7DRL: SimpleRogue

angrycoder

Mar 12, 2012, 3:31:06 AM3/12/12
Started today at noon EDT (GMT - 5).

This is my first roguelike, and first game period. I am using C#, libtcod, and VisualStudio2008. Probably going to be windows only, tried getting the C# version of libtcod working with monodevelop on osx and had no luck.

I don't have much of plan or theme. I am just trying to get a basic roguelike game together. I will consider it a success if I just have something playable by the end of the week.

Made good progress on my first day, spent about 6 hours total. Got the screen setup, map displayed (no FOV), HUD, player moving around, a single monster class, hp, xp, and simple combat.

You can check out a screenshot here:

http://s16.postimage.org/avha1ldph/sr_day_01.png

Adam Piskel

Mar 12, 2012, 10:41:17 AM3/12/12
Good luck on your first Roguelike!

angrycoder

Mar 12, 2012, 5:05:21 PM3/12/12
Day 2 - Got FOV working. Random dungeon generation 70% complete, still using static map for now.

progress screenshot:

http://oi39.tinypic.com/21np2xg.jpg

angrycoder

Mar 13, 2012, 2:31:17 AM3/13/12
Day 2.5 -

FOV
Random dungeon generation is in.
Added stairs.
Going down stairs generates a new level.

screenshots:

http://oi44.tinypic.com/33w9uvq.jpg
http://oi43.tinypic.com/w893cl.jpg

Nothing special so far, but very happy with the progress I've made.

Adam Piskel

Mar 14, 2012, 4:30:46 AM3/14/12
Looks good. Keep on truckin'.

You look like you need to get some monsters or items in next.
(I am guilty of this as well)

angrycoder

Mar 15, 2012, 12:39:30 AM3/15/12
Thanks for the encouragement!

Monsters? What do you think the brown k is? Its a kobold! RAWWWWR!

Working on getting the messaging system in tonight and possibly starting on the actual gameplay.

Adam Piskel

Mar 15, 2012, 2:02:06 AM3/15/12
Ah, I missed those, since they weren't in the newer screen shots. Yellow and Brown k's! Watch out!

angrycoder

Mar 15, 2012, 3:34:39 AM3/15/12
Day 4

Messages, items, more map gen.

screenshot:

http://oi40.tinypic.com/33p8svk.jpg

yellow kobolds, red potions, white messages! oh my!

Tomorrow: gameplay.