7DRL: Destiny Rogues - 7 day demo version

Timofei Shatrov

Mar 13, 2010, 6:45:06 AM3/13/10
Time's up, so I have to release what I have coded so far. This week was probably
the worst for making a 7drl, so curse all of you who voted for it *shakes fist*.

Also I blame http://reddit.com, http://xkcdsucks.blogspot.com and a bunch of
other websites for distracting me too much. I gotta finish this someday.

The game is available through direct links (no reason to put up a site yet)

Windows Binaries: http://common-lisp.net/project/lifp/destiny.zip

Source Code: http://common-lisp.net/project/lifp/destiny-src.zip
(it is supposed to be compatible with CLISP, SBCL and CCL, but has only been
tested on CLISP under Windows XP)

Screenshot: http://grue.imgur.com/destiny_rogues/DWrlI

The following is readme.txt:
-----
Destiny Rogues 0.7drl version

This was supposed to be a roguelike based on the webcomic Hitmen For
Destiny written in 7 days. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to finish it
on time, so you get treated to this half-assed tech demo instead.

Some things that I *did* do:

- new dungeon generator
- several monsters per tile
- companions with reasonable ai
- you can command them and give them items
- throwable weapons
- you can say stuff in speech balloons

Some things that I didn't do:
- any sort of plot or objective
- all those wacky monsters from the comic (you fight The Sewer Massacre monsters
instead)
- all items are also from The Sewer Massacre
- the game is not balanced whatsoever, so it's quite boring to play

==Controls==

The default controls are as follows:

Move around: numpad/arrows
Wait: '5'
Quit: 'Q'
Show more messages: 'SPACE'
Recap old messages: 'BACKSPACE'
Look around: 'l'
Open door: 'o' (or just bump into door)
Close door: 'c'
Save game: 'S'
Go down: '>' or '+'
Go up: '<' or '-'
Get item: ',' or 'g'
Drop item: 'd'
Inventory: 'i'
Equip/Unequip: 'e'
Use item: 'u'
Throw item: 't' (you can throw knives and the Sword)
Order companions/chat ("holler"): 'h'
Offer item to companion: 'f'

Some commands require you to choose an item from menu. You can cancel
such commands with ESC or SPACE. You can also use PgUp and PgDn to
navigate menu faster.

When you need to choose a specific monster (such as when you're
choosing the target to throw something at) go through the possible
targets using arrow keys and select using Enter or any other key,
except for ESC or SPACE which cancel the aiming.

You can edit keybindings. Open file "controls.cfg" and put a number
that corresponds to the key near the action (I'm sure you can figure
out where to put it). To discover which number corresponds to which
key, press the key during the game and look at the number between
brackets at the bottom.

==Gameplay==

The gameplay is pretty boring (aka easy) right now. However the lower
levels should be quite challenging. You can give your companions
weapons and they will use them. They won't use armor or potions yet.
They are not yet smart enough to run away from monsters when their
life is low. You can give them some general orders, but you can't
order them to go in a specific place. You can throw knives (they will
deal more damage that way).

==Compiling==

The detailed information on how to compile the game is at:
http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=The_Sewer_Massacre

--
|Don't believe this - you're not worthless ,gr---------.ru
|It's us against millions and we can't take them all... | ue il |
|But we can take them on! | @ma |
| (A Wilhelm Scream - The Rip) |______________|

Slash

Mar 13, 2010, 10:17:03 AM3/13/10
On Mar 13, 6:45 am, g...@mail.ru (Timofei Shatrov) wrote:
> Time's up, so I have to release what I have coded so far. This week was probably
> the worst for making a 7drl, so curse all of you who voted for it *shakes fist*.

Is this a success or a failure?

--
Slashie

Timofei Shatrov

Mar 13, 2010, 10:36:42 AM3/13/10
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 07:17:03 -0800 (PST), Slash <java....@gmail.com> tried to
confuse everyone with this message:

>On Mar 13, 6:45=A0am, g...@mail.ru (Timofei Shatrov) wrote:
>> Time's up, so I have to release what I have coded so far. This week was p=
>robably
>> the worst for making a 7drl, so curse all of you who voted for it *shakes=

> fist*.
>>

>Is this a success or a failure?

Depends on the definition of success. The game is there, it's just not
very good :)

Geoffrey White

Mar 23, 2010, 6:49:28 PM3/23/10
On 13/03/2010 15:36, Timofei Shatrov wrote:
> The game is there, it's just not very good :)

Actually I quite enjoyed it. Though I lost my companions pretty quickly
and they never caught up with me...

- Geoffrey