7drl Success? Dark Valhalla: Prelude

Julian Jimenez

Mar 21, 2012, 11:25:18 AM3/21/12
First time trying to enter. I didn't realize it had to be posted
here.

Anyways, I posted my game over at the Rogue Temple. It's Dark
Valhalla: Prelude. It's a tabletop roguelike with a military/horror/
sci-fi/norse mythology theme.

To play, you only need the rules, graph paper, pencil, standard
playing cards, and regular six sided dice. I did this to keep with
the idea of abstract visualization presented by ascii. Plus it cuts
down a lot on players need to print and construct.

The rogue Temple post is here:
http://roguetemple.com/forums/index.php?topic=2242.0

It was posted on the 16th originally and was within the deadline.

corremn

Mar 22, 2012, 5:50:48 AM3/22/12
I dont think it has to be posted here anymore, but it certainly does not hurt. Really enjoyed reading the rules btw. Should be easy enough to convert to a online game and make money ;)

Julian Jimenez

Mar 23, 2012, 12:10:14 AM3/23/12

> I dont think it has to be posted here anymore, but it certainly does not hurt. Really enjoyed reading the rules btw. Should be easy enough to convert to a online game and make money ;)

Yeah, I know I posted it here kinda late. I only saw it on Bjorn's
list after I asked it be added. I figured it went under the radar as a
7drl so I figured I'd post it up here so more people could be aware of
it.

Glad you enjoyed the rules. I hope to have a "Codename: Valhalla"
dossier up this weekend which will be non-required to play, but add
some extra flavor with real item, weapon, and enemy descriptions as
well as a better background story concerning the actual archaeological
dig site.

"Convert to an online game and make money?" Not quite sure what you
mean. I'm guessing it's making a poke at the obvious fps influences in
the game. If that's the case, then yeah. I get the joke. :p

Julian Jimenez

Mar 25, 2012, 2:10:49 AM3/25/12
The Codename: Valhalla Dossier has been posted at the Rogue Temple
thread as well as a "Bug Fix" version.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0SZbVHCrTCJbHI1VDU2V05STy1nY29pV0tWczJydw

Burzmali

Mar 29, 2012, 4:37:43 PM3/29/12
Okay, trying to play this game and I'm running into a few problems. In no particular order:

1. All weapons are near guaranteed hit. The lowly shotgun hits only on a 1, but as the minimum number of dice you can roll for an attack is 9 (or 12 depending on if you re-roll a total of 3 times or you have a total of 3 rolls) your odds of hitting are 1 - (5/6) ^ 9(or 12), or 81(or 89)% and it goes up from there.

2. Monsters are even worst. Giant Spiders hit 99%, web 26%, and poison 3% per attack. The P. Marine hit on 52% of attacks, Dwarves 67% and everything else is 97% or higher.

3. A given level has a better than 25% chance of dead-ending before the key and exit are generated.

4. Leveling works against you. The higher your level, the more action dice you have, and the harder it is to pass luck and stamina tests. It's far safer to avoid combat and keep your level low.

Just a few quips from a tabletop RPG player.

julian.lg...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2012, 12:44:53 PM3/31/12
I put a response to your points in the Rogue Temple thread. I didn't want to go over them all again in here. Thank you very much for your input.