7DRL Attempt: Dwarf Fortress 2

Andrew Doull

Mar 31, 2010, 9:03:10 PM3/31/10

This is a little bit behind the 'official' 7DRL contest, but there's
this 4 day weekend coming up where I may be able to achieve something
playable, and, hey, I've never written a 7DRL before.

Dwarf Fortress 2 will be a real time multiplayer strategy game. You
initially choose a settlement location from a wide variety of possible
maps, such as a gravel pit or badlands. Your settlement starts off
with a party nine rouge dwarves who have intend to build a fortress
from stratch. Unfortunately, another similarly size part of dwarves
have also arrived in the same location, tinged slightly bluish from
asphixiation having run up the mountain to stake their claim.

Before you can begin building, you must settle the dispute with the
other coloured dwarf team, by capturing strategic locations around the
map, or perhaps pushing a mine kart along a track (depending on how
far I get). Your dwarves: Heavy, Scouty, Snipy, Engy, Demi, Soldy,
Pyree, Spyee and Doc, are equipped with a variety of useful weapons
and abilities to assist you in this endeavour.

To avoid having to write netcode or AI, Dwarf Fortress 2 will use a
radical side by side multiplayer design. Player one selects his or her
dwarves by using the number keys along the top of the keyboard, with
AWSD movement control and other letter keys on the left hand side of
the keyboard to control the red dwarf team. Player two selects dwarves
using the numeric keypad, moves using the arrow keys and changes
weapons and reloads using the cluster of keys around PAGEUP/PAGEDOWN
etc.

Since the game is in real time, this control scheme will bring the two
players together in the spirit of dwarven friendliness and
cooperation.

More features to come as implemented.

Regards,

Andrew Doull

PS: To avoid any confusion, should this 7DRL attempt be successful, I
will be renaming the final release to Team Roguelike 2.

Fobbah

Mar 31, 2010, 10:15:43 PM3/31/10
I think in general it would be best to avoid calling this dwarf
fortress 2 at all, I doubt tarn adams would appreciate it. I dont know
if you proposed renaming this from dwarf fortress was because you dont
want it confused with team fortress or with tarn adams's game dwarf
fortress - regardless, he probably wouldnt like you drawing traffic
from his roguelike by using the name dwarf fortress 2 in any
announcements about your 7DRL.

That aside, it's a great idea, and i look forward to seeing it.

Good luck!

George Oliver

Mar 31, 2010, 10:23:56 PM3/31/10
On 3/31/2010 7:15 PM, Fobbah wrote:
> I think in general it would be best to avoid calling this dwarf
> fortress 2 at all

You might want to look at Doull's blog then.

Fenrir

Mar 31, 2010, 11:03:20 PM3/31/10
I don't know what is more frighting: that you people think this joke
is funny, or that some people actually seem to fall for it. At least
with the latter I can assume that they aren't reading the whole post.
That goes for the stuff on ASCII Dreams too.

Ido Yehieli

Apr 1, 2010, 1:19:51 AM4/1/10
On 1 אפריל, 05:15, Fobbah <fob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think in general it would be best to avoid calling this dwarf
> fortress 2 at all, I doubt tarn adams would appreciate it.

Posted on April 1st.

-Ido.

Andrew Doull

Apr 1, 2010, 8:12:57 AM4/1/10
On Apr 1, 12:03 pm, Andrew Doull <andrewdo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> PS: To avoid any confusion, should this 7DRL attempt be successful, I
> will be renaming the final release to Team Roguelike 2.

Progress report:

Libtcod downloaded. Hello world application compiled and running.

Note to whomever maintains the libtcod Hello World! in C cookbook: the
libtcod 1.5.0 release I downloaded doesn't support the
TCOD_RENDERER_SDL symbol in TCOD_console_init_root. Dropping the final
argument fixes the problem in the example code.

Andrew

mingos

Apr 1, 2010, 1:17:32 PM4/1/10
W dniu 10-04-01 14:12, Andrew Doull pisze:

Yes, the snippet is not for version 1.5.0, but rather 1.5.1 WIP, which
happens features a renderer choice (SDL, OpenGL or GLSL).

Thanks for having a look at the cookbook and libtcod, mate, hope you
like them :).

--
Mingos

Andrew Doull

Apr 1, 2010, 6:32:00 PM4/1/10
On Apr 2, 4:17 am, mingos <dominikmarc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, the snippet is not for version 1.5.0, but rather 1.5.1 WIP, which
> happens features a renderer choice (SDL, OpenGL or GLSL).
>
> Thanks for having a look at the cookbook and libtcod, mate, hope you
> like them :).

One of the reasons I'm doing a 7DRL is to familiarize myself with
libcotd. I suspect it'll be relatively straightforward to write a
libtcod based terminal interface for Angband, which is another small
project I'd like to do. I also expect I'll try and push some code
upstream.

Andrew

mingos

Apr 1, 2010, 6:46:27 PM4/1/10
W dniu 10-04-02 00:32, Andrew Doull pisze:

Wow, TCODBand! Awesome!

If you need any help or tips regarding the use of the library, feel free
to contact me :)

--
Mingos

Andrew Doull

Apr 1, 2010, 10:05:15 PM4/1/10
Quick update: The biggest problem I'm running into so far is
preventing the players stealing or modifying each other's key presses
surreptiously on the same keyboard. I'm looking at you Shift key.
Since we can't distinguish between left and right shift keys, it is
possible for player 2 to press the right shift key so I can't use this
as a keyboard modifier for player 1. This means I have to modify the
control scheme somewhat, so that player 2 will end up using the mouse
as well. I hope I've made this sufficiently awkward for it not to give
the blue team too much of an advantage.

Since this is real time and somewhat frentic, I'm trying to avoid any
modal commands (e.g. press a key and then select a location to shoot).
Even the title screen where you select which map to play won't be
modal (I'm planning on following Jonathan Blow's lead here).

Andrew

Billy Bissette

Apr 2, 2010, 2:11:32 PM4/2/10
Fenrir <monstr...@gmail.com> wrote in news:86727fec-a298-4608-9ae4-
8679dc...@31g2000vbq.googlegroups.com:

I figured it was a joke on seeing the subject line. The text itself
makes it pretty obviously a joke.

But in all fairness, my newsreader dates the original posting as
March 31, not April 1. And people certainly have used 7DRL as a
method of reinterpreting other games.