy
> using the mingw32 package available at least in Ubuntu and Debian
> repos. PDcurses is the lib you need to use in place of ncurses.

I now tested the Win version after all and it didn't work (problems
with setupterm) but I hacked it by removing the check for terminal
size, so it works now.

At first I thought that the game was buggy as hell with numebers
appearing at random places and enemies dissappearing in plain sight a
few tiles from me. I then discovered that the numbers are actually
sounds from monsters and the player has an automatic ranged attack!
Really should bother reading the README sometimes. :)

The shadows are an interesting concept. I remember playing different
Zeldas that had enemies that worked the same way. Nice to have a
friendly one for change. :)

Sherm Pendley

unread,
Mar 15, 2010, 5:00:10 AM3/15/10
to
aave <tapiov...@gmail.com> writes:

> Just for
> future reference, cross-compiling of simple projects is quite easy
> using the mingw32 package available at least in Ubuntu and Debian
> repos.

A mingw32 package is also available in MacPorts.

sherm--

Oohara Yuuma

unread,
Mar 15, 2010, 6:08:13 PM3/15/10
to
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010, aave wrote:
[last-of-candle source-only release]

> I cross-compiled it for Windows in the same way I did my game (City of
> the Condemned). I also threw in a linux binary - download:
> http://saluuna.dy.fi/dropbox/LastOfCandle-bin-winlin.zip

Thank you for compiling. I uploaded it to the webpage.

> Just for
> future reference, cross-compiling of simple projects is quite easy
> using the mingw32 package available at least in Ubuntu and Debian
> repos. PDcurses is the lib you need to use in place of ncurses.

Thank you for the tip, but I'm not interested in Windows support.
I don't use Windows. The first computer I used was the HP/UX
in the university. The first personal computer was a Debian box.

aave

unread,
Mar 16, 2010, 4:40:34 AM3/16/10
to
On 16 maalis, 00:08, Oohara Yuuma <ooh...@libra.interq.or.jp> wrote:
> Thank you for the tip, but I'm not interested in Windows support.
> I don't use Windows.  The first computer I used was the HP/UX
> in the university.  The first personal computer was a Debian box.

I'd like that my games are played and enjoyed by as many people as
possible. By not caring about Windows, the number of users is hugely
limited (although I think that roguelike community has a higher non-
Windows user base than average). Also, not all Linux users know or
care about compiling stuff (and let's not even talk about Win users
here). Even here at r.g.r.d where most of us are developers of some
sorts, we cannot have knowledge of compiling for every programming
language. As such, providing only source further limits the number of
testers, and thus feedback. Of course one can develop just for own
amusement, not really intend the game to be played by other people,
just provide means for hard-core enthusiasts to test if they are
willing to go through the hoops and loops. (A little exaggerated
perhaps... You're game was easy to compile after all. :P )

Anyway, just my thoughts on why I do care about proving support for
Windows although I rarely use it myself.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages