the p_hist file

Emmet Jao

Dec 15, 2005, 4:47:08 PM12/15/05
Can someone tell me the format of the p_hist.txt file? I know that it starts
with the index and the next entry, but what are the last two numbers in the
N: row?

Hugo Kornelis

Dec 18, 2005, 7:11:36 PM12/18/05

Hi Emmet,

The third value is the probability and the fourth value is the modifier
to social status (plus 50, for easy encoding of negative modifiers).

As an example, let's look at the first two chart entries for elves. The
first entry is number 5:

N:5:6:60:50
D:You are one of several children
N:5:6:100:55
D:You are the only child

A random number between 1 and 100 is generated. If it's 60 or less, then
"You are one of several children", and the social class is unchanged,
since (50 - 50) = 0. If the number was from 61 to 100, then "You are the
only child" and your social class increases by 5 points (55 - 50).

Next entry, in both cases (yes, you could use different branches, though
thiss facility is unused in the current h_info.txt), is entry 6:

N:6:9:40:40
D:of an Avarin
N:6:9:70:50
D:of a Nandorin
N:6:9:100:60
D:of a Sindarin

Again, a random number from 1 to 100 is chosen. If it's up to 40, you
are "of an Avarin" and lose 10 points social status (40 - 50 = -10); 41
through 70 makes you "of a Nandorin" and leaves social status unchanged
and 71 or more makes you "of a Sindarin" and social status increases by
10 points.

Best, Hugo
--
Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
There is a puff of smoke!

(Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)