Tales of the Bold Rogue

Eddie Grove

Jun 10, 2008, 3:31:42 AM6/10/08

I will be writing a serious of long rambling poorly composed posts describing
a game I played testing out my current patch for Vanilla. If you are not
interested, kill this thread now.

This post is meant to anchor the thread so that people can view the thread
properly as a tree. Please, pretty please, reply to the other posts and not
to this one.

Eddie

Eddie Grove

Jun 10, 2008, 3:42:12 AM6/10/08

This is a fairly detailed description of a recent game, playing the WIP
version of a patch I will release eventually. I do not follow any of the
advice I gave in the recent "sell sell sell" thread. I find the game much
more enjoyable when the emphasis is on using items rather than selling them.
I have made many modifications to Vanilla, most of which are minor. E.g.,
when you put on an unidentified item that causes an obvious effect, you are
informed. Thus you don't have to squint at the screen to check for an
increased light radius, nor hit 'C' 'l' to check whether a stat increased.
Squelching is vastly improved. E.g. you can squelch all (2d5) weapons
weighing at least 13 lbs that have no obvious magical properties.

My patch also includes some significant gameplay changes. Jewelry pseudos
just like weapons and armor. Elementally branded weapons are considered
obvious when wielded. Selling items to stores is disallowed, and to
compensate money drops are roughly tripled at 100', tapering down linearly to
standard money drops at 5000'. Characters start with 500 AU, roughly the
amount an autorolled standard char would have after selling the starting heavy
weapon.

I play with disconnected stairs so I don't have to resist the temptation to
stair scum. When I toss in a goal to minimize turncount, I find that I can
attempt to play "optimally" and still avoid tedium.

I use a lot of shorthand. Hopefully it will be pretty obvious. I will use
"bolt" to refer to a particular type of spell that travels to the first target
it hits, beams pass through, and balls explode for damage in a radius. I call
xbow ammo "quarrels" to differentiate. The 4 base elements are fire, cold,
elec, and acid. I will use the symbol for an item to refer to it, such as
-elecBolt for a wand of lightning bolts. When I remember, I will use
-ElecBolt for a rod, capitalizing the first word. I will use '*' to refer to
a spell, so the mage spell is *elecBeam. 'd' means detect, 'r' means remove
or resist or restore, 's' means slay or sustain.

Come read how I play.

Trip 1:

I start a half-troll rogue with base str 17, int 16, dex 14, con 16. My
point-based char generation is boosted to be roughly equivalent to the
auto-roller, with 24 points to spend boosting stats above 10, but it costs 2
points rather than 1 to boost from 16 to 17. Any diving char with strong
pseudo should start with 3 blows, so I put extra emphasis on str to get the
third blow. Dex does not matter in the early game, so that is the stat I
underemphasize.

In town, there are no ?phase for sale. I usually buy 1. I buy a dagger,
?recall, sling, !CLW, and !hero.

At 50', I find the stairs before I find any monsters.

At 100', I land in a room with a sleeping large brown snake. No threat and no
drop means I ignore it. I find the stairs in the next room.

At 150', I enter a room with a pack of jackals. I do not want to leave them
behind in case I am forced to retreat, so I kill them. I later kill a
centipede for cLevels 2 and 3. I kill random monsters blocking corridors for
cLevel 4. I pick up quarrels and arrows, no shots, seems a little strange. I
hurt a nov warrior and it flees. Lacking a launcher, I just let it go rather
than chasing it. He comes back twice, and I finally kill him.

At 200', I step on a summoning trap and really wish I had ?phase. [I never
use search mode, and search manually only when obvious to do so.] I scare off
a nov mage to one side, then kill two caveorcs for two levels and they keep
coming. I !hero and !CCW and kill two more for cLevel 7. I have 8 hp when I
scare the last one away, and I rest until it returns. I gain *dVis [short for
"d"etect "Vis"ible monsters] and *phase. Now I am willing to test potions so
long as mana and hp are both below max. For the time being, I will *dVis
whenever I reach full mana. I find a green worm, which is wimpy enough to use
as a subject to test wands, and I am careful to step adjacent first to see the
wall behind it. If the effect is stoneToMud, I want to be sure to gain
awareness.

At 250', I go out of my way to kill a worm. Breeders must die ASAP. When I
get to 5 exp away from the next level, I make an exception and cast *phase for
exp. The only time I cast spells for exp is when it will immediately gain a
level. Now I gain *dStairs [silly name "find traps and doors" ignores the
most important feature], and that will use most of my mana for a long time. I
should mention that I play on a standard vt-terminal sized screen, and I make
a point to try to cast detections on sectors both of whose coords are even.
The top left corner is (0,0), and ideally I try to detect when an even number
of right arrows and an even number of down arrows will scroll from the top
left corner to my current sector. I kill Fang. A main gauche pseudos {avg},
so I upgrade my dagger, notice it merged with one lacking pseudo in my pack
[my patch]. I believe in the principal that identifying objects might tell
you something about them, but it should never effect how they act, so if they
stack after id they should stack before id.

At 300', two rings pseudo as cursed [my patch], and I squelch those flavors
without bothering to id them or try to learn them. I pick up a dagger that
does not merge with the one I bought in town, therefore know it is not +0+0.
I squelch an avg cutlass. Even good, would not be interested in 1-blow
weapon. My pack is getting full, so I test scrolls when I reach the stairs.
One is ?phase, and on my return I see a scruffy hobbit. I decide to risk a
shortbow I have been carrying forever, since I have arrows, and it turns out
to be cursed. I know it is not {Nazgul} since my patch gives a notice of
obvious effects such as drain exp. I shoot anyway, miss, kill with melee.

At 350', I kill some caveorcs for cLevel 9 and gain *light. I try shooting
some arrows when they are non-adjacent, 2 of 4 do damage. Perhaps my bow is
-2 dam. At a lull, I decide to *dVis to see how many are left, fail 4 times
in a row. By the time I kill them all I have reached cLevel 10. I could
learn *dMoney, but I don't bother with that spell. When I reach the stairs,
check my pack, have a mushroom. I insist on having !CLW in case I test
mush{blind}, which lasts FOREVER. I have 3 so go for it. It confuses me, and
I rest. I test two more scrolls, one is ?darkness blinding me, but I remember
this one doesn't last too long and I rest rather than !CLW.

At 400', a mace pseudos {avg}, so I squelch it and all avg blunt weapons.
Extra dice are always at least good, so my main gauche beats all avg blunt. I
head off, reach a dead end, return and a single cave orc comes. After I kill
it, *dVis shows Lagduf with escort nearby. I will try to avoid them. I
squelch another flavor on a cursed ring, not deep enough to worry it is a bad
version of a good flavor.

At 450', my only excitement is trying to hurt a fleeing cobra with my wimpy
cursed bow.

At 500', there is a white tick sleeping next to the exit to the room. I
decide to fight, so that when I am poisoned I can test a potion I tested once
before unsuccessfully. After my first round of melee, I am afraid I may kill
it without being poisoned, search a few times to let it get me. I still don't
learn the potion, maybe boldness? I test ?summon on the stairs, and before I
descend I check my turncount. I am 10% of the way down, over 29K turns, a bit
worse than usual. I try to manage this in 25K turns. I have no items of
interest except -lightBeam[14], though I have a dagger waiting to pseudo in my
pack. I should mention that charges on wands are apparent without needing id
in my patch.

At 550', I see Wormtongue in a lit room ahead. I also see a wand in it. Is
it worth losing 10% of my 1334 AU to pick up a new wand? I already know
-lightBeam, so the only other important wands are -stoneToMud and -telOther,
pretty unlikely. It would be a real disaster if he stole multiple times, so I
flee. A spear psuedos {excellent}, which is not as good as it sounds since in
my patch an item with an obvious power pseudos as {splendid}, and that
includes branded weapons. It will just be an ordinary slay weapon. Still, it
might be better than an unenchanted main gauche, so I wield it. I kill a pack
of nov paladins and a rattler for cLevel 11 and gain *CLW. I test !confusion
on the stairs, have to rest.

At 600', I pick up and test a rod, nothing. I know it is -dTraps, but it may
take a long time to officially learn the flavor. Until then, I have to give a
direction when using it. I inscribe it !! so I can tell about charging
status.

At 650', it takes a long time to find a way down, but then *dStairs shows 3
stairs and a trapdoor all in the same sector. I *dVis, to see who is in a
likely treasure room. No real danger, so I go to loot it. There is a rot
jelly guarding the stairs, so I take the trapdoor.

At 700', I head through a dark room and "it magically summons help". I get
out the other side, *dVis succeeding on the 4th try, and a priest is coming.
I am in a corridor with snagas on the other side. I melee away, and towards
the end a babyBlue comes to surround me, so I have to run past it giving it a
couple free hits. I check the log, and it took 9 hits with the spear to kill
it, so my spear is marginally better than my main gauche. A dagger psuedos
{good}, presumably better than either. An amulet pseudos {cursed}, squelch
the flavor. Then I see Broda, who has more hp and does more damage than I do.
My only chance to kill would be to use -wonder, but that is risky. I ?recall
and flee.

I return to town with 3814 AU. There is nothing much for sale in town that I
can afford except for ?+dam. The question is whether to enchant my good
dagger or buy a main gauche and start from scratch. I ?id the dagger, (+6,+2)
is worth keeping. I buy 3 spare ?MB1 [mage book 1] and ?rCurse and !hero and
4 !CCW. Now I can wield an amulet and cloak without pseudo. I buy !bold and
!CSW for awareness. I buy all 20 ?phase to clear the slot, and can afford 8
?+dam. I have a little money left, so I buy 1 ?id. It is very useful in a
diving game to buy all of the items in a store slot when you can, because that
leads to faster restocking. This is very very important.

[Angband 3.0.9ef Character Dump]

Name Rast Self RB CB EB Best
Sex Male Age 23 STR: 17 +4 +2 +0 18/50
Race Half-Troll Height 106 INT: 16 -4 +1 +0 13
Class Rogue Weight 236 WIS: 10 -2 -2 +0 6
Title Footpad Status 1 DEX: 14 -4 +3 +0 13
HP 149/149 Maximize Y CON: 16 +3 +1 +0 18/20
SP 9/9 CHR: 10 -6 -1 +0 3

Level 12 Armor [8,+0] Saving Throw 32
Cur Exp 1041 Fight (+1,+3) Stealth 4
Max Exp 1041 Melee (+7,+11) Fighting 149
Adv Exp 1232 Shoot (+1,+0) Shooting 95
MaxDepth 700 ft Blows 3/turn Disarming 60
Turns 44553 Shots 1/turn Magic Device 37
Gold 13 Infra 30 ft Perception 29
Burden 78.3 lbs Energy 100% Searching 31

Your father was a Stone-Troll Warrior. You have slime-green eyes,
dirty sea-weed green hair, and white scabby skin.

abcdefghijkl@ abcdefghijkl@
Acid:............. Blind:.............
Elec:............. Confu:.............
Fire:............. Sound:.............
Cold:............. Shard:.............
Pois:............. Nexus:.............
Fear:............. Nethr:.............
Lite:............. Chaos:.............
Dark:............. Disen:.............

abcdefghijkl@ abcdefghijkl@
S.Dig:............. Stea.:.............
Feath:............. Sear.:.............
PLite:............. Infra:.............
Regen:............+ Tunn.:.............
Telep:............. Speed:.............
Invis:............. Blows:.............
FrAct:............. Shots:.............
HLife:............. Might:.............

[Character Equipment]

a) a Dagger (1d4) (+6,+8)
You get 3 blows per round with this weapon.
b) a Short Bow (x2) {cursed}
c) (nothing)
d) (nothing)
e) a Bone Amulet {tried}
Possible flavors are:
Searching Teleportation Slow Digestion Resist Acid Adornment
Sustenance Resistance Resist Lightning & Amulet~ & Amulet~ &
Necklace~ & Elfstone~ & Jewel~.
f) a Wooden Torch (5697 turns)
It usually provides light of radius 2, though this is reduced when
running of out fuel.
g) Soft Studded Leather [5,+0]
h) a Cloak [1] {tried}
i) (nothing)
j) (nothing)
k) (nothing)
l) a Pair of Soft Leather Boots [2] {good}

[Character Inventory]

a) 2 Books of Magic Spells [Magic for Beginners] {@m1 @G1}
b) 3 Rations of Food
c) a Piece of Elvish Waybread
d) a Potion of Boldness
e) 2 Potions of Heroism
f) 2 Potions of Cure Light Wounds
g) a Potion of Cure Serious Wounds
h) 4 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
i) 20 Scrolls of Phase Door
j) 2 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
k) a Scroll of Identify {@r1}
l) a Scroll of Remove Curse
m) a Rod of Trap Location {@z5 !!}
Your success rate is 96.8%, if confused 92.3%.

n) a Wand of Stone to Mud (6 charges)
Your success rate is 96.2%, if confused 87.5%.

o) a Wand of Light (14 charges) {@a3}
Your success rate is 97.0%, if confused 93.3%.

p) a Wand of Wonder (18 charges)
Your success rate is 97.0%, if confused 93.3%.

q) 2 Staffs of Cure Light Wounds (18 charges)
Your success rate is 96.8%, if confused 92.3%.

r) 2 Daggers (1d4) (+0,+0)
You get 3 blows per round with this weapon.
s) a Short Bow (x2) (+0,+0)
t) 40 Arrows (1d4) (+0,+0) {@f1}
u) 28 Arrows (1d4) {good}

[Home Inventory]

a) 2 Books of Magic Spells [Magic for Beginners] {@m1 @G1}
b) a Spear (1d6) {excellent}
Possible egos include:
of Slay Animal of Slay Evil of Slay Undead of Slay Demon of Slay
Orc of Slay Troll of Slay Giant of Slay Dragon.
You get 2 blows per round with this weapon. With additional +5 str
you would get 3 blows.
c) 24 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0)

[Options]

Adult: Maximize effect of race/class bonuses : yes (adult_maximize)
Adult: Randomize some of the artifacts (beta): no (adult_randarts)
Adult: Auto-scum for good levels : no (adult_autoscum)
Adult: Restrict the use of stairs/recall : no (adult_ironman)
Adult: Restrict the use of stores/home : no (adult_no_stores)
Adult: Restrict creation of artifacts : no (adult_no_artifacts)
Adult: Don't stack objects on the floor : no (adult_no_stacking)
Adult: Preserve artifacts when leaving level : no (adult_no_preserve)
Adult: Don't generate connected stairs : yes (adult_no_stairs)
Adult: Monsters chase current location : yes (adult_ai_sound)
Adult: Monsters chase recent locations : yes (adult_ai_smell)
Adult: Monsters act smarter in groups : yes (adult_ai_packs)
Adult: Monsters learn from their mistakes : no (adult_ai_learn)
Adult: Monsters exploit players weaknesses : no (adult_ai_cheat)
Adult: Monsters behave more intelligently (broken): no (adult_ai_smart)
Score: Peek into object creation : no (score_peek)
Score: Peek into monster creation : no (score_hear)
Score: Peek into dungeon creation : no (score_room)
Score: Peek into something else : no (score_xtra)
Score: Know complete monster info : no (score_know)
Score: Allow player to avoid death : no (score_live)

The Wanderer

Jun 10, 2008, 7:11:34 AM6/10/08
Eddie Grove wrote:

> At 250', I go out of my way to kill a worm. Breeders must die ASAP.
> When I get to 5 exp away from the next level, I make an exception and
> cast *phase for exp. The only time I cast spells for exp is when it
> will immediately gain a level.

Huh. My opinion on this fluctuates with time, but much of the time I
will explicitly refrain from casting a spell for experience when I am
near gaining a level, because at the next level the same number of
experience points will be harder to gain from monsters and therefore
will be more valuable. Occasionally I do it anyway as a strategic
decision, but...

> Now I gain *dStairs [silly name "find traps and doors" ignores the
> most important feature], and that will use most of my mana for a long
> time. I should mention that I play on a standard vt-terminal sized
> screen, and I make a point to try to cast detections on sectors both
> of whose coords are even. The top left corner is (0,0), and ideally I
> try to detect when an even number of right arrows and an even number
> of down arrows will scroll from the top left corner to my current
> sector.

This happens to be exactly how I approach the use of that detection
spell - although I'm not certain I agree that the detection of stairs is
*more* important than the other two, at least not in the early game.

> I kill Fang. A main gauche pseudos {avg}, so I upgrade my dagger,
> notice it merged with one lacking pseudo in my pack [my patch]. I
> believe in the principal that identifying objects might tell you
> something about them, but it should never effect how they act, so if
> they stack after id they should stack before id.

It makes perfect sense from an in-game perspective: the character knows
that the identified dagger has X characteristics, and does not know
whether or not the unidentified one has the same characteristics, and so
does not bundle the two together.

The flaw in this is that that lack of bundling would not rationally have
any effect on how much space the items take up, but that is a problem
more with a generally slot-based approach to inventory than with the
stacking behaviour IMO.

> At 300', two rings pseudo as cursed [my patch], and I squelch those
> flavors without bothering to id them or try to learn them. I pick up
> a dagger that does not merge with the one I bought in town, therefore
> know it is not +0+0.

This is an example of the point: how would the character know, simply by
having a dagger of that nature, that this newly found one is also of the
same nature, when they would not know if they happened to have seen the
first dagger but not be carrying it anymore?

It might be possible to make an argument based on similar-quality items
having similar appearance, but that is if I'm not mistaken the basis of
pseudo-ID, and reusing it for something with this much stronger of an
effect doesn't seem appropriate...

--
The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.

Eddie Grove

Jun 10, 2008, 11:17:51 AM6/10/08
The Wanderer <inverse...@comcast.net> writes:

> Eddie Grove wrote:

> > At 300', two rings pseudo as cursed [my patch], and I squelch those
> > flavors without bothering to id them or try to learn them. I pick up
> > a dagger that does not merge with the one I bought in town, therefore
> > know it is not +0+0.
>
> This is an example of the point: how would the character know, simply by
> having a dagger of that nature, that this newly found one is also of the
> same nature, when they would not know if they happened to have seen the
> first dagger but not be carrying it anymore?

Because they look identical and you can compare side-by-side?

I would prefer that once you know a (1d4)(+0,+0) you immediately recognize all
such in the future, of course.

I think the full plusses should be apparent the instant you wield an item.
Maybe even sooner. Magical and finely crafted items might be argued to be
made from superior materials, and you would be able to notice the dreck with a
glance. As you should recall, I am opposed even to the existence of the
identify spell.

My personal preferences are too radical, so I have contented myself with
"gameplay should not be affected by id".

> It might be possible to make an argument based on similar-quality items
> having similar appearance, but that is if I'm not mistaken the basis of
> pseudo-ID,

That has nothing to do with pseudo AFAICS. A particular dagger does not
pseudo any faster when you are carrying 5 others. Viewpoints differ, I guess.

> and reusing it for something with this much stronger of an
> effect doesn't seem appropriate...

Characters with strong pseudo don't really make use of it. Carrying avg items
uses a slot you could use to pseudo the new one. I merely mentioned it in the
interest of full disclosure.

Eddie

The Wanderer

Jun 10, 2008, 6:52:00 PM6/10/08
Eddie Grove wrote:

> The Wanderer <inverse...@comcast.net> writes:
>
>> Eddie Grove wrote:
>
>>> At 300', two rings pseudo as cursed [my patch], and I squelch
>>> those flavors without bothering to id them or try to learn them.
>>> I pick up a dagger that does not merge with the one I bought in
>>> town, therefore know it is not +0+0.
>>
>> This is an example of the point: how would the character know,
>> simply by having a dagger of that nature, that this newly found one
>> is also of the same nature, when they would not know if they
>> happened to have seen the first dagger but not be carrying it
>> anymore?
>
> Because they look identical and you can compare side-by-side?

I don't think that necessarily applies. Two daggers which would be just
as easy or hard to hit with and do just as much or little damage when
hitting could easily look very different - style of hilt and guard,
exact details of how the blade is put together, details of decoration
(or the lack thereof); likewise, if you allow for enchantments of the
"guiding the hand" sort and so forth, two identical-looking blades could
behave very differently in combat.

> I would prefer that once you know a (1d4)(+0,+0) you immediately
> recognize all such in the future, of course.

That's a bit of a different argument, from a gameplay perspective,
although it would probably run into some of the same "rationale"
objections; I think I would find it easier to swallow, even though it
might make less sense in in-continuity terms.

Actually, see below on "improving pseudo-ID"; it could allow something
like this which I would find reasonable even in-continuity.

> I think the full plusses should be apparent the instant you wield an
> item. Maybe even sooner. Magical and finely crafted items might be
> argued to be made from superior materials, and you would be able to
> notice the dreck with a glance. As you should recall, I am opposed
> even to the existence of the identify spell.

Fine craftsmanship, superior materials, and possibly even enchantments
might be something which could be seen, but A) determining exact bonuses
based on that would be quite another matter, and B) recognizing those
*is* in fact *precisely* what pseudo-ID is supposed to be about - the
character's ability to identify these sorts of things from their own
past (pre-start-of-game) experience. Recognizing that an item is good is
one thing, and easily justifiable, even to the point of instant
pseudo-ID if you want to go in that direction; recognizing exactly the
ways in and degree to which it is good is quite another.

I'm not necessarily opposed to a game in which everything is identified
immediately, but I do think it would be a very different game from
vanilla Angband as I've experienced it so far, and I'm not sure I'd be
interested in replacing the one with the other.

> My personal preferences are too radical, so I have contented myself
> with "gameplay should not be affected by id".
>
>> It might be possible to make an argument based on similar-quality
>> items having similar appearance, but that is if I'm not mistaken
>> the basis of pseudo-ID,
>
> That has nothing to do with pseudo AFAICS. A particular dagger does
> not pseudo any faster when you are carrying 5 others. Viewpoints
> differ, I guess.

No, it doesn't - but as above, pseudo-ID is supposed to be a
manifestation of the character's familiarity with that general type of
item, and (derived from that) ability to figure out from examining the
item how good it is likely to be. You could certainly argue that having
seen more items of a given type and stats should make pseudo-ID of the
next one faster and possibly more accurate, and I'd probably agree with
that argument; you could argue that pseudo-ID should be instant (or
become so after having pseudo'd, and perhaps then IDed, enough of the
item), and I might agree with that as well; you could even argue that
past a certain point the improving pseudo-ID should translate into full
ID, and I might agree with that in turn. I just don't think that instant
full ID based on having (or having seen) one single item of the type is
reasonable.

Eddie Grove

Jun 10, 2008, 11:13:14 PM6/10/08

Trip 2:

I go down still wielding my cursed shortbow. I'd like to be able to keep
?rCurse in reserve until the bow becomes necessary.

At 700', *dStairs shows the way down just a few steps away. I always enjoy
ditching the recall level more than the others.

At 750', I land adjacent to a babyBronze. It breathes a couple of times, and
I stay confused for a long time. I guess I should have used !CSW. I didn't
need it for the kill, trying to hoard all resources, but gameturns are a
resource too. I encounter a destruction zone, but it is on the edge and
*dStairs shows nothing so I do not have to explore it.

At 800', something invis scares me and saps my dex, and I wish I had my
replacement bow wielded when I bump into it. I try -wonder and that works.
Then a gnome mage appears, and I ?rCurse to swap bows and shoot with good
arrows. They are ineffective, and it summons fire hounds before I kill it. I
step up to close a door, another mage shows, so there must be a pack. I kill
it for cLevel 13 and gain *dObj. I go to the next room, but there are two
paths and I get surrounded, and another mage summons a griffon. I cannot kill
my opps fast enough, too many hounds. I need repeated ?phase to escape.
About the 4th one gets me to another room with only one entrance, and I kill
hounds as they come for cLevel 14 and 15.

At 850', I try some mushrooms, lose a point of int. I face dark hounds, kill
first for cLevel 16. No room nearby. I go around, *dStairs, see stairs under
the hounds. I go back, fight my way through to the stairs and go down blind.
I should have mentioned long ago that "stairs" means stairs going down, and I
will use "upstairs" to refer to stairs going up.

At 900', I !CLW first thing so I can see. A warhammer(3d3) pseudos {good},
and I squelch. That's not nearly enough base damage for 1 blow. It takes
forever, but I finally get to the stairs, and "it touches you" one step away.
I head straight down.

At 950', *dStairs shows two stairs and upstairs and a trap apparently in the
same room. I *dVis to look for danger, no visible monsters by the stairs, but
a panther is two steps away, not too hard to kill. I am in a destruction
zone, but I find the way without needing a single backtrack. The stairs turn
out just to be a normal pillared room. It seems to me that pillared rooms
often contain stairs.

At 1000', the stairs are in the first room. I check my turncount, nearly 58K
turns, maintaining my sedate pace. I have a mushroom to try, jump into a pit
for some damage so I can test it. I take some more damage on the way to the
stairs, don't bother to rest.

At 1050', I am still hurt and land next to a sabretooth. I melee a couple
rounds then ?phase and start using _CLW. I only use one charge before it
steps near, ?phase again. I _CLW some more, and when forced to melee I drop
to 11 hp before I kill it. I *dVis to look for danger, and there is creeping
copper that I will search out for the money. I find it in a large room having
recovered to 60 hp, no need to _CLW, can shoot from afar. I melee a zombie on
the way to the stairs, have nearly recovered with 158/187 hp.

At 1100', I land in a moat, fail 3 times with *dStairs, use -dTraps. No
traps, unlikely to be a treasure room, notice shambling mound around the bend
in the moat. I leave the area. I have truly terrible luck casting *dStairs,
have to find them the old-fashioned way. At the stairs, before descending, I
test _dStairs, which will help in the future.

At 1150', I land amongst blink dogs. I think it will just be melee ping-pong,
but I keep landing next to a potion mimic and killing that has a higher
priority. After I kill the dogs, I test !heal, a bit of a waste. My pack is
full, so I decide that the time to squelch -wonder has arrived. I notice I
reached cLevel 17 some time, presumably killing blink dogs.

At 1200', I detect the stairs, but cannot find the way. I kill a pack of
white wolves then a few black orcs for cLevel 18. Should mention good arrows
are not that effective, so in the future I will use them before avg arrows to
try to free a slot.

At 1250', I make it to the stairs without seeing anyone.

At 1300' get hungry, eat, check that !saltWater is still unaware, so I should
eat only when hungry. I find the stairs in the second sector before I get to
the point to detect. It is always nice to save mana. No monsters either.

At 1350', land in a room with a pack of clear hounds. Luckily I am next to
the exit. I step out and melee, and they keep coming, perhaps it was not a
room. I have _dEvil, and it is time to start using it when I do my other
detections. There are 9 cave ogres guarding the stairs. I am the equal of 2
or 3, not of 9, at least without a decent launcher. I head away. Later,
*dVis shows an angel, another to be avoided. The game is starting to get more
interesting.

At 1400', something hastes itself and confuses me. I !CSW, and it hits me
with a frost bolt. I need to get away, but only escape is ?phase. I try,
stay in the room, confused again this time I !CCW. It finally steps into
view, only a mage, and one -manaBolt [my term for "magic missile"] makes it
teleport away. I step toward the edge of the room, see a ranger just outside.
I would like to telSelf, but that is not an available option, so I had better
kill him quickly. I get him before he summons. I explore, off one way and
back and then another, come to rubble and *dVis before I dig. Two mages and
Khim and an ogre mage are in the vicinity. I still do not have enough money
for _telSelf, but this level is dangerous and I have no clue how to go down.
Or even up. I ?recall. I reach full mana while waiting for it to kick in,
cast *CLW and *dObj for exp. That's another time I cast spells for exp.

I return to town with 4435 AU. I kill Maggot for a lance, unlikely to be
useful. I buy =SI, a longbow, and feel a little depressed. Every useful item
I have was bought in town, except for my unknown amulet. I've reached the
point where I should travel with 4 ?recall, so I buy them. I also buy 2
rations and a torch and 99 arrows. I buy 1 ?+hit for awareness, and spend
most of my remaining money on 6 ?+dam. I have some cash left, buy ?dMoney and
?dInv for awareness. No ?id for sale.

[Angband 3.0.9ef Character Dump]

Name Rast Self RB CB EB Best
Sex Male Age 23 STR: 17 +4 +2 +0 18/50

Race Half-Troll Height 106 Int: 16 -4 +1 +0 13 12

Class Rogue Weight 236 WIS: 10 -2 -2 +0 6

Title Robber Status 1 Dex: 14 -4 +3 +0 13 11
HP 216/216 Maximize Y CON: 16 +3 +1 +0 18/20
SP 13/13 CHR: 10 -6 -1 +0 3

Level 18 Armor [11,+0] Saving Throw 38
Cur Exp 5200 Fight (+1,+3) Stealth 4
Max Exp 5200 Melee (+1,+3) Fighting 155
Adv Exp 5220 Shoot (+2,+6) Shooting 116
MaxDepth 1400 ft Blows 1/turn Disarming 68
Turns 72460 Shots 1/turn Magic Device 43
Gold 142 Infra 30 ft Perception 29
Burden 136.1 lbs Energy 100% Searching 31

Your father was a Stone-Troll Warrior. You have slime-green eyes,
dirty sea-weed green hair, and white scabby skin.

abcdefghijkl@ abcdefghijkl@
Acid:............. Blind:.............
Elec:............. Confu:.............
Fire:............. Sound:.............
Cold:............. Shard:.............
Pois:............. Nexus:.............
Fear:............. Nethr:.............
Lite:............. Chaos:.............
Dark:............. Disen:.............

abcdefghijkl@ abcdefghijkl@
S.Dig:............. Stea.:.............
Feath:............. Sear.:.............
PLite:............. Infra:.............
Regen:............+ Tunn.:.............
Telep:............. Speed:.............

Invis:...+......... Blows:.............

FrAct:............. Shots:.............
HLife:............. Might:.............

[Character Equipment]

a) a Lance (2d8) {tried}
You get 1 blow per round with this weapon.
b) a Long Bow (x3) (+1,+6)
c) (nothing)
d) a Ring of See Invisible
It grants you the ability
to see invisible things.
e) a Bone Amulet {excellent}

Possible flavors are: Searching Teleportation Slow Digestion
Resist Acid Adornment Sustenance Resistance Resist Lightning &
Amulet~ & Amulet~ & Necklace~ & Elfstone~ & Jewel~.

f) a Wooden Torch (5935 turns)

It usually provides light of radius 2, though this is reduced when
running of out fuel.
g) Soft Studded Leather [5,+0]

h) a Cloak [1,+0]
i) a Small Metal Shield [3] {good}

j) (nothing)
k) (nothing)
l) a Pair of Soft Leather Boots [2] {good}

[Character Inventory]

a) 2 Books of Magic Spells [Magic for Beginners] {@m1 @G1}

b) 4 Rations of Food

c) a Piece of Elvish Waybread

d) 2 Potions of Heroism
e) 2 Potions of Cure Light Wounds
f) 3 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
g) 11 Scrolls of Phase Door
h) 4 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
i) 2 Scrolls of Identify {@r1}
j) a Scroll of Detect Invisible
k) a Rod of Trap Location {@z5 !!}
Your success rate is 97.3%, if confused 93.7%.

l) a Rod of Door/Stair Location {@z2 !!}
Your success rate is 96.4%, if confused 83.3%.

m) a Wand of Stone to Mud (6 charges)
Your success rate is 96.9%, if confused 90.9%.

n) a Wand of Light (14 charges) {@a3}
Your success rate is 97.5%, if confused 94.4%.

o) a Wand of Slow Monster (14 charges)
Your success rate is 97.3%, if confused 93.7%.

p) a Wand of Magic Missile (8 charges)
Your success rate is 97.5%, if confused 94.4%.

q) a Staff of Door/Stair Location (6 charges) {@u2}
Your success rate is 96.9%, if confused 90.9%.

r) a Staff of Detect Evil (4 charges)
Your success rate is 95.6%, if confused 22.2%.

s) 3 Staffs of Cure Light Wounds (22 charges)
Your success rate is 97.3%, if confused 93.7%.

t) a Dagger (1d4) (+6,+8)

You get 3 blows per round with this weapon.

u) 22 Arrows (1d4) (+0,+0)
v) 99 Arrows (1d4) (+0,+0)
w) 3 Arrows (1d4) {@f1, good}

Eddie Grove

Jun 12, 2008, 2:16:17 AM6/12/08

Trip 3:

I return to 1400', *dStairs shows stairs in the starting room.

At 1450', I kill a pack of nov warriors for cLevel 19. I run out of slots,
squelch -slow and -manaBolt. I have 2 -dStairs and -dTraps, can use more mana
for *light. I read my ?dInv, see clear hounds, never meet them.

At 1500', time to check again. I have cLevel 19, ok weapon and launcher, =SI.
No resistances nor FA. That is a bit weak for this depth. About 75K turns,
which is about right. At least I have reached the land where stat potions lie
on the ground for the taking. I pick up a potion, at this point would like to
id it, but I will be testing potions for a while. I step next to a spotted
patch, have to wait 5 or 10 turns for it to hit me so I can test !loseExp. I
head to a trapdoor.

At 1550', *dVis shows Wormtongue pretty near and black orcs off a ways.
Usually I would ignore orcs before stat depth [1550' is stat depth for the
ground, but not for orc drops], but lacking _telSelf I should look for easy
kills that might drop money. Wormtongue comes for me, and I shoot and ?phase
to kill him. He gives me a light xbow and cloak, and I wield them, and the
cloak provides permanent light. I notice nothing about the xbow, so I swap my
longbow back in. The best I can hope for is extra might, and I have no
quarrels anyway. The cloak pseudos and is Thorongil. [In my patch, all
artifacts need to be obviously magical when wielded, so I had to modify 4
standarts, and rgra consensus was pLite for Thorongil.] That means my =SI was
a waste of funds. That's a good problem to have! I go find the orcs, *light
the room and shoot away. The occasionally shoot back, but none ever reaches
me to melee. I have to go through a pack of fire hounds to get into a room
with a new potion. Life is so much easier with a decent launcher. The potion
turns out to be !rInt. I come upon a sleeping youngBlack blocking a corridor,
retreat and shoot until it comes near. I still have to melee a bit, perhaps I
should go home for quarrels. Then when I return, more fire hounds, need to
use a charge of -lightBeam on the corridor to see to know when to shoot them.
I *dVis, and there appears to be an endless line of them. Unfortunately, the
only way to stairs [I have detected 3 already] is through them. Perhaps I
should go home. I ?id my xbow, it is extra might, though a modest +7 damage.
That is better than my longbow, but it is too early to go home now. I lose a
?MB1 and ?recall, but I make it through. I shoot and ?phase to kill a
spectator guarding the stairs for cLevel 21.

At 1600', _dEvil shows youngBronze and youngWhite and black knight and ogre
shaman. I try to get at the dragons, but the black knight tracks me down. I
!hero for better to-hit, will not need that slot now that I have Thorongil,
then melee. I forgot that I tested ?confuse last level, notice the knight
acting strangely. He still is almost too tough for me, and I have to ?phase
and heal, using !CCW and !CLW and all charges of _CLW. Then the youngBronze
shows up, breathes to confuse me. I !CCW and ?phase into the next room. I
land near stairs, go to them to rest. I hate to leave the knight alive,
*dVis, it is next to the youngBronze. I only have one !CCW left, but I want
to kill them. I go back, only confused once, kill them both. It is time to
go home. Usually I would go down nearby stairs first before using ?recall,
but I am out of ?phase and curing and have no form of telSelf, so I ?recall
now.

I return to town with 2163 AU. I check out the market hopefully, but no
?telSelf nor ?telLevel. I cannot afford _telSelf yet, maybe next trip. I buy
3 ?recall and a torch. My weight is low, so I can afford as many quarrels as
I like, choose to buy 26 to carry 60. I buy ?satiate for awareness, and
finally have some spare cash for ?id. I buy 8 ?id. I get a spare ?MB1 and 4
!CCW and I am done. I will drop the book at home after I ?recall. I should
also leave =SI behind.

[Angband 3.0.9ef Character Dump]

Name Rast Self RB CB EB Best
Sex Male Age 23 STR: 17 +4 +2 +0 18/50

Race Half-Troll Height 106 INT: 16 -4 +1 +0 13

Class Rogue Weight 236 WIS: 10 -2 -2 +0 6

Title Burglar Status 1 Dex: 14 -4 +3 +0 13 11
HP 239/239 Maximize Y CON: 16 +3 +1 +0 18/20
SP 18/18 CHR: 10 -6 -1 +0 3

Level 21 Armor [11,+9] Saving Throw 41
Cur Exp 9199 Fight (+1,+3) Stealth 4
Max Exp 9199 Melee (+7,+11) Fighting 185
Adv Exp 9860 Shoot (+13,+7) Shooting 158
MaxDepth 1600 ft Blows 3/turn Disarming 72
Turns 84906 Shots 1/turn Magic Device 46
Gold 13 Infra 30 ft Perception 29
Burden 97.9 lbs Energy 100% Searching 31

[...]

b) a Light Crossbow of Extra Might (x3) (+12,+7) (+1) {worm1550}
It increases your
shooting power by 1.

c) (nothing)
d) a Ring of See Invisible
It grants you the ability to see invisible things.
e) a Bone Amulet {excellent}
Possible flavors are: Searching Teleportation Slow Digestion
Resist Acid Adornment Sustenance Resistance Resist Lightning &
Amulet~ & Amulet~ & Necklace~ & Elfstone~ & Jewel~.

f) a Wooden Torch (4688 turns)

It usually provides light of radius 2, though this is reduced when
running of out fuel.

g) Soft Studded Leather [5,-1]
h) The Cloak of Thorongil [1,+10] {worm1550}
It provides resistance to acid and fear. It usually provides light
of radius 4. It grants you immunity to paralysis and the ability to
see invisible things. It cannot be harmed by the elements.

i) a Small Metal Shield [3] {good}
j) (nothing)
k) (nothing)
l) a Pair of Soft Leather Boots [2] {good}

[Character Inventory]

a) 3 Books of Magic Spells [Magic for Beginners] {@m1 @G1}

b) 4 Rations of Food

c) 2 Pieces of Elvish Waybread
d) 4 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
e) 6 Scrolls of Phase Door
f) 4 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
g) 9 Scrolls of Identify {@r1}
h) a Scroll of Satisfy Hunger
i) a Rod of Trap Location {@z5 !!}
Your success rate is 97.5%, if confused 94.4%.

j) 2 Rods of Door/Stair Location {@z2 !!}
Your success rate is 96.7%, if confused 87.5%.

k) a Wand of Stone to Mud (6 charges)
Your success rate is 97.2%, if confused 92.3%.

l) a Wand of Light (13 charges) {@a3}
Your success rate is 97.6%, if confused 95.0%.

m) a Staff of Light (20 charges) {@u6}

Your success rate is 97.5%, if confused 94.4%.

n) a Staff of Detect Evil (2 charges)
Your success rate is 96.1%, if confused 66.6%.

o) a Wooden Torch (3000 turns)

It usually provides light of radius 2, though this is reduced when
running of out fuel.

p) a Cloak [1]
q) 60 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0)

[Home Inventory]

a) a Book of Magic Spells [Magic for Beginners] {@m1 @G1}
b) a Book of Magic Spells [Sorcery and Evocations] {@m4 @G4}
c) a Staff of Door/Stair Location (6 charges) {@u2}
Your success rate is 97.2%, if confused 92.3%.

d) a Spear (1d6) {excellent}

Possible egos include: of Slay Animal of Slay Evil of Slay Undead
of Slay Demon of Slay Orc of Slay Troll of Slay Giant of Slay
Dragon.
You get 2 blows per round with this weapon. With additional +5 str

you would get 3 blows.e) a Long Bow (x3) (+1,+6)
f) 36 Arrows (1d4) (+0,+0) {@f1}

Garrie Irons

Jun 12, 2008, 6:57:09 AM6/12/08

"The Wanderer" <inverse...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> I'm not necessarily opposed to a game in which everything is identified
> immediately, but I do think it would be a very different game from
> vanilla Angband as I've experienced it so far, and I'm not sure I'd be
> interested in replacing the one with the other.
>

> --
> The Wanderer
>
> Warning: Simply because I argue an issue does not mean I agree with any
> side of it.
>
> Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.

I would certainly argue that it removes one of the major (sub CL30) benefits
of playing a mage in a game where most mages do most of their late-game
damage with a melee or missile weapon.

It would make a lot of sense in some of the classless variants.

Garrie.

Eddie Grove

Jun 13, 2008, 3:22:16 PM6/13/08

Trip 4:

At 1600', now that I have lots of detection rods and _light, can use
occasional mana for *dObj. I find a new potion, ?id it, and avoid wasting
!speed through testing.

At 1650', I detect Golfimbul and escort. Usually I would avoid them, but I
need easy kills for money for _telSelf. I head toward them, find Nar instead,
fight and he blinds me. When he flees, I !CCW so I can shoot before he heals.
That is cLevel 22. I cannot reach the orcs, head away. I kill a couple cave
orcs, *dVis shows they are separate from Golfimbul. I kill some more, test
mush{chaos}, which is a major annoyance although it has little gameplay
effect. I head toward the stairs, kill various orcs from the escort. I reach
the stairs without killing Golfimbul, hallucination still in effect. I have
full mana and sp so I descend anyway.

At 1700', I take some acid attacks when I do not recognize water hounds from a
distance. They do not follow when I leave the room. I have to take a long
circle, but I reach the stairs without encountering anyone more dangerous than
a salamander.

At 1750', I fight creeping adamantite until down to 60 hp, ?phase and then
start shooting. I now have enough money for _telSelf, and ask myself whether
to go home. Especially given the hallucination? Ha ha ha. I shoot a monster
that turns out to be a grave wight, and the hallucination finally wears off.
Then a manticore shows up, and it gets very scary. I ?recall, take a step and
?phase. Then I head for stairs, but it catches up early. I ?phase, pick up a
sword, take a couple steps, ?phase again and see a new potion. Discretion
suggests taking the stairs, but I go for the potion. I manage to get to the
stairs before the manticore, and descend.

The next turn, recall kicks in at 1800', but the silly spell will return
me to 1750'. Oh well.

I return to town with 7783 AU. I could carry ?MB2, but *telSelf has 50%
failure rate. I buy 2 ?recall and 21 quarrels. A longbow pseudos {cursed},
and I ?id so I can squelch it as cursed but not worthless. I finally get
_telSelf, also _id and 2 ?MB2 for later. I will use _id in town, carry ?id
into dungeon. I have a pseudoed cloak that lists itself as "of protection"
without any id. That is because the only cloak ego that is not obvious is
protection, so my patch automatically displays as such. There are no !CCW for
sale, but I buy ?bless for awareness. The final question is how much of my
remaining 1307 to spend on ?id vs ?+dam vs ?phase. I get 7 ?phase, 1 ?+dam,
and 11 ?id.

[Angband 3.0.9ef Character Dump]

Name Rast Self RB CB EB Best
Sex Male Age 23 STR: 17 +4 +2 +0 18/50
Race Half-Troll Height 106 INT: 16 -4 +1 +0 13
Class Rogue Weight 236 WIS: 10 -2 -2 +0 6
Title Burglar Status 1 Dex: 14 -4 +3 +0 13 11

HP 239/239 Maximize Y Con: 16 +3 +1 +0 18/20 18/10
SP 19/19 CHR: 10 -6 -1 +0 3

Level 22 Armor [11,+9] Saving Throw 42
Cur Exp 11043 Fight (+1,+3) Stealth 4
Max Exp 11043 Melee (+7,+11) Fighting 189
Adv Exp 12180 Shoot (+13,+7) Shooting 161
MaxDepth 1800 ft Blows 3/turn Disarming 74
Turns 95084 Shots 1/turn Magic Device 47
Gold 11 Infra 30 ft Perception 29
Burden 118.3 lbs Energy 100% Searching 31

[...]

e) an Amulet of Resist Lightning
It provides resistance to lightning. It cannot be harmed by
electricity.
f) a Wooden Torch (5334 turns)

It usually provides light of radius 2, though this is reduced when
running of out fuel.
g) Soft Studded Leather [5,-1]
h) The Cloak of Thorongil [1,+10] {worm1550}
It provides resistance to acid and fear. It usually provides light
of radius 4. It grants you immunity to paralysis and the ability to
see invisible things. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
i) a Small Metal Shield [3] {good}
j) (nothing)
k) (nothing)
l) a Pair of Soft Leather Boots [2] {good}

[Character Inventory]

a) 2 Books of Magic Spells [Magic for Beginners] {@m1 @G1}
b) a Mushroom of Cure Poison
c) 3 Rations of Food
d) 2 Pieces of Elvish Waybread
e) a Potion of Speed
f) 3 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
g) 9 Scrolls of Phase Door
h) 4 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
i) 18 Scrolls of Identify {@r1}
j) a Scroll of Blessing
k) a Scroll of Monster Confusion
l) a Rod of Trap Location {@z5 !!}
Your success rate is 97.6%, if confused 94.4%.

m) 2 Rods of Door/Stair Location {@z2 !!}
Your success rate is 96.8%, if confused 87.5%.

n) a Wand of Stone to Mud (6 charges)

Your success rate is 97.2%, if confused 92.3%.

o) a Wand of Light (13 charges) {@a3}
Your success rate is 97.7%, if confused 95.0%.

p) 2 Wands of Frost Bolts (18 charges)
Your success rate is 96.2%, if confused 66.6%.

q) a Staff of Teleportation (8 charges) {!*}
Your success rate is 96.2%, if confused 66.6%.

r) a Staff of Light (14 charges) {@u6}
Your success rate is 97.6%, if confused 94.4%.

s) a Two-Handed Sword (3d6)
t) 60 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0) {@f1}

[Home Inventory]

a) 2 Books of Magic Spells [Magic for Beginners] {@m1 @G1}
b) 2 Books of Magic Spells [Conjurings and Tricks] {@m2 @G2}
c) a Book of Magic Spells [Sorcery and Evocations] {@m4 @G4}
d) a Potion of Restore Strength
e) a Staff of Perception (8 charges) {@u1}

Your success rate is 97.2%, if confused 92.3%.

f) a Staff of Door/Stair Location (6 charges) {@u2}

Your success rate is 97.2%, if confused 92.3%.

g) a Ring of See Invisible

It grants you the ability to see invisible things.

h) a Cloak of Protection [1]
i) a Spear (1d6) {excellent}

Possible egos include: of Slay Animal of Slay Evil of Slay Undead
of Slay Demon of Slay Orc of Slay Troll of Slay Giant of Slay
Dragon.
You get 2 blows per round with this weapon. With additional +5 str
you would get 3 blows.

j) a Long Bow (x3) (+1,+6)
k) 36 Arrows (1d4) (+0,+0) {@f1}

Eddie Grove

Jun 15, 2008, 12:59:25 AM6/15/08

Trip 5:

At 1800', I land near cave trolls. I might be at the edge of a pillared room,
too bad, want to use -lightBeam on all of them at once. I *dVis, apparently
there are 9, including one in the exit. I could only line up 3 at a time. I
find my way out, there is a corridor. I go back in, _light to wake a couple,
-lightBeam to wake some more, and head down the corridor. I try to conserve
charges, do too much melee, down to 51 hp when a ranger shows up behind them,
but also an orc steps up to block me from turning the corner. I ?phase, land
near sleeping hardened warrior. I hate to use !CCW for hp, prefer only for
removing poison/confusion, but this seems like a time to do so. Then I ?phase
again when the warrior wakes. The warrior chases, but I can shoot quarrels
without danger. I head back, have to *phase and -coldBolt a matureRed, and it
breathes a lot and confuses me, forcing me to use my last two !CCW. It gives
me !dex, so I guess that was a good trade. I should mention I detected the
dragon in a dark room, used _light in the corridor and then retreated at
first, so I could see when it was awake and in LOS. Using light at ends or
bends in corridors is a very useful technique. I go back for the rest of the
trolls, use up -lightBeam, kill some orcs too. I use a bunch of ?id, learning
flavors, but no really useful items since the dragon. I run out of slots,
squelch rod -ElecBeam, which does so little damage that it is not competitive
with my xbow even if it does hit nearly always. I pick up -elecBall[7] near
the stairs.

At 1850', I land in a room with youngBlue, *dVis shows an umber hulk in the
same room, and gnome mages and phase spiders not too far away. They are
mostly asleep, so I head to a corner of the room, _light, and start shooting
the monsters in my room. The stairs are in the first room, and the mages are
not at stat depth, so I am about to go down when I remember to *dObj, and
there is a new potion. On the way, "it breathes nexus", and I teleport across
the dungeon. I land near a new potion, so that is no loss to me. I *dVis,
see matureWhite, will go after it and hope confusion does not become an issue
[since I am out of !CCW]. But first, a mystic finds me, and I _telSelf. The
good news is that I land near the stairs, but the bad news is water hounds in
between. I head away, careful to _light corners of the corridor. Usually I
am using -LightBeam by now, but I haven't found that rod yet. I get close to
different stairs, see the nexus vortex, but I make it down.

At 1900', all I detect is a new ring, a zombie, and two trolls at the edge of
the screen. I have 3 -dStairs, so I use them all the time, not just even
sectors. I see that the trolls are a detour from the stairs. If I had
-LightBeam I would go for them, but as it is I just head for the stairs.
Until I reach a dead end, that is. :) Well, I do have -stoneToMud[6] which
normally I save for getting between disconnected rooms, and I think to use it
on the stone trolls. 4 charges do the job. It may seem strange, but I toss
?MB4 to keep ?createTraps. [Later on this turns out to have been a big
mistake. Chalk it up to my unfamiliarity playing rogues.] I also drop two
beaked axes that stack without waiting for pseudo. Usually stacking items are
average, though once I had 3 cloaks [1, +5] stack before pseudo. I have to
fight my way into a room of cold hounds, did I mention how useful a good
launcher is? I've made it to cLevel 25 some time, not paying attention. I
pick up =FA, wield it instead of =sCon, taking no chance it dies in my pack.
I *dVis a jelly pit, check the level feeling for laughs, yup this is a
"superb" level. I head for a rod, goof, and an elec hound steps into the room
and breathes just as I get to it. I should have used ?phase to shorten the
distance.

At 1950', I *dVis a frost giant I can target down a corridor, shoot it. A
halberd pseudos splendid, see it is flame brand [my patch], but only one blow
means probably not worth it. I use my last ?id on !rCon. I should go home,
but the stairs are near. It turns out there is a wall in the way, so I am
saved from myself, ?recall.

I return to town with 6793 AU. No !CCW for sale, will have to make do with
!CSW. I have a rod I tested on a monster, no message, presumably -disarm. I
am down to 41% failure with *telSelf, so I pick up ?MB2. There is nothing
particularly useful for sale, briefly consider wand -lightBeam. I get all 5
?recall to clear the slot, and a torch. I get a potion from a veteran, quaff
it hoping for !saltWater, but it is !blind. 109088 turn count. I wonder if I
can use stores when blind? Yes, I can. I think I should use halberd for
rFire, means must damage fire monsters with wands and quarrels, should carry
99 avg quarrels. I get 51 quarrels, ?chant for awareness, and 20 !CSW. Then
I get 40 ?id, 3 ?+dam, and spend the last change on 5 ?phase. 1000 game turns
later, still blind, !CSW. That's why I like to buy !CLW before the very first
trip.

The Wanderer

Jun 15, 2008, 7:35:19 AM6/15/08
Eddie Grove wrote:

> Trip 5:

> I also drop two beaked axes that stack without waiting for pseudo.
> Usually stacking items are average, though once I had 3 cloaks [1,
> +5] stack before pseudo.

This is a point I'd forgotten: identical items stack if they're all
identified *or* all unidentified, but not if they're a mix. This is
inconsistent, and would tip the earlier discussion in the direction of
the side you were arguing. On that basis, original objection withdrawn.

Eddie Grove

Jun 15, 2008, 4:20:59 PM6/15/08
On Jun 15, 4:35 am, The Wanderer <inversepara...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Eddie Grove wrote:
> > Trip 5:
> > I also drop two beaked axes that stack without waiting for pseudo.
> > Usually stacking items are average, though once I had 3 cloaks [1,
> > +5] stack before pseudo.
>
> This is a point I'd forgotten: identical items stack if they're all
> identified *or* all unidentified, but not if they're a mix. This is
> inconsistent, and would tip the earlier discussion in the direction of
> the side you were arguing. On that basis, original objection withdrawn.

Well, it may not be that simple. I think they stacked only because of
my patch. I think maybe avg pseudoed stuff stacks, but not good? Or
maybe identical non-id'ed things stack only if ammo? It is
inconsistent and I can never keep the rules straight.

There is a different possible approach. Sort of generalize the quiver
to all slots. You could allow multiple items with the same tval and
sval to stack regardless of whether they are identical. That allows
for wand etc stacking without shared charges. This still has
problems, and would be a lot of work, which is why I implemented just
stacking identical stuff the way I did.

Eddie

Eddie Grove

Jun 15, 2008, 10:14:15 PM6/15/08

Trip 6:

After I ?recall, I gain *telSelf *neutralize and *destTraps.

At 1950', *dVis shows Castamir above, as in up the screen. I will head down,
as in down the stairs. :)

At 2000', I land near the stairs. I *dVis, water spirit and youngBlack in the
room with me. I move away to a corner, *light and shoot. The dragon gives me
my first -telOther! Also rod -FireBolt. I never know how long to keep those,
but certainly useful for now.

At 2050', I land next to forest trolls and light hounds. I try *telSelf on
the assumption I can always _telSelf[7] next round if I get blinded, and
happily it succeeds. I am trying to conserve charges until I get a second
staff. I do my detections, no features of interest, but there is a small pack
of Ologs in my room and a large pack of half-orcs. The Ologs are tougher than
I would like to fight, and the half-orcs need another 200' to be in stat
depth. I try to sneak by. Too many orcs wake and I cannot shoot my way
through them. I try a couple of ?phase, but they take me back instead of
forward. I rest until monsters approach, *telSelf again. My pack is full, so
I ?confuse before attacking a youngWhite. I would like to save it, but slots
for pseudo come first. I pick up my first -LightBeam, and now my pack is
complete. Lighting corridors allows you to see monsters following and is
often the difference in staying alive. I also manage to finally officially
learn -Disarm when I have time to zap a trap. I have known that one for a
while because it gives no message when tested on a monster. I open a door
near the stairs, see a silent watcher. Oops. Forgot to *dVis, distracted by
playing with -LightBeam. Should I take 4 steps in its LOS on the way to the
stairs? I cannot afford to let it shriek if tough monsters are in the room,
so -telOther. There goes a precious charge. I step into the corridor with
the stairs, get blinded by light hound, but when it wears off I see elec hound
behind the light hound. "Use it if you might lose it" means I burn a charge
of -telOther rather than taking the chance an elec breath will destroy it. I
get blinded again, step on stairs and !CSW before descent.

At 2100', I land in a room with fire hounds. The same principle means I
_telSelf immediately. I move a bit, *dVis shows a ghast with escort in a
bendy corridor, and also an ancientgreen. I can barely survive one 240 point
poison breath, but not two, so it would be crazy to attack but I am still
tempted. I kill the ghouls, but the ghast is fast and I have to use a couple
charges of -elecBall, which I would have preferred to save for an ancient
dragon. I get !dex and cLevel 26. I eventually find the stairs in a treasure
room, contains a new amulet and ?MB5 as well. The only visible guard at all
tough is a balance drake. Gorbag and escort are on the screen, but I am not
yet deep enough to bother with snagas. Unfortunately they are near the moat's
gate, so I hurry to pick up items and head down.

At 2150', there is a matureWhite in the room with me. I gain *rCold and move
to a corner to cast it. I manage to *light the room on my second try and let
loose with -fireBolt and quarrels. After I kill the dragon, I gain *rFire.
On my way to the stairs, I bump into a nether wraith. I use up all my ?phase,
and all charges of -elecBall, and still it is tough. I get my first !str,
!enlight, and ?destruct. I check and am down 1100 exp, a small price to pay.
I wonder whether I should go home for more ?phase, down far on mana and hp,
decide not. I compromise and rest twice while -LightBeam recharges, after
using on corridors out of the room.

At 2200', I !enlight. There is stuff all over, unaware, potions and rod and
ring and staff. The first unaware potion is !con. I head for the rod, *dVis
shows too many hounds, *telSelf to look elsewhere. I land near another
unaware potion, go get it, fight 3H-hydra and maturegreen on the way, and lose
half my hp. This one is just !infra. I start shooting a giant when a Xorn
appears in the wall behind me. I already got the potion, so my work here is
done, but down on hp would rather not _telSelf. I *phase, head toward next
open room, get an amulet then shoot the xorn that won't leave me alone. The
amulet pseudos splendid, is charisma, won't squelch until I need slots. I
head toward ?destruct, have to kill half-orcs on the way, 1 level too shallow.
I have to kill a pack of earth hounds, get the scroll, near the stairs. There
is still an unaware staff and !speed in the opposite corner of the dungeon. I
decide they are not worth the effort. I've been on this level too long
already.

At 2250', I land in a room with a plasma vortex. I _telSelf, land next to a
priest, much better. Even better, -dTraps shows a trapdoor in the room. I
*dObj, only an unaware wand, but once I have -telOther there is no need for
diversions for wands.

At 2300', I *dVis gravity hounds!!! I really need ESP to avoid wasting a turn
casting *dVis. There are already 4 in my room, and I have to decide whether
to risk failing with _telSelf, or should I just ?destruct? I decide even if I
fail, would require further bad luck to die, take the risk. I succeed, but
won't want to teleport again on this level. I *dVis, ancientblue and yeeks,
try to sneak past the dragon but it wakes. I -telOther, following the rule.
The yeeks aren't deep enough, so rather than waste my time killing 40 of them,
I head directly to a trapdoor. It would be a real shame if something with
passwall came upon me while I was wasting time, especially since I don't care
to telSelf again on this level.

At 2350', I head for an amulet, get tag-teamed by master vampire and a
spectre. I lose some wis and experience, get excited by a dungeon spellbook,
but it is just a redundant copy of ?MB5. Then, picking up stuff, "it breathes
nexus", scrambling my stats. My 10's remain on WIS and CHR, so my game is not
over. I didn't notice anyone with *dVis, guess I needed to scroll the screen
and try again before grabbing loot. I *phase and *dVis, see a whole corridor
of nexus hounds. I pick up a shield, and a nexus hound enters the room. I am
60' from the stairs, but will never get there. I _telSelf and land in
relative safety, only an ooze elemental nearby, I kill it, _light the room,
and *dObj. Nothing of note, I ?recall. Looks like the "chr+3 is going to
make it home. While I wait, an unaware amulet pseudos "wis+3, so I squelch.
This is part of the need for squelch, items great for one class are junk for
another.

I return to town with 13434 AU. I try on my pretty necklace, and CHR is still
3. :( I guess I should be glad it is not 0 without the necklace. :) I am
ecstatic to see _speed[6] for sale at the market. Foolishly I buy it before I
buy !rChr, just too excited. I also buy !rCold for awareness. I need a torch
too. I upgrade from =sCon to =con+2 at the market. I buy all quarrels from
weapon smith. No ?phase for sale. I cannot afford all of the ?id, but I can
afford all ?map, so I buy 38 ?map and 16 ?id. It is always good to try to buy
out an entire slot.

[Angband 3.0.9ef Character Dump]

Name Rast Self RB CB EB Best

Sex Male Age 23 STR: 18/01 +4 +2 +0 18/61
Race Half-Troll Height 106 INT: 17 -4 +1 +0 14
Class Rogue Weight 236 Wis: 10 -2 -2 +0 6 5
Title Filcher Status 1 DEX: 16 -4 +3 +0 15
HP 299/299 Maximize Y CON: 16 +3 +1 +2 18/40
SP 26/26 CHR: 10 -6 -1 +0 3

Level 27 Armor [17,+21] Saving Throw 47
Cur Exp 37109 Fight (+1,+3) Stealth 4
Max Exp 37185 Melee (+11,+14) Fighting 221
Adv Exp 50750 Shoot (+13,+8) Shooting 176
MaxDepth 2350 ft Blows 1/turn Disarming 82
Turns 126537 Shots 1/turn Magic Device 52
Gold 18 Infra 30 ft Perception 29
Burden 153.9 lbs Energy 100% Searching 31

Your father was a Stone-Troll Warrior. You have slime-green eyes,
dirty sea-weed green hair, and white scabby skin.

abcdefghijkl@ abcdefghijkl@
Acid:....+..+..... Blind:.............
Elec:........+.... Confu:.............
Fire:+............ Sound:.............

Cold:............. Shard:.............
Pois:............. Nexus:.............
Fear:.......+..... Nethr:.............
Lite:............. Chaos:.............
Dark:............. Disen:.............

abcdefghijkl@ abcdefghijkl@
S.Dig:............. Stea.:.............
Feath:............. Sear.:.............
PLite:.......+..... Infra:.............
Regen:............+ Tunn.:.............
Telep:............. Speed:.............
Invis:.......+..... Blows:.............
FrAct:.......+..... Shots:.............
HLife:............. Might:.+...........

[Character Equipment]

a) a Halberd of Flame (3d5) (+10,+11)
It is branded with fire. It provides resistance to fire. It cannot
be harmed by fire. You get 1 blow per round with this weapon.
b) a Light Crossbow of Extra Might (x3) (+12,+8) (+1) {worm1550}

It increases your shooting power by 1.

c) a Ring of Constitution (+2)
It increases your constitution by 2. It sustains your constitution.

d) a Ring of Sustain Dexterity
It sustains your dexterity.
e) an Amulet of Resist Acid
It provides resistance to acid. It cannot be harmed by acid.
f) a Wooden Torch (4554 turns)

It usually provides light of radius 2, though this is reduced when
running of out fuel.

g) Soft Studded Leather [5] {good}

h) The Cloak of Thorongil [1,+10] {worm1550}
It provides resistance to acid and fear. It usually provides light
of radius 4. It grants you immunity to paralysis and the ability to
see invisible things. It cannot be harmed by the elements.

i) a Large Metal Shield of Resist Lightning [5,+10]

It provides resistance to lightning. It cannot be harmed by
electricity.

j) a Metal Cap [3,+0]
k) (nothing)
l) a Pair of Hard Leather Boots [3] {good}

[Character Inventory]

a) 2 Books of Magic Spells [Magic for Beginners] {@m1 @G1}

b) a Book of Magic Spells [Conjurings and Tricks] {@m2 @G2}
c) a Book of Magic Spells [Resistances of Scarabtarices] {@m5 @G5}

It cannot be harmed by the elements.

d) 4 Pieces of Elvish Waybread
e) a Potion of Resist Cold
f) 9 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds
g) 5 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
h) 25 Scrolls of Identify {@r1}
i) 15 Scrolls of Magic Mapping {@r2}
j) 2 Scrolls of *Destruction* {!*}
k) a Rod of Trap Location {@z5 !!}
Your success rate is 97.8%, if confused 95.2%.

l) a Rod of Light {@z3 !!}
Your success rate is 97.6%, if confused 93.7%.

m) a Rod of Fire Bolts {!!}
Your success rate is 95.4%, if confused 8.3%.

n) a Wand of Teleport Other (6 charges) {@a4}
Your success rate is 96.8%, if confused 83.3%.

o) a Wand of Light (15 charges) {@a3}
Your success rate is 97.9%, if confused 95.6%.

p) a Staff of Teleportation (3 charges) {!*}
Your success rate is 96.8%, if confused 83.3%.

q) a Staff of Light (18 charges) {@u6}
Your success rate is 97.8%, if confused 95.2%.

r) a Staff of Speed (6 charges) {!*}
Your success rate is 91.6%, if confused 3.7%.

s) a Wooden Torch (3000 turns)

It usually provides light of radius 2, though this is reduced when
running of out fuel.

t) a Gnomish Shovel (1d2) {good}
It increases your tunneling by 2. You get 2 blows per round with
this weapon. With additional +6 str you would get 3 blows.
u) 70 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0) {@f1}

[Home Inventory]

a) 3 Books of Magic Spells [Magic for Beginners] {@m1 @G1}
b) a Book of Magic Spells [Conjurings and Tricks] {@m2 @G2}

c) a Book of Magic Spells [Sorcery and Evocations] {@m4 @G4}

d) a Book of Magic Spells [Resistances of Scarabtarices] {@m5 @G5}

It cannot be harmed by the elements.

e) 9 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds
f) a Potion of Healing
g) a Potion of Restore Strength
h) 11 Scrolls of Identify {@r1}
i) 23 Scrolls of Magic Mapping {@r2}
j) 3 Rods of Door/Stair Location {@z2 !!}
Your success rate is 97.2%, if confused 90.9%.

k) a Wand of Stone to Mud (0 charges)
Your success rate is 97.6%, if confused 93.7%.

l) a Staff of Perception (3 charges) {@u1}
Your success rate is 97.6%, if confused 93.7%.

m) a Staff of Door/Stair Location (6 charges) {@u2}

Your success rate is 97.6%, if confused 93.7%.

n) a Ring of Free Action
It grants you immunity to paralysis.
o) a Ring of See Invisible

It grants you the ability to see invisible things.

p) an Amulet of Charisma (+3)
It increases your charisma by 3. It sustains your charisma.
q) an Amulet of Resist Lightning

It provides resistance to lightning. It cannot be harmed by
electricity.

r) a Cloak of Protection [1]
s) a Dagger (1d4) (+6,+8)

You get 3 blows per round with this weapon.

t) a Spear of Slay Demon (1d6) (+4,+5)
It slays demons. You get
2 blows per round with this weapon. With additional +4 str you
would get 3 blows.
u) a Long Bow (x3) (+1,+6)
v) 51 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0) {@f1}
w) 36 Arrows (1d4) (+0,+0) {@f1}

Magnate

Jun 16, 2008, 9:42:53 AM6/16/08
Well done Eddie - these make superb and instructional reading. Just a couple
of questions -

Back in trip 3, you stood next to a spotted mushroom patch to test !loseExp
... did you mean !restoreExp?

"Eddie Grove" <eddie...@hotmail.com> wrote
> Trip 6:
>
> [Angband 3.0.9ef Character Dump]

> e) an Amulet of Resist Acid
> It provides resistance to acid. It cannot be harmed by acid.

Given that you are wearing Thorongil, why take this down with you? Surely
the "rElec would be better, in case you upgrade your shield while down ...?

> f) a Wooden Torch (4554 turns)
> It usually provides light of radius 2, though this is reduced when
> running of out fuel.

Since Thorongil provides radius 4 light, why do you need torches?

> k) a Rod of Trap Location {@z5 !!}
> Your success rate is 97.8%, if confused 95.2%.
>
> l) a Rod of Light {@z3 !!}
> Your success rate is 97.6%, if confused 93.7%.
>
> m) a Rod of Fire Bolts {!!}
> Your success rate is 95.4%, if confused 8.3%.

The success curve when confused is just insane.

> n) a Wand of Teleport Other (6 charges) {@a4}
> Your success rate is 96.8%, if confused 83.3%.
>
> o) a Wand of Light (15 charges) {@a3}
> Your success rate is 97.9%, if confused 95.6%.
>
> p) a Staff of Teleportation (3 charges) {!*}
> Your success rate is 96.8%, if confused 83.3%.

That's not bad at all.

> Adult: Randomize some of the artifacts (beta): no (adult_randarts)

Doesn't 3.0.9 have new randart code? Do you just not like randarts?

> Adult: Monsters chase current location : yes (adult_ai_sound)
> Adult: Monsters chase recent locations : yes (adult_ai_smell)
> Adult: Monsters act smarter in groups : yes (adult_ai_packs)
> Adult: Monsters learn from their mistakes : no (adult_ai_learn)
> Adult: Monsters exploit players weaknesses : no (adult_ai_cheat)
> Adult: Monsters behave more intelligently (broken): no (adult_ai_smart)

The last two I can understand, but what's wrong with smart_learn?

Thanks again for the entertainment,

CC

Timo Pietilä

Jun 16, 2008, 11:24:21 AM6/16/08
Eddie Grove wrote:
> Trip 6:

Nice post, but few abbreviations you used need explanation:

*dVis? I'm guessing detecion spell, but which type?

> After I ?recall, I gain *telSelf *neutralize and *destTraps.

* means spell, right?

> for pseudo come first. I pick up my first -LightBeam, and now my pack is

Rod or Wand?

> room, contains a new amulet and ?MB5 as well.

Scroll of what?

> *dObj,

OK, so *dVis is something else than detect objects. I'm guessing detect
monster.

> spectre. I lose some wis and experience, get excited by a dungeon spellbook,
> but it is just a redundant copy of ?MB5.

Ah, so that was dungeon spellbook. "Magic Book 5"?

Timo Pietilä

Christophe

Jun 16, 2008, 12:14:03 PM6/16/08
Timo Pietilä a écrit :

> Eddie Grove wrote:
>> Trip 6:
>
> Nice post, but few abbreviations you used need explanation:
>
> *dVis? I'm guessing detecion spell, but which type?

I understand that one as "Detect Visible Monsters", best known as
"Detect Monsters". The first one is indeed a better name for what the
spell does.

You should read the whole first post at least since most things are
exaplained there. The real first post mind you, not the one used to
collect them all in a single thread.

Eddie Grove

Jun 16, 2008, 12:40:36 PM6/16/08
"Magnate" <n...@receiving.here> writes:

> Well done Eddie - these make superb and instructional reading. Just a couple
> of questions -
>
> Back in trip 3, you stood next to a spotted mushroom patch to test !loseExp
> ... did you mean !restoreExp?

No, I stepped next to it to get hit to lose hp in case the potion was some
sort of healing. Then I tested a potion, which turned out to be one that
makes you lose experience.

I don't mention most of the times I test potions. The combination of going
out of my way to let a monster hit me and the effect of losing a level must
have reached some threshold of interest.

I lost a couple earlier tries to distraction of note-taking. This time I
stopped trying to write well or edit my thoughts, and just noted anything that
reached a minimal level of interest.

> "Eddie Grove" <eddie...@hotmail.com> wrote
> > Trip 6:
> >
> > [Angband 3.0.9ef Character Dump]
> >
> > e) an Amulet of Resist Acid
> > It provides resistance to acid. It cannot be harmed by acid.
>
> Given that you are wearing Thorongil, why take this down with you? Surely
> the "rElec would be better, in case you upgrade your shield while down ...?

I should have left it in town. The reason was carelessness. I am often
forgetful about leaving [or selling] wielded stuff in town.

Also, I tend to think of Thorongil as SI+FA, so I might possibly have thought
I needed it.

These note files are pretty old by now. Is one trip a day the right frequency
for me to post them?

> > f) a Wooden Torch (4554 turns)
> > It usually provides light of radius 2, though this is reduced when
> > running of out fuel.
>
> Since Thorongil provides radius 4 light, why do you need torches?

That's an bug in the info code. Thorongil provides +1 to light radius.
Every bit helps.

> > k) a Rod of Trap Location {@z5 !!}
> > Your success rate is 97.8%, if confused 95.2%.
> >
> > l) a Rod of Light {@z3 !!}
> > Your success rate is 97.6%, if confused 93.7%.
> >
> > m) a Rod of Fire Bolts {!!}
> > Your success rate is 95.4%, if confused 8.3%.
>
> The success curve when confused is just insane.

That's why I think it is important to display it.

> > n) a Wand of Teleport Other (6 charges) {@a4}
> > Your success rate is 96.8%, if confused 83.3%.
> >
> > o) a Wand of Light (15 charges) {@a3}
> > Your success rate is 97.9%, if confused 95.6%.
> >
> > p) a Staff of Teleportation (3 charges) {!*}
> > Your success rate is 96.8%, if confused 83.3%.
>
> That's not bad at all.

Half-troll warriors really have to worry about device skills, but rogues are
good enough to make up for the racial penalty.

> > Adult: Randomize some of the artifacts (beta): no (adult_randarts)
>
> Doesn't 3.0.9 have new randart code? Do you just not like randarts?

I meant this to be useful to people who don't play with randarts.
I didn't want to argue about whether it was just some absurd randart
that facilitated my diving speed.

Also, the only way you can survive randarts at my diving speed is to be very
careful using my modded !knowledge, which in my patch gives *ID on everything
wielded. Even then, in perhaps a third of games there still isn't enough.

I didn't want to take the risk of needing to -clone death quasits.

> > Adult: Monsters chase current location : yes (adult_ai_sound)
> > Adult: Monsters chase recent locations : yes (adult_ai_smell)
> > Adult: Monsters act smarter in groups : yes (adult_ai_packs)
> > Adult: Monsters learn from their mistakes : no (adult_ai_learn)
> > Adult: Monsters exploit players weaknesses : no (adult_ai_cheat)
> > Adult: Monsters behave more intelligently (broken): no (adult_ai_smart)
>
> The last two I can understand, but what's wrong with smart_learn?

I just left the defaults. I have vague recollections of things being horribly
broken and some feeling that it was more than just smart monsters. Probably I
should turn that one on.

> Thanks again for the entertainment,

It's always nice to receive positive feedback. :)

Eddie

Eddie Grove

Jun 16, 2008, 12:54:49 PM6/16/08
Timo Pietilä <timo.p...@helsinki.fi> writes:

> Eddie Grove wrote:
> > Trip 6:
>
> Nice post, but few abbreviations you used need explanation:
>
> *dVis? I'm guessing detecion spell, but which type?

That is detect [Visible] monsters. The complement to detect Invisible
monsters.

> > After I ?recall, I gain *telSelf *neutralize and *destTraps.
>
> * means spell, right?

Yes, that is how I am using it. Perhaps that was a poor choice, but it felt
natural to me.

> > for pseudo come first. I pick up my first -LightBeam, and now my pack is
>
> Rod or Wand?

If I start with a capital letter, it is definitely a rod, so -'L'ightBeam
means the rod. If I start lower case, I might have forgotten to use
uppercase, but most likely that is a wand. Occasionally when I think charge
number is important I might write -telOther[3] to mean 3 charges on it.

I used to use --wandName and -rodName, but those -- things remind me of
changed options to Unix commands and I can't stand using them much.

Nowadays I use wands much more than I used to, so I had to change notation.

> > room, contains a new amulet and ?MB5 as well.
>
> Scroll of what?

I asked for better abbreviations for the nth magic book, no one offered one.

> > *dObj,
>
> OK, so *dVis is something else than detect objects. I'm guessing detect
> monster.

Your guess is correct.

> > spectre. I lose some wis and experience, get excited by a dungeon spellbook,
> > but it is just a redundant copy of ?MB5.
>
> Ah, so that was dungeon spellbook. "Magic Book 5"?

Got a better abbreviation? Too late now. :)

Eddie

Timo Pietilä

Jun 16, 2008, 2:24:05 PM6/16/08
Eddie Grove wrote:

> I used to use --wandName and -rodName, but those -- things remind me of
> changed options to Unix commands and I can't stand using them much.

hehheee. I think I saw that switch in Find -command man-page...

Timo Pietilä

Eddie Grove

Jun 16, 2008, 1:30:32 PM6/16/08

Trip 7:

My return to 2350' is boring, until a pack of impact hounds gets between me
and the stairs. I don't want them to follow me around, so need to *telSelf,
and I rest first. Then I *dVis, and there is a drolem around the corner, and
a collection of monsters typical of a vault. Too many black puddings and
mumaks for me to fight. I ?map, it is a vault, and no stairs nearby. I head
away from the drolem, plan to pass by the vault, but a dreadmaster appears and
I *telSelf again, back kind of near the hounds. I have to head by an
ancientRed, do not wish to fight, even hasted would take 25 hits at
40/quarrel, too much chance my staff would be burnt. I refuse to bounce
around on a level with a drolem, take an upstair.

At 2300', I see no one immediate threats with *dVis, but I take a few steps
and a wall disappears. I try to *phase a couple times, to gain some distance
hopefully moving into the next room, but fail. I am quite relieved when an
umber hulk appears, rather than a nasty unique. The third time is the charm,
and I make it to the stairs well ahead of the umber hulk.

At 2350' for the third time, happy to land in a corridor near a door. One
-LightBeam covers the approach. I don't have much mana after it takes
multiple attempts to *dObj, so I ?map and head for the stairs without *dVis.
Hopefully -LightBeam will keep me safe in corridors. When I reach the stairs,
I *dObj, and still nothing. I rest on the stairs, the only place I like to
rest, where I have an immediate exit and I don't care if monsters spawn on
this level since I am leaving.

At 2400', the only scary monster from *dVis is a louse. It is in a room with
the stairs, so I need to get there, but it is disconnected and it appears a
score of fire ants will block the route. I get as close as I can, *phase
twice to get into the room, but am surrounded by wolves. One more phase gets
me halfway across the room, and I reach the stairs only nipped a little bit.

At 2450', ?map shows stairs both left and right, but *dObj shows a new scroll
and that guides my path. I play *phase and shoot with a spectator and a
giant, and the giant has the audacity to keep throwing boulders. They always
hit, another reason AC is unimportant. The scroll is ?*ID, so if I played
with randarts only now would I be able to learn the properties of my artifact
cloak.

At 2500', I hear a door break as I land. Before I *dVis, I take stock. At
130932 turns, keeping a good pace. I am only missing rCold, not too bad, but
my damage is pathetic and I don't even have any wands of elemental balls.
Thorongil is a very nice cloak, so I shouldn't complain I guess. There is a
hellhound sleeping nearby, and a bunch of air hounds. I am in a pillared
room, but only upstairs. I move toward the hounds to scroll the screen, and
*dObj shows !heal and a new ring. I go to shoot the air hounds, but the
hellhound comes up behind me. I *phase to get out of LOS, then *telSelf on
the second try, out of mana. I ?map, step around the corner of a corridor
towards the stairs, and "it" shrieks. I -fireBolt down the corridor, killing
it, but another "it" shrieks. Must be a pack of crebains. I chose the wrong
moment to have insufficient mana for *dVis. I -LightBeam the corridor and
start shooting. Maybe I will luck out and no monsters are close enough to
come. There is a hasted shardstorm that is proving tough, then a maturebronze
comes from the other direction, and I -telOther. Too bad, I would have liked
to have killed it. I shoot my way through crebains, laugh at Ulwarth and a
purple worm who cannot quite reach the stairs before me.

At 2550', *dVis shows fire ants and also an ogre chieftain with escort. The
escort looks tasty. Unfortunately, ?map shows we are not connected. I _light
my room, -LightBeam the corridor leaving the room, and consider whether to
rest. I am at 221/299 and 7/26, but I am in the center of the level, a really
bad place to rest. After I move enough to scroll the screen, *dVis shows an
ancientgold, Ar-P, and a greater mummy with escorts. I do not wish to face
any of them, head back. I have a shovel for times like this, and will regain
some mana and hp while I dig. There is a path through magma and quartz, not
sure if I would be willing to tunnel through 6 squares of granite. I even
collect some adamantite on the way. I get into trouble, ants and ghouls and
ogres all at once, -telOther the chieftain, *phase a bit, even need _speed. I
cannot finish them off, have to _telSelf. What a colossal waste. There are
two new potions on the ground, and all my quarrels. But I can't reach the
quarrels due to ants, and I cannot kill the ants without quarrels. I should
probably figure out something better, but I just head to nearest stairs and
-telOther a master lich in the way.

At 2600', I read my last ?map, stairs are 10 paces down the corridor. I *dObj
a rod and a sword, costs me another charge of -telOther when something mean
and fast shows up. I didn't even *dVis, still upset from last level. Serious
error.

At 2650', land in a room with a cyclops, and nexus hounds are on the screen.
First I *dObj, then when nothing is compelling I *telSelf. I get good news
from *dVis, sort of, likely troll pit nearby. I get closer, forest trolls, 18
troll priests, nastiest are ologs, hopefully I can clear it. I fight and
retreat and fight and retreat, using rods and _starlight. That sword I
grabbed last level pseudos, is +2attacks, One of the trolls drops =rCold, so I
can have rBase if I want, but I am currently using neither =rCold nor flame
branded weapon. I get so many new flavors, including 2 !int and !wis and
!chr, I fear to run out of ?id, and I cannot even make it back to the moat
yet. I use new bolt wands, -fireBolt and -elecBolt, rather than quarrels,
want to use them up so I can toss them. I also get !con. I am down to 4 ?id
and 9 bolts, so maybe I should go home, but there are black orcs nearby
guarding a new scroll. I go kill the orcs, most excitement when a necromancer
comes from the other side of the room, have to vary -elecBall vs -acidBall to
avoid destroying loot. The orcs finally give me !saltWater, so I don't need
to carry food to test potions any more, but that is moot of course. The new
scroll is ?*REMOVECURSE, definitely time to go home. Except there is an
unaware ring in the next room ... I still haven't picked up the necromancer's
drop when a death knight shows. It can summon, so perhaps I should _speed or
-telOther. I might not even be able to id its drop, so -telOther. I use my
last ?id on !loseChr, ?recall, and head for unaware ring, sneaking past
mumaks. "It magically summons animals", and I *telSelf. I *dVis, think I am
safe, then "it casts a frost ball", ranger chieftain does not show up on
*dVis, but he blinks away. Then Harowen appears, but recall kicks in.

I return to town with 15518 AU. There are !CCW for sale again. There are 15
shots of slay evil, wonder if worth a slot at home. The great news is a huge
stack of ?telLevel for sale. Also, -FireBolt, but at nearly 12K it is
probably too expensive. I buy ?recall, torch, and 99 quarrels. I buy all 16
?id. I finally see ?recharge, buy all 13. I also buy ?dObj and ?+AC for
awareness. I guess I need to buy entire slots to try to get ?id to
regenerate, so I buy all 5 ?+dam and 24 ?phase. Then all 38 ?telLevel uses
most of my cash, perhaps should have saved more for !CCW. I manage to buy
only 3.

[Angband 3.0.9ef Character Dump]

Name Rast Self RB CB EB Best
Sex Male Age 23 STR: 18/01 +4 +2 +0 18/61

Race Half-Troll Height 106 INT: 18/28 -4 +1 +0 18
Class Rogue Weight 236 WIS: 11 -2 -2 +0 7

Title Filcher Status 1 DEX: 16 -4 +3 +0 15

HP 346/346 Maximize Y CON: 18 +3 +1 +3 18/70
SP 37/37 CHR: 11 -6 -1 +0 4

Level 28 Armor [19,+21] Saving Throw 48
Cur Exp 63703 Fight (+1,+3) Stealth 4
Max Exp 63703 Melee (+11,+14) Fighting 225
Adv Exp 72500 Shoot (+13,+9) Shooting 179
MaxDepth 2650 ft Blows 1/turn Disarming 86
Turns 149426 Shots 1/turn Magic Device 55
Gold 78 Infra 30 ft Perception 29
Burden 179.9 lbs Energy 100% Searching 31

[...]

b) a Light Crossbow of Extra Might (x3) (+12,+9) (+1) {worm1550}

It increases your shooting power by 1.

c) a Ring of Resist Cold
It provides resistance to cold. It cannot be harmed by cold.
d) a Ring of Constitution (+3)
It increases your constitution by 3. It sustains your constitution.

e) an Amulet of Resist Acid
It provides resistance to acid. It cannot be harmed by acid.

f) a Wooden Torch (6000 turns)

It usually provides light of radius 2, though this is reduced when
running of out fuel.

g) Soft Studded Leather [5] {good}
h) The Cloak of Thorongil [1,+10] {worm1550}
It provides resistance to acid and fear. It usually provides light
of radius 4. It grants you immunity to paralysis and the ability to
see invisible things. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
i) a Large Metal Shield of Resist Lightning [5,+10]

It provides resistance to lightning. It cannot be harmed by
electricity.
j) an Iron Helm [5] {good}

k) (nothing)
l) a Pair of Hard Leather Boots [3] {good}

[Character Inventory]

a) 2 Books of Magic Spells [Magic for Beginners] {@m1 @G1}
b) a Book of Magic Spells [Conjurings and Tricks] {@m2 @G2}
c) a Book of Magic Spells [Resistances of Scarabtarices] {@m5 @G5}

It cannot be harmed by the elements.
d) 15 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds
e) 3 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
f) 6 Scrolls of Phase Door
g) 9 Scrolls of Teleport Level {!*}
h) 4 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
i) 27 Scrolls of Identify {@r1}
j) 4 Scrolls of Recharging
k) 8 Scrolls of Magic Mapping {@r2}
l) a Scroll of Object Detection {@r3}
m) 2 Scrolls of *Destruction* {!*}
n) a Rod of Light {@z3 !!}
Your success rate is 97.7%, if confused 94.1%.

o) a Rod of Fire Bolts {!!}
Your success rate is 96.0%, if confused 9.5%.

p) a Wand of Teleport Other (1 charge) {@a4}
Your success rate is 97.1%, if confused 85.7%.

q) a Wand of Acid Balls (4 charges)
Your success rate is 80.0%, if confused 2.4%.

It cannot be harmed by acid.

r) 2 Wands of Lightning Balls (3 charges)
Your success rate is 95.0%, if confused 5.5%.

s) a Staff of Teleportation (5 charges) {!*}
Your success rate is 97.1%, if confused 85.7%.

t) a Staff of Speed (4 charges) {!*}
Your success rate is 93.3%, if confused 3.9%.

u) Double Chain Mail [16]
v) 70 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0) {@f1}

[Home Inventory]

a) 4 Books of Magic Spells [Magic for Beginners] {@m1 @G1}

b) a Book of Magic Spells [Conjurings and Tricks] {@m2 @G2}
c) a Book of Magic Spells [Sorcery and Evocations] {@m4 @G4}

d) 2 Books of Magic Spells [Resistances of Scarabtarices] {@m5 @G5}
It cannot be harmed by the elements.
e) a Potion of Healing
f) a Potion of Restore Mana
g) 18 Scrolls of Phase Door
h) 29 Scrolls of Teleport Level {!*}
i) a Scroll of *Identify*
j) a Scroll of *Remove Curse*
k) 4 Scrolls of Enchant Weapon To-Dam
l) 9 Scrolls of Recharging
m) 15 Scrolls of Magic Mapping {@r2}
n) a Wand of Stone to Mud (0 charges)
Your success rate is 97.7%, if confused 94.1%.

o) a Staff of Teleportation (5 charges) {!*}
Your success rate is 97.1%, if confused 85.7%.

p) a Staff of Perception (0 charges) {@u1}
Your success rate is 97.7%, if confused 94.1%.

q) a Ring of Free Action

It grants you immunity to paralysis.

r) a Ring of See Invisible

It grants you the ability to see invisible things.

s) a Ring of Intelligence (+4)
It increases your intelligence by 4. It sustains your intelligence.

t) an Amulet of Charisma (+3)

It increases your charisma by 3. It sustains your charisma.

u) an Amulet of Resist Lightning
It provides resistance to lightning. It cannot be harmed by
electricity.
v) a Cloak of Protection [1]
w) a Short Sword of Extra Attacks (1d7) (+11,+10) (+2)
It increases your attack speed by 2. You get 4 blows per round with
this weapon.
x) 80 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0) {@f1}

[...]

Eddie Grove

Jun 16, 2008, 5:09:27 PM6/16/08
Eddie Grove <eddie...@hotmail.com> writes:

> "Magnate" <n...@receiving.here> writes:
> > "Eddie Grove" <eddie...@hotmail.com> wrote
> > > Trip 6:
> > >
> > > [Angband 3.0.9ef Character Dump]
> > >
> > > e) an Amulet of Resist Acid
> > > It provides resistance to acid. It cannot be harmed by acid.
> >
> > Given that you are wearing Thorongil, why take this down with you? Surely
> > the "rElec would be better, in case you upgrade your shield while down ...?
>
> I should have left it in town. The reason was carelessness. I am often
> forgetful about leaving [or selling] wielded stuff in town.
>
> Also, I tend to think of Thorongil as SI+FA, so I might possibly have thought
> I needed it.

We have a loser! Wait until you see how I re-kit after Trip 9.
I was completely oblivious to the fact Thorongil gave rAcid.

This was not one of my better played games.

Eddie

Slash

Jun 17, 2008, 11:46:49 AM6/17/08

Would you be interested in arranging this and posting on roguetemple?

--
Slashie

Eddie Grove

Jun 17, 2008, 11:13:31 AM6/17/08

Trip 8:

I return to 2650' in a room with a shimmering vortex. I cannot kill it with
one shot, and don't dare let it shriek when I don't know what may be nearby,
so I _telSelf. I pick up mithril quarrels, slowed, drop some avg quarrels.
The stairs are guarded by 11H-hydra and shimmering vortex, no obvious place to
go, so I *telSelf. I *dVis, and Itangast is in the room with me. I guess it
is time to use my wands. I _speed, *rFire, step to exit, -LightBeam the way
out, and *light the room. I use up all my wands just before the second time I
need to ?phase, which lands in a different room. I ?recharge -acidBalls, this
being an exception to the rule only to use ?recharge for escapes. Then
-LightBeam the incoming route, *light the room, and !CSW while I wait. I use
-acidBalls when Itangast returns, killing an earth elemental in the way with
the splash, ?recharge and -acidBall some more. The next ?phase takes me back
to the other room, and I have to decide whether to continue with -acidBalls or
switch to mithril quarrels. I don't want to risk my _speed, so I ?recharge
for the 3rd time. I finish him with mithril quarrels, absolutely must keep 1
?recharge for -telOther. Should mention 2 !CSW to cure confusion during the
proceedings. I get 2 more ?MB5 from him. I wonder if I would test armor with
-acidBall if I had a charge left, but I don't have to make that decision. I
rest for mana, hoping for pseudo, don't get it. Then I ?id "Carlammas, and
suddenly pseudo kicks in twice. That gives rFire, so I should go home to
switch weapons. No splendid weapons, only excellent is a glaive(2d6){sDemon},
not interesting. I wield excellent armor, lose mana, toss helm and boots. I
cannot go home -- no money yet! I'll need slots, toss -acidBall, sorry to see
it go. I get close to both stairs and upstairs. There is a CrystalWyrm
sleeping nearby, could instakill me, and I ?map to see whether I should dig to
the upstairs, but I can make the stairs without too much danger.

At 2700', I land near a storm giant. It seems a waste, but I want to preserve
my -telOther, so I _speed before shooting. My various ?phase and *phase land me
in a room with forest trolls before I finish it, and several wake. However,
there is a serious threat. Back in the first room, clear mush was growing,
and once the giant is dead I ignore the trolls to go back for the breeders.
By the time I finish the trolls, I have enough money to go home. OTOH, I am
near the stairs already. My final question is whether to carry unpseudoed
"chr or ?createTraps. I go for the scroll.

At 2750', I land in a corridor. I -Lightbeam one direction, then *dVis,
spiders and ogres and a shaman and air elemental, pretty safe if I don't let
the elemental hit me. I go through the spiders to kill ogres, see Lokkak,
must have been off screen. With only 1 blow, I cannot kill Lokkak, so I use
last charge of -telOther. On the bright side, that lets me use my last
?recharge and regain a slot. I try to kill the escort straight up, cannot do
it, resort to _speed. Silly me, I forgot to try using Carlammas for PFE.
When I finally think to do so, that makes finishing them easy. I get !str and
!wis. I finally ?recall.

I return to town with 3898 AU. I have another decision, could spend most of
that on a cap of light. I buy food, 2 ?recall, all 23 ?id, and all 9 !CCW
instead. I spend my change of spare 5 ?MB1.

Somewhere in there I guess I found or pseudoed my sword {att+2}, but forgot to
note it. I remember first using it against trolls, but forget which trolls.

Now that I have rBase and 4 blows, am mildly effectual.

[Angband 3.0.9ef Character Dump]

Name Rast Self RB CB EB Best

Sex Male Age 23 STR: 18/32 +4 +2 +0 18/92

Race Half-Troll Height 106 INT: 18/28 -4 +1 +0 18

Class Rogue Weight 236 WIS: 12 -2 -2 +0 8

Title Filcher Status 1 DEX: 16 -4 +3 +0 15

HP 381/381 Maximize Y CON: 18 +3 +1 +5 18/90
SP 38/38 CHR: 11 -6 -1 +0 4

Level 29 Armor [6,+21] Saving Throw 50
Cur Exp 104402 Fight (+4,+5) Stealth 4
Max Exp 104402 Melee (+15,+15) Fighting 241
Adv Exp 108750 Shoot (+16,+9) Shooting 191
MaxDepth 2750 ft Blows 4/turn Disarming 87
Turns 161351 Shots 1/turn Magic Device 56
Gold 6 Infra 30 ft Perception 29
Burden 125.2 lbs Energy 100% Searching 31

Your father was a Stone-Troll Warrior. You have slime-green eyes,
dirty sea-weed green hair, and white scabby skin.

abcdefghijkl@ abcdefghijkl@
Acid:.......+..... Blind:.............
Elec:........+.... Confu:.............
Fire:....+........ Sound:.............

Cold:..+.......... Shard:.............
Pois:............. Nexus:.............
Fear:.......+..... Nethr:.............
Lite:............. Chaos:.............
Dark:............. Disen:.............

abcdefghijkl@ abcdefghijkl@
S.Dig:............. Stea.:.............
Feath:............. Sear.:.............
PLite:.......+..... Infra:.............
Regen:............+ Tunn.:.............
Telep:............. Speed:.............

Invis:.......+..... Blows:+............

FrAct:.......+..... Shots:.............
HLife:............. Might:.+...........

[Character Equipment]

a) a Short Sword of Extra Attacks (1d7) (+11,+10) (+2)

It increases your attack speed by 2. You get 4 blows per round with
this weapon.

b) a Light Crossbow of Extra Might (x3) (+12,+9) (+1) {worm1550}
It increases your shooting power by 1.
c) a Ring of Resist Cold
It provides resistance to cold. It cannot be harmed by cold.
d) a Ring of Constitution (+3)
It increases your constitution by 3. It sustains your constitution.

e) The Amulet of Carlammas (+2) (charging)
It increases your constitution by 2. It provides resistance to fire.
It activates for protection from evil every 225+d225 turns. It
cannot be harmed by the elements.
f) a Wooden Torch (4826 turns)

It usually provides light of radius 2, though this is reduced when
running of out fuel.

g) (nothing)

h) The Cloak of Thorongil [1,+10] {worm1550}
It provides resistance to acid and fear. It usually provides light
of radius 4. It grants you immunity to paralysis and the ability to
see invisible things. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
i) a Large Metal Shield of Resist Lightning [5,+10]

It provides resistance to lightning. It cannot be harmed by
electricity.
j) (nothing)
k) (nothing)
l) (nothing)

[Character Inventory]

a) 2 Books of Magic Spells [Magic for Beginners] {@m1 @G1}
b) a Book of Magic Spells [Conjurings and Tricks] {@m2 @G2}
c) a Book of Magic Spells [Resistances of Scarabtarices] {@m5 @G5}

It cannot be harmed by the elements.
d) 2 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds
e) 12 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds

f) a Potion of Healing

g) 6 Scrolls of Phase Door
h) 9 Scrolls of Teleport Level {!*}
i) 4 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
j) 36 Scrolls of Identify {@r1}
k) 3 Scrolls of Recharging
l) 6 Scrolls of Magic Mapping {@r2}

m) 2 Scrolls of *Destruction* {!*}
n) a Rod of Light {@z3 !!}

Your success rate is 97.8%, if confused 94.4%.

o) a Rod of Acid Bolts {!!}
Your success rate is 93.7%, if confused 4.1%.

p) a Rod of Fire Bolts {!!}
Your success rate is 96.1%, if confused 11.1%.

q) a Wand of Teleport Other (4 charges) {@a4}
Your success rate is 97.2%, if confused 87.5%.

r) a Staff of Teleportation (4 charges) {!*}
Your success rate is 97.2%, if confused 87.5%.

s) a Staff of Speed (1 charge) {!*}
Your success rate is 93.7%, if confused 4.1%.

t) an Amulet of Resist Acid

It provides resistance to acid. It cannot be harmed by acid.

u) 65 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0) {@f1}
v) 16 Mithril Bolts (3d5) (+0,+0)
It cannot be harmed by acid or fire.

[Home Inventory]

a) 8 Books of Magic Spells [Magic for Beginners] {@m1 @G1}

b) a Book of Magic Spells [Conjurings and Tricks] {@m2 @G2}
c) a Book of Magic Spells [Sorcery and Evocations] {@m4 @G4}

d) 4 Books of Magic Spells [Resistances of Scarabtarices] {@m5 @G5}

It cannot be harmed by the elements.

e) a Potion of Restore Mana
f) 12 Scrolls of Phase Door
g) 29 Scrolls of Teleport Level {!*}
h) a Scroll of *Identify*
i) a Scroll of *Remove Curse*
j) 4 Scrolls of Enchant Weapon To-Dam
k) 6 Scrolls of Recharging
l) 13 Scrolls of Magic Mapping {@r2}
m) a Wand of Stone to Mud (0 charges)
Your success rate is 97.8%, if confused 94.4%.

n) a Staff of Teleportation (5 charges) {!*}
Your success rate is 97.2%, if confused 87.5%.

o) a Ring of Free Action

It grants you immunity to paralysis.

p) a Ring of See Invisible

It grants you the ability to see invisible things.

q) a Ring of Intelligence (+4)

It increases your intelligence by 4. It sustains your intelligence.

r) a Ring of Constitution (+3)

It increases your constitution by 3. It sustains your constitution.

s) an Amulet of Resist Lightning
It provides resistance to lightning. It cannot be harmed by
electricity.
t) Augmented Chain Mail of Resist Lightning (-2) [16,+10]
It provides resistance to lightning. It cannot be harmed by
electricity.
u) a Cloak of Protection [1]
v) a Broad Sword of Frost (2d5)
It is branded with frost. You get 1 blow per round with this weapon.
With additional +4 str you would get 2 blows. With additional +4
dex you would get 2 blows.
w) a Halberd of Flame (3d5) (+10,+11)

It is branded with fire. It provides resistance to fire. It cannot
be harmed by fire. You get 1 blow per round with this weapon.

x) 70 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0) {@f1}

Eddie Grove

Jun 17, 2008, 11:29:18 AM6/17/08
Slash <java....@gmail.com> writes:

I am happy to share with anyone willing to read what I write.
What do you have in mind beyond copying the posts?
Search for "tales of the bold" for a similar thing I wrote a couple years ago.

But if I am in a position to negotiate, I might request someone to help me as
an editor. My "I do this. I do that." prose is mildly embarassing, and
someone would need to excerpt all the abbreviations and write a glossary.
I couldn't get myself to write a proper intro, and after a couple weeks
worried I'd never post the tales if I didn't just start anyway.

I read mail sent to the address I post under. It is not a spamtrap.

Eddie

Eddie Grove

Jun 17, 2008, 7:18:18 PM6/17/08

Trip 9:

I return to 2750', and *dVis shows hill orcs. I ?map, in a disconnected room.
I scroll the screen, *dVis again, no obvious danger going around. OTOH, no
obvious benefit, and I change my mind and go near and *phase in. I kill a
couple, and then a death quasit appears in the wall. I _speed, ?phase, and
*light the room waking some more orcs, cannot be helped. I do some damage
with mithril quarrels, but it also summons a glabrezu. When a ?phase takes me
out of the room, I don't know whether to be relieved. It comes through a
wall, blinds me, and when I kill it I get confused! I !CSW, see a lesser
balrog, who luckily did not drain -telOther. I get rid of it, *dVis again, no
others, must have been summoned while I was blind. I !CSW again for the slot,
gather the loot, got first !rMana and rod -TelOther. Also, !str. I ?recharge
_speed, does not blow up. Slots are too tight, and I guess the time has come
to give up on -AcidBolt. Now it looks too hard to phase back into the hill
orc room, since they have moved close and all the nearby squares are occupied.
A sword pseudos and I toss it, but despite the newly open slot I do not go
back for -AcidBolt. I'd just have to drop it sooner or later anyway. I head
into a group of mixed trolls, *dVis, no unique, maybe a pit offscreen. This
time I remember to use Carlammas for PFE. They just keep coming, and when I
am down to 80 hp I have to decide whether to !heal or _speed. If I use !heal,
I gain a slot, but I should probably save it as an escape. The speed allows
me to get in some -LightBeam and quarrels, easier when they are softened, but
it runs out and they still keep coming. I ?phase, wonder if I could be so
weak as to need two charges of _speed to deal with trolls. I finally get a
breather, !CCW to remove poison, and *dVis shows only 3 left, plus some black
oozes. I am ignoring an ooze, and it drains my mana, didn't remember it did
that. I get !int and !chr, surprisinly my first !loseStr and !sleep. They
drop ?MB3 and ?MB4, and for laughs I gain *id and try it on an amulet that
turns out to be adornment. Now I have to decide how much time to spend on
pseudo before I just ?id stuff. It's not just about money -- it is possible
there will be none for sale when I next return to town. When it rains, it
pours. Armor is excellent, ?id says rElec. Is it worth 7 mana to take home
another rElec armor? I toss it. Then a shield is rCold, and I reconsider,
but then rereconsider. If I want armor{rElec}, I will just go home. I use
-TelOther for the first time for real on a master mystic on the way to a staff
that turns out to be _dispelEvil. Now I just need another troll pit. I drop
-FireBolt to pick it up, may seem strange to carry ?map and ?PFE instead, but
a slot for just one bolt in a fight is no longer worthwhile. Then I run into
a ghast with a pack of ghouls. It is in a pillared room, cannot effectively
use _dispelEvil, so the fight takes a while. I get !con. All this is
happening as I try to make my way back to the hill orcs to retrieve some
mithril quarrels. Then a necromancer, and just before I kill it, summons a
master vampire, more delays. It gives me !speed, so I should not complain. I
decide the time has come to dump ?MB2, have a spare at home, not necessary
when I have _telSelf, maybe not that important regardless. My disarming is
pretty good. I finally make it back, killing a few wargs, kill some orcs for
another !con and -TelOther the demon. Ugluk shows up, and I have to fight him
for my quarrels. He does some significant damage before I kill him, but I am
finally tougher than the likes of him. I finally clear the room, get my
mithril quarrels, and the unaware scroll that led me here in the first place,
?summonUndead. Ugluk dropped an excellent two-hand flail, but it's far too
heavy for non-splendid to be even moderately interesting. One the way back to
the stairs, Ar-P hits me. I'd saved the game, had no memory of detecting him,
but -TelOther makes up for forgetfulness. Then I have to melee a maturegold,
kind of remember detecting him. A scimitar is excellent, and if slay evil
with good plusses would be worth keeping, but it isn't. I am down on hp, have
slots, go get some stuff I dropped.

At 2800', ettin and druid in my room. I kill the druid, dropping -FireBolt
again, leave the ettin behind. Then I shoot a Lich for -dAll. I am not sure
how useful that is to a rogue.

At 2850', I land two steps from a sabretooth. I *dVis, letting it get a free
hit, and also get hit by a breath from a plasma vortex. I _telSelf, and this
time *dVis shows no one. Unfortunately, ?map shows nearby stairs yet again,
will I ever go home? I notice the edge of a treasure room on the map, move to
scroll screen to *dObj, get hit by a grandmaster mystic. I use -telOther
rather than -TelOther for lesser failure rate. Then Harowen comes and I
-TelOther. I go toward the treasure room and kill orcs for another _speed. I
get careless, and a drolem appears at the door I never bothered to detect. I
-telOther, maybe should have used ?telLevel instead. One of the reasons I
came this way was a new rod, -ElecBall, not really interesting. It doesn't do
enough damage, and might hurt rings on the floor. I clear the treasure room,
nothing interesting, luckily there is a trapdoor so I don't need to backtrack.
I have tossed my ?map and plain quarrels for a slot for pseudo, really have to
go home soon.

At 2900', *dVis shows great news, an orc pit. The only danger is a berserker.
I try to find my way to the pit, away from the berserker, which takes me
toward the center of the dungeon. This might have been a mistake, Adunaphel
comes for me, but better to face her now than at the pit. I am going to
?destruct to remove her from the level, but first I _speed and *phase and
-dAll to see if there are any other foes I should try to get with the same
scroll. I head to the orcs, but speed runs out too soon. If I had stoneToMud
I could break into the pit and _dispelEvil, but I don't, so I waste time
killing them one at a time as they come at me. On the plus side I don't have
to go all over picking things up. I get 2 !int and !con, and my first
!lightBrown, squelch unaware. Also, excellent broken dagger, bah. Since I
didn't fill any slots, the nearby stairs beckon.

At 2950', *dVis shows clumped monsters including Shelob at the edge of the
screen. Likely there is a vault there. However, there is an unguarded !str
in the other direction, and I get it first. I head over to the vault, it is 4
triangles "Planet X". I -dAll, see mostly wimpy guards, except for Shelob and
Tselakus. Tselakus is in the middle with passwall, will come out wherever I
enter. I _speed and tunnel in. It wears off, I tunnel and _speed again.
When Tselakus shows, I use my last charge of -telOther, and ?recharge it. I
can get into two more chambers digging a single center square, leaving
Shelob's chamber for last. I am killing water trolls when _speed wears off,
think I can finish them without another charge, than a matureBlack I forgot
about joins in and I _speed again. I get first !exp and !neutralize and
!*HEAL and mush{rAll} and =rFire and -polymorph. The stupid rule about !exp
only working fully if you have in excess of 200K exp means I will take it home
and leave it there for a while rather than drinking it. I have dropped lots
of stuff to pick things up for pseudo, just in time *dVis to reconsider
Shelob's chamber, and see a cloud giant about to grab my stuff! I *phase out,
and -TelOther when he comes to me. I tunnel into Shelobs chamber, pseudoing
while I do, fight the rest but -TelOther her. It is finally time to go home.
I drop my spellbooks, including ?MB5, having plenty at home. I have 3 ?id
left and 4 items, still need one more to pseudo. It is going to be hard to
decide what to take home. I almost read ?*ENCHANT on my mithril bolts, but
discipline prevails and I enchant my xbow, happily surprised when it boosts to
+10 damage. I wait a bit, get a pseudo, ?id the rest, all are junk,
simplifies matters.

I return to town with 33748 AU. In the magic shop, _dMoney is unaware, wonder
if it is worth 500 to buy for awareness. It may also be time for ?MB3 for
*stoneToMud and *id and *dInv. With 50 mana it is borderline. I buy ?MB1 to
*stink urchins. There is a shield{rBase} at the black market, cannot afford
58K for it. I guess I still need to accumulate money, answering question
about _dMoney. I buy another ?destruct. I get ?recall and another torch and
a ration. I buy all 43 ?id and all 19 ?map. I probably don't need them, but
I buy all 19 ?phase to clear a slot, wonder whether I will toss them or use
them. I also buy all 6 ?+hit for later, wonder what I'll dump from home to
make room. I could get rBase by swapping in =rFire and "rAcid, but that would
cost 5 points of con. Since I am forgoing rAcid, and about to go below 3000',
I give in and buy armor. That drops me from 50 to 31 mana. To make room at
home, I toss -stoneToMud and ?MB2 and ?MB4. [I will wish later that I saved
?MB4, this was a mistake.] I would like to leave -dAll at home, but cannot
figure out what to toss, and it is my only form of dInv so perhaps worth a
slot to carry. I am at full encumbrance, before starting, have to re-think.
I decide I need to leave some ?map and ?id at home, free more slots by tossing
=rFire and =rCold.

At this point in the game, fairly often I have to make decisions about whether
to go without rAcid, so the above discussion about "rAcid is meaningful in
that context. However, I was oblivious to the fact Thorongil was granting
rAcid! Perhaps lack of mana from wearing gauntlets hurt me considerably on
the next trip.

[Angband 3.0.9ef Character Dump]

Name Rast Self RB CB EB Best

Sex Male Age 23 STR: 18/73 +4 +2 +0 18/133
Race Half-Troll Height 106 INT: 18/77 -4 +1 +0 18/47

Class Rogue Weight 236 WIS: 12 -2 -2 +0 8

Title Filcher Status 1 Dex: 16 -4 +3 +0 15 14
HP 566/566 Maximize Y CON: 18/60 +3 +1 +8 18/180
SP 31/31 CHR: 12 -6 -1 +0 5

Level 30 Armor [26,+26] Saving Throw 51
Cur Exp 137747 Fight (+6,+9) Stealth 4
Max Exp 137747 Melee (+17,+19) Fighting 251
Adv Exp 145000 Shoot (+18,+10) Shooting 200
MaxDepth 2950 ft Blows 4/turn Disarming 90
Turns 188461 Shots 1/turn Magic Device 59
Gold 26047 Infra 30 ft Perception 29
Burden 167.3 lbs Energy 100% Searching 31

[...]

this weapon. With additional +4 str you would get 5 blows. With
additional +5 dex you would get 5 blows.
b) a Light Crossbow of Extra Might (x3) (+12,+10) (+1) {worm1550}

It increases your shooting power by 1.

c) a Ring of Constitution (+3)

It increases your constitution by 3. It sustains your constitution.

d) a Ring of Constitution (+3)
It increases your constitution by 3. It sustains your constitution.

e) The Amulet of Carlammas (+2)

It increases your constitution by 2. It provides resistance to fire.
It activates for protection from evil every 225+d225 turns. It
cannot be harmed by the elements.

f) a Wooden Torch (5924 turns)

It usually provides light of radius 2, though this is reduced when
running of out fuel.

g) Augmented Chain Mail of Resist Lightning (-2) [16,+10]
It provides resistance to lightning. It cannot be harmed by
electricity.

h) The Cloak of Thorongil [1,+10] {worm1550}
It provides resistance to acid and fear. It usually provides light
of radius 4. It grants you immunity to paralysis and the ability to

see invisible things. It cannot be harmed by the elements.

i) a Small Leather Shield of Resist Cold [2,+6]
It provides resistance to cold. It cannot be harmed by cold.
j) a Hard Leather Cap [2,+0]
k) a Set of Gauntlets [2,+0]
l) a Pair of Hard Leather Boots [3,+0]

[Character Inventory]

a) 2 Books of Magic Spells [Magic for Beginners] {@m1 @G1}

b) a Book of Magic Spells [Resistances of Scarabtarices] {@m5 @G5}
It cannot be harmed by the elements.
c) 5 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
d) a Potion of Healing
e) 31 Scrolls of Phase Door
f) 9 Scrolls of Teleport Level {!*}
g) 4 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}

h) 25 Scrolls of Identify {@r1}

i) 7 Scrolls of Recharging
j) 16 Scrolls of Magic Mapping {@r2}
k) 3 Scrolls of *Destruction* {!*}
l) a Rod of Detection {@z9 !!}
Your success rate is 96.5%, if confused 13.3%.
It cannot be harmed by electricity.
m) a Rod of Teleport Other {@z4 !!}
Your success rate is 92.8%, if confused 3.3%.

n) a Rod of Light {@z3 !!}

Your success rate is 97.9%, if confused 94.7%.

o) a Wand of Teleport Other (3 charges) {@a4}
Your success rate is 97.4%, if confused 88.8%.

p) a Wand of Fire Balls (4 charges)
Your success rate is 88.8%, if confused 2.6%.
It cannot be harmed by fire.
q) a Staff of Teleportation (5 charges) {!*}
Your success rate is 97.4%, if confused 88.8%.

r) 2 Staffs of Speed (3 charges) {!*}
Your success rate is 94.7%, if confused 4.4%.

s) a Staff of Dispel Evil (7 charges)
Your success rate is 88.8%, if confused 2.6%.

t) 50 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0) {@f1}
u) 16 Mithril Bolts (3d5) (+0,+0)

It cannot be harmed by acid or fire.

[Home Inventory]

a) 7 Books of Magic Spells [Magic for Beginners] {@m1 @G1}
b) 3 Books of Magic Spells [Resistances of Scarabtarices] {@m5 @G5}
It cannot be harmed by the elements.
c) a Mushroom of Restoring
d) a Potion of Speed
e) a Potion of *Healing* {!*}
f) 3 Potions of Restore Mana
g) a Potion of Experience
h) 30 Scrolls of Teleport Level {!*}
i) 18 Scrolls of Identify {@r1}
j) a Scroll of *Identify*
k) a Scroll of *Remove Curse*
l) 6 Scrolls of Enchant Weapon To-Hit
m) 4 Scrolls of Enchant Weapon To-Dam
n) 16 Scrolls of Magic Mapping {@r2}
o) 3 Staffs of Teleportation (18 charges) {!*}
Your success rate is 97.4%, if confused 88.8%.

p) a Ring of Free Action

It grants you immunity to paralysis.

q) a Ring of See Invisible

It grants you the ability to see invisible things.

r) a Ring of Intelligence (+4)

It increases your intelligence by 4. It sustains your intelligence.

s) an Amulet of Resist Acid

It provides resistance to acid. It cannot be harmed by acid.

t) an Amulet of Resist Lightning

It provides resistance to lightning. It cannot be harmed by
electricity.
u) a Cloak of Protection [1]

v) a Large Metal Shield of Resist Lightning [5,+10]
It provides resistance to lightning. It cannot be harmed by
electricity.
w) a Broad Sword of Frost (2d5)
It is branded with frost. You get 2 blows per round with this
weapon.
x) a Halberd of Flame (3d5) (+10,+11)

It is branded with fire. It provides resistance to fire. It cannot

be harmed by fire. You get 1 blow per round with this weapon. With
additional +4 str you would get 2 blows. With additional +5 dex you
would get 2 blows.

Eddie Grove

Jun 18, 2008, 12:33:19 PM6/18/08

Trip 10:

At 2950', *dVis shows an ancientRed, but also Vargo is kind of in the same
direction. I guess to go the other way. No one of note gets in my way.

At 3000', *dVis shows Scatha pretty near. I _speed, *rCold, go in and *light.
I plan to start with -fireBalls. My first ?phase take me to the next room,
*light again, getting low on mana. Damned gloves. When I use up all 4
charges on -fireBalls, I switch to mithril quarrels, won't ?recharge until
some random ?phase takes me out of LOS. I use up all mithril quarrels, Scatha
has 4 *s left, still haven't left LOS. My *rCold wears off, only 10 mana,
oops. I have to -TelOther when a roc shows up. Then _speed wears off, but I
have more charges. I finally get a chance to ?recharge -fireBall, but it
explodes. Scatha gets a frost breath in before 12 mana, but not too painful,
I *rCold, yet it is a later doubly resisted breath that freezes my !heal. I
finally kill him. I wield stuff without pseudo, so it will pseudo faster,
since Scatha has DROP_GOOD and nothing dropped was a potential heavy-cursed
artifact. I ?recharge a _speed, since two staves down to 1 charge. I get yet
another ?MB5 and !str and !int. Unfortunately, everything else gets squelched
except arrows{good} and an orcish pick, of questionable value. After I pick
up my quarrels, I am slowed, toss the pick. I take a circuitous route to
avoid Vargo, later detect Rogrog with escort a little too close to Vargo for
comfort. I might as well kill the escort. It's a shame I have only one
-LightBeam. Typically I have several by this depth. Then I realize I screwed
up, should have used _speed to charge in for _dispelEvil. Perhaps it is not
too late. I screw up and have to use 2 charges of -telOther, get yet another
?MB5, and also _destruct and the Phial. In my patch id is not required for
activation, and things that activate generally become aware/known, so I
activate the Phial for full knowledge. I picked up -stoneToMud earlier, toss
it now needing slots for pseudo. My remaining ?phase have to go, but I used
more than I expected, no complaints. There are more trolls outside the room,
and I carelessly kill them without *dVis. I see a master mystic behind,
-TelOther, then see Smaug. I should have gotten them together. I *dVis, no
other threats, and I have no ball attacks and am short on quarrels, should not
fight Smaug now. I see a new staff, opposite direction from the stairs, but I
go get it. On the way, a measly darkelven druid summons a matureWhite, and I
get distracted for a while. ?MB5 for *rCold is nice, see I am carrying 3
again. I am excited by a new potion, just !halvePoison. I have to fight the
ancientRed for the staff, turns out to be _dMoney. No way down, I have to
head back, can pick up stuff I dropped for pseudo slots. I kill a darkelf
warrior for !int, pretty smart now. I *dVis Smaug, *rFire just in case, but
-TelOther without needing it. I keep using *light, need to learn to ~light
with the Phial.

At 3050', I !enlight. What an empty level! I see !dex and a new rod, and a
couple other items, not much at all. I *dVis, see a hand druj next to !dex,
who could easily end my game. If I cannot get into position to -TelOther
before it wakes, which seems most unlikly, probably a mistake to go near.
It's one of those can't-get-there-from-here positions, but ?phase lucks out on
the first try, getting me to where I can head towards !dex. I start to shoot
a black wraith, questionable, when an energy vortex comes into breath range
behind it. One -TelOther gets them both. A later *dVis shows a 2x2 moated
room containing Boldor and Brodda and no guards tougher than a few ancient
dragons, might be worth a detour. I get close, the druj is awake, check
monster memory. I guess it is the tougher drujs that are worrisome, hand
appears not so bad. I get close, _speed, step into LOS and it teleports me
away. I head for the unaware rod, killing wimps along the way, and somehow
despite being careful with *dVis, an enchantress gets the jump on me and keeps
blinding me. I should have used _speed first. Instead I keep using !CCW, and
by the time I can -TelOther I have an ancientGreen and matureRed to deal with.
I _speed, a bit late. They repeatedly poison and blind me, down to 2 !CCW by
the time I am done. I drop one _speed so that I can ?recharge both. The rod
is -ColdBalls, stairs are near, decide not worth tracking down Boldor. I am
still hurt, 477/586, when I reach the stairs, but do not rest.

At 3100', I *dVis, TIME HOUNDS!!! I cannot target them, and the question is
whether to _speed [5% failure] first before I start trying _destruct [9%
failure]. I just _destruct, which blinds me. I do not wish to use one of
last two !CCW, so I rest hoping no one deadly finds me. I ?map, figure my way
through the maze, step next to a death quasit. It seemed like a waste to
-dAll in a newly created destruction zone, but perhaps I should have. I
?phase, _speed, and melee, down to dex 5 but still have 4 blows. I get 2 more
?MB5, what a waste. I think I have found more ?MB5 than all other mage books
combined. While I am sorting the drop, a mage comes and gives me !dex. I
make it to the stairs with no further adventures, but have tossed all ?phase
and ?map for slots for pseudo.

At 3150', *dVis shows a greater basilisk I need to remember to avoid, but also
a pack of trolls. I am about to soften them with -ColdBalls, remember to
*dObj just in time, and there is !speed to avoid freezing. I get slowed from
stuff, youngblack shows up, _speed. I get !chr, !int, and !con, finally have
over 600 hp. I also get !enlight which I use immediately, revealing three
unaware rings in the distance. I have 9 items needing pseudo, but full hp and
mana, should not be resting. I think to gain *rPoison and *rAll. I head
toward furthest stuff I dropped, and a couple things pseudo. Then ?id junk in
pack as needed to pick stuff up. The first ring is in the moat of a treasure
room, and maybe I can get lucky. I *dVis, Saruman is inside, but mumaks block
the gate. I get it, =Acid, can have rBase only losing 3 con now. Then next
one is =Cold. There is a troll pit nearby, a few manage to find their way to
me, but a chaos vortex is in there too, so I am in no hurry to go. I come
upon an ancientBlack, perhaps foolishly use =Acid for double resistance and
_speed and melee. Trolls and a death quasit come while I am gathering the
loot. I fight a bunch more trolls before I reach the ring, =Elec. It appears
to be a theme. I head back through the moat of the treasure room to approach
the troll pit from direction opposite gate, have to !CCW and -TelOther when
the chaos vortex breathes, but manage to dig in and use _dispelEvil to clear
most foes. While I am picking up loot, Saruman shows, -TelOther. I get a +2
wis halberd, and I suppose it might be a possibility if it is HA, so I use one
of my precious remaining ?id on it. It is SlayUndeadX5, and probably I will
get a better undead killer before I can manage enough blows for it to be
useful. I won't waste a home slot storing it. I pick up the last gold,
Saruman returns, -TelOther again. I should probably toss my stack of ?MB5,
but I toss 2 ?recall instead for slots to take things home.

I return to town with 62723 AU, but the shield of resistance is no longer for
sale. I spend 200 on ?destTrap for awareness. If I remove good armor, go
from 40 mana to 64 mana, decide to do it. That means using =Acid rather than
=con+3. I buy 4 ?recall and a ration and 60 quarrels. I buy 99 ?id, 30
?+hit, 5 ?recharge, and 15 ?map clearing slots. I finally have enough exp,
use !exp. I also toss =FA and "rAcid whose time has surely passed, to make
room at home. I also get all 20 !CCW. I now have enough mana to make ?MB3
feasible, buy a copy. I gain *stoneToMud and *dInv. My pack is full and I
haven't started, decide have to leave !heal at home, carry all ?map, which
means I will be probably toss most of them in the dungeon.

I was still oblivious to Thorongil granting rAcid.

[Angband 3.0.9ef Character Dump]

Name Rast Self RB CB EB Best

Sex Male Age 23 STR: 18/82 +4 +2 +0 18/142
Race Half-Troll Height 106 INT: 18/97 -4 +1 +0 18/67

Class Rogue Weight 236 WIS: 12 -2 -2 +0 8

Title Sharper Status 1 Dex: 17 -4 +3 +0 16 12
HP 553/553 Maximize Y CON: 18/70 +3 +1 +5 18/160
SP 66/66 CHR: 14 -6 -1 +0 7

Level 33 Armor [19,+38] Saving Throw 54
Cur Exp 323628 Fight (+7,+10) Stealth 4
Max Exp 323628 Melee (+18,+20) Fighting 266
Adv Exp 398750 Shoot (+19,+10) Shooting 212
MaxDepth 3150 ft Blows 4/turn Disarming 95
Turns 213702 Shots 1/turn Magic Device 63
Gold 41934 Infra 30 ft Perception 29
Burden 171.1 lbs Energy 100% Searching 31

[...]

this weapon. With additional +3 str you would get 5 blows.

b) a Light Crossbow of Extra Might (x3) (+12,+10) (+1) {worm1550}
It increases your shooting power by 1.

c) a Ring of Acid [+13]
It provides resistance to acid. It activates for acid resistance
(20+d20 turns) and acid ball (70) every 50+d50 turns. It cannot be
harmed by acid.

d) a Ring of Constitution (+3)
It increases your constitution by 3. It sustains your constitution.

e) The Amulet of Carlammas (+2)
It increases your constitution by 2. It provides resistance to fire.
It activates for protection from evil every 225+d225 turns. It
cannot be harmed by the elements.

f) The Phial of Galadriel
It usually provides light of radius 3. It activates for
illumination every 10+d10 turns. It cannot be harmed by the
elements.

g) Augmented Chain Mail of Resist Lightning (-2) [16,+10]
It provides resistance to lightning. It cannot be harmed by
electricity.
h) The Cloak of Thorongil [1,+10] {worm1550}
It provides resistance to acid and fear. It usually provides light
of radius 4. It grants you immunity to paralysis and the ability to
see invisible things. It cannot be harmed by the elements.

i) a Small Leather Shield of Resist Cold [2,+5]

It provides resistance to cold. It cannot be harmed by cold.

j) an Iron Crown [0] {good}

b) a Book of Magic Spells [Incantations and Illusions] {@m3 @G3}
c) a Book of Magic Spells [Resistances of Scarabtarices] {@m5 @G5}

It cannot be harmed by the elements.

d) 21 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
e) 8 Scrolls of Teleport Level {!*}
f) 4 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
g) 30 Scrolls of Identify {@r1}
h) 5 Scrolls of Recharging
i) 31 Scrolls of Magic Mapping {@r2}
j) 3 Scrolls of *Destruction* {!*}
k) a Rod of Detection {@z9 !!}
Your success rate is 96.9%, if confused 22.2%.

It cannot be harmed by electricity.

l) a Rod of Teleport Other {@z4 !!}
Your success rate is 94.4%, if confused 3.7%.

m) 2 Rods of Light {@z3 !!}
Your success rate is 98.1%, if confused 95.2%.

n) a Rod of Cold Balls {!!}
Your success rate is 92.3%, if confused 2.8%.

o) 2 Wands of Teleport Other (11 charges) {@a4}
Your success rate is 97.6%, if confused 90.9%.

p) a Wand of Lightning Balls (12 charges)
Your success rate is 96.4%, if confused 8.3%.

q) a Wand of Fire Balls (3 charges)
Your success rate is 92.3%, if confused 2.8%.

r) a Staff of Teleportation (5 charges) {!*}
Your success rate is 97.6%, if confused 90.9%.

s) 2 Staffs of Speed (2 charges) {!*}
Your success rate is 95.6%, if confused 5.1%.

t) a Staff of Dispel Evil (3 charges)
Your success rate is 92.3%, if confused 2.8%.

u) a Staff of *Destruction* (2 charges) {!*}
Your success rate is 92.3%, if confused 2.8%.

v) 60 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0) {@f1}

[Home Inventory]

a) 5 Books of Magic Spells [Magic for Beginners] {@m1 @G1}
b) 7 Books of Magic Spells [Resistances of Scarabtarices] {@m5 @G5}

It cannot be harmed by the elements.
c) a Mushroom of Restoring

d) 4 Potions of Speed
e) a Potion of Healing
f) a Potion of *Healing* {!*}
g) 3 Potions of Restore Mana

h) 30 Scrolls of Teleport Level {!*}

i) 89 Scrolls of Identify {@r1}

j) a Scroll of *Identify*
k) a Scroll of *Remove Curse*

l) 36 Scrolls of Enchant Weapon To-Hit

m) 4 Scrolls of Enchant Weapon To-Dam

n) 3 Staffs of Teleportation (18 charges) {!*}
Your success rate is 97.6%, if confused 90.9%.

o) a Ring of See Invisible

It grants you the ability to see invisible things.

p) a Ring of Intelligence (+4)

It increases your intelligence by 4. It sustains your intelligence.

q) a Ring of Constitution (+3)

It increases your constitution by 3. It sustains your constitution.

r) a Ring of Lightning [+9]
It provides resistance to lightning. It activates for electricity
resistance (20+d20 turns) and electricity ball (85) every 50+d50 turns
d. It cannot be harmed by electricity.
s) an Amulet of Resist Lightning

It provides resistance to lightning. It cannot be harmed by
electricity.

t) Partial Plate Armour (Dwarven) [22] (+1)
It increases your strength and constitution by 1. It increases your
infravision by 1.

u) a Cloak of Protection [1]
v) a Large Metal Shield of Resist Lightning [5,+10]
It provides resistance to lightning. It cannot be harmed by
electricity.
w) a Broad Sword of Frost (2d5)
It is branded with frost. You get 2 blows per round with this
weapon.
x) a Halberd of Flame (3d5) (+10,+11)
It is branded with fire. It provides resistance to fire. It cannot
be harmed by fire. You get 1 blow per round with this weapon. With

additional +3 str you would get 2 blows.

Magnate

Jun 19, 2008, 7:48:53 AM6/19/08
"Eddie Grove" <eddie...@hotmail.com> wrote
> Trip 10:

> I was still oblivious to Thorongil granting rAcid.

I'm enjoying taking bets on how deep you were before remembering.

Thanks again for great reading. Regarding the earlier replies about editing,
I don't think it needs much editing, if any. It's written from the POV of
the player, showing the tactical and strategic thinking - it's not
attempting to be a role-play narrative from the POV of the character. I
think it does perfectly well what it sets out to do.

That said, if you do want it posted on a web site, I'm happy to do some
basic editing to tidy it up a bit and improve the flow. Of course, there is
every danger that what I perceive to be improvements will actually render it
less readable for others.

Ho hum.

CC

Eddie Grove

Jun 19, 2008, 11:24:04 AM6/19/08
"Magnate" <n...@receiving.here> writes:

> "Eddie Grove" <eddie...@hotmail.com> wrote
> > Trip 10:
> >
> > I was still oblivious to Thorongil granting rAcid.
>
> I'm enjoying taking bets on how deep you were before remembering.
>
> Thanks again for great reading. Regarding the earlier replies about editing,
> I don't think it needs much editing, if any. It's written from the POV of
> the player, showing the tactical and strategic thinking - it's not

That's my goal.

It got too hard editing down to important stuff while playing, so my notes
got more verbose and overly detailed over time.

> attempting to be a role-play narrative from the POV of the character. I
> think it does perfectly well what it sets out to do.
>
> That said, if you do want it posted on a web site, I'm happy to do some
> basic editing to tidy it up a bit and improve the flow. Of course, there is
> every danger that what I perceive to be improvements will actually render it
> less readable for others.
>
> Ho hum.

I wonder if my room terminology is understandable. 2x2 room, treasure room,
pillared rooms, possibly others. "Treasure room" is terminology I learned
back in the days of the original rogue, but while the others seem obvious to
me they might be inscrutable.

This might be a good time for people to comment on ways the writeups could be
improved.

I think there's also a piece of really important advice that I neglected
to include. STAY OUT OF DARK ROOMS. They are scary. They are deadly.
If your path takes you into one, leave at your first opportunity without
trying to fully explore it. That can be the difference between survival and
dying because you get surrounded. Of course, this becomes less relevant as
your detections and light radius improve.

Eddie

Eddie Grove

Jun 20, 2008, 5:19:39 PM6/20/08

Trip 11:

At 3150', I start with -dAll. I seem to be in a corner in the interior of a
treasure room. Waldern is inside too, no objects worth a detour, and a pack
of dreads in the distance. I take a few steps past a matureBlue to the
stairs.

At 3200', I add *dInv to *dVis among standard detections, burn through mana a
lot faster. When I get close to stairs, *dVis shows Saruman. He is such a
pain, freezes one of my !CCW before I can -TelOther. I pick up ?*REM_CURSE,
and ?destruct is nearby guarded only by orcs. I destroy a mummy for !rMana,
already need another slot. Goodbye -ColdBalls. I head over, and Ariel and
Saruman show up at the same time, so I _speed and -telOther on both, better
failure rate than -TelOther is worth burning a charge I decide.

At 3250', land amongst a pack of fire hounds. I prefer to _telSelf at this
depth only if blind/confused in an emergency. The choice is _destruct or
?telLevel. I ?telLevel, pleased it takes me down.

At 3300', I *dVis, Saruman is nearby yet again. I -dAll to find out what's
near quickly, and there is a new potion a bit past him. It may be wasteful,
but I don't want to deal with him, _destruct. I head over, *dVis shows
vibration hounds, what a pain. I come around to a side entrance, enter, use
-elecBalls until I am hurt enough for them to chase me out. Then I _speed,
melee and more -elecBalls. I finally kill most of them, get !knowledge, toss
-elecBalls. Unfortunately, now there is a nexus vortex, wonder if I should
_destruct again. It stays around a corner, and I soften it with -fireBalls
and finish it with quarrels. I go get gloves, think I have to toss -fireBalls
to pseudo, but pseudo is instantaneous. I make it to the stairs getting
stunned occasionally by chasing hounds.

At 3350', -dAll shows fire ants in my room, and a surprisingly empty 2x2
moated room beyond them, matureBlack by far the toughest. Even better, it is
not connected, so *phase [on the 4th try] gets me away from the ants for good.
On the way I pick up !str, and at the 2x2 I kill uruks for !dex. The new ring
that brought me here turns out to be =search+3. I wonder if I could have
bought one in town earlier. I also get =dex+6, have to toss something. I
change my mind and toss ?MB3 to keep -fireBalls[1].

At 3400', -dAll shows monsters all over, in particular an orc pit in one
direction and water hounds in the other. There is also a 2x2, and most
unfortunately an umberhulk between the 2x2 and the orc pit, will cause
trouble. I head straight for the umberhulk, get to it still sleeping. I
guess stealth of 4 was good enough. Then I head into the nearest chamber of
2x2, -TelOther a demon to get to !enlight. I also find
two-handed-flail{venom}, useless without the matching resist. The combination
of undeads resisting with no personal resist makes that ego basically useless.
I head to the orc pit, and only a couple got out. I don't have ?MB3, so have
to tunnel through magma to get in. The turn I get through, Saruman turns up,
again, -TelOther. It takes all 3 charges on _dispelEvil, two to get in and
one to finish them off, since I did not bother with _speed. I get my first
scythe(8d4), but it is only good. A troll shows up, I *dVis, see a drolem
nearby. That's annoying, but a solvable problem. I *rPoison [for the first
time], _speed, and go use -TelOther. One stair is guarded by Uriel and plenty
of others in another 2x2, and the others are far away, and Saruman and a
drolem are wandering about. I could just ?telLevel, but I might as well go
dump stuff at home. I ?recall, start using ?id on stuff in pack to make room
to pick up things to take home, have elvenkind armor! I squelch excellent
body armor now [robes are a separate squelch category in my patch because of
permanence ego]. I toss =rAcid to carry =int+4 home. When I need one last
slot, and the choice is tossing 2 ?MB1 or 48 boring quarrels or ?MB5, it is
obvious to toss ?MB5. I was vaguely confused at this point when I admired my
resistance chart showing rBase covered almost twice, but never made the
connection that I had been clueless about rAcid from Thorongil before.

Oops. I timed things wrong, and was a step away from =dex+6 when recall
kicked in. On the bright side, that's one less slot I need at home. :)

I return to town with 57090 AU. I ?*ID elvenkind{rBlind}. I get ?MB3, and
also ?MB2 so I can blip about town. For a change, I buy ?satiate and 2
?recall from alchemy shop to avoid general store. I buy !rExp and all !CCW on
general principles. I toss "rElec and sword{cold} to make room at home. The
final question is whether to go to the alchemy shop and buy out useless slots
to increase the likelihood of restocking ?recharge. I decide not. I also
decide to leave -dAll at home, need 2 to be worth a backpack slot.

[Angband 3.0.9ef Character Dump]

Name Rast Self RB CB EB Best

Sex Male Age 23 STR: 18/90 +4 +2 +0 18/150

Race Half-Troll Height 106 INT: 18/97 -4 +1 +0 18/67
Class Rogue Weight 236 WIS: 12 -2 -2 +0 8

Title Sharper Status 1 DEX: 18 -4 +3 +0 17
HP 652/652 Maximize Y CON: 18/70 +3 +1 +8 18/190
SP 65/66 CHR: 14 -6 -1 +0 7

Level 33 Armor [12,+25] Saving Throw 54
Cur Exp 327291 Fight (+11,+11) Stealth 6
Max Exp 329008 Melee (+22,+21) Fighting 278
Adv Exp 398750 Shoot (+23,+10) Shooting 224
MaxDepth 3400 ft Blows 4/turn Disarming 97
Turns 223714 Shots 1/turn Magic Device 63
Gold 53264 Infra 30 ft Perception 29
Burden 142.2 lbs Energy 100% Searching 31

[...]

this weapon. With additional +2 str you would get 5 blows. With
additional +2 dex you would get 5 blows.

b) a Light Crossbow of Extra Might (x3) (+12,+10) (+1) {worm1550}
It increases your shooting power by 1.

c) a Ring of Constitution (+3)

It increases your constitution by 3. It sustains your constitution.

d) a Ring of Constitution (+3)
It increases your constitution by 3. It sustains your constitution.

e) The Amulet of Carlammas (+2)
It increases your constitution by 2. It provides resistance to fire.
It activates for protection from evil every 225+d225 turns. It
cannot be harmed by the elements.
f) The Phial of Galadriel
It usually provides light of radius 3. It activates for
illumination every 10+d10 turns. It cannot be harmed by the
elements.

g) Leather Scale Mail of Elvenkind { rBlind } (-1) [11,+14] (+2 to stealth)
It increases your stealth by 2. It provides resistance to acid,
lightning, fire, cold, and blindness. It cannot be harmed by the
elements.

c) a Book of Magic Spells [Incantations and Illusions] {@m3 @G3}
d) a Book of Magic Spells [Resistances of Scarabtarices] {@m5 @G5}

It cannot be harmed by the elements.

e) 32 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
f) 2 Potions of Healing
g) 8 Scrolls of Teleport Level {!*}
h) 4 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
i) 30 Scrolls of Identify {@r1}
j) 3 Scrolls of Recharging
k) 9 Scrolls of Magic Mapping {@r2}
l) 4 Scrolls of *Destruction* {!*}
m) a Rod of Teleport Other {@z4 !!}

Your success rate is 94.4%, if confused 3.7%.

n) 2 Rods of Light {@z3 !!}

Your success rate is 98.1%, if confused 95.2%.

o) 2 Wands of Teleport Other (9 charges) {@a4}

Your success rate is 97.6%, if confused 90.9%.

p) a Wand of Fire Balls (1 charge)

Your success rate is 92.3%, if confused 2.8%.

q) a Staff of Teleportation (5 charges) {!*}

Your success rate is 97.6%, if confused 90.9%.

r) 2 Staffs of Speed (2 charges) {!*}

Your success rate is 95.6%, if confused 5.1%.

s) a Staff of Dispel Evil (4 charges)

Your success rate is 92.3%, if confused 2.8%.

t) a Staff of *Destruction* (1 charge) {!*}

Your success rate is 92.3%, if confused 2.8%.

u) 48 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0) {@f1}

b) 6 Books of Magic Spells [Resistances of Scarabtarices] {@m5 @G5}

It cannot be harmed by the elements.
c) a Mushroom of Restoring
d) 4 Potions of Speed

e) a Potion of *Healing* {!*}
f) 4 Potions of Restore Mana
g) a Potion of Restore Life Levels
h) a Potion of Self Knowledge
i) 29 Scrolls of Teleport Level {!*}
j) 76 Scrolls of Identify {@r1}
k) 2 Scrolls of *Remove Curse*

n) 19 Scrolls of Magic Mapping {@r2}
o) a Rod of Detection {@z9 !!}

Your success rate is 96.9%, if confused 22.2%.
It cannot be harmed by electricity.

p) 3 Staffs of Teleportation (18 charges) {!*}

Your success rate is 97.6%, if confused 90.9%.

q) a Ring of See Invisible

It grants you the ability to see invisible things.

r) 2 Rings of Intelligence (+4)

It increases your intelligence by 4. It sustains your intelligence.

s) a Ring of Lightning [+9]

It provides resistance to lightning. It activates for electricity
resistance (20+d20 turns) and electricity ball (85) every 50+d50 turns
d. It cannot be harmed by electricity.

t) Partial Plate Armour (Dwarven) [22] (+1)
It increases your strength and constitution by 1. It increases your
infravision by 1.
u) a Cloak of Protection [1]

v) a Small Leather Shield of Resist Cold [2,+5]

It provides resistance to cold. It cannot be harmed by cold.

w) a Large Metal Shield of Resist Lightning [5,+10]

It provides resistance to lightning. It cannot be harmed by
electricity.

x) a Halberd of Flame (3d5) (+10,+11)
It is branded with fire. It provides resistance to fire. It cannot
be harmed by fire. You get 1 blow per round with this weapon. With

additional +2 str you would get 2 blows. With additional +2 dex you

Eddie Grove

Jun 21, 2008, 2:12:11 PM6/21/08

Trip 12:

At 3400', I land in a corridor, and my large light radius means I see a likely
bend in one direction. I start with -LightBeam in the other direction before
starting my detections. I am near a treasure room with surprisingly weak
guards, but there is an ancientMulti on the screen. The brigandine armor and
=slay are not worth the risk of staying in this sector. I already need a
slot, toss ?MB2. I have to get past a matureBlack to reach the stairs, full
mana, try *rAll and fail, was worth a try. It breathes, weakens my crown,
which later pseudos as avg [good dropping to average re-pseudos in my patch].
I lose various scrolls and _dispelEvil to acid during the fight. It drops
_rCurse, which will allow me to test armor. Body armor in particular, heavy,
try it on and squelch immediately when not elvenkind or better. By the time I
reach the stairs, back to 58/66 mana, one attempt to *rAll hardly cost at all.

At 3450', I detect some trolls, but ?map shows I won't be able to reach them.
I come to a T intersection, start shooting a paladin in front of a
youngBronze, don't notice necromancer coming behind. Perhaps foolishly, I
start shooting necromancer, some *phase, eventually kill all of them plus
summoned dread plus xaren, down to 200 hp. I use my last charge of -fireBalls
and am about to toss it because ?recharge is too precious, remember I have
*recharge I can try. Despite 70% failure rate and lesser status, I succeed
without blowing it up on the first try. I get my third -LightBeam. There are
quarrels fairly close to the stairs, guarded by a HellWyrm. I *rFire and go
-TelOther. The quarrels do not merge with my boring ones, a good sign.

At 3500', land next to an ogre mage, kill for another _rCurse I do not pick
up. No point in the extra weight. That was the only monster in the first two
sectors. I see the stairs, cannot find the way, ?map says I have to go to the
bottom sector, where finally there are monsters. Hillorcs in the far corner
look tasty, but too far to go get. I can't even get through to the passage to
the stairs at the bottom, have to *stoneToMud. I run out of mana, dig through
last block of granite.

At 3550', *dVis shows a dracolisk. Lacking rNether, time to leave. I don't
bother with further detections, though I do -LightBeam the corridor ahead of
me. I find my first _power, toss avg quarrels to pick it up, will hopefully
only use good quarrels from now on. I explore a bit, cannot find my way down,
should have used _destruct on the dracolisk. I kill some orcs for
-stoneToMud, drop _rCurse to pick it up. I don't feel like a long retrace, no
way down, ?telLevel. Too bad, I go up.

At 3500', land in a corridor near a door, -LightBeam the other way, get a
black orc. There is an orc captain with escort, and I kill them for my first
?banish. Also, another cloak{rShards} and -fireBalls. When I am done, full
mana, *id a sling(x3)(+11,+16). That's comparable to my xbow(x4)(+12,+10). I
also get =dex+2, but cannot afford to remove a con ring yet. I'd like to
store sling and ?banish safely at home, and two ?recalls [town and back] will
return me a level lower, so might as well go home now. I toss another ?MB5
for room.

I return to town with 72353 AU. I am down 10K exp, figure !rExp worthwhile,
more importantly need the home slot. I burn over 1500 each on -sleep and
=sStr to learn the flavors. I buy mush{rAll}. Not much to buy. I also get
?satiate and 3 ?recall, and out of curiosity check that I could buy out
alchemy shop for about 30K. I get all ?MB1 from magic shop, was holding off
in case I needed to toss stuff at home, better to get them to restock in store
sooner rather than later. I stick with my xbow because I have good quarrels,
no good shots.

[Angband 3.0.9ef Character Dump]

Name Rast Self RB CB EB Best
Sex Male Age 23 STR: 18/90 +4 +2 +0 18/150
Race Half-Troll Height 106 INT: 18/97 -4 +1 +0 18/67
Class Rogue Weight 236 WIS: 12 -2 -2 +0 8
Title Sharper Status 1 DEX: 18 -4 +3 +0 17
HP 652/652 Maximize Y CON: 18/70 +3 +1 +8 18/190

SP 66/66 CHR: 14 -6 -1 +0 7

Level 33 Armor [12,+25] Saving Throw 54

Cur Exp 330357 Fight (+11,+11) Stealth 6
Max Exp 330357 Melee (+22,+21) Fighting 278

Adv Exp 398750 Shoot (+23,+10) Shooting 224

MaxDepth 3550 ft Blows 4/turn Disarming 97
Turns 235335 Shots 1/turn Magic Device 63
Gold 63153 Infra 30 ft Perception 29
Burden 157.6 lbs Energy 100% Searching 31

[Character Equipment]

b) 2 Books of Magic Spells [Incantations and Illusions] {@m3 @G3}
c) a Book of Magic Spells [Resistances of Scarabtarices] {@m5 @G5}

It cannot be harmed by the elements.

d) 31 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
e) 2 Potions of Healing
f) 33 Scrolls of Teleport Level {!*}
g) 5 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
h) 30 Scrolls of Identify {@r1}
i) 3 Scrolls of Recharging
j) 25 Scrolls of Magic Mapping {@r2}
k) 4 Scrolls of *Destruction* {!*}
l) a Rod of Teleport Other {@z4 !!}

Your success rate is 94.4%, if confused 3.7%.

m) 3 Rods of Light {@z3 !!}

Your success rate is 98.1%, if confused 95.2%.

n) 3 Wands of Teleport Other (20 charges) {@a4}

Your success rate is 97.6%, if confused 90.9%.

o) 2 Wands of Stone to Mud (12 charges)
Your success rate is 98.1%, if confused 95.2%.

p) 2 Wands of Fire Balls (9 charges)

Your success rate is 92.3%, if confused 2.8%.

q) a Staff of Teleportation (6 charges) {!*}

Your success rate is 97.6%, if confused 90.9%.

r) 2 Staffs of Speed (2 charges) {!*}
Your success rate is 95.6%, if confused 5.1%.

s) a Staff of Power (4 charges)

Your success rate is 92.3%, if confused 2.8%.

t) a Staff of *Destruction* (1 charge) {!*}
Your success rate is 92.3%, if confused 2.8%.

u) 19 Bolts (1d5) (+6,+8) {@f1}

[Home Inventory]

a) 27 Books of Magic Spells [Magic for Beginners] {@m1 @G1}
b) 5 Books of Magic Spells [Resistances of Scarabtarices] {@m5 @G5}

It cannot be harmed by the elements.

c) 2 Mushrooms of Restoring

d) 4 Potions of Speed
e) a Potion of *Healing* {!*}
f) 4 Potions of Restore Mana

g) 2 Potions of Self Knowledge
h) 69 Scrolls of Identify {@r1}
i) 2 Scrolls of *Remove Curse*
j) 36 Scrolls of Enchant Weapon To-Hit
k) 4 Scrolls of Enchant Weapon To-Dam
l) a Scroll of Banishment {!*}
m) a Rod of Detection {@z9 !!}

Your success rate is 96.9%, if confused 22.2%.
It cannot be harmed by electricity.

n) 2 Staffs of Teleportation (12 charges) {!*}

Your success rate is 97.6%, if confused 90.9%.

o) a Ring of See Invisible

It grants you the ability to see invisible things.

p) 2 Rings of Intelligence (+4)

It increases your intelligence by 4. It sustains your intelligence.

q) a Ring of Dexterity (+2)
It increases your dexterity by 2. It sustains your dexterity.
r) a Ring of Lightning [+9]

It provides resistance to lightning. It activates for electricity
resistance (20+d20 turns) and electricity ball (85) every 50+d50 turns
d. It cannot be harmed by electricity.

s) Partial Plate Armour (Dwarven) [22] (+1)

It increases your strength and constitution by 1. It increases your
infravision by 1.

t) a Cloak of Protection [1,+10]
It provides resistance to shards. It cannot be harmed by the
elements.
u) a Small Leather Shield of Resist Cold [2,+5]

It provides resistance to cold. It cannot be harmed by cold.

v) a Large Metal Shield of Resist Lightning [5,+10]

It provides resistance to lightning. It cannot be harmed by
electricity.

w) a Halberd of Flame (3d5) (+10,+11)

It is branded with fire. It provides resistance to fire. It cannot
be harmed by fire. You get 1 blow per round with this weapon. With
additional +2 str you would get 2 blows. With additional +2 dex you
would get 2 blows.

x) a Sling of Extra Might (x2) (+11,+16) (+1)

It increases your shooting power by 1.

Timo Pietilä

Jun 21, 2008, 3:36:12 PM6/21/08
Eddie Grove wrote:

> Sex Male Age 23 STR: 18/90 +4 +2 +0 18/150

> Level 33 Armor [12,+25] Saving Throw 54

> i) (nothing)

> j) (nothing)
> k) (nothing)
> l) (nothing)

You have very low AC for that depth. Melee would be pain. If you drop
some of your scrolls to home weight should not be an issue for you
anymore. I would fill these from shop to get slightly higher AC and
protection from acid. (Acid damage is halved if it hits armor with
positive AC value).

If you need slots cheap shop items can always be dropped.

Does your playing style really require 30+ stack of teleport level
scrolls? I would settle for 10 or 15. Also 25 magic mappings feels
overkill, OTOH I can believe that you really need that many for your
playing style.

Timo Pietilä

Eddie Grove

Jun 21, 2008, 3:23:38 PM6/21/08
Timo Pietilä <timo.p...@helsinki.fi> writes:

> Eddie Grove wrote:
>
> > Sex Male Age 23 STR: 18/90 +4 +2 +0 18/150
>
> > Level 33 Armor [12,+25] Saving Throw 54
>
> > i) (nothing)
> > j) (nothing)
> > k) (nothing)
> > l) (nothing)
>
> You have very low AC for that depth. Melee would be pain. If you drop some of

AC is meaningless. I've said this over and over, and I realize my viewpoint
is out of touch, but everything is about worst-case scenarios. Melee is never
a worst-case scenario, so I simply do not concern myself with it.

> your scrolls to home weight should not be an issue for you anymore. I would
> fill these from shop to get slightly higher AC and protection from acid. (Acid
> damage is halved if it hits armor with positive AC value).

That is meaningful, but I am not willing to wear gloves. Since I view
everything in worst-case, I cannot count on acid being halved, so the
benefit does not register on my radar.

If I am getting hit by acid, I am doing something wrong, or else I am prepared
for worst-case if I am hunting a BileWyrm or whatever.

> If you need slots cheap shop items can always be dropped.
>
> Does your playing style really require 30+ stack of teleport level scrolls? I
> would settle for 10 or 15. Also 25 magic mappings feels overkill, OTOH I can
> believe that you really need that many for your playing style.

I didn't know which slot to free at home. If I had the slots, I would only
carry 4 to 6 ?telLevel. I'd prefer to carry about 9 ?map. However, I bought
all of the ?map for sale so that the slot would be empty in the store, for
better chance of regenerating ?id or ?recharge. "Playing the slots" in stores
is necessary for diving, given the rules for store restocking.

I will toss the excess ?map when I need the slot or the weight. I will read
them more often [with significant overlap] than I would if I carried fewer.

The ?telLevel are different. I only expect to see them for sale once per
game, so I cannot just toss them.

I think the home should be of unlimited size. Here, the size clearly does
affect my game in that I carry extra weight in ?telLevel in my backpack. You
will see other tradeoffs I make due to a limited home. I still stick by my
viewpoint that the added component of such tradeoffs is not sufficiently
interesting to make up for the number of possibly useful items that are turned
into junk.

Eddie

Eddie Grove

Jun 21, 2008, 8:25:40 PM6/21/08

Trip 13:

At 3550', *dVis shows Gabriel with escort. I head down a corridor towards the
stairs, a door opens and "it summons its minions". I -TelOther down the
corridor and reach the stairs without further incident.

At 3600', I *dVis and get bounced by a nexus vortex. I destroy the vortex
with a couple of quarrels, do not get stats swapped. Akhoril is in the
sector, wonder if I could take him. That turns out to be moot, cannot reach
him. I come to a room with DracoLisk and berserker, *rFire before entering.
Then I -TelOther, unfortunately losing an ancientBlue along with them.
Nothing in sight in the next sector. Only long corridors ahead, I ?telLevel.
This time I go down.

At 3650', *dVis shows lesser titan and skull druj, need to remember to be
careful. There is gold dragonscale in the room, unlikely to be useful, but I
pick it up anyway. I pick up a halberd, slowed, toss dragonscale. I have to
go near plasma hounds, _speed and take corridors around room when I can. I
think I am free when the titan uses teleportTo to snatch me back, when I am
one step from freedom! I -TelOther, and manage to make it to the stairs.

At 3700', there is a lesser balrog in my room. That's why I have to *dVis
before *light, no point in waking it. My -TelOther recharges before it wakes,
saving me the mess of _destruct. I ?recharge _speed, but it explodes, only 1
left.

At 3750', a cyclops and Q near the stairs. I _speed before stepping into LOS,
and the Q teleports away without summoning. I ?recharge, lose the other
_speed, what a pain.

At 3800', I melee an ancientGreen, not enough mana to try *rPoison first, take
a lot of damage. Then I *rCold to shoot matureWhite. I miscalculate LOS,
open a door, greater Q summons me, -TelOther. I am making my way to a
trapdoor, *dVis shows a troll pit. One of the dragons gave me _dispelEvil,
might as well use it. I *dStairs to check for the gate, will have to take a
significant detour to come from the opposite side, but without _speed I need
to. I have to melee a nether wraith on the way, lose 1/4 of my exp. When I
see barrow wights, further exp loss makes no difference, charge! I tunnel
through the moat, but then simply cannot get in through the breach to use my
staves efficiently. I use up _dispelEvil and _power, just not effective
enough with melee without speed. I get !int, 2 !dex, and Amrod. I read my
last ?recharge on _power, and try *recharge on _dispelEvil, succeeds on 4th
attempt but explodes the staff. I need to go home for arrows, and the
question is whether to toss my light xbow(x4). It might possibly be useful,
but that is unlikely so it goes. The stairs are near, so do not go home yet.

At 3850', I !enlight [got from trolls]. At first the level appears pointless,
but there is one new ring. It may be reckless, but I _telSelf hoping to get
closer. I get closer, use -stoneToMud to shorten my route. I finally make
it, is =rPoison, can put it on and maintain 600 hp thanks to Amrod. I am
finally mostly safe from all single attacks. The stairs are 10 steps away.
It would be rude to refuse such an invitation.

At 3900', I land in a room with Lernean hydra and a skull druj, both asleep.
I -TelOther and -telOther, and continue detections. Ar-P is near the stairs,
but I make it without him waking.

At 3950', ?map just shows mostly corridors, nothing of interest, ?recall.

I return to town with 87519 AU, no !rExp for sale, should have saved my last
one I guess. I have 3 _destruct, seems excessive, toss halberd{fire} to make
room. I also toss shield{rCold}, doubtful I will use it having Amrod. I buy
?satiate and 2 ?recall and 99 arrows.

[Angband 3.0.9ef Character Dump]

Name Rast Self RB CB EB Best

Sex Male Age 23 STR: 18/90 +4 +2 +2 18/170
Race Half-Troll Height 106 INT: 18/99 -4 +1 +0 18/69

Class Rogue Weight 236 WIS: 12 -2 -2 +0 8

Title Sharper Status 1 DEX: 18/41 -4 +3 +0 18/31
HP 606/606 Maximize Y CON: 18/70 +3 +1 +7 18/180
SP 64/64 CHR: 14 -6 -1 +0 7

Level 32 Armor [12,+26] Saving Throw 53
Cur Exp 275252 Fight (+14,+13) Stealth 6
Max Exp 340705 Melee (+25,+23) Fighting 283
Adv Exp 290000 Shoot (+26,+15) Shooting 230
MaxDepth 3950 ft Blows 5/turn Disarming 98
Turns 250348 Shots 1/turn Magic Device 62
Gold 86943 Infra 30 ft Perception 29
Burden 151.5 lbs Energy 100% Searching 31

[...]

It increases your attack speed by 2. You get 5 blows per round with
this weapon. With additional +5 str you would get 6 blows. With
additional +2 dex you would get 6 blows.
b) The Short Bow of Amrod (x2) (+12,+15) (+2)
It increases your strength and constitution by 2. It increases your
shooting power by 2. It provides resistance to lightning, fire, and
cold. It speeds your regeneration. It cannot be harmed by the
elements.
c) a Ring of Resist Poison
It provides resistance to poison.

b) 3 Books of Magic Spells [Incantations and Illusions] {@m3 @G3}

c) a Book of Magic Spells [Resistances of Scarabtarices] {@m5 @G5}
It cannot be harmed by the elements.

d) 5 Potions of Speed
e) 8 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds

f) 2 Potions of Healing

g) 32 Scrolls of Teleport Level {!*}
h) 5 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
i) 30 Scrolls of Identify {@r1}
j) 15 Scrolls of Magic Mapping {@r2}

k) 4 Scrolls of *Destruction* {!*}
l) a Rod of Teleport Other {@z4 !!}

Your success rate is 94.1%, if confused 3.7%.

m) 5 Rods of Light {@z3 !!}
Your success rate is 98.0%, if confused 95.2%.

n) 3 Wands of Teleport Other (19 charges) {@a4}

Your success rate is 97.6%, if confused 90.9%.

o) 2 Wands of Stone to Mud (8 charges)
Your success rate is 98.0%, if confused 95.2%.

p) a Wand of Acid Balls (5 charges)
Your success rate is 91.6%, if confused 2.8%.

q) 2 Wands of Fire Balls (9 charges)
Your success rate is 91.6%, if confused 2.8%.

r) a Staff of Teleportation (5 charges) {!*}

Your success rate is 97.6%, if confused 90.9%.

s) a Staff of Power (3 charges)
Your success rate is 91.6%, if confused 2.8%.

t) 2 Staffs of *Destruction* (5 charges) {!*}
Your success rate is 91.6%, if confused 2.8%.

u) 99 Arrows (1d4) (+0,+0) {@f1}

[Home Inventory]

a) 27 Books of Magic Spells [Magic for Beginners] {@m1 @G1}
b) 5 Books of Magic Spells [Resistances of Scarabtarices] {@m5 @G5}
It cannot be harmed by the elements.
c) 2 Mushrooms of Restoring

d) 18 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds

e) a Potion of *Healing* {!*}

f) 5 Potions of Restore Mana
g) 3 Potions of Self Knowledge
h) 56 Scrolls of Identify {@r1}

i) 2 Scrolls of *Remove Curse*
j) 36 Scrolls of Enchant Weapon To-Hit
k) 4 Scrolls of Enchant Weapon To-Dam
l) a Scroll of Banishment {!*}
m) a Rod of Detection {@z9 !!}

Your success rate is 96.8%, if confused 22.2%.

It cannot be harmed by electricity.
n) 2 Staffs of Teleportation (12 charges) {!*}
Your success rate is 97.6%, if confused 90.9%.

o) a Staff of *Destruction* (2 charges) {!*}
Your success rate is 91.6%, if confused 2.8%.

p) a Ring of See Invisible

It grants you the ability to see invisible things.

q) 2 Rings of Intelligence (+4)

It increases your intelligence by 4. It sustains your intelligence.

r) a Ring of Dexterity (+2)

It increases your dexterity by 2. It sustains your dexterity.

s) a Ring of Constitution (+3)

It increases your constitution by 3. It sustains your constitution.

t) a Ring of Lightning [+9]

It provides resistance to lightning. It activates for electricity
resistance (20+d20 turns) and electricity ball (85) every 50+d50 turns
d. It cannot be harmed by electricity.

u) Partial Plate Armour (Dwarven) [22] (+1)

It increases your strength and constitution by 1. It increases your
infravision by 1.

v) a Cloak of Protection [1,+10]

It provides resistance to shards. It cannot be harmed by the
elements.

w) a Large Metal Shield of Resist Lightning [5,+10]

It provides resistance to lightning. It cannot be harmed by
electricity.

George Smith

Jun 21, 2008, 9:40:30 PM6/21/08
Eddie Grove wrote:
> At 3350', -dAll shows fire ants in my room, and a surprisingly empty 2x2
> moated room beyond them, matureBlack by far the toughest.

#####.#####>#############
#........................
#.#+#################+#.#
#/#..dD..U..#...ww.X..#.#
#.#.c..g...$#[.www...H#$#
2x2 = #.#####################.. ?
#.#ZZZZZZ..S#-..DW...k#.#
.@#ZZZ....m.#..j.u..p.#.#
#.#Z#################+#.#
#.Z......)......~..!.....
#######.#######.#########

Eddie Grove

Jun 22, 2008, 12:32:45 AM6/22/08
George Smith <gsm...@nospam.munged.invalid> writes:

You've got that as I meant it, except for the "suprisingly empty" part.
I no longer remember, but have a vague recollection that it might have
been as few as 6 or 8 monsters.

Eddie

Eddie Grove

Jun 22, 2008, 12:44:32 AM6/22/08
Eddie Grove <eddie...@hotmail.com> writes:

I looked up the official vault names in vault.txt, but I didn't look up the
room names. How inconsistent. I should report myself to myself.

I don't have an explanation, and it is too late now. Hopefully it isn't too
big of an annoyance.

Eddie

Eddie Grove

Jun 22, 2008, 4:20:34 PM6/22/08

Trip 14:

At 3950', *dVis shows some trolls. I don't get anything from them.

At 4000', time to take stock. Finally have reached depth for =speed. Just a
bit over 250K, good rate given no speed boost. My only serious lack is rConf.
I pick a fight with an ettin, lose half my hp, not as tough as I think I am.
I go get another _destruct, will need it, *dVis shows time hounds. They do
not come for me, disconnected. They are guarding the stairs, so I go close
and _destruct. [Seems like a bug that stairs disappear from view after
destruction.] This is why I am still wearing elvenkind armor, so not blinded.
I am getting blase about money, did not bother to get silver before
destructing. At this depth, my patch increases gold drops by 40%, and even
without selling dungeon spellbooks I still have plenty of money.

At 4050', *dVis shows a reaver to avoid, but also Orfax with escort. I go to
get him, turns out to be close, but disconnected, rooms. I start with
-stoneToMud, but go adjacent without breaking in. It may be useful to have
disconnected rooms for escapes later. I *phase in on my second try, and Orfax
blinks to the other room. Perhaps I should _power, but I melee instead,
saving it to maybe kill a Wyrm. I get !con from the escort. I *phase back to
kill Orfax, no drop, turn off "hide squelchable", still nothing! I move on,
*dVis shows an IceWyrm in the distance, time for the good stuff. I get too
excited, forget to *dInv, step next to Ji-Indur and lose more exp, not to
mention hp. I get close, disconnected, play the game again. I !speed,
*rCold, go for it, starting with -fireBalls. My first *phase takes me
uncomfortably close to a white dragon pit. I use -stoneToMud to head back
where I came from. I fail a bunch with -fireBalls, use it up, move on to
-acidBalls. Then I use up _power, and it is down to 4 stars. It gets in some
frost breaths, and I get in some !CCW when *phase takes me out of sight. I
have to *rCold again and !speed again, and when I get it down to 2 *s I finish
with melee. Thanks to DROP_GOOD, I can test armor, though not an Iron Crown.
While I am picking things up, a pack of nearby gnome mages starts waking, have
to deal with them. I get gauntlets that reduce mana, toss them. Also,
scythe{sGiant}, bah. Ji-indur returns while I am slowed, lose more exp. The
only semi-useful item was a stack of seeker bolts, but not using a xbow.

At 4100', I land one room over from a black dragon pit, luckily disconnected.
I make it to the stairs, a lizard scurrying off in front of me.

At 4150', assorted fire monsters, none too scary. Rather than fight my way
through fire ants, I go after trolls and hope to find different stairs
somewhere else. But there are nether hounds, I return and -TelOther some of
the ants and run to stairs.

At 4200', land next to Ji-Indur. I *phase before detections. There is
nothing of interest nearby, _destruct. Over time, when at full mana have
*recharged stuff, but waited on -fireBalls having two. I am carrying !rMana,
when I *recharge one of them it is time to *recharge the other before going
on, and I use !rMana for the mana to do it. I get toward end of destruction
zone, *dVis shows plasma hounds. There are also orcs, so I step back to clear
the hounds but not the orcs with _destruct. I kill them, then more novices of
various stripes, time to go home but I keep seeing novices to kill. I keep
killing, but don't get anything.

I return to town with 104083 AU. I toss shield{rElec} to make room for seeker
bolts, surely will find shield{rBase} sometime soon. There is =dam+9, maybe I
should buy it. I wonder if buy some freak chance I am squelching it unaware,
buy it. I check the lists before and after buying, was not squelching, this
is the first one of my game. I also buy -confuse for awareness. Down to 95K
AU. I get 2 ?recall and ?satiate, and all 40 ?id 15 ?map 7 ?recharge. I toss
my -stoneToMud for slots in my pack, always have the spell. I buy all 16
!CCW, then want to restock the store. The ?chant and !hero are useful and
stack, buy those, then use my patches 'K' button to pay to crush the rest. No
!rLife, play again. The second time I get one. I buy the !CCW as available.
I toss =con+3 to make room for =dam+9. Then I reconsider -- if I get
"trickery, will need =con, toss =dex instead. I also toss =SI so that I can
drop all ?destruct at home. I would rather carry them, but I need slots in my
backpack. There are 108 !hero and 79 ?chant on the ground. I will use them,
spending 2K gameturns just quaffing, before I ?recall. Some games I wouldn't
be willing to spend 2K such turns, but I am playing this game a bit
conservatively. That's also the reason for =rPoison. I should probably be
using =int+4 instead to cast *speed [assuming smart enough to save ?MB4] or
perhaps something more offensive like =dam, but I've already screwed up before
this game letting a drolem show up undetected so I am being extra-careful.

[Angband 3.0.9ef Character Dump]

Name Rast Self RB CB EB Best
Sex Male Age 23 STR: 18/90 +4 +2 +2 18/170
Race Half-Troll Height 106 INT: 18/99 -4 +1 +0 18/69
Class Rogue Weight 236 WIS: 12 -2 -2 +0 8
Title Sharper Status 1 DEX: 18/41 -4 +3 +0 18/31

HP 619/619 Maximize Y CON: 18/78 +3 +1 +7 18/188
SP 66/66 CHR: 15 -6 -1 +0 8

Level 33 Armor [17,+40] Saving Throw 54
Cur Exp 345161 Fight (+14,+13) Stealth 6
Max Exp 345161 Melee (+25,+23) Fighting 287
Adv Exp 398750 Shoot (+26,+15) Shooting 233
MaxDepth 4200 ft Blows 5/turn Disarming 99
Turns 264295 Shots 1/turn Magic Device 63
Gold 51520 Infra 30 ft Perception 29
Burden 159.2 lbs Energy 100% Searching 31

[Character Equipment]

j) a Metal Cap [3,+7]
k) (nothing)
l) a Pair of Soft Leather Boots [2,+7]

[Character Inventory]

a) 2 Books of Magic Spells [Magic for Beginners] {@m1 @G1}
b) 3 Books of Magic Spells [Incantations and Illusions] {@m3 @G3}
c) a Book of Magic Spells [Resistances of Scarabtarices] {@m5 @G5}
It cannot be harmed by the elements.

d) 3 Potions of Speed
e) 30 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds

f) 2 Potions of Healing

g) 30 Scrolls of Teleport Level {!*}

h) 5 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
i) 30 Scrolls of Identify {@r1}

j) 7 Scrolls of Recharging
k) 19 Scrolls of Magic Mapping {@r2}

l) a Rod of Teleport Other {@z4 !!}

Your success rate is 94.4%, if confused 3.7%.

m) 5 Rods of Light {@z3 !!}

Your success rate is 98.1%, if confused 95.2%.

n) 3 Wands of Teleport Other (18 charges) {@a4}

Your success rate is 97.6%, if confused 90.9%.

o) a Wand of Drain Life (5 charges)
Your success rate is 92.3%, if confused 2.8%.

p) a Wand of Acid Balls (3 charges)
Your success rate is 92.3%, if confused 2.8%.

q) 2 Wands of Fire Balls (6 charges)
Your success rate is 92.3%, if confused 2.8%.

r) a Wand of Cold Balls (8 charges)
Your success rate is 95.6%, if confused 5.1%.
It cannot be harmed by cold.
s) a Wand of Dragon's Frost (2 charges)
Your success rate is 92.3%, if confused 2.8%.

It cannot be harmed by the elements.

t) a Staff of Teleportation (6 charges) {!*}

Your success rate is 97.6%, if confused 90.9%.

u) a Staff of Power (3 charges)

Your success rate is 92.3%, if confused 2.8%.

v) 2 Staffs of *Destruction* (4 charges) {!*}
Your success rate is 92.3%, if confused 2.8%.

w) 60 Arrows (1d4) (+0,+0) {@f1}

[Home Inventory]

a) 27 Books of Magic Spells [Magic for Beginners] {@m1 @G1}
b) 5 Books of Magic Spells [Resistances of Scarabtarices] {@m5 @G5}
It cannot be harmed by the elements.
c) 2 Mushrooms of Restoring

d) 61 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds

h) 80 Scrolls of Identify {@r1}

i) 2 Scrolls of *Remove Curse*
j) 36 Scrolls of Enchant Weapon To-Hit
k) 4 Scrolls of Enchant Weapon To-Dam

l) 5 Scrolls of *Destruction* {!*}
m) a Scroll of Banishment {!*}
n) a Rod of Detection {@z9 !!}
Your success rate is 96.9%, if confused 22.2%.

It cannot be harmed by electricity.

o) a Staff of Teleportation (6 charges) {!*}

Your success rate is 97.6%, if confused 90.9%.

p) 2 Staffs of *Destruction* (3 charges) {!*}
Your success rate is 92.3%, if confused 2.8%.

q) 2 Rings of Intelligence (+4)
It increases your intelligence by 4. It sustains your intelligence.

r) a Ring of Constitution (+3)

It increases your constitution by 3. It sustains your constitution.

s) a Ring of Damage (+9)

t) a Ring of Lightning [+9]
It provides resistance to lightning. It activates for electricity
resistance (20+d20 turns) and electricity ball (85) every 50+d50 turns
d. It cannot be harmed by electricity.
u) Partial Plate Armour (Dwarven) [22] (+1)
It increases your strength and constitution by 1. It increases your
infravision by 1.
v) a Cloak of Protection [1,+10]
It provides resistance to shards. It cannot be harmed by the
elements.

w) a Sling of Extra Might (x2) (+11,+16) (+1)

It increases your shooting power by 1.

x) 30 Seeker Bolts (4d5) (+5,+7)

Eddie Grove

Jun 23, 2008, 2:10:03 PM6/23/08

Trip 15:

I start by going crazy with the !hero and ?chant I got while buying out the
temple for !rExp. With 20 ?chant to go, I ?recall, still manage to read them
all.

At 4200', I start in a room with a nightcrawler. I leave the cursor over the
W, I continue detecting, see a new wand, means I will not _destruct to get rid
of the nightcrawler. I -TelOther aiming at the cursor. I get the wand,
-dragonBreath, toss my stack of ?map. I will miss those. I *dObj -telOther
in the distance, surprisingly decide not to get it. I have plenty of charges,
feel guilty about the turns burned on !hero and ?chant. Also, there is a
balrog on the way to it. DAMNIT. As always, I check my pack before descent,
and am surprised to have a free slot. Stupid autopickup did not work. That
-dragonBreath is back across the dungeon, didn't pick it up.

At 4250', land two steps from an IceWyrm. I *rCold, *dStairs, take 3 steps
away to get !heal off the floor. A door bursts and I *dVis, light hounds in
the distance, sleeping orcs nearby. I head to the edge of the room, !speed,
and ~light starting the fun. I start with -fireBalls, then -drain, then
_power, then -acidBalls. That leave it with 4 *s, and I shoot some arrows
then melee. I lost another !speed to a breath, down to 1 now. I ?recharge,
lose one -fireBalls. I get !con, Ingwe, Barahir, and arrows{poison}. I now
have 18/200 con. I need a slot, and the question is toss ?recharge or use on
non-empty wands? I go for -fireBalls and -drain, happily neither explode. I
*dVis again, see Grip off a ways, perhaps I can avoid killing him. I go fully
across the bottom of the dungeon, seeing no way down. Perhaps I should have
used ?telLevel rather than exploring. Heading for boots, run into Uvatha. I
hate to fight him without a temp speed boost, -TelOther. I -LightBeam a grey
wraith out of existence, drops ?MB7, and I have to toss my avg arrows to pick
it up. I gain *createDoors, *telLevel, and *createStairs. It is not clear if
this is worth a slot, *recall is 3 levels away and has a ridiculous failure
rate, and at 5% fail, no spell counts as a real escape, not even *createDoors.
?MB7 will help when stairs are far far away, but is that worth a slot? I'd
rather have my arrows. I *createStairs a couple times to get stairs, toss
?MB7 to get arrows, but trolls are nearby and I will kill them before descent.
I use the arrows on energy hounds on the way to trolls, and of course there
are two stairs just into the next sector. I get an elvenkind robe off floor
in room the trolls were in, and ?destruct from a troll, time to go home. I
?recall and toss the rest to pick up _dispelEvil. I do not even get to take
the stairs. It would be nice if recall would reset at the depth where it
kicks in, not where you read it, so I could take the stairs down for a deeper
recall from town next trip.

I return to town with 54774 AU. Some people think that cursed mushrooms and
potions have utility for testing things like elvenkind, but that is not true
in practice. Slots are clearly too tight at home to have been storing cursed
consumables, even if backpack slots had been plentiful enough to carry them
home in the first place. I think the game would be better with unlimited home
space, but there are some reasonable arguments for leaving it limited. E.g.,
I toss my cloak{rShards} away, has turned into junk, interesting strategy or
TMJ? In my patch, I have changed !knowledge to *ID everything being wielded.
Playing with randarts I'd wait to use on multiple wielded items in different
slots, but in a standart game the main effect is that this way my code
auto-displays the high resist without me having to inscribe it manually. I
buy ?+dam, saving mostly in case I some day need to merge ammo. I leave !heal
at home to carry all !CCW, to save a slot both home and in pack. I also carry
both _telSelf. I would like to stop using _telSelf, but need rConf first. I
wonder if *speed is viable, but no ?MB4 for sale. It turns out I really
should have devoted a home slot to saving them. I am new to diving with
rogues, particularly half-trolls, so this game is uncharted territory for me.
I buy all 22 ?id, 23 ?+hit, 10 ?recharge. Also, 5 ?recall and 1 ?satiate. I
am slowed, toss my shield. Oops - forgot to buy boring arrows, but perhaps I
don't need them.

[Angband 3.0.9ef Character Dump]

Name Rast Self RB CB EB Best

Sex Male Age 23 STR: 18/90 +4 +2 +3 18/180
Race Half-Troll Height 106 INT: 18/99 -4 +1 +1 18/79
Class Rogue Weight 236 WIS: 12 -2 -2 +1 9
Title Sharper Status 1 Dex: 18/41 -4 +3 +1 18/41 18/21
HP 701/701 Maximize Y CON: 18/83 +3 +1 +8 18/203
SP 73/73 CHR: 15 -6 -1 +1 9

Level 33 Armor [17,+45] Saving Throw 54
Cur Exp 388541 Fight (+37,+14) Stealth 7
Max Exp 388541 Melee (+48,+24) Fighting 356
Adv Exp 398750 Shoot (+49,+15) Shooting 302
MaxDepth 4250 ft Blows 5/turn Disarming 100
Turns 274412 Shots 1/turn Magic Device 63
Gold 44677 Infra 30 ft Perception 29
Burden 153.5 lbs Energy 100% Searching 31

[...]

this weapon. With additional +4 str you would get 6 blows. With
additional +3 dex you would get 6 blows.

b) The Short Bow of Amrod (x2) (+12,+15) (+2)
It increases your strength and constitution by 2. It increases your
shooting power by 2. It provides resistance to lightning, fire, and
cold. It speeds your regeneration. It cannot be harmed by the
elements.

c) The Ring of Barahir (+1)
It increases all your stats by 1. It increases your stealth by 1.
It provides resistance to poison and dark. It cannot be harmed by

[Character Inventory]

d) a Potion of Speed

e) 27 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
f) 30 Scrolls of Teleport Level {!*}
g) 5 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
h) 35 Scrolls of Identify {@r1}
i) 10 Scrolls of Recharging
j) a Rod of Teleport Other {@z4 !!}

Your success rate is 94.4%, if confused 3.7%.

k) 5 Rods of Light {@z3 !!}

Your success rate is 98.1%, if confused 95.2%.

l) 3 Wands of Teleport Other (16 charges) {@a4}

Your success rate is 97.6%, if confused 90.9%.

m) a Wand of Drain Life (6 charges)

Your success rate is 92.3%, if confused 2.8%.

n) a Wand of Acid Balls (3 charges)

Your success rate is 92.3%, if confused 2.8%.

o) a Wand of Fire Balls (7 charges)

Your success rate is 92.3%, if confused 2.8%.

p) a Wand of Cold Balls (8 charges)

Your success rate is 95.6%, if confused 5.1%.
It cannot be harmed by cold.

q) a Wand of Dragon's Frost (2 charges)

Your success rate is 92.3%, if confused 2.8%.
It cannot be harmed by the elements.

r) 2 Staffs of Teleportation (12