7DRL Challenge 2012 Coming Soon!

Jeff Lait

Mar 7, 2012, 3:28:58 PM3/7/12
The 2012 Seven Day Roguelike Challenge is almost upon us!

Sharpen your compilers and dust off your text editors, for as of March
10th it shall be time to start work on your roguelike!

As usual, you may start any time on Saturday or Sunday so long as you
stop 168 hours later. (And, yes, you must stop in the same timezone
you start - so don't forget to not adjust for daylight savings!)

You are also expected and encouraged to reuse existing code and
assets. This is not a typing challenge!
--
Jeff Lait

Tapio

Mar 8, 2012, 4:06:40 AM3/8/12
YES! The long wait is almost over \o/
Unfortunately for me, I figured out my 7drl project over a month ago so I've been itching to start it ever since. Luckily the time has been made bearable by tile engine development.

Darren Grey

Mar 8, 2012, 5:06:33 PM3/8/12
On Wednesday, 7 March 2012 20:28:58 UTC, Jeff Lait wrote:
> The 2012 Seven Day Roguelike Challenge is almost upon us!

Yes! I am far too excited...

New episode of Roguelike Radio out for those looking for some last minute advice or inspiration:

http://roguelikeradio.blogspot.com/2012/03/episode-26-how-to-make-7drl.html

It's myself, Jeff Lait, corremn, Ido Yehieli and Joe Bradshaw talking about how to make a (successful) 7DRL. Ignore all supposed advice at your leisure ;)

--
Darren Grey

XLambda

Mar 8, 2012, 8:15:12 PM3/8/12
It's my first time.... so exciting! :D

Todd Page

Mar 8, 2012, 8:46:18 PM3/8/12
Yeah, I was planning on sitting out this year and doing something
sensible, like putting all of that effort into one of the many other
unfinished games I have lying around...

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut then I listened to roguelike radio and, I'm in.
Again.

Good luck everyone!

Nolithius

Mar 9, 2012, 1:09:12 AM3/9/12
Excited to put together my first 7DRL! (amazing that I've never tackled one
of these before)

I've posted my plans and some teaser artwork for "The Adventurer's Guild"
(working title for the 7DRL) over at:
http://www.nolithius.com/game-design/plans-for-7drl-challenge

Cheers!

Ebyan "Nolithius" Alvarez-Buylla
http://www.nolithius.com

larsen....@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2012, 2:21:37 AM3/9/12
Has anyone created a Facebook event for this year's challenge? Someone did last year (http://www.facebook.com/events/177465255622423), and it worked pretty well.

Cheers,
Tom.

Ido Yehieli

Mar 9, 2012, 5:45:52 AM3/9/12
On Wednesday, March 7, 2012 9:28:58 PM UTC+1, Jeff Lait wrote:
> The 2012 Seven Day Roguelike Challenge is almost upon us!

I'm excited to participate once again!

Will start Monday morning in my time zone (CET) and work until Sunday night. The provisional name for my 7drl is Space Miner.

Have a good one everyone!

Todd Page

Mar 9, 2012, 6:49:06 AM3/9/12
I set up a Google+ "Page" this morning: https://plus.google.com/b/101905363844824989404/

This is my first time running a Page (+Page?) so if anyone else has
experience in such things, drop me a line on Google+ and I will set
you up as another Manager!

Todd Page

Mar 9, 2012, 8:21:25 AM3/9/12
Wow, that was fast... ;)

Already up to 8 people (+People?). Just going to go out on a limb and
guess this year's 7DRL challenge will be even bigger than last year!

jasonhp...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2012, 7:57:07 AM3/9/12
I am going to take a break from my current roguelike to try this out. I will probably be doing it in flash though and I might use ascii. I have only ever worked with graphical games so this should be Different.

Darren Grey

Mar 9, 2012, 8:55:44 AM3/9/12
Here you go:

http://www.facebook.com/events/317960784927396/

Invite everyone you know!

Brog

Mar 9, 2012, 9:52:00 AM3/9/12
Hi all!
I haven't been around these parts for some time. Used to loiter here several years ago. I remember being astonished that people could make a game in a week, and posting something to that effect. Later on I did enter the 2006 7DRL with a Nethack mod. Long ago. A couple of weekends ago I made ten games for the Pirate Kart. Think I've got the hang of this "making games quickly" thing now. I'm in.

Michael Brough
http://www.smestorp.com/

Joe M

Mar 9, 2012, 12:13:18 PM3/9/12
I just started playing around with libtcod last week and it's been really fun. I'm in!

N Igglesworth

Mar 9, 2012, 5:27:59 PM3/9/12
I shall be particpating this year also. This facebook nonsense
mentioned in this topic, I know nothing about. What I do know
something about, is that I shall be today and finishing next Saturday
at the same time. The provisional name for my 7drl is Road Survivor.

Nigel.

larsen....@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2012, 6:31:16 PM3/9/12
On Saturday, 10 March 2012 00:55:44 UTC+11, Darren Grey wrote:
> Here you go:
>
> http://www.facebook.com/events/317960784927396/
>
> Invite everyone you know!

Thanks! (And to Todd Page for creating a Google+ page for this year's challenge...)

I assume you've linked to the event from the 7DRL Challenge group on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=439150095067), but if not that might be a good idea. (Yeah, I'm one of *those* guys who doesn't use Facebook.) ;-)

Good luck!
Tom.

JO

Mar 10, 2012, 1:01:01 AM3/10/12
Dude I'm so in! I have all this stuff written down on paper. Time to
code!

-Jo