7DRL Success! Earl Spork

deej

Mar 14, 2010, 7:03:00 PM3/14/10
The grand side-scrolling turn based platforming adventures of Earl
Spork have been realized!

http://squidpony.com/earlspork.html

Note that this was done in just over two days, due to conflicting
schedules. Had I had more time, there would be more dishes, more food,
and a boss fight!

As it is, I think this works well as a short fun adventure that proves
that side scrolling platformer and turn based rogue-like do not have
to be entirely separate things any longer!

-Eben
aka deej, ebenezum, thatonecoolguyweusedtoknow, etc.
www.squidpony.com

Darren Grey

Mar 14, 2010, 9:38:01 PM3/14/10
On Mar 14, 11:03 pm, deej <eben.how...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The grand side-scrolling turn based platforming adventures of Earl
> Spork have been realized!
>
> http://squidpony.com/earlspork.html
>
> Note that this was done in just over two days, due to conflicting
> schedules. Had I had more time, there would be more dishes, more food,
> and a boss fight!
>
> As it is, I think this works well as a short fun adventure that proves
> that side scrolling platformer and turn based rogue-like do not have
> to be entirely separate things any longer!

This is ridiculously fun, and a very inventive idea. The jumping peas
are so cute! Not yet managed to beat a level - always end up screwing
up a jump at some point.

--
Darren Grey

Ryan Szrama

Mar 14, 2010, 9:56:16 PM3/14/10
Very creative! : ) I'll have to play it a few times to make sure I
grok the gameplay, but it comes to you pretty quickly.

-Ryan

David

Mar 17, 2010, 4:48:45 PM3/17/10

very cool- one of the few 7drl titles i've been able to open and
play. I got all the way to the end of the level! I especially like
the water physics- neat to watch

Ryan Szrama

Mar 17, 2010, 9:32:32 PM3/17/10
Agreed. Just played this again on the lappy and appreciate the game
style. Some indicator of my experience level would be nice so I could
predict a little easier if I need to kill every monster I come across
to have enough tines moving forward.

I also picked up on a big related to attacking diagonally. It seems
collision detection is ignored when you attack diagonally while in the
air. Because you don't move sideways but still fall down, you can end
up inside the edge of a dish if you attack from over it.

-Ryan