what is angband support for no numpad?

Julian

Oct 7, 2023, 6:00:07 AM10/7/23
I can use the arrows, but no diagonals.

kohlerry

Oct 7, 2023, 8:18:24 PM10/7/23
On Saturday, October 7, 2023 at 10:00:07 AM UTC, Julian wrote:
> I can use the arrows, but no diagonals.
You can use the roguelike keyset by hitting the '=' key, and changing the use roguelike keyset option in the user interface options(although this massively changes button layout). Also you could edit keymaps, define another key, buy a USB keypad, or use a third party software to create a keymap. These are options I had to go explore when I had a laptop without a numpad when I was jonesing for Zangband.

kohlerry

Oct 7, 2023, 8:20:46 PM10/7/23
Also, The end, pgup, pgdn and home keys work, if you have those.

Toronto Backlawn

Oct 9, 2023, 1:12:53 PM10/9/23
On Sat, 07 Oct 2023 03:00:05 -0700, Julian wrote:

> I can use the arrows, but no diagonals.

In the settings, switch the control scheme to the Roguelike. This places
movement on an alternate cluster of keys, yuhjklbn. Hit ? to see other
differences between the original Angband control scheme, and the alternate
Roguelike scheme.

David Chmelik

Oct 13, 2023, 8:48:50 PM10/13/23
On Sat, 7 Oct 2023 03:00:05 -0700 (PDT), Julian wrote:

> I can use the arrows, but no diagonals.

Check whether you have NUMLOCK on or off.

Julian

Oct 14, 2023, 12:26:34 PM10/14/23
I'm afraid there is no NUMLOCK. Shall we say off?

Eddie Grove

Oct 14, 2023, 5:38:51 PM10/14/23
I have no idea if this will help, but I just used the query keymap in
4.2.5 on the 7/Home key on my keyboard. It returned

;7

You could try setting keymaps for whichever keys to ; followed by the
numbers from 1 to 9. The exception is the stay still 5 key which does
not return ;5, but instead appears to return a comma: ,
There's no easy way to see whether there are trailing spaces.

Julian

Oct 14, 2023, 8:24:04 PM10/14/23
I have it set to the roguelike keyset now. Using this option just made 4.2.5 playable for me.