Tile Graphics vs ASCII?

TheBiscuit05

Oct 22, 2003, 4:37:14 PM10/22/03
Do most of you use the graphic tiles these days, or do you play in some form of
ASCII mode?

Personally, I use a hybrid form, with my own .prf file, which uses tile graphics
for the dungeon walls, etc, but which uses ASCII text for monsters and most
other stuff. I just can't seem to recognise monsters when they're represented
by tiles.

My apologies if this topic comes up just too often, but while I'm an Angband
player of a couple of years standing, I've only just recently started to read
this group.
--
---------------------------------------
The Biscuit

Jason

Oct 22, 2003, 5:36:49 PM10/22/03
I use old tiles for DOS Angband, and new tiles for Windows ToME.

"TheBiscuit05" <TheBis...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

Maciej Hrynczyszyn

Oct 22, 2003, 9:02:55 PM10/22/03
On 22 paź 2003, TheBiscuit05 [TheBis...@btinternet.com] wrote:

> Do most of you use the graphic tiles these days, or do you play in
> some form of ASCII mode?

ASCII.

M,

--
Maciej Hrynczyszyn Nada.
One hand is tied, one step gets behind. In one breath we're dying.

Shadow Wolf

Oct 22, 2003, 8:08:09 PM10/22/03

> Do most of you use the graphic tiles these days, or do you play in
> some form of ASCII mode?
>
> Personally, I use a hybrid form, with my own .prf file, which uses
> tile graphics for the dungeon walls, etc, but which uses ASCII text
> for monsters and most other stuff. I just can't seem to recognise
> monsters when they're represented by tiles.
>
> My apologies if this topic comes up just too often, but while I'm an
> Angband player of a couple of years standing, I've only just recently
> started to read this group.

ASCII.

--
Shadow Wolf
shadow_wolf1 at hotpop dot com

William Peterson

Oct 22, 2003, 9:44:53 PM10/22/03
TheBiscuit05 <TheBis...@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:<bn6ppq$quo$1...@news.vol.cz>...
> Do most of you use the graphic tiles these days, or do you play in some form of
> ASCII mode?
>
> Personally, I use a hybrid form, with my own .prf file, which uses tile graphics
> for the dungeon walls, etc, but which uses ASCII text for monsters and most
> other stuff. I just can't seem to recognise monsters when they're represented
> by tiles.
>
> My apologies if this topic comes up just too often, but while I'm an Angband
> player of a couple of years standing, I've only just recently started to read
> this group.

What size is your monitor, what resolution do you run, and how do you
organize your windows? I ask because I started playing AngbandTk,
where I could resize the main window to take up 2/3 or more of the
screen. I believe at the time I had a 21" monitor at 1280x1024. My
point is that the Gervais tiles were quite distinguishable at that
size. I'm thinking that you might prefer the ASCII characters if
you're using less screen space for the main window.

After Tim Baker vanished and AngbandTk wasn't maintained I did try to
play with the ASCII characters, and I, like you had trouble
recognising monsters. An umber hill orc looks very close to a yellow
Grishnakh if you're not paying close attention.

Now that bigtile mode and the Gervais tiles are available I can play
3.0, but only with a 10x20 or 12x24 font. The tiles aren't very
distinguishable for me at any smaller size.

Bill

R Dan Henry

Oct 23, 2003, 1:41:17 AM10/23/03
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 20:37:14 +0000 (UTC), in a fit of madness
TheBiscuit05 <TheBis...@btinternet.com> declared:

>Do most of you use the graphic tiles these days, or do you play in some form of
>ASCII mode?

ASCII.

High-ASCII "solid block" walls instead of #, if that's the default, but
I don't actually mind # walls.

--
R. Dan Henry, Emperor of the Universe
Is an enthusiastic Fire Hound a hot dog with relish?

TheBiscuit05

Oct 23, 2003, 9:39:33 AM10/23/03
> What size is your monitor, what resolution do you run, and how do you
> organize your windows? I ask because I started playing AngbandTk,
> where I could resize the main window to take up 2/3 or more of the
> screen. I believe at the time I had a 21" monitor at 1280x1024. My
> point is that the Gervais tiles were quite distinguishable at that
> size. I'm thinking that you might prefer the ASCII characters if
> you're using less screen space for the main window.

I play with a (good) 17" CRT at 1024x768 for ASCII or when I do
try the tiles I use the DVG tiles at 1280x1024, which as you might
imagine, would ideally require a new monitor.
It's right there on my shopping list. I'm tempted to go for an LCD, but
have irrational doubts about them

> After Tim Baker vanished and AngbandTk wasn't maintained I did try to
> play with the ASCII characters, and I, like you had trouble
> recognising monsters. An umber hill orc looks very close to a yellow
> Grishnakh if you're not paying close attention.

I may have spoken imprecisely. It is the tile graphics that I have
trouble with. Being a dino who still remembers computers without
hard drives, and screens with laughable graphic capabilities I am
far more comfortable most of the time using ASCII. I like the way
that GFX look with Angband, but I can't tell the tiles apart at a
glance.

Sometimes, however, I do think, "It's a little weird, a grown man
being involved in a pitched battle with coloured letters of the
alphabet" :-)
But then I just lie down until the feeling wears off...

Andrew Doull

Oct 23, 2003, 10:17:37 AM10/23/03
On 2003-10-23 03:44:53, wpete...@socal.rr.com (William Peterson) wrote:

> TheBiscuit05 wrote in message news:...

> Now that bigtile mode and the Gervais tiles are available I can play
> 3.0, but only with a 10x20 or 12x24 font. The tiles aren't very
> distinguishable for me at any smaller size.
>
> Bill

You should always change the appropriate lines in the Angband.ini file to read
the following:

TileWid=16
TileHgt=32

This makes the tiles *a lot* better looking with David Gervais's graphics.

I'm assuming, of course, you're playing with big tile mode.

Andrew

Werner Baer

Oct 23, 2003, 12:24:07 PM10/23/03

"TheBiscuit05" <TheBis...@btinternet.com> wrote ...

> Do most of you use the graphic tiles these days, or do you play in some form of
> ASCII mode?

ASCII only.

Werner.

Timo Pietilä

Oct 23, 2003, 12:43:54 PM10/23/03

R Dan Henry wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 20:37:14 +0000 (UTC), in a fit of madness
> TheBiscuit05 <TheBis...@btinternet.com> declared:
>
>>Do most of you use the graphic tiles these days, or do you play in some form of
>>ASCII mode?
>
> ASCII.
>
> High-ASCII "solid block" walls instead of #, if that's the default, but
> I don't actually mind # walls.

Same here.

Timo Pietilä

--
A(2.9.3) DI(>) "Wanderer" DP L:43 DL:2200' A+ R+ Sp+ w:Ulmo/BoChaos
A(2.9.3) Comp "Ufthak" hoRa L:50 DL:4250' A++ R+ S++ w:LBowEM(15,17)(1)

Emma Vartdal

Oct 23, 2003, 12:51:14 PM10/23/03
TheBiscuit05 wrote:

>>What size is your monitor, what resolution do you run, and how do you
>>organize your windows? I ask because I started playing AngbandTk,
>>where I could resize the main window to take up 2/3 or more of the
>>screen. I believe at the time I had a 21" monitor at 1280x1024. My
>>point is that the Gervais tiles were quite distinguishable at that
>>size. I'm thinking that you might prefer the ASCII characters if
>>you're using less screen space for the main window.
>>

> I play with a (good) 17" CRT at 1024x768 for ASCII or when I do
> try the tiles I use the DVG tiles at 1280x1024, which as you might
> imagine, would ideally require a new monitor.
> It's right there on my shopping list. I'm tempted to go for an LCD, but
> have irrational doubts about them

Buying an LCD to play angband.. Now there's a concept! ;)

<snip>

--
emma

TheBiscuit05

Oct 23, 2003, 1:15:09 PM10/23/03
On 2003-10-23 18:51:14, Emma Vartdal <seere...@amy.shacknet.nu> wrote:

> TheBiscuit05 wrote:

<SNIP>

> > I play with a (good) 17" CRT at 1024x768 for ASCII or when I do
> > try the tiles I use the DVG tiles at 1280x1024, which as you might
> > imagine, would ideally require a new monitor.
> > It's right there on my shopping list. I'm tempted to go for an LCD, but
> > have irrational doubts about them
>
> Buying an LCD to play angband.. Now there's a concept! ;)

Correction: To play Angband, and to hack around with the source code of same.
This is also important. :-)
I generally hack around with the code at least as often as I play... Sometimes
more.

-- Soluzar

Martin Bazley

Oct 23, 2003, 10:13:49 AM10/23/03
Thrice the brinded cat hath mewed, and TheBiscuit05 did decree on 22 Oct 2003...

> Do most of you use the graphic tiles these days, or do you play in some form of
> ASCII mode?
>
> Personally, I use a hybrid form, with my own .prf file, which uses tile graphics
> for the dungeon walls, etc, but which uses ASCII text for monsters and most
> other stuff. I just can't seem to recognise monsters when they're represented
> by tiles.

Welcome to the club! :->

I, also, use this sort (supplied with most RISC OS ports :-> )
--
- Martin Bazley - "The only good zombie is a dead zombie" /
mar...@bazley.freeuk.com _____________________________/_

Jeff Greene

Oct 23, 2003, 3:51:26 PM10/23/03

> Do most of you use the graphic tiles these days, or do you play in some
form of
> ASCII mode?
>
> Personally, I use a hybrid form, with my own .prf file, which uses tile
graphics
> for the dungeon walls, etc, but which uses ASCII text for monsters and
most
> other stuff. I just can't seem to recognise monsters when they're
represented
> by tiles.
>
> My apologies if this topic comes up just too often, but while I'm an
Angband
> player of a couple of years standing, I've only just recently started to
read
> this group.
> --

ASCII, no sound, and only that one window open. I have never really played
around with the visibility functions at all. I started with Umoria, and
never really bothered to learn to use all the visual and audio options.

But, a couple questions:

In trying to use a couple of the fonts and graphics sets, I can use Adam
Bolt's tiles, or the old tiles. But in testing David Gervaics' tiles I get
an error box saying "cannot read bitmap file 32x32.bmp, and then it switches
to bigtile mode. Also, what can the term-one through seven windows be used
for? Is that were people use an alternate display to show inventory and
monster descriptions and stuff like that?

My operating system is Windows ME (condolences accepted).

-Jeff

TheBiscuit05

Oct 23, 2003, 4:13:07 PM10/23/03
On 2003-10-23 21:51:26, "Jeff Greene" <nppan...@spam.spam.spam.spam,> wrote:

*SNIP*

> But, a couple questions:
>
> In trying to use a couple of the fonts and graphics sets, I can use Adam
> Bolt's tiles, or the old tiles. But in testing David Gervaics' tiles I get
> an error box saying "cannot read bitmap file 32x32.bmp, and then it switches
> to bigtile mode. Also, what can the term-one through seven windows be used
> for? Is that were people use an alternate display to show inventory and
> monster descriptions and stuff like that?

I use my extra windows for inventory/equipment and monster memory.
Just the two.
In re: your other problem, one thing I can think of is to make sure you have the
right version of the DVG tileset. The earlier release is known to cause issues
with some versions of windows, due to bugs/features in windows beyond the scope
of this thread. The newer ones work for me if I choose to run in GFX mode.
AFAIK they're on Thangorodrim.

> My operating system is Windows ME (condolences accepted).

You do indeed have my condolences. ME was Microsofts only truly unusable OS. The
others are flawed but in no way as badly as ME.

Hugo Kornelis

Oct 23, 2003, 5:23:13 PM10/23/03
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 20:37:14 +0000 (UTC), TheBiscuit05 wielded his
Keyboard of Typing to write:

>Do most of you use the graphic tiles these days, or do you play in some form of
>ASCII mode?
>
>Personally, I use a hybrid form, with my own .prf file, which uses tile graphics
>for the dungeon walls, etc, but which uses ASCII text for monsters and most
>other stuff. I just can't seem to recognise monsters when they're represented
>by tiles.
>
>My apologies if this topic comes up just too often, but while I'm an Angband
>player of a couple of years standing, I've only just recently started to read
>this group.

ASCII.

I did try graphic tiles (not David Gervais - they don't work and I
chose not to spend time fixing it) out of curiosity, but found ASCII
to be more informative.

Best, Hugo
--
Remove "NOS" and "PAM" to send mail

Hugo Kornelis

Oct 23, 2003, 5:23:15 PM10/23/03
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 15:06:22 GMT, Xiong Changnian wielded his Keyboard
of Typing to write:

>I have also changed Filthy Street Urchins to a bright yellow "u". Guess
>why.

I give up. Why?

(Or is it something American)

Hugo Kornelis

Oct 23, 2003, 5:23:16 PM10/23/03
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 15:51:26 -0400, "Jeff Greene"
<nppan...@spam.spam.spam.spam,> wielded his Keyboard of Typing to
write:

<snip>
>But, a couple questions:
<snip>

>Also, what can the term-one through seven windows be used
>for? Is that were people use an alternate display to show inventory and
>monster descriptions and stuff like that?

Yes. When in town, I always use the following settings:

TERM-1: Inven - Shows my inventory
TERM-2: Player (basic) - Player info (same as command C)
TERM-3: Equip - Shows wielded equipment
TERM-7: Monster recall - Small window with monster recall - nice to
see how many Filthy Street Urchins I've already disposed of but not
really relevant in town.

I've arranged the windows to have all these windows (or at least the
relevant parts) visible at the same time. This permits me to quickly
see all I need when sifting through my equipment, home stocks and shop
offers when in town. I would like to see the Player (extra) window at
the same time as well (this shows the same as C h does), but I have no
free space left on my screen.

When in the dungeon, I maximize the main screen to see as much of the
dungeon as possible. Having the monster recall window open would be of
great help, but I value the big window even more.

Reverend Vertigo

Oct 23, 2003, 6:22:48 PM10/23/03
TheBiscuit05 wrote:

> Do most of you use the graphic tiles these days, or do you play in some form of
> ASCII mode?
>
> Personally, I use a hybrid form, with my own .prf file, which uses tile graphics
> for the dungeon walls, etc, but which uses ASCII text for monsters and most
> other stuff. I just can't seem to recognise monsters when they're represented
> by tiles.
>
> My apologies if this topic comes up just too often, but while I'm an Angband
> player of a couple of years standing, I've only just recently started to read
> this group.

ASCII
A good 17" monitor at 1152x864
Term-1 thru term-5 used to display:
- messages
- inventory
- equipment
- monster recall
- overhead map

I use term-5 for the visible monster list instead of the overhead map in
variants which support it (Z). I usually delete the sounds and the tilesets.

--
Dean for America
http://www.deanforamerica.com

AC

Oct 24, 2003, 5:03:30 AM10/24/03
Timo Pietilä <timo.p...@helsinki.fi> wrote in message news:<bn90gc$hsj$1...@oravannahka.helsinki.fi>...

> R Dan Henry wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 20:37:14 +0000 (UTC), in a fit of madness
> > TheBiscuit05 <TheBis...@btinternet.com> declared:
> >
> >>Do most of you use the graphic tiles these days, or do you play in some form of
> >>ASCII mode?
> >
> > ASCII.
> >
> > High-ASCII "solid block" walls instead of #, if that's the default, but
> > I don't actually mind # walls.
>
> Same here.

And here.

--
h121

Janne.Kes...@eiroskaa.tut.fi.invalid

Oct 24, 2003, 7:31:47 AM10/24/03
Befuddled he stood and said:"Did TheBiscuit05 actually write this?"
> Do most of you use the graphic tiles these days, or do you play in some form
> of ASCII mode?

Adam Bolt tiles with current Z windows ports, since light/view radius
doesn't work with ASCII.

I like David Gervais's tiles very much and I used them back in the day
when Tk - variants were still alive. I still use them when I play Vanilla.
The problem with Vanilla is that 32x32 tiles take up a lot of screen - I
can't fit all the term windows I would like to to the screen. I didn't
seem to have this problem with Tk - variants...

Steam I play only with ASCII - being that it is the only option for them
:-)

--
*************************** Janne Keskinarkaus *****************************
************* E-mail: cr...@spambegone.proffa.cc.tut.fi.invalid *************

Matthias Kurzke

Oct 24, 2003, 7:42:48 AM10/24/03
Janne.Kes...@eiroskaa.tut.fi.invalid wrote:
> Befuddled he stood and said:"Did TheBiscuit05 actually write this?"
>
>>Do most of you use the graphic tiles these days, or do you play in some form
>>of ASCII mode?

ASCII of course, but I admit having played with graphics for some years
at the beginning.

> I like David Gervais's tiles very much and I used them back in the day
> when Tk - variants were still alive. I still use them when I play Vanilla.
> The problem with Vanilla is that 32x32 tiles take up a lot of screen - I
> can't fit all the term windows I would like to to the screen. I didn't
> seem to have this problem with Tk - variants...

That is because the TK variants have proper smallscreen support, which
the standard ports are lacking.

Matthias

topazg

Oct 24, 2003, 8:26:35 AM10/24/03
On 2003-10-24 11:03:30, h1...@iname.com (AC) wrote:

> Timo Pietilä wrote in message news:...

> > R Dan Henry wrote:
> >
> > > On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 20:37:14 +0000 (UTC), in a fit of madness

> > > TheBiscuit05 declared:

> > > ASCII.
> > >
> > > High-ASCII "solid block" walls instead of #, if that's the default, but
> > > I don't actually mind # walls.
> >
> > Same here.
>
> And here.

And here.

--
Take Care,
Topaz

NPP(0.2.0) C "Levalmath" DuPa L:18 DL:600' A R !Sp w:Scimitar of Flame
A/NPP(Tome/Z/S) W H- D/D+ C--/C- f- PV+ s- TT? d P++ M+
C-- S- I- So B++ ac GB- SQ+ RQ++ V+ (Better Monster AI)

Jonathan Ellis

Oct 24, 2003, 9:09:54 AM10/24/03

"topazg" <gra...@blessyou.co.uk> wrote in message

> On 2003-10-24 11:03:30, h1...@iname.com (AC) wrote:
>
> > Timo Pietilä wrote in message news:...

> > > Same here.
> >
> > And here.
> >
> And here.

ASCII here for me, again with "block" walls (thanks to the pref
files).

Jonathan.

DarkGod

Oct 24, 2003, 9:22:30 AM10/24/03
The Fri, 24 Oct 2003 14:09:54 +0100, after eating far too many mushrooms

of confusion Jonathan Ellis wrote:

>> And here.
>
> ASCII here for me, again with "block" walls (thanks to the pref
> files).

ASCII, # walls all the way!

--
DarkGod comes from | Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards
the hells for YOU ! :) | because they are subtle and quick to anger.

Steve Kroon

Oct 24, 2003, 9:31:44 AM10/24/03
And here.

--
TheKro

#r.g.r.a.
A(3.0.3) +(Interrupt, holding down ^C instead of ^V) "TheKro" HEM
L:50 DL:3400' A+ R++ Sp+/Sp W:Gurthang

A(3.0.3/2.9.3) L H- D/D- c f- PV/PV- s- TT? d++/d p M+

c-/c-- S+/S++ I+/I So B+/B ac- !GHB SQ? !RQ V?
F:Rod/Artifact Charging Summary on Main Screen

Pedro Gómez-Esteban

Oct 24, 2003, 10:04:12 AM10/24/03
TheBiscuit05 wrote:
> Do most of you use the graphic tiles these days, or do you play in some form of
> ASCII mode?
>
> Personally, I use a hybrid form, with my own .prf file, which uses tile graphics
> for the dungeon walls, etc, but which uses ASCII text for monsters and most
> other stuff. I just can't seem to recognise monsters when they're represented
> by tiles.
>
> My apologies if this topic comes up just too often, but while I'm an Angband
> player of a couple of years standing, I've only just recently started to read
> this group.

Well, even though I do play with ASCII, I didn't at first. The first few
months I played with Adam Bolt's tiles, and even now I think graphic
tiles are a -great- help in bringing new players into the game. It's
easier to adapt to from the games most of us are used to.

Pedro

Mars

Oct 24, 2003, 10:03:36 AM10/24/03
On 2003-10-22 22:37:14, TheBiscuit05 <TheBis...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Do most of you use the graphic tiles these days, or do you play in some form of
> ASCII mode?
>
> Personally, I use a hybrid form, with my own .prf file, which uses tile graphics
> for the dungeon walls, etc, but which uses ASCII text for monsters and most
> other stuff. I just can't seem to recognise monsters when they're represented
> by tiles.
>
> My apologies if this topic comes up just too often, but while I'm an Angband
> player of a couple of years standing, I've only just recently started to read
> this group.

> --
> ---------------------------------------
> The Biscuit
I'm using Adam Bolt's tiles. Works fine for me, and it's just the way i have
been playing it from the start. I think that contributes to the choice of
ascii/tiles a lot, and that i probably would have used ascii if i had started
out with it in the first place.

I have tried switching to ascii once, but i quit it after a while because it
cost me too much thinking what character was what again; well actually it
wasn't the characters which are quite easy to remember, but the different
colors. Just too lazy i guess ;).

---
Of course there is no formula for success except perhaps an unconditional
acceptance of the RNG and what it brings.

Toshi1873

Oct 24, 2003, 10:59:52 AM10/24/03
I use the 32x32 tile set with Vanilla 3.03.

(and if I ever get time, I'm going to go hack the thing to add the
missing mosters and give Mithril Arrows a good icon instead of a black
square)

JAVE

Oct 24, 2003, 12:03:11 PM10/24/03
Pedro Gómez-Esteban wrote:

> TheBiscuit05 wrote:
>
>> Do most of you use the graphic tiles these days, or do you play in
>> some form of
>> ASCII mode?
>> Personally, I use a hybrid form, with my own .prf file, which uses
>> tile graphics
>> for the dungeon walls, etc, but which uses ASCII text for monsters and
>> most
>> other stuff. I just can't seem to recognise monsters when they're
>> represented
>> by tiles.
>>

> Well, even though I do play with ASCII, I didn't at first. The first few
> months I played with Adam Bolt's tiles, and even now I think graphic
> tiles are a -great- help in bringing new players into the game. It's
> easier to adapt to from the games most of us are used to.

I started playing Angband with dos tiles, which was a little more
catching than getting killed by plain letters. I've tried graphics, but
I always came back to ASCII (just plain letters these days).

The reasons for preferring ASCII: the difference between "what's this
little greenish blob supposed to be?" and "Argh! run away for the
<easily recognized letter>"

Oh, and half decent tiles took up way too much space as compared to
ASCII characters.

JAVE
(Who is back on playing *Band, and reading the r.g.r.a after an extended
hiatus)

PS: What was the last version of Zangband where we had just one town,
and one wasn't forced to risk a L3 mindcrafter's life crossing
wilderness in search for a decently stocked town?

Juergen Frieling

Oct 24, 2003, 12:19:35 PM10/24/03
Hallo JAVE

> PS: What was the last version of Zangband where we had just one town,
> and one wasn't forced to risk a L3 mindcrafter's life crossing
> wilderness in search for a decently stocked town?

In 2.4.0 this is an option. Even if you don't switch it on the wilderness
is nicer IMO. AFAIR after this the fixed quests/towns went away (and also
the 'Vanilla'-town option).
If you don't like O-combat 2.2.8 would be for you, I think.

Juergen

JAVE

Oct 24, 2003, 12:30:11 PM10/24/03
Juergen Frieling wrote:

Ok, thanks. I tried a 2.4.x version with the option of one town ('old
days' option or something like that?) But that just left you with one
town that had all buildings, but they stocked almost nothing (at least
nothing I could use.)

Oh well, first I need to catch up with all new variants, and regain some
basic skills by playing V, before I dare enter the insane asylum that is
Zangband :-)

JAVE

Juergen Frieling

Oct 24, 2003, 12:56:46 PM10/24/03
Hallo JAVE

> Ok, thanks. I tried a 2.4.x version with the option of one town ('old
> days' option or something like that?) But that just left you with one
> town that had all buildings, but they stocked almost nothing (at least
> nothing I could use.)

Hmm, can't find it just now but 'old days' is something like a 'Moria-
mode' I think.

You want another option:
_While character generation_ you can press '=' and choose 'vanilla' town
(normal buildings, no quests) or 'lite' town (+ weaponmaster etc. + just
enough 'green' to have the magic towers + quests)

I don't know if these work well, since in 240 wilderness is no problem
after cLev 10. If you stay on the roads the worst monster you usually meet
are ravens or so.

Juergen

Ian Parkhouse

Oct 24, 2003, 3:44:19 PM10/24/03
Steve Kroon wrote:
> AC wrote:
>> Timo Pietilä <timo.p...@helsinki.fi> wrote in message

>>> Same here.
>>

>> And here.
>>
> And here.

Not here. When I play (which isn't verry often lately) I use ASCII with #
walls - I can't stand the solid block walls.

--
Ian Parkhouse

"Money, power, sex ... and elephants."

Marisa Lohr

Oct 24, 2003, 6:14:57 PM10/24/03
In article <bn6ppq$quo$1...@news.vol.cz>, TheBiscuit05

<TheBis...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>Do most of you use the graphic tiles these days, or do you play in
>some form of ASCII mode?

I've played with ASCII characters on a single screen for years. I
used to play nethack in monochrome on ailing green terminals (and
ascended twice that way). I've tried using multiple angband windows
in X but it distresses me (no personal capacity for multitasking,
alas. Even listening to music at the same time puts me off).

JAVE

Oct 24, 2003, 8:15:50 PM10/24/03
Juergen Frieling wrote:

>>Ok, thanks. I tried a 2.4.x version with the option of one town ('old
>>days' option or something like that?) But that just left you with one
>>town that had all buildings, but they stocked almost nothing (at least
>>nothing I could use.)

> You want another option:

> _While character generation_ you can press '=' and choose 'vanilla' town
> (normal buildings, no quests) or 'lite' town (+ weaponmaster etc. + just
> enough 'green' to have the magic towers + quests)

Yeah, I meant that 'vanilla' town. The stocks in that town were abysmal.
So I was basically iron manning it (or more precisely doing a suicide dive)

> I don't know if these work well, since in 240 wilderness is no problem
> after cLev 10. If you stay on the roads the worst monster you usually meet
> are ravens or so.

I suppose you never tried a mindcrafter mindflayer? they are such
softies, they need nurturing long after clev 10 :-)

But my main gripe is that it is extremely boring. there are all these
fancy shops, which are useless to low levels, and the towns that have a
decent collection of 'normal' shops don't have a staircase.

If I want to do something dull, I'll go watch porridge set.

JAVE

(Currently trying to keep a Vanilla Elven mage alive)

Manwe

Oct 25, 2003, 1:22:42 AM10/25/03
On 2003-10-24 21:44:19, "Ian Parkhouse" <ianpar...@supanet.com> wrote:

> Steve Kroon wrote:
> > AC wrote:

> >> Timo Pietil䠠wrote in message

> >> And here.
> >>
> > And here.
>
> Not here. When I play (which isn't verry often lately) I use ASCII with #
> walls - I can't stand the solid block walls.

ASCIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!

Victor

> --
> Ian Parkhouse
>
> "Money, power, sex ... and elephants."

--
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

VALIS

Oct 25, 2003, 5:13:59 AM10/25/03
On 2003-10-25 07:22:42, Manwe <kingvic...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 2003-10-24 21:44:19, "Ian Parkhouse" wrote:
>
> > Steve Kroon wrote:

> > > And here.
> >
> > Not here. When I play (which isn't verry often lately) I use ASCII with #
> > walls - I can't stand the solid block walls.
>
> ASCIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!
>
> Victor

And here. I don't use block walls because apparently the mac doesn't get them.
Never quite figured that out.

And I promise I'll start working on steam as soon as I conquer China.
--
-Campbell

- Join the steamband group by sending an email to
steamband...@Yahoogroups.com !
- Visit the Steamband web page, and follow the progress of Steam! (and view my
art!) http://angband.oook.cz/steamband/

Juergen Frieling

Oct 25, 2003, 10:02:01 AM10/25/03
Hallo JAVE

> I suppose you never tried a mindcrafter mindflayer? they are such
> softies, they need nurturing long after clev 10 :-)

It's even quicker to commit suicide just after character generation :-)

> But my main gripe is that it is extremely boring. there are all these
> fancy shops, which are useless to low levels, and the towns that have
> a decent collection of 'normal' shops don't have a staircase.

In 240 the shops aren't different from vanilla (only some more like 'inner
temple' etc.). And all 4 cities I spend most my time in have stairs.

Juergen

Fangz

Oct 25, 2003, 10:08:23 AM10/25/03
On 2003-10-22 22:37:14, TheBiscuit05 <TheBis...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Do most of you use the graphic tiles these days, or do you play in some form of
> ASCII mode?

I use Adam Bolt's tiles on big tile mode, mostly....

<Insert indignation here>

Why? Because particularly in the more recent variants, tiles are essential in
differentiating between monsters - you can easily tell the difference between
an AMHD and another ancient dragon without having to rely on the shimmer.
Layering tiles also work a treat as it lets you see terrain features under
monsters and item stacks.

Reverend Vertigo

Oct 27, 2003, 10:43:04 AM10/27/03
VALIS wrote:
> And here. I don't use block walls because apparently the mac doesn't get them.
> Never quite figured that out.
>
> And I promise I'll start working on steam as soon as I conquer China.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms?

Reverend Vertigo

Oct 27, 2003, 10:45:54 AM10/27/03

And it was UPHILL BOTH WAYS in NECK DEEP SNOW and we LIKED IT THAT WAY!

R Dan Henry

Oct 27, 2003, 4:14:38 PM10/27/03
On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:43:04 GMT, in a fit of madness Reverend Vertigo
<ver...@nospam.invalid> declared:

>VALIS wrote:
>> And here. I don't use block walls because apparently the mac doesn't get them.
>> Never quite figured that out.
>>
>> And I promise I'll start working on steam as soon as I conquer China.
>
>Romance of the Three Kingdoms?

Doing the dishes?

--
R. Dan Henry, Emperor of the Universe
Is an enthusiastic Fire Hound a hot dog with relish?

Reverend Vertigo

Oct 27, 2003, 5:25:06 PM10/27/03
R Dan Henry wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:43:04 GMT, in a fit of madness Reverend Vertigo
> <ver...@nospam.invalid> declared:
>

>>VALIS wrote:
>>
>>>And here. I don't use block walls because apparently the mac doesn't get them.
>>>Never quite figured that out.
>>>
>>>And I promise I'll start working on steam as soon as I conquer China.
>>
>>Romance of the Three Kingdoms?
>

> Doing the dishes?

Speaking literally?

Rafael Rodriguez

Oct 28, 2003, 12:47:48 AM10/28/03
Graphics, can't live without at least simple tiles, but too much can
definitely be a bad thing. Tried the Nethack versions where you can
choose to see the guy walking through a maze, and hated it. Prefer
the Adam Bolt tiles in Vanilla, and now the ZAngbandTKK style for
2.4.0. Anyone else like any graphical versions i haven't mentioned?

VALIS

Oct 29, 2003, 12:32:00 AM10/29/03
On 2003-10-27 23:25:06, Reverend Vertigo <ver...@spam.invalid> wrote:

> R Dan Henry wrote:
> > On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:43:04 GMT, in a fit of madness Reverend Vertigo

> > declared:

> >>Romance of the Three Kingdoms?
> >

> > Doing the dishes?
>
> Speaking literally?

Hahahahaha. No, Romance of the Three Kingdoms VIII. It's quite engrossing. That
and Disgaea have been eating my time. I think I've got it mostly worked out of
my system and am getting back to work on Steam.

Reverend Vertigo

Oct 29, 2003, 10:42:56 AM10/29/03
VALIS wrote:
> On 2003-10-27 23:25:06, Reverend Vertigo <ver...@spam.invalid> wrote:
>

>>R Dan Henry wrote:
>>
>>>On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:43:04 GMT, in a fit of madness Reverend Vertigo
>>> declared:

>>>Doing the dishes?
>>
>>Speaking literally?
>

> Hahahahaha. No, Romance of the Three Kingdoms VIII. It's quite engrossing. That
> and Disgaea have been eating my time. I think I've got it mostly worked out of
> my system and am getting back to work on Steam.

Thought so. I found myself horribly addicted to whatever the last RotTK was
that came out for PS2. They're fun games. I remember getting hooked on the
8-bit Nintendo console port of the first one way back when.