What is a yeek ?

467 views
Skip to first unread message

uf...@my-deja.com

unread,
Jan 24, 2001, 9:21:59 AM1/24/01
to
I've seen hundreds of them but can't find them in any dictionary or
(other) literature....:]

What's the origin of yeek ?


Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Gwidon S. Naskrent

unread,
Jan 24, 2001, 10:43:47 AM1/24/01
to
On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 uf...@my-deja.com wrote:

> I've seen hundreds of them but can't find them in any dictionary or
> (other) literature....:]
>
> What's the origin of yeek ?

That's probably the sound they produce when you squish them :)

GSN


Dr. Andrew White

unread,
Jan 24, 2001, 1:56:11 PM1/24/01
to

Gwidon S. Naskrent <ro...@artemida.amu.edu.pl> wrote in message
news:Pine.LNX.4.31.01012...@localhost.localdomain...

It's the sound they make when they see the borg coming down the hallway.


>
> GSN
>
>


wilb...@aol.com

unread,
Jan 24, 2001, 2:28:07 PM1/24/01
to
No, no, no no! It's the way a scandinavian prounounces the synonym
for "nerd" . . .

In article <fzFb6.817$vq4....@news7.onvoy.net>,

Julian Lighton

unread,
Jan 24, 2001, 4:09:50 PM1/24/01
to
In article <94modt$39n$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, <uf...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>I've seen hundreds of them but can't find them in any dictionary or
>(other) literature....:]
>
>What's the origin of yeek ?

I suspect that the designers of Moria were looking for a monster to
put in the 'y' slot, and couldn't think of one, so they made one up.
--
Julian Lighton jl...@fragment.com
"You can't destroy everything. Where would you sit?"
-- The Tick

David J. Grabiner

unread,
Jan 24, 2001, 10:22:30 PM1/24/01
to
uf...@my-deja.com writes:

> I've seen hundreds of them but can't find them in any dictionary or
> (other) literature....:]
>
> What's the origin of yeek ?

Here is an old post on the Moria group on the origin of yeeks. Robert
Koeneke, the original author of Moria, did not actually have this or
anything else in mind, so this is the closest we have to an
authoritative answer.

From jdu...@cstrial.cs.vt.edu Wed Sep 14 13:09:26 1994
Relay-Version: VMS News - V6.0-3 14/03/90 VAX/VMS V5.5; site hulaw1.harvard.edu
Path: husc-news.harvard.edu!das-news.harvard.edu!news2.near.net!news.umass.edu!news.mtholyoke.edu!
uhog.mit.edu!news.kei.com!yeshua.marcam.com!charnel.ecst.csuchico.edu!
nic-nac.CSU.net!usc!cs.utexas.edu!convex!news.duke.edu!solaris.cc.vt.edu!server.cs.vt.edu!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.angband
Subject: Re: Different Names
Message-ID: <351q59$d...@cstrial.cs.vt.edu>
From: jdu...@cstrial.cs.vt.edu (James Dunson)
Date: 12 Sep 1994 10:55:37 -0400
Sender: jdu...@vtopus.cs.vt.edu
References: <8iOShUi00...@andrew.cmu.edu> <1994Sep5.2...@midway.uchicago.edu> <GRABINER.9...@germain.harvard.edu>
Organization: Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia
NNTP-Posting-Host: cstrial.cs.vt.edu
Lines: 37

In article <GRABINER.9...@germain.harvard.edu>,
David Grabiner <grab...@math.harvard.edu> wrote:

>I was the editor, and I didn't know what a yeek was. I still don't.
>Since I am the current maintainer of Moria, I'd like to know,
>particularly for purposes of consistency checks.

I had always assumed that the various yeeks were based loosly on
H. Beam Piper's "Fuzzies". Several of his stories were about them,
esp. _Fuzzy Sapiens_; "The Fuzzy Papers" collected that one and another
one, both ?novella length. I've got these in paperback somewhere,
but have just moved, so can't give ISBN, etc.

SPOILERS for the Fuzzy stuff FOLLOWS:

Fuzzies are upright bipedal humanoids, covered with (frequently gold
toned) fur, about knee height (maybe less, it's been several years).
They are tool-using sentients, with a default hunter-gatherer culture
and primitive religious beliefs (they've got "Ceremonional Burial",
but no further, to put it in Civilization terms), but learn *fast*.
Highly dexterous, relatively large eyes for night work, primary food is
something called a land prawn, which is pretty much what is sounds like.
Tool use developed for more effecient shell-cracking, meat picking, etc.
They have a fairly developed primitive language, but most is
in a frequency range well above human hearing (and that of their
predators); the only audible portion comes out as "Yeek". This is a
major plot point; they are not believed sentient at first, and the
evil megacorp (tm) owning the planet would loose their exclusive
licence to mine the really keen jems if there were native sentients.
So you have these things spending most of the book going "Yeek?"
"Yeek!", etc. at people, which is used as an example of them lacking
a real language, until the Space Navy people happen to have something
that could hear the real ultrasonic language around at one point.
** James **
--
jdu...@vtopus.cs.vt.edu


--
David Grabiner, grab...@math.la.asu.edu (note new address)
http://math.la.asu.edu/~grabiner
Shop at the Mobius Strip Mall: Always on the same side of the street!
Torus Coffee and Donuts, Klein Glassworks, Projective Airlines, etc.

Joseph Oberlander

unread,
Jan 25, 2001, 3:04:27 AM1/25/01
to
<snip description>

Cool. How about incorporating some of this info into their
descriptions? :)

Oh, that also means we can add a rainbow of yeeks, since
blue and brown and such exist, as well as the "real" type,
gold yeeks. (imagine mini-Wookies)

Sean Lester

unread,
Jan 25, 2001, 4:16:10 AM1/25/01
to

"Joseph Oberlander" <ober...@pacbell.net> wrote in message
news:3A6FDE0B...@pacbell.net...

Widget, cousin of Boldor. And it all ties in, because
Star Wars was just a futuristic (long time ago in a
galaxy far far away) retelling of the Lord of the Rings.

Sean


Gwidon S. Naskrent

unread,
Jan 25, 2001, 8:00:57 AM1/25/01
to
On 25 Jan 2001, Sean Lester wrote:

> Widget, cousin of Boldor. And it all ties in, because
> Star Wars was just a futuristic (long time ago in a
> galaxy far far away) retelling of the Lord of the Rings.

Three phasers for the wookie kings beneath the sky...

GSN


Grahame White

unread,
Jan 25, 2001, 3:21:46 PM1/25/01
to

"Gwidon S. Naskrent" <ro...@artemida.amu.edu.pl> wrote in message
news:Pine.LNX.4.31.01012...@localhost.localdomain
...

one red lightsabre to rule them all, one red lightsabre to find
them,
one red lightsabre to bring them all and in the darkness bind
them
in the deathstar where the shadows lie.
>
> GSN
>
>


Skylar Thompson

unread,
Jan 25, 2001, 5:40:33 PM1/25/01
to
In <94oqsq$ch3$0...@204.245.203.94>, "Sean Lester" <r...@connet80.com> writes:
>Widget, cousin of Boldor. And it all ties in, because
>Star Wars was just a futuristic (long time ago in a
>galaxy far far away) retelling of the Lord of the Rings.

Does that not mean the Emperor was the Ring? He was the only
one cast down into a pit, the effect of which produced a rather
large explosion (just like the when the Ring went into Oroduin).
Who created him then?

--Skylar Thompson (sky...@attglobal.net)

`All that is gold does not glitter/Not all who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither/Deep roots are not reached by the frost
From the ashes a fire shall be woken/A light from the shadows shall spring
Renewed shall be blade that was broken/The crownless again shall be king.'

Joseph Oberlander

unread,
Jan 26, 2001, 12:20:14 AM1/26/01
to
I know this was fun, but I was serious. The history of "Yeek"
sounds like it could be incorporated into a much fuller set
of creatures, at least equal to Orcs. We can always use more
variations of under-used creatures.

Green Yeeks and Gold Yeeks and so on. Their colors may/may not
have anything to do with their abilities(I'd think not).

Gwidon S. Naskrent

unread,
Jan 26, 2001, 4:14:30 AM1/26/01
to
On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Joseph Oberlander wrote:

> Green Yeeks and Gold Yeeks and so on. Their colors may/may not
> have anything to do with their abilities(I'd think not).

Should they have any? So far brown yeeks are just blue yeeks toughened up.

GSN


Leon Marrick

unread,
Jan 30, 2001, 1:13:57 AM1/30/01
to

(various snips throughout)


"David J. Grabiner" wrote:


> > What's the origin of yeek ?
>
> Here is an old post on the Moria group on the origin of yeeks.

> I had always assumed that the various yeeks were based loosly on


> H. Beam Piper's "Fuzzies". Several of his stories were about them,
> esp. _Fuzzy Sapiens_; "The Fuzzy Papers" collected that one and another
> one, both ?novella length. I've got these in paperback somewhere,
> but have just moved, so can't give ISBN, etc.


And make me kill *fuzzies*?! That's like killing ewoks, but worse!

I opened up DJG's post with great interest, but now I'm really sorry I
did. No way am I going to dissect H. Beam Piper's adorable little
shining-eyed critters with a Bastard Sword.

/My/ yeeks are kinda like the ones in the computer game Lemmings.
Purple and green little beasts that come in hordes, die like flies,
and come equipped with explosive charges.


Yours,
Leon Marrick

Hansjörg Malthaner

unread,
Jan 30, 2001, 3:54:33 AM1/30/01
to
Leon Marrick wrote:
>
> (various snips throughout)

[more snips]

> > Oh, that also means we can add a rainbow of yeeks, since
> > blue and brown and such exist, as well as the "real" type,
> > gold yeeks. (imagine mini-Wookies)
>
> And make me kill *fuzzies*?! That's like killing ewoks, but worse!
>
> I opened up DJG's post with great interest, but now I'm really sorry I
> did. No way am I going to dissect H. Beam Piper's adorable little
> shining-eyed critters with a Bastard Sword.
>
> /My/ yeeks are kinda like the ones in the computer game Lemmings.
> Purple and green little beasts that come in hordes, die like flies,
> and come equipped with explosive charges.

For my project, iso-angband, a graphical view for angband, I'm going to
paint yeeks. But now I'm confused ... which way should I paint them?

> Yours,
> Leon Marrick

c.u.
Hajo

PS: if you do not yet know about iso-angband take a look at
http://isoband.cjb.net

Joseph William Dixon

unread,
Jan 30, 2001, 5:26:36 AM1/30/01
to
OUR MENU
Chicken..........82
Dog..............75
Dragon.........1.15
Fuzzie...........60
Ewok.............90
Smurf............10
(per dozen)...1.00
E.T............1.00

(excerpt from the menu on the wall of the Yellow Crescent Inn, at the
Bazaar at Deva. ["Hit Or Myth", Donning/Starblaze edition, by Robert L.
Asprin].)

If it weren't for the abominations put out by Tuning and Mayhar ("Fuzzy
Bones" and "Golden Dreams: A Fuzzy Odyssey"), I'd probably be almost as
upset as Leon about killing Fuzzies. :) I have no qualms whatsoever about
killing Ewoks, however - I'm of that minority who think Lucas should've
stopped at "The Empire Strikes Back." :)

--
I'd rather clean all the bathrooms Weird
In Grand Central Station with my tongue <-> Al
Than spend one more minute with you Yankovic
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~aa343/index.html

R Dan Henry

unread,
Jan 30, 2001, 6:00:58 AM1/30/01
to
On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 06:26:36 -0400, the disembodied brain of Joseph
William Dixon <aa...@chebucto.ns.ca> transmitted thus:

> If it weren't for the abominations put out by Tuning and Mayhar ("Fuzzy
>Bones" and "Golden Dreams: A Fuzzy Odyssey"), I'd probably be almost as
>upset as Leon about killing Fuzzies. :) I have no qualms whatsoever about
>killing Ewoks, however - I'm of that minority who think Lucas should've
>stopped at "The Empire Strikes Back."

I haven't read the 'abominations', but Fuzzies in the original are
sure damned cool. Might be interesting as a player race in one of the
more wild and silly variants. As for Ewoks, one simple change to the
'Special Edition' could have redeemed them in my opinion. Instead of
the useless celebration montage, Lucas should have added a scene
showing the Ewoks cooking and eating the fallen Stormtroopers.

When is Jar Jar going to be available to kill in a variant?

--
R. Dan Henry
rdan...@earthlink.net
Trained Philosopher: Will Think For Food

James WWW Wilson

unread,
Jan 30, 2001, 6:06:52 PM1/30/01
to
R Dan Henry <rdan...@earthlink.net> said:
>When is Jar Jar going to be available to kill in a variant?
>
He (c/sh)ould replace Maggot.
--
James
"Step into my shadow..." - Slayer & Atari Teenage Riot

Greg Wooledge

unread,
Feb 3, 2001, 1:30:55 PM2/3/01
to
R Dan Henry (rdan...@earthlink.net) wrote:

>As for Ewoks, one simple change to the
>'Special Edition' could have redeemed them in my opinion. Instead of
>the useless celebration montage, Lucas should have added a scene
>showing the Ewoks cooking and eating the fallen Stormtroopers.

In their white plastic armor? Hmm... kinda like lobsters.

--
*** Please note new address. --> | Greg Wooledge
| gr...@wooledge.org
"Truth belongs to everybody." | http://wooledge.org/~greg/
Red Hot Chili Peppers | old page: http://www.kellnet.com/wooledge/

Richard

unread,
Feb 4, 2001, 6:07:14 AM2/4/01
to
On Thu, 25 Jan 2001 03:22:30 GMT, grab...@math.la.asu.edu (David J.
Grabiner) wrote:


>SPOILERS for the Fuzzy stuff FOLLOWS:
>
>
> Fuzzies are upright bipedal humanoids, covered with (frequently gold
>toned) fur, about knee height (maybe less, it's been several years).
>They are tool-using sentients, with a default hunter-gatherer culture
>and primitive religious beliefs (they've got "Ceremonional Burial",
>but no further, to put it in Civilization terms), but learn *fast*.
>Highly dexterous, relatively large eyes for night work, primary food is
>something called a land prawn, which is pretty much what is sounds like.
>Tool use developed for more effecient shell-cracking, meat picking, etc.
> They have a fairly developed primitive language, but most is
>in a frequency range well above human hearing (and that of their
>predators); the only audible portion comes out as "Yeek". This is a
>major plot point; they are not believed sentient at first, and the
>evil megacorp (tm) owning the planet would loose their exclusive
>licence to mine the really keen jems if there were native sentients.
> So you have these things spending most of the book going "Yeek?"
>"Yeek!", etc. at people, which is used as an example of them lacking
>a real language, until the Space Navy people happen to have something
>that could hear the real ultrasonic language around at one point.
>** James **
>--
>jdu...@vtopus.cs.vt.edu

That's a fair summarization when reading the 3 Fuzzy Books by H. Beam
Piper. I haven't read the Tuning or Mayhar books but I gather from
popular consensus that they don't add much to the series. I'll still
have to find a old used copy ot two somewhere. Anyways the reason I
responded to this is that I remember vaguely reading either a book on
H. Beam Piper or a forward in one of his collection of stories
(Federation? Empire?) that the Fuzzies were not supposed to be
indigenous to Zarathustra (the planet they were found on). The Fuzzy
population were supposed to have descended from a spaceship of theirs
that crashed on Zarathustra before Humanity colonized it. Has anyone
else come across this? If so, then that makes the rest of the Fuzzy
race a spacefaring one...

Richard


Take away NOSPAM for correct email address...

Joseph Oberlander

unread,
Feb 4, 2001, 11:31:28 AM2/4/01
to
> The Fuzzy
> population were supposed to have descended from a spaceship of theirs
> that crashed on Zarathustra before Humanity colonized it. Has anyone
> else come across this? If so, then that makes the rest of the Fuzzy
> race a spacefaring one...

Yeeks in Space!

;)

R Dan Henry

unread,
Feb 4, 2001, 12:19:44 PM2/4/01
to
On 3 Feb 2001 18:30:55 GMT, the disembodied brain of gr...@wooledge.org
(Greg Wooledge) transmitted thus:

>R Dan Henry (rdan...@earthlink.net) wrote:
>
>>As for Ewoks, one simple change to the
>>'Special Edition' could have redeemed them in my opinion. Instead of
>>the useless celebration montage, Lucas should have added a scene
>>showing the Ewoks cooking and eating the fallen Stormtroopers.
>
>In their white plastic armor? Hmm... kinda like lobsters.

Well, they cook faster in the shell. But they taste better if you take
off the uniform first. I have to call it a uniform, armor protects the
wearer.

g) On body: Imperial Stormtrooper Armour [-10, -5]

Still, it's slightly better than an original Star Trek red shirt.
Those Aggravate as well.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages