7DRL: timerogue

greyk...@greyfire.org

Mar 13, 2008, 1:51:03 PM3/13/08
So, I finally came up with an idea for the roguetemple.com 7DRL. I
blame Calamarain for not reminding me about it beforehand! ;-P

Theory: rogue + time travel = win

No way I'm gonna get done by the 16th, but what the heck, I'll give it
a shot. Should be interesting if nothing else. I've made sure to
specifically enumerate features straight off and forbid myself to add
"just one more thing" during development; I've already thought of one
or two extra ideas, but I will just add a "suggestions for further
development" text file to the release, that will do fine.

I'm not quite sure on the etiquette surrounding these more formal
versions of the 7DRL challenge, which I haven't participated in
before, but frankly I intend to count this as a success if I can
finish by the 20th (7 days from when I started). If I can finish by
the 16th I shall buy myself a treat!

Robson

Mar 13, 2008, 2:23:58 PM3/13/08

Good luck!

Jeff Lait

Mar 13, 2008, 3:08:19 PM3/13/08

Fitting with the theme, I think the answer is simple. On the 20th,
use your game to move back in time to post of your success on the
16th.

Good luck!
--
Jeff Lait

Jakub Debski

Mar 13, 2008, 4:20:10 PM3/13/08
> So, I finally came up with an idea for the roguetemple.com 7DRL. I
> blame Calamarain for not reminding me about it beforehand! ;-P
>
> Theory: rogue + time travel = win

In plans one of the alien devices in Xenocide is a "time device".
It will allow player to do a controlled save-scumm.

regards,
Jakub

Slash

Mar 13, 2008, 5:03:58 PM3/13/08
On Mar 13, 12:51 pm, greykni...@greyfire.org wrote:
> So, I finally came up with an idea for the roguetemple.com 7DRL. I
> blame Calamarain for not reminding me about it beforehand! ;-P
>
> Theory: rogue + time travel = win

Should work :)

> No way I'm gonna get done by the 16th, but what the heck, I'll give it
> a shot. Should be interesting if nothing else. I've made sure to
> specifically enumerate features straight off and forbid myself to add
> "just one more thing" during development; I've already thought of one
> or two extra ideas, but I will just add a "suggestions for further
> development" text file to the release, that will do fine.
>
> I'm not quite sure on the etiquette surrounding these more formal
> versions of the 7DRL challenge, which I haven't participated in
> before, but frankly I intend to count this as a success if I can
> finish by the 20th (7 days from when I started). If I can finish by
> the 16th I shall buy myself a treat!

<evil>Try having something showable for the 16th as a 3DRL :P then
finish it as a 7DRL </evil>

Good luck!
--
Slash!

greyk...@greyfire.org

Mar 14, 2008, 8:43:19 AM3/14/08
On Mar 13, 7:08 pm, Jeff Lait <torespondisfut...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Fitting with the theme, I think the answer is simple. On the 20th,
> use your game to move back in time to post of your success on the
> 16th.

Of course! Why didn't I think of that!

On Mar 13, 9:03 pm, Slash <java.ko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> <evil>Try having something showable for the 16th as a 3DRL :P then
> finish it as a 7DRL </evil>

Actually, this is a good idea; I could aim to get a demo of the most
basic model and mechanics in place by the 16th.

greyk...@greyfire.org

Mar 15, 2008, 5:15:07 AM3/15/08
On Mar 13, 5:51 pm, greykni...@greyfire.org wrote:

Progress: Last night (the 14th) I got a working model of the core time-
jumping mechanic. I developed it in Lua initially so that I could get
rid of any architectural problems in the model quickly without messing
around with pointers. Today I'll be working death resolution into the
mechanics and converting to C for further development. There is also
a bug in the collision detection somewhere (if you jump backwards in
time on top of a previous version of yourself, the game only
*sometimes* detects the collision), which I think I know the solution
to and will try to get rid of when I get back to coding this
afternoon.

I have part of a curses library for Lua done somewhere actually, I
should pull that out some day and use it to make a "luarogue". Maybe
next year!

Simon Richard Clarkstone

Mar 15, 2008, 10:33:01 AM3/15/08
greyk...@greyfire.org wrote:
> On Mar 13, 5:51 pm, greykni...@greyfire.org wrote:
>> So, I finally came up with an idea for the roguetemple.com 7DRL. I
>> blame Calamarain for not reminding me about it beforehand! ;-P
>>
>> Theory: rogue + time travel = win
>
> Progress: Last night (the 14th) I got a working model of the core time-
> jumping mechanic. I developed it in Lua initially so that I could get
> rid of any architectural problems in the model quickly without messing
> around with pointers. Today I'll be working death resolution into the
> mechanics and converting to C for further development. There is also
> a bug in the collision detection somewhere (if you jump backwards in
> time on top of a previous version of yourself, the game only
> *sometimes* detects the collision), which I think I know the solution
> to and will try to get rid of when I get back to coding this
> afternoon.

What time-travel system are you using?

--
Simon Richard Clarkstone:
s?m?n_cl?rkst?n?@yahoo.co.uk/s?m?n.cl?rkst?n?@hotmail.com

greyk...@greyfire.org

Mar 15, 2008, 5:18:13 PM3/15/08
On Mar 15, 2:33 pm, Simon Richard Clarkstone
<s.r.clarkst...@dunelm.org.uk> wrote:

> greykni...@greyfire.org wrote:
> > On Mar 13, 5:51 pm, greykni...@greyfire.org wrote:
> >> So, I finally came up with an idea for the roguetemple.com 7DRL. I
> >> blame Calamarain for not reminding me about it beforehand! ;-P
>
> >> Theory: rogue + time travel = win
>
> > Progress: Last night (the 14th) I got a working model of the core time-
> > jumping mechanic. I developed it in Lua initially so that I could get
> > rid of any architectural problems in the model quickly without messing
> > around with pointers. Today I'll be working death resolution into the
> > mechanics and converting to C for further development. There is also
> > a bug in the collision detection somewhere (if you jump backwards in
> > time on top of a previous version of yourself, the game only
> > *sometimes* detects the collision), which I think I know the solution
> > to and will try to get rid of when I get back to coding this
> > afternoon.
>
> What time-travel system are you using?

The constant data like the dungeon (no world-modification like digging
is currently implemented) and some of the creature data are separated
out from time-dependent data (eg, a monster's HP/position, an item's
number of charges), which are tracked on a "worldline" structure for
each entity. I haven't bothered to simulate a "pseudo-future", so if
you jump forwards at the start of the game, for instance, everyone
around you would be in the same place. A worldline structure is a
list of segments which describe a contiguous (in the entity's own
frame of reference; his "proper time") sequence of turns where the
entity's variable state didn't change (eg, the item lay still on the
floor and expended no charges). A few optimisations and reference
tables try to limit the very prodigal practice of traversing the set
of worldlines to see what is visible "now" (the player's current
proper time).

To keep tactics interesting, in the turns (in the dungeon's frame of
reference) leading up to a time-jumper's arrival, there is a "time-
wake" on that square, which grows in intensity prior to his arrival
and has a total duration depending on the length of his jump. So
jumping 100 turns might not give you a totally powerful advantage,
since the enemies will see you coming for a while. :-)

You can also jump backwards, leading to the amusing possibility of
providing reinforcements for yourself. Killing yourself in your own
past leads to a special case of Game Over as my "solution" to the
grandfather paradox.

greyk...@greyfire.org

Mar 17, 2008, 6:36:34 PM3/17/08
Mechanical demo (Mar 16th, kinda):

I meant to fiddle with this a bit this morning and get it uploaded,
but what with one thing and another I didn't get near the computer
until this evening. Here is a very simple demonstration of the time-
travel mechanics in action. In addition to the usual hjklyubn keys
for movement, you can type the #jump command to perform a time-jump
(in the real game, time-jumping will be mediated via object usage).
See the '?' command for more keys.

Don't worry about the dogs, they don't bite as combat is not
implemented here. :-) You can force a dog to perform a time-jump
using the #monsterjump command (but note that the jump will be
performed from the dog's "proper time", not necessarily in your own
time-frame). All creatures performing time-jumps, including yourself,
will leave "timewakes" as a special effect (the tactical effects of
which I mentioned in a previous post).

http://greyfire.org/?p=timerogue

konstanti...@gmail.com

Mar 26, 2008, 12:42:54 AM3/26/08

> http://greyfire.org/?p=timerogue

Anyone saved this demo?
greyfire.org seems to be unavialable :(

Rachel Elizabeth Dillon

Mar 28, 2008, 4:39:33 PM3/28/08

http://69.25.196.251/?p=timerogue

(greyfire.org seems to be having DNS trouble...)

-r.