*yawns* Hiya, how is everyone? I did a thing, come see.

ShockFrost

Mar 18, 2004, 7:51:43 PM3/18/04
. . did I miss my memorial day again?

Oh well.

I thought I would drop in and say 'Hello'.

I'm still on the lookout for a good artist. The projects are coming
along nicely. But the one that's been consuming most of my time is a
collectible card game of my own creation.

If you'd like to see a semi-finished 'creation' start to evolve, you
can look to my website:

www.geocities.com/shockfrost/

Same site as before. You'll find real RULES to a REAL card game, and 4
complete decks to play the game with. I have several more in reserve
if it picks up interest.

But I'm really very proud of the code that produces these cards, and
my own flavoring of the cards.

If you don't mind a good cardflopping every now and again, by all
means, check it out.

For those who want a progress report on the games, I am still pursuing
the side-view roguelike. I ran into a problem with side-scrolling
level generation some time ago and simply chose not to wrestle with it
- I had financial issues to fry, so I got a job instead.

Now that I've been fired, I suppose I can get back to work.

The issue is filling a grid with a random side-view map. It needs to
consist of many elements: Ladders, switches, Jumping puzzles, flat
areas for monsters to wander back and forth in. Some rooms need large
empty spaces for bosses. It's harder than it sounds; many of the
algorithms I started with were terrible at producing interesting
levels. My current model has trouble making effective switch puzzles.

So that's where things are. Aside from this, I'm happy to report the
game has a large list of finalized information.

I'm also working on a top-down shoot-everything style game. The task
of creating the necessary 200-or-so enemies is overwhelming, so it has
slowed to a crawl.

There was a time I was working on a side-view game with a highly
complex magic system, but I decided it would have too narrow an
interest group.

It is tempting to translate my current card game to the GBA! But that
has some problems too! For example, there are 4 basic level 1 cards,
and 27 special ones (rarer) for 31 total. At level 10, it is hard to
even COUNT the number of cards.

That's a lot of art. And that's the START of the problems with that.

I'm toying with the idea of a boardgame based on Dungeons and Dragons
characters, for the GBA. Not a very serious project.

I'm sure everyone realizes there are 2 very good reasons that I tend
to withhold productions:

1. I hate to produce crap.

2. I am usually too poor, and strapped for time, to produce anything
BUT crap.

3. I spend a lot of effort trying to make up the difference, but in
off-topic subjects (like food, gas, shelter, and money)

But this card game has turned out to be superb in strategy and design.
Have a look. :)

Thanks for taking a glance.

Bateau

Mar 19, 2004, 6:25:37 AM3/19/04
_.--""--._ On
." ". 18 Mar 2004 16:51:43 -0800
| . ` ` | in
\( )/ rec.games.roguelike.development,
\)__. _._(/ ShockFrost
// >..< \\ spoke
|__.' vv '.__/ 75
l'''"''l lines
_ )--( _ the
\ |`----''----'| / undead
|| `-' '--' || skeleton
|| `--' '--' || god
|l `--'--'--' |l of
|__|`--' `--'|__| giant
| | )-( | | ascii
|| )-( \|| who
|| __ )_( __ \\ replied...
||' `- -' \ \\
||\_ `-' _/ |_\
/_\ _)J-._.-L( /`-\
|`- I_)O /\ O( `--l\\\|
||||( `-' `-') .-' |||
\\\ \ / / ///
\ \ / /
\ \ / /
/ \ / \
|_()I()._|
\ /\ /
| / \ |
| | \ \
| | \ \
| | \ \
| |-nabis\ \_
| | /-._\
|.-.\ //.-._)
\\\\ ///
\\\\-'''
``''

>I'm also working on a top-down shoot-everything style game. The task
>of creating the necessary 200-or-so enemies is overwhelming, so it has
>slowed to a crawl.

Upload some info on this.
--
.-'`-.
/ | | \
/ | | \
|___|_|__ |
||<o>| <o>`|
|| J_ )|
`|`-'__`-'|/
| `--' |
.-| |_
.-' \ / | |`-.
.-' `. /| | \
/ ````' | | \
|_____ | | L
.-' ___ `-. F F | | ||`-.___
.'.-' | `-. `. J J / | || _.>
/ /| | |`. \ | | |/ | ||_.-'
/ / | | | `. `. F F | |==============================
J / | | | \ L J J | | `:::::::. `:::::::.
FJ | | | |L J/ / | \ :::::::. :::::::\
J |() | () | () | () | J L/ | | ::::::: :::::::L
| F | .-'_ \ | | LJ | / L :::::::: :::::::J
| L | / \\ | | | L | | :::::::: ::::::::L
| L || ):|| | | | /| L :::::::: ::::::::|
J | ||:._.'::|| | | |----' | | :::::::: ::::::::| .---.
J | |J:::::::|| | | | _/\ | :::::::: ::::::::| /(@ o`.
LJ | \:::::/ | | | |---'\ | | :::::::: ::::::::| | /^^^
J L | `-:-' | | | F | \ | J :::::::: ::::::::| \ . \vvv
LJ()| () | () | () | F F | \ \--._L :::::::: ::::::::| \ `--'
J \ | | | | J J \ | | :::::::: ::::::::| \ `.
\ \| | | | / / | | | :::::::: ::::::::| L \
\ \ | | |/ /| | | .-'| :::::::: ::::::::| | \
`.`. | | .'.' | | |/ /`L :::::::: ::::::::| | L
| `.`-.____|.-'.-' | | | <`. \ :::::::: ::::::::| | |
| | `-.______.-' | \| |_`::\ `. :::::::: ::::::::| F |
| J\ | | | | /: \::. \:::::::: ::::::::F / |
| L\|--| | _.--|:: `::\ `.:::::: .:::::::J / F
J J |\\|-.____ |__.-' |: \::. \:::: ::::::::F .' J
L \| >|| `--' J |' .`::\ `.:' .::::::::/ .' F
J |//JJ | L |---. .--\::. \---. .---. <---< J
L |< |J |\=/| ( _ \=/ _ `::\ `. \=/ _ \=/ _ \ /
J |\\|J | | / )_) | (_) \::. \ | (_) | (_) | /
\ |--|J |//\\ / //\ //`::\ `./\ //\ / .'
\| |L ` )/ )` `' '|`---// `---// `\::. \ `---// `---' .'
VK________| L_\ ' /___/ ' | |___//______//_____`::\ |___//_________.'_________
F F J`` -'| | | | | \:_|
`-' | "" | J ` |
| | L | |\ |\ /| /| |\ /|
| | \ | | \ | \ // // | \ || |\
J | `. | ||\\ ||\\ // // ||\\ || ||
L F )`---\ || >> || \\ / | << || \\ || ||
| J / `. ||// || || //|| \\ || || || ||
J J ( `-. |// | \ || |/ || \\ | \ || || ||
`-.__/ `---. `. |<< ||\\|| || >> ||\\|| || ||
| J `. ) ||\\ || \ | || // || \ | || ||
/ | `-----' || >> || || || // || || \\ ||
/ F ||// || || || << || || \\||
J J | / |/ || |/ \\ |/ || \ |
J | |/ \| \| \| \|
`-.-' K I N G O F T H E M O N S T E R S

R. Alan Monroe

Mar 19, 2004, 7:02:57 AM3/19/04

>Same site as before. You'll find real RULES to a REAL card game, and 4
>complete decks to play the game with. I have several more in reserve
>if it picks up interest.

Any way you can convert the .doc files to .pdf?

>levels. My current model has trouble making effective switch puzzles.

Is there really any such thing as an effective switch puzzle? :^)

Alan

Bateau

Mar 19, 2004, 9:46:21 AM3/19/04
_.--""--._ On
." ". Fri, 19 Mar 2004 12:02:57 GMT

| . ` ` | in
\( )/ rec.games.roguelike.development,
\)__. _._(/ R. Alan Monroe
// >..< \\ spoke
|__.' vv '.__/ 16

>In article <cd6e3975.04031...@posting.google.com>, shock...@yahoo.com (ShockFrost) wrote:

>>Same site as before. You'll find real RULES to a REAL card game, and 4
>>complete decks to play the game with. I have several more in reserve
>>if it picks up interest.
>
>Any way you can convert the .doc files to .pdf?

You mean HTML or TXT.

>>levels. My current model has trouble making effective switch puzzles.
>
>Is there really any such thing as an effective switch puzzle? :^)

Raymond Martineau

Mar 20, 2004, 9:03:11 AM3/20/04
On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 12:02:57 GMT, amon...@yahoo.com (R. Alan Monroe)
wrote:

>In article <cd6e3975.04031...@posting.google.com>, shock...@yahoo.com (ShockFrost) wrote:
>
>>Same site as before. You'll find real RULES to a REAL card game, and 4
>>complete decks to play the game with. I have several more in reserve
>>if it picks up interest.
>
>Any way you can convert the .doc files to .pdf?

There should be absolutly no problem reading Microsoft Word documents under
any platform. Windows users can head over to Microsoft to download the
viewer: http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/wd97vwr32.aspx

Abiword also reads word docs without problem: http://www.abiword.com/

When in doubt, grab and keep a copy of wvWare, a library designed to
convert MS Word documents into other formats:
http://wvware.sourceforge.net/

Bedies, changing a .DOC file over or some other format does nothing. When
I asked for comments on changes to the Adom manual, there were no replies
made once I announced the non-MS word version. The only replies involved
unfounded complaints about the unnecessary use of Microsoft Word (unfounded
because the "Track Changes" feature was used, and that MS-Word was
previously used in submitting revisions to the Adom Manual.)

Jeff Lait

Mar 20, 2004, 3:37:09 PM3/20/04
shock...@yahoo.com (ShockFrost) wrote in message news:<cd6e3975.04031...@posting.google.com>...

> . . did I miss my memorial day again?

Yep. Don't worry, we celebrated it without you. You were missed,
however.

> If you'd like to see a semi-finished 'creation' start to evolve, you
> can look to my website:
>
> www.geocities.com/shockfrost/
>
> Same site as before. You'll find real RULES to a REAL card game, and 4
> complete decks to play the game with. I have several more in reserve
> if it picks up interest.

Very impressive. It looks like a very intriguing game mechanic. I
really like the combination of low card deck and the ability to bluff
with dead cards.

You are heading quickly into the overly complex realm, however.
Before focussing on artwork for 5000 cards (which doesn't make much
sense in this system), I'd suggest focussing on some efficient ways of
doing the book keeping. The seperate life counts on paper is just
inviting complexity. Rules also don't specify things like: Are other
players allowed to see your life totals?

> The issue is filling a grid with a random side-view map. It needs to
> consist of many elements: Ladders, switches, Jumping puzzles, flat
> areas for monsters to wander back and forth in. Some rooms need large
> empty spaces for bosses. It's harder than it sounds; many of the
> algorithms I started with were terrible at producing interesting
> levels. My current model has trouble making effective switch puzzles.

The trouble is that historically interesting levels get their interest
from people playing them repeatedly. They thus learn to perfect the
button mashing required for the jumps. If your jumps pattern or
switch pattern changed every life, you'd never be able to master it.

> It is tempting to translate my current card game to the GBA! But that
> has some problems too! For example, there are 4 basic level 1 cards,
> and 27 special ones (rarer) for 31 total. At level 10, it is hard to
> even COUNT the number of cards.

Your current card game would have more difficulty producing a good AI
for the GBA than it would good artwork.

> I'm sure everyone realizes there are 2 very good reasons that I tend
> to withhold productions:
>
> 1. I hate to produce crap.
>
> 2. I am usually too poor, and strapped for time, to produce anything
> BUT crap.
>
> 3. I spend a lot of effort trying to make up the difference, but in
> off-topic subjects (like food, gas, shelter, and money)

That isn't 2, that's 3. And I'd add a fourth:
4. You get easily side tracked into new projects before you finish off
your last one.

No problem with that - I'm hardly different, with only a few rare
exceptions to show in my life of half finished projects.

> But this card game has turned out to be superb in strategy and design.
> Have a look. :)

It does look good.
--
Jeff Lait

ABCGi

Mar 20, 2004, 7:43:16 PM3/20/04

My rule - never ever ever put Word on the Net. It sucks. You need to do
crap like the above for some users so they can read it, it makes bloated
badly written html pages (>100%), and is just generally bloated. At
least acrobat works reasonably well within a web page, is a better
standard, and downloading the reader happens so even noobs can get it
done. I like pure HTML documentation, small, plain text, portable, and
readable by every browser without addons.

I do however like the track changes feature of Word for internal
documentation, and things have got better from Word 2000 onwards
particularly when using various versions of Word. There is no need to
publish the document as word on the net however, and personally it goes
against my ideology for the net. JMONTYWTD (Just My Opinion Not Telling
You What To Do :)

--
ABCGi http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
My RL http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk/projects/beyond

Martin Read

Mar 22, 2004, 7:50:56 AM3/22/04
bk...@freenet.carleton.ca (Raymond Martineau) wrote:
>Bedies, changing a .DOC file over or some other format does nothing. When
>I asked for comments on changes to the Adom manual, there were no replies
>made once I announced the non-MS word version. The only replies involved
>unfounded complaints about the unnecessary use of Microsoft Word (unfounded
>because the "Track Changes" feature was used, and that MS-Word was
>previously used in submitting revisions to the Adom Manual.)

I presume you are aware of the many infelicities of the Microsoft Word
format (RISKS and other forums passim)? In particular, people using tools
other than MS Word to view a Word document may well not see the document
you want them to see.

m.
--
\_\/_/| Martin Read - my opinions are my own. share them if you wish.
\ / | we are few / and far between / i was thinking about her skin / love