7DRL - FoozleQuest results (2?)

Mo Collector

Mar 15, 2010, 1:38:35 AM3/15/10
Don't know what happened to my last post (maybe too big), but the game
code and icons are at:
http://sites.google.com/site/mmocollector/home

Requires python and pygame
Sorry I couldn't upload a zip of all the files anywhere
You should probably search for "cheat = 1" and set it to "cheat = 0"

I haven't decided if it was a success or failure yet.

Darren Grey

Mar 15, 2010, 1:54:04 AM3/15/10

Well, regardless of success or failure I love the graphical style :)

--
Darren Grey

Slash

Mar 15, 2010, 8:19:02 AM3/15/10

You must decide NOW!

:P

--
Slashie

Mo Collector

Mar 16, 2010, 2:18:35 AM3/16/10

I am kind of torn on success or failure.

I played through today and completed the game. It seemed too easy,
possibly due to some random factors.
(One dungeon was overstocked with items and I got ridiculously lucky
in the Foozle fight).
I guess I also know all the tricks to fighting the monsters and
avoiding traps.

The python script and images are zipped together and available on
http://code.google.com/p/foozle-quest/downloads/list.
The only difference between 1.0 (released in the time limit) and 1.01
(outside time limit) is that the line "cheat = 1" was changed to
"cheat = 0" in 1.01

Some features got cut down, but there is still some variety.
These features were simplified but still exist in the game (could be
spoilers):
* Planned long fetch-quest chains reduced to one-step fetch-quests
* Sequence of different key types for locked doors reduced to a
single key.
* Gates only block your forward path; intended to block back-tracking
too
* Levers act like buttons, but never made it to the room generation
algorithm
* Dungeons layouts can sometimes be trivialized if a good gate is not
generated
* World map looks cool but is pretty useless from a game play
perspective
* Only 6 types of monsters; no real AI, but 4 have special powers
* (I ran out of time to add wizards, who would attack from range
and teleport around)
* Gold is useless

The game is pretty cohesive and if you can overlook the fact that
cheats were enabled in 1.0 and the game is too easy because I didn't
playtest a complete game, I would call it a success.

Darren Grey

Mar 16, 2010, 1:44:36 PM3/16/10
On Mar 16, 6:18 am, Mo Collector <mmocollec...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 15, 7:19 am, Slash <java.ko...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 15, 12:38 am, Mo Collector <mmocollec...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Don't know what happened to my last post (maybe too big), but the game
> > > code and icons are at:http://sites.google.com/site/mmocollector/home
>
> > > Requires python and pygame
> > > Sorry I couldn't upload a zip of all the files anywhere
> > > You should probably search for "cheat = 1" and set it to "cheat = 0"
>
> > > I haven't decided if it was a success or failure yet.
>
> > You must decide NOW!
>
> > :P
>
> > --
> > Slashie
>
> I am kind of torn on success or failure.
>
> I played through today and completed the game.  It seemed too easy,
> possibly due to some random factors.
> (One dungeon was overstocked with items and I got ridiculously lucky
> in the Foozle fight).
> I guess I also know all the tricks to fighting the monsters and
> avoiding traps.
>
> The python script and images are zipped together and available onhttp://code.google.com/p/foozle-quest/downloads/list.

> The only difference between 1.0 (released in the time limit) and 1.01
> (outside time limit) is that the line "cheat = 1" was changed to
> "cheat = 0" in 1.01
>
> Some features got cut down, but there is still some variety.
> These features were simplified but still exist in the game (could be
> spoilers):
>  * Planned long fetch-quest chains reduced to one-step fetch-quests
>  * Sequence of different key types for locked doors reduced to a
> single key.
>  * Gates only block your forward path; intended to block back-tracking
> too
>  * Levers act like buttons, but never made it to the room generation
> algorithm
>  * Dungeons layouts can sometimes be trivialized if a good gate is not
> generated
>  * World map looks cool but is pretty useless from a game play
> perspective
>  * Only 6 types of monsters; no real AI, but 4 have special powers
>    * (I ran out of time to add wizards, who would attack from range
> and teleport around)
>  * Gold is useless
>
> The game is pretty cohesive and if you can overlook the fact that
> cheats were enabled in 1.0 and the game is too easy because I didn't
> playtest a complete game, I would call it a success.

Sounds to me like we have our 50th success. Lots of the entries are
too easy and lacking in deep content. You should be happy you got a
working game released.

--
Darren Grey

Slash

Mar 18, 2010, 12:48:36 PM3/18/10
On Mar 16, 1:18 am, Mo Collector <mmocollec...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 15, 7:19 am, Slash <java.ko...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 15, 12:38 am, Mo Collector <mmocollec...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Don't know what happened to my last post (maybe too big), but the game
> > > code and icons are at:http://sites.google.com/site/mmocollector/home
>
> > > Requires python and pygame
> > > Sorry I couldn't upload a zip of all the files anywhere
> > > You should probably search for "cheat = 1" and set it to "cheat = 0"
>
> > > I haven't decided if it was a success or failure yet.
[..]

> The game is pretty cohesive and if you can overlook the fact that
> cheats were enabled in 1.0 and the game is too easy because I didn't
> playtest a complete game, I would call it a success.

Yes, please just say: "It was a success." and I'll include it into the
list.

--
Slashie