7DRL Success: Twelve Hours

62 views
Skip to first unread message

Trystan Spangler

unread,
Mar 12, 2011, 11:11:47 AM3/12/11
to
My 7DRL, initially called Late Start but now called Twelve Hours, is
done. You and the other heroes must save the villagers from swarms of
undead and survive twelve hours (720 turns). There's 3 different
weapons with different properties, 5 different enemies with different
abilities, and 6 other heroes with unique abilities as well.

Although it's technically complete, and can be entertaining to follow
the other heros around, it it often possible to survive by hiding
indoors and using villagers as meat-shields while the other heroes
bust some undead skulls. That wasn't what I was going for, and you
miss seeing what the heroes can do, but I guess that's what the other
cowardly villagers are trying to do as well. I seemed to get the best
score while protecting the priest or hanging with the samurai.

The only bug I know of is that once or twice it has stopped responding
and all the threads were suspended.

You can move (arrow keys, numpad, or vi keys) and swap your weapon or
armor with what's on the ground ([g] or [,]). You should press [?]
when you start to get a better idea of what's going on.

The source is on github at https://github.com/trystan/latestart7DRL

You can play it from your browser on my blog at
http://trystans.blogspot.com/2011/03/twelve-hours-my-2011-7drl.html

Darren Grey

unread,
Mar 13, 2011, 6:22:32 PM3/13/11
to
On Mar 12, 4:11 pm, Trystan Spangler <trysta...@comcast.net> wrote:
> My 7DRL, initially called Late Start but now called Twelve Hours, is
> done. You and the other heroes must save the villagers from swarms of
> undead and survive twelve hours (720 turns). There's 3 different
> weapons with different properties, 5 different enemies with different
> abilities, and 6 other heroes with unique abilities as well.
>
> Although it's technically complete, and can be entertaining to follow
> the other heros around, it it often possible to survive by hiding
> indoors and using villagers as meat-shields while the other heroes
> bust some undead skulls. That wasn't what I was going for, and you
> miss seeing what the heroes can do, but I guess that's what the other
> cowardly villagers are trying to do as well. I seemed to get the best
> score while protecting the priest or hanging with the samurai.
>
> The only bug I know of is that once or twice it has stopped responding
> and all the threads were suspended.
>
> You can move (arrow keys, numpad, or vi keys) and swap your weapon or
> armor with what's on the ground ([g] or [,]). You should press [?]
> when you start to get a better idea of what's going on.
>
> The source is on github athttps://github.com/trystan/latestart7DRL

>
> You can play it from your browser on my blog athttp://trystans.blogspot.com/2011/03/twelve-hours-my-2011-7drl.html

It doesn't appear on your blog for me, and when I checked the html
source and found the jar file that wouldn't work either.

--
Darren Grey

Trystan Spangler

unread,
Mar 14, 2011, 10:58:32 AM3/14/11
to
On Mar 13, 3:22 pm, Darren Grey <darrenjohng...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 12, 4:11 pm, Trystan Spangler <trysta...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > My 7DRL, initially called Late Start but now called Twelve Hours, is
> > done. You and the other heroes must save the villagers from swarms of
> > undead and survive twelve hours (720 turns). There's 3 different
> > weapons with different properties, 5 different enemies with different
> > abilities, and 6 other heroes with unique abilities as well.
>
> > Although it's technically complete, and can be entertaining to follow
> > the other heros around, it it often possible to survive by hiding
> > indoors and using villagers as meat-shields while the other heroes
> > bust some undead skulls. That wasn't what I was going for, and you
> > miss seeing what the heroes can do, but I guess that's what the other
> > cowardly villagers are trying to do as well. I seemed to get the best
> > score while protecting the priest or hanging with the samurai.
>
> > The only bug I know of is that once or twice it has stopped responding
> > and all the threads were suspended.
>
> > You can move (arrow keys, numpad, or vi keys) and swap your weapon or
> > armor with what's on the ground ([g] or [,]). You should press [?]
> > when you start to get a better idea of what's going on.
>
> > The source is on github at https://github.com/trystan/latestart7DRL
>
> > You can play it from your browser on my blog at http://trystans.blogspot.com/2011/03/twelve-hours-my-2011-7drl.html

>
> It doesn't appear on your blog for me, and when I checked the html
> source and found the jar file that wouldn't work either.
>
> --
> Darren Grey

I tested with Safari on OSX as well as Opera and IE7 on Windows 7; it
was there for each browser. Are you able to see Java applets on other
pages?

Darren Grey

unread,
Mar 14, 2011, 11:06:13 AM3/14/11
to
On Mar 14, 2:58 pm, Trystan Spangler <trysta...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Mar 13, 3:22 pm, Darren Grey <darrenjohng...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > On Mar 12, 4:11 pm, Trystan Spangler <trysta...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > > My 7DRL, initially called Late Start but now called Twelve Hours, is
> > > done. You and the other heroes must save the villagers from swarms of
> > > undead and survive twelve hours (720 turns). There's 3 different
> > > weapons with different properties, 5 different enemies with different
> > > abilities, and 6 other heroes with unique abilities as well.
>
> > > Although it's technically complete, and can be entertaining to follow
> > > the other heros around, it it often possible to survive by hiding
> > > indoors and using villagers as meat-shields while the other heroes
> > > bust some undead skulls. That wasn't what I was going for, and you
> > > miss seeing what the heroes can do, but I guess that's what the other
> > > cowardly villagers are trying to do as well. I seemed to get the best
> > > score while protecting the priest or hanging with the samurai.
>
> > > The only bug I know of is that once or twice it has stopped responding
> > > and all the threads were suspended.
>
> > > You can move (arrow keys, numpad, or vi keys) and swap your weapon or
> > > armor with what's on the ground ([g] or [,]). You should press [?]
> > > when you start to get a better idea of what's going on.
>
> > > The source is on github athttps://github.com/trystan/latestart7DRL
>
> > > You can play it from your browser on my blog athttp://trystans.blogspot.com/2011/03/twelve-hours-my-2011-7drl.html

>
> > It doesn't appear on your blog for me, and when I checked the html
> > source and found the jar file that wouldn't work either.
>
>
> I tested with Safari on OSX as well as Opera and IE7 on Windows 7; it
> was there for each browser. Are you able to see Java applets on other
> pages?

I am indeed. I'm running Firefox on 64-bit XP. I'll check if my Java
thingummy is up to date and get back to you...

--
Darren Grey

Trystan Spangler

unread,
Mar 14, 2011, 12:05:14 PM3/14/11
to

I'm not a Java guy by day so I may not have deployed everything
correctly.

If nothing else works, you can download the source (https://github.com/
trystan/latestart7DRL/zipball/master) and compile and run it from a
local web page or applet runner. I don't know if it's worth doing all
that just to press [.] and watch some z's terrorize some hapless @'s
though.

Trystan Spangler

unread,
Mar 16, 2011, 1:11:52 PM3/16/11
to

You can now download the jar file and run it locally.

https://sites.google.com/site/trystansprojects/latestart7DRL_final.jar

Darren Grey

unread,
Mar 16, 2011, 5:36:08 PM3/16/11
to

Works! Funky game, though some sort of ability to see a map overview
would be nice.

--
Darren Grey

Trystan Spangler

unread,
Mar 16, 2011, 7:19:56 PM3/16/11
to

Thanks for trying it! Being just one hero among many didn't turn out
to be as fun as I hoped but I'm mostly happy with it. I was thinking
of doing a part 2; any other suggestions?

Darren Grey

unread,
Mar 16, 2011, 8:59:35 PM3/16/11
to

Well it might be more interesting if you could do battle calls and
give instructions to the heroes. Also I'd reduce the range of the
knockback weapons - they become annoying rather than useful. Some
ability to lay traps might be nice too, though perhaps that should
come from a Rogue class option.

There's a few ways you could do multiple classes actually. Archery
would be ranged but lower damage and higher miss chance. Wizard would
be AoE, so dangerous to use around other heroes. Rogues would lay
traps and use stealth. Necromancers could charm the undead and get
them to fight each other. Priests could do smiting + healing, etc.

--
Darren Grey

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages