7DRL Failure: Helltank

Risto Saarelma

Mar 13, 2011, 7:59:14 AM3/13/11
Well, that didn't quite work out. I think I got the graphical style and
special controls about where I want them, but I'm on day 7 now, and
still haven't even started on enemy AI, combat system, visual effects,
map generation, or message and status UI, and except for the map
generation which I could cheat with using premade maps, all of those are
kinda important to make the game work. I'm not getting all that into any
kind of sensible shape in one day.

Things could've worked better if I'd either had the whole week off and
could've done this thing full-time, or if I'd already had an existing
code base for the missing systems which I could modify, instead of doing
things from scratch.

I clocked in 11 hours of focused work in my org-mode project tracker for
this, which isn't terribly much. Work was done on top of code from
miscellaneous Factor stuff I've done in the last 5 months, which
provides a reasonable basis for drawing nice sprites, but not that many
other handy game-building tools yet.