It's less than an hour until my 7 days are up, so I pushed the button, signed the application, and I'm releasing it into the wild. (http://www.coyotemischief.com/2419/2419RL.apk
) The Inventory and B buttons are non-operational, and the A button is used both to activate Targeting Mode and to Fire. It's more of a toy than a game at this point. I'm not really sure I can call it a challenge success, but I'm glad I got this far.
There's still a lot missing. There's no ending, the player cannot be hurt. The game has a default icon and no splash/title screen, the outdoor terrain uses a single graphic instead of pulling from a variety of tiles. The inventory system was never completed, items are not generated, and the A&B buttons cannot be assigned. The game cannot be saved. And I only got to test it on two real devices. I'd be curious to see what it looks like on other devices-- and if there are any it plain doesn't work on. I have my suspicions on minimum screen requirements, for example.
All in all, I learned some valuable things about how much time I can really devote to a 7 day programming challenge and about how valuable it is to have a good plan before hand. While that second part might look like it was a negative, it was actually something I succeeded on quite well. I had diagramed out the UI beforehand and knew what the basic game flow was going to be. I still ended up with three or four classes that never got used, and needed to rewrite certain functions a two or three times, but all in all, the game looks like I had mostly planned it to. I know I started out with a closer zoomed in look on the tiles and had no LOS code planned, but in the end the decision to use smaller tiles and LOS was the correct one.
I also learned that I still haven't found a best image editor for my macbook. Even in this screenshot you can see that the green on the doors does not match the green on the walls, and the cursor purple is different than the player purple. Apparently when loading a saved png with seashore, the color gets washed out for some reason. And I learned that I work best in a quiet room, sitting at a desk or table, hopefully with (but not necessarily) a couple of other people also programming. I sort of already knew this from the Yachtclub, (a 2-day programming jam) but as I was doing a lot of coding this week on the train, at home, and even a little at work, it became even more apparent what my ideal environment was. I was shocked sometimes at how much got accomplished on the train.
Even if I may not have a full game right now-- I think I might tinker on this some more at some point later. Certainly not later this day, or later this week. Possibly later in the month and beyond that-- further development becomes more likely. There's still features I want to implement and test out and find out how long it would actually take to get it to where I imagined I could within the original 7 days. In terms of coding time, not actual time.
Taking away from this 7DRL, I certainly know that next time I want to keep track of coding time. I didn't do it this time and didn't even think about it until I was two days in. Next time I'll also want to schedule a day or two off of work. And-- hopefully next time I won't stress myself out too much. I apologize again to anyone who I was terse or cranky with this past week, and now that I can get some rest, I should be back to my everyday pleasant self. Also, next time I'll likely participate in the community blog (http://7drl.org/
) as well.
Finally, for anyone who tries this out, please send me your feedback, bug reports, or thoughts. Either as a reply here on r.g.d.r. , in my G+ post (https://plus.google.com/u/0/106913965879181641683/posts/Ymkjkq6J8fR
) or just emailing me on gmail at apiskel.