Tales of the Bold [V3.0.4]

Eddie Grove

Mar 29, 2004, 1:40:47 PM3/29/04

Some time back, David Grabiner posted the Arch-mage's Tale. I intend
to do something similar, but yet quite different. I find the usual
advice in this group to be ridiculously conservative. This is my
attempt to give a flavor of what it is like to play agressively.

My tales will come from an actual game, or more likely games :). I
will stick to the highlights, and ignore the basic stuff. When
feasible I will write in the role-playing style, but I am describing a
game and some things don't translate out of game terms and I won't try
to do so.

Each post will essentially summarise one trip down and [hopefully]
back, ending with a dump after selling everything and prepping for the
next trip. If enough people complain via email, I will make fewer
posts with more tales and less dumps.

In the tales, I will use abbreviations without explanation. For
example, ?dObj is either a scroll of detect object or the action of
reading such a scroll. I might write "Gorlim gets too close and I
?phase." I refuse to call staves of perception as such, and will
write "I _id the potion." The one difficulty is that both wands and
rods are '-', so I use single "-" for rods and double "--" for wands.
So I can ?recharge a --tOther, but not a -tOther [those are teleport
other, hopefully everything will be clear in context].

The monster AI is on, except double spell-casting is off. Stairs are
disconnected, so I won't be tempted to play optimally with repeated
"<>" ad infinitum. Autoscum on, dungeon alignment off.

In addition, I have certain idiosyncracies. I consider the existence
of LOS-abuse, hack-and-back, pillardancing, and the like to be bugs in
the code. I refuse to take advantage of such bugs. E.g., I only
spell/shoot Q's and druj's if they have reverse LOS. I plan to write
a patch/variant where diggers are not allowed, so I only dig/stone2mud
for the purpose of getting from point A to point B, as in entering a
vault. In particular, I no longer make Anti-Summoning-Corridors.

Here's to hoping fortune favors the bold.

Eddie

Eddie Grove

Mar 29, 2004, 2:10:58 PM3/29/04

STARTING OUT

I start with a point-based Dunadan Warrior with base 16 Str/Dex/Con.
I sell the starting sword and !berserk to buy ?recall, which is nicely
on sale. I also purchase !hero, !CSW, a lantern, 2 ?phase, and 2 ?id.

I explore each level, ignoring sleeping monsters and killing those
that come after me, until I find the way down to the next level. My
first serious fight is against lice in a corridor with some jogs. I
am down from 64 to 33 before I kill them all. I go on, not bothering
to rest. I ?id a ring, =sDig. On the first trip, ?id is precious,
and I only use one on a ring or amulet. I quaff potions and eat
mushrooms when not at full hitpoints to test them out.

On dLevel 6, when I step onto the stairs I see a lit room, and I take
a few steps to check it out before descent. This is the first time I
have stepped past any downstairs. I go grab a potion and smallsword,
and then snagas attack. There is little point in fighting them, so I
run back to the stairs taking a few hits on the way. Fights are to be
avoided when possible.

I should mention that when possible I explore top to bottom rather
than left to right, which is more efficient because you take fewer
steps. I never bother with Search mode, it slows you down and lets
monsters catch up with you. Traps are not that big a deal early on.

On 7, I notice a whip I picked up somewhere is excellent, so I switch
to it and throw away my dagger. There is no point in identifying it,
?id is too precious, as I mentioned before. On 8, I kill an
orcShaman, and it drops or was sitting on mithrilPlate! I kill Fang
on 9. On 10, I notice that the mithrilPlate is average and I wield
it. I test a potion that turns out to be weakness, drop to 3 blows
and am slowed. I will have to start dropping average weapons to keep
my weight down.

I fight through some hillOrcs to face Grishnakh on 11, and he is doing
more damage to me than I to him. I ?phase and !hero and wish I had a
missile weapon. I kill Grishnakh, but will I survive the remaining
escort so that I can go pick up the drop? I do, and am slowed by all
I carry. I need to find the stairs so I can test out my staves. If
you stand on the stairs, even a staff of summoning isn't too deadly to
test, since you can escape in one turn. One tested staff is _dObj,
and it shows me a new ring. That is worth a time-wasting detour
before going down. I get it, and then drop to 12, where _dObj shows
nothing, so I ?recall to sell the heavy valuables.

I sell the wimpy rings, =sDig and =FF, and an average battleaxe to buy
_id. I _id everything not average except _dObj, and also _id the
mithrilPlate. Then I sell most stuff, including --sleep, --slow,
--confuse, and the now-empty _id. The market has !int for 75% off,
which is a great bargain, but while I could afford it intelligence
isn't so important, and I choose to get _tSelf instead. It is vital
to have a means of escape, and teleport self is the best choice
available. I do buy the 7 !dInv at the market. Hopefully that will
suffice until I get a permanent source of SI. I buy a !CCW so I will
know it when I see it in the dungeon. It is useful to buy new items
from the shops so you recognize them without need id in the dungeon.

I have 5794 gold when I enter the alchemy shop. I buy out ?dObj,
?recharge, ?+hit, ?phase, and a !rStr to get my 4th blow back. I will
always buy out those scrolls. Unfortunately my remaining 3430 is not
enough to buy out ?recall and ?id. I decide to spend half on each. I
leave =rFire and "rElec at home. I need money badly, so I keep every
open slot I can, and resistances are not yet important. I also will
only take down one ?recall so that when I read it to return I will
have another free slot for a valuable. I save the ?+hit for later. I
will surely replace the whip before long.

48201 game turns spent.

[Angband 3.0.4 Character Dump]

Name Araguince Self RB CB EB Best
Sex Male Age 68 STR: 16 +1 +5 +0 18/40
Race Dunadan Height 76 INT: 10 +2 -2 +0 10
Class Warrior Weight 167 WIS: 10 +2 -2 +2 12
Title Swordsman Status 44 Dex: 16 +2 +2 +0 18/20 18/10
HP 156/156 Maximize Y CON: 16 +3 +2 +0 18/30
SP 0/0 Preserve Y CHR: 10 +2 -1 +0 11

Level 12 Armor [42,+10] Saving Throw Very Good
Cur Exp 1286 Fight (+1,+3) Stealth Fair
Max Exp 1286 Melee (+6,+10) Fighting Superb
Adv Exp 1530 Shoot (+1,+0) Shooting Superb
MaxDepth Lev 12 Blows 4/turn Disarming Good
Gold 23 Shots 0/turn Magic Device Good
Perception Poor
Burden 88.0 lbs Infra 0 ft Searching Poor

You are one of several children of a Townsman. You are a credit to
the family. You have dark brown eyes, wavy black hair, and a fair
complexion.

abcdefghijkl@ abcdefghijkl@
Acid:............. Blind:.............
Elec:............. Confu:.............
Fire:............. Sound:.............
Cold:............. Shard:.............
Pois:............. Nexus:.............
Fear:............. Nethr:.............
Lite:............. Chaos:.............
Dark:............. Disen:.............

abcdefghijkl@ abcdefghijkl@
S.Dig:............. Stea.:.............
Feath:............. Sear.:.............
PLite:............. Infra:.............
Regen:............. Tunn.:.............
Telep:............. Speed:.............
Invis:............. Blows:.............
FrAct:............. Shots:.............
HLife:............. Might:.............

[Character Equipment]

a) a Whip (Blessed) (1d3) (+5,+7) (+2)
It increases your wisdom by 2. It is blessed by the gods. It might
have hidden powers.
b) (nothing)
c) (nothing)
d) (nothing)
e) (nothing)
f) a Brass Lantern (with 2766 turns of light)
It cannot be harmed by fire.
g) Mithril Plate Mail (-3) [35,+0]
It cannot be harmed by acid.
h) (nothing)
i) a Small Leather Shield [2,+2]
j) a Hard Leather Cap [2,+5]
k) (nothing)
l) a Pair of Hard Leather Boots [3,+1]

[Character Inventory]

a) a Ration of Food
b) a Flask of oil
c) 3 Potions of Detect Invisible
d) 2 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds
e) 14 Scrolls of Phase Door
f) 3 Scrolls of Phase Door {10% off}
g) 2 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
h) 29 Scrolls of Identify {@r1}
i) a Rod of Trap Location {@z1}
j) a Staff of Teleportation (8 charges) {!* 8}
k) a Staff of Object Location

[Home Inventory]

a) 4 Potions of Detect Invisible
b) a Potion of Cure Critical Wounds
c) 7 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
d) 4 Scrolls of Enchant Weapon To-Hit
e) 4 Scrolls of Recharging
f) 8 Scrolls of Object Detection
g) a Ring of Resist Fire
It provides resistance to fire. It cannot be harmed by fire.
h) an Amulet of Resist Lightning
It provides resistance to lightning. It cannot be harmed by
electricity.

[Options]

Adult: Allow purchase of stats using points : yes (adult_point_based)
Adult: Allow specification of minimal stats : no (adult_auto_roller)
Adult: Maximize effect of race/class bonuses : yes (adult_maximize)
Adult: Preserve artifacts when leaving level : yes (adult_preserve)
Adult: Restrict the use of stairs/recall : no (adult_ironman)
Adult: Restrict the use of stores/home : no (adult_no_stores)
Adult: Restrict creation of artifacts : no (adult_no_artifacts)
Adult: Randomize some of the artifacts (beta): no (adult_rand_artifacts)
Adult: Don't stack objects on the floor : no (adult_no_stacking)
Score: Peek into object creation : no (score_peek)
Score: Peek into monster creation : no (score_hear)
Score: Peek into dungeon creation : no (score_room)
Score: Peek into something else : no (score_xtra)
Score: Know complete monster info : no (score_know)
Score: Allow player to avoid death : no (score_live)

Paul Moore

Mar 29, 2004, 3:04:44 PM3/29/04
Eddie Grove <eddie...@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com> writes:

> Some time back, David Grabiner posted the Arch-mage's Tale. I intend
> to do something similar, but yet quite different. I find the usual
> advice in this group to be ridiculously conservative. This is my
> attempt to give a flavor of what it is like to play agressively.

Cool! Can you archive these somewhere? I'd hate to miss some. My play
style is far too conservative, and I'd love to see "how the other half
live".

Paul.

Rubinstein

Mar 29, 2004, 3:02:03 PM3/29/04
Eddie Grove wrote:

> On 10, I notice that the mithrilPlate is average and I wield it...

> I _id everything not average except _dObj, and also _id the
> mithrilPlate.

Just curious: Why, when you already know it's average?
Btw, thanks in advance for your tales, I'm sure I'll enjoy them very much!

Rubinstein

Eddie Grove

Mar 29, 2004, 3:19:35 PM3/29/04
Rubinstein <picom...@t-online.de> writes:

> Eddie Grove wrote:
>
> > On 10, I notice that the mithrilPlate is average and I wield it...
> > I _id everything not average except _dObj, and also _id the
> > mithrilPlate.
>
> Just curious: Why, when you already know it's average?

So that you keep track of enchant/disenchant/acid. Ok, acid doesn't
count on mithril, but you get the point. I planned on keeping it, so
eventually I would care. It is low priority, but maybe worth doing.
Since I had _id[1] that I wanted to sell at the time, it was clear.

Eddie

Neodymium

Mar 29, 2004, 3:20:13 PM3/29/04
In 2101, war was beginning and we got signal. In
rec.games.roguelike.angband, Eddie Grove <eddie...@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com>
set up us this post:

> In addition, I have certain idiosyncracies. I consider the existence
> of LOS-abuse, hack-and-back, pillardancing, and the like to be bugs in
> the code. I refuse to take advantage of such bugs. E.g., I only
> spell/shoot Q's and druj's if they have reverse LOS. I plan to write
> a patch/variant where diggers are not allowed, so I only dig/stone2mud
> for the purpose of getting from point A to point B, as in entering a
> vault. In particular, I no longer make Anti-Summoning-Corridors.
>
> Here's to hoping fortune favors the bold.

Your fights with summoning uniques are going to get very messy. Planning
on a lot of teleportation, or even *destruction* usage?

You'll have to run away and flee levels a lot. If you can win I'll be
*very* impressed. If you do it with preserve off you deserve a trophy.

This one, to be precise:

{}
/ \
/| |\
(_| EG |_)
\ /
)(
_|__|_
_|_for__|_
_|excellence|_
__|_and_using_the|__
|_angband_wizard_mode|
;)

Palladium? key escrow? DRM? FBI? Microsoft? Sauron.

Neodymium

Mar 29, 2004, 3:25:29 PM3/29/04
In 2101, war was beginning and we got signal. In
rec.games.roguelike.angband, Paul Moore <pf_m...@yahoo.co.uk> set up us
this post:

> Eddie Grove <eddie...@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com> writes:

As I don't see "X-No-Archive: Yes" in his headers anywhere, Google will
archive them.

Neodymium

Mar 29, 2004, 3:25:51 PM3/29/04
In 2101, war was beginning and we got signal. In
rec.games.roguelike.angband, Rubinstein <picom...@t-online.de> set up us
this post:

> Eddie Grove wrote:

>> On 10, I notice that the mithrilPlate is average and I wield it...
>> I _id everything not average except _dObj, and also _id the
>> mithrilPlate.
>
> Just curious: Why, when you already know it's average?

Probably so the AC and other displays accurately reflect what he's got.

Rubinstein

Mar 29, 2004, 3:31:06 PM3/29/04
Eddie Grove wrote:

> Rubinstein <picom...@t-online.de> writes:
>
>> Eddie Grove wrote:
>>

>> > [_iding a mithrilPlate]

>> Just curious: Why, when you already know it's average?
>
> So that you keep track of enchant/disenchant/acid. Ok, acid doesn't
> count on mithril, but you get the point. I planned on keeping it, so
> eventually I would care.

Ah, yes, got the point. It seems you don't care much about the (-3)
penalty if you actually planned on keeping it. Interesting...

Rubinstein

Ceilti OCahill

Mar 29, 2004, 4:09:57 PM3/29/04
Eddie,

I'm glad you're doing this. I really enjoyed the other's that were posted.

I find them in general to be interesting, and in a lot cases informative.

I really enjoy reading them. Thanks in advance.

Ceilti

The only truth is the stars in the heavens, and all that lies beneath is
interpretation.

William Peterson

Mar 29, 2004, 10:20:18 PM3/29/04
Good show - I'll be the first to continue the thread. I've wanted more
info about your style ever since the competition. Was almost ready to
email, but I think this topic will answer most of my questions.

Why Dunaden rather than High Elf? HE saves you the hassle of not
having SI for just a small hit in CON.

What if you start a character and stores don't stock things like
lanterns or cheap weapons or ID? Reroll or tough it out? I ran into
the problem while trying ironman priests and not having second
spellbook available.

I thought I'd read one of your earlier posts advocating autoscum off.
Seems like it would be easier to dive through boring levels. Is it on
for toughness or some other reason? I assume you're using it as a
birth option and won't turn it off further down in the dungeon.

You know you can stop stair scumming the same way you stopped LOS
abuse - just say no. Are you not concerned about losing a developed
character to some RNG madness like a room full of balrogs at the foot
of the stairs? You could play that up staircases are only to be used
for escape and you must immediately go back down. I believe Ingband
was made to support that idea, you could take an up staircase but
there wasn't anything on the level.

I notice you're IDing everything when you get to town and find enough
scrolls. One of the techniques I used in ironman and continue when
playing warriors is to ID only excellent or special items, or good if
I'm in town and want to sell it. You can always replace average items
with good and good with excellent in the dungeon, and diving fast I
find it doesn't take long before I'm crushing most average and good
items. If I notice that something has been damaged, or even not, I'll
replace something good with another good find and rely on the RNG to
assure that, on average, I'm increasing my AC.

Looking forward to further posts.

Bill

Eddie Grove

Mar 29, 2004, 11:06:52 PM3/29/04

PAN AND SCAN

I return to the dungeon, and now pay careful attention to the map
sector from 'L'. When both coords are even, I -dTraps and _dObj. It
is often necessary to scroll the screen using 'L' to get the detection
done as soon as possible. Simply put, you want to make as efficient
use of detection as possible.

Always look for the way down, but be willing to make detours to pick
up new flavors of objects. It not worth going far out of the way to
pick up weapons or armor, unless there is a weapon with extra dice.

Something invisible keeps stealing a few gold and blipping off,
presumably Smeagol, not worth using !dInv. I have only 7 potions to
use until I get SI, however deep that may be, so I hoard them. I
continue to test items by using them, and on 13 ?tSelf means I have to
find downstairs a second time. I decide this marks the end of the
"test to id" phase. I don't want to waste any more useful items.
There is only one bad rod in Vanilla, -polymorph, so it is pretty safe
to zap unknown rods to test them out. I will use id on any other
unknown flavors.

15 is a destructed level, and in my annoyance I get careless and
forget to -dTraps. A trap weakens me, and I am down to 3 blows again.
I kill a bunch of kobolds, not bothering to !CSW even when confused.
They are for curing confusion, but only when it matters. Sure enough
Mughash shows up eventually, but he drops nothing of note. Later on
15, I kill a yeek and "it summons animals". I _tSelf, and end up back
in the destructed zone. What a pain. But now I have _dStairs, so I
find a way down easily. I try to disarm a summoning rune on 16, fail,
and it hardly seems fair to get oodles of energyHounds in addition to
other nasties. The second try to _tSelf saves the day, but I am
significantly down on hitpoints. Even so, I do not bother to waste
time resting.

Something invisible slows me on 17, but I can get to the stairs, so I
do not have to bother with !dInv. By the time I find the stairs from
18 to 19, I have almost recovered from the lightning breaths on 16. I
find Holhenneth on the ground on 21! I put it on and ?recall.
Perhaps now is a good time to hope FA is for sale in town.

No FA for sale. The cheap !int is still for sale at 6800, and I have
7650, but there is a resistanceShield for sale for 17K that tempts me
momentarily. I forgo hopes for both, choosing instead to get
heavyXbow+7+4 for about 5K from the market. Then, I bump into Maggot
and he gives me a lance worth 700. I buy !bold, ?rCurse, and ?bless
from the temple since I have never seen them up close. I really want
!hero, but none is for sale.

In the early parts of the game, except of course for lucky finds like
Holhenneth, the main import is identifying flavors and buying the
right stuff in town. The things that typify my style are that I dive
rather than fighting, and I don't rest unless it seems absolutely
necessary. If it is an easy fight, it's not worth mentioning, and
hard fights are to be avoided. That's why there is so little mention
here of combat.

I am getting deep, so I wield my items with elemental resists.
Still at 3 blows, no FA. I will have to be careful.

86452 game turns.

[Angband 3.0.4 Character Dump]

Name Araguince Self RB CB EB Best

Sex Male Age 68 Str: 16 +1 +5 +0 18/40 18/30
Race Dunadan Height 76 INT: 10 +2 -2 +2 12
Class Warrior Weight 167 WIS: 10 +2 -2 +4 14
Title Swashbuckler Status 44 Dex: 16 +2 +2 +0 18/20 18/10
HP 243/243 Maximize Y CON: 16 +3 +2 +0 18/30

SP 0/0 Preserve Y CHR: 10 +2 -1 +0 11

Level 18 Armor [48,+17] Saving Throw Excellent
Cur Exp 5442 Fight (+1,+3) Stealth Fair
Max Exp 5442 Melee (+6,+10) Fighting Heroic
Adv Exp 6480 Shoot (+8,+4) Shooting Heroic
MaxDepth Lev 21 Blows 3/turn Disarming Very Good
Gold 2540 Shots 1/turn Magic Device Very Good
Perception Fair
Burden 121.1 lbs Infra 0 ft Searching Fair

[...]

b) a Heavy Crossbow (x4) (+7,+4)
c) (nothing)
d) a Ring of Resist Fire

It provides resistance to fire. It cannot be harmed by fire.

e) an Amulet of Resist Lightning

It provides resistance to lightning. It cannot be harmed by
electricity.

f) a Brass Lantern (with 8090 turns of light)

It cannot be harmed by fire.

g) Mithril Plate Mail (-3) [35,+1]

It cannot be harmed by acid.

h) a Cloak [1,+0]

i) a Small Leather Shield [2,+2]

j) The Iron Helm 'Holhenneth' [5,+10] (+2)
It increases your intelligence and wisdom by 2. It increases your
searching by 2. It cannot be harmed by the elements. It might have
hidden powers.
k) a Set of Gauntlets [2,+0]
l) a Pair of Hard Leather Boots [3,+2]

[Character Inventory]

a) a Potion of Boldness
b) 4 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds
c) 8 Scrolls of Phase Door {10% off}
d) 3 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
e) 10 Scrolls of Identify
f) 10 Scrolls of Object Detection
g) a Scroll of Blessing
h) a Rod of Trap Location {@z1}
i) a Staff of Teleportation (6 charges) {!* 6}
j) a Staff of Perception (5 charges)
k) a Staff of Light (9 charges)
l) 27 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0) {@f1 =g}

[Home Inventory]

a) 7 Potions of Detect Invisible
b) 3 Potions of Resist Heat {40% off}
c) 3 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
d) 11 Scrolls of Phase Door
e) 7 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
f) 4 Scrolls of Enchant Weapon To-Hit
g) 4 Scrolls of Recharging
h) 40 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0) {@f1 =g}

Eddie Grove

Mar 29, 2004, 11:38:41 PM3/29/04
wpete...@socal.rr.com (William Peterson) writes:

> Why Dunaden rather than High Elf? HE saves you the hassle of not
> having SI for just a small hit in CON.

It's all about CON. Given the choice of rLight versus sCon, sCon
wins too. To repeat, CON CON CON CON CON.

Also, you can start with 4 blows point-based with Str16/Dex16 base.
With a High Elf, I think you have to start unbalanced to get 4 blows.

> What if you start a character and stores don't stock things like
> lanterns or cheap weapons or ID? Reroll or tough it out? I ran into
> the problem while trying ironman priests and not having second
> spellbook available.

I do insist on 1 ?recall, or I quit. Otherwise, I tough it out, but
that just means a fairly quick death most of the time. Death isn't
that big a deal to me. There is usually a lesson to be learned, and
those who die often should improve faster than those who think they
can avoid risk.

> I thought I'd read one of your earlier posts advocating autoscum off.
> Seems like it would be easier to dive through boring levels. Is it on
> for toughness or some other reason? I assume you're using it as a
> birth option and won't turn it off further down in the dungeon.

Everyone else seems to use autoscum on, so I am going with the crowd.
I haven't made up my mind if it makes the game easier for a diver.
The real reason is that I didn't bother to change the settings [except
for no randarts] from my savefile I used for comp 16.

> You know you can stop stair scumming the same way you stopped LOS
> abuse - just say no. Are you not concerned about losing a developed
> character to some RNG madness like a room full of balrogs at the foot
> of the stairs?

Connected stairs make no sense on so many levels that IMO the only
reason to use them is if you plan to abuse them. If I actually choose
to enable them, I cannot pretend they are a bug and ignore them.

I also believe in the existence of insta-death on level-change. It
gives an incentive minimize level-changes, which means faster diving.
That's a good thing IMO.

> I notice you're IDing everything when you get to town and find enough

I think you are missing a subtlety. There is a difference between
charges in an _id you plan to carry and one you plan not to carry. If
you are choosing between good armors, you need to have identified
both. So "excess" id in town should sometimes be used on good items.

Eddie

Neodymium

Mar 30, 2004, 1:34:04 AM3/30/04
In 2101, war was beginning and we got signal. In
rec.games.roguelike.angband, Eddie Grove <eddie...@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com>
set up us this post:

> Connected stairs make no sense on so many levels that IMO the only

> reason to use them is if you plan to abuse them. If I actually choose
> to enable them, I cannot pretend they are a bug and ignore them.

They make no sense?

If I went down the stairs in my house and found myself in the middle of the
basement with the stairs back up on the other side of the place, I'd think
*that* made no sense.

Martin Read

Mar 30, 2004, 2:14:52 AM3/30/04
Neodymium <neo_...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>In 2101, war was beginning and we got signal. In
>rec.games.roguelike.angband, Eddie Grove <eddie...@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com>
>set up us this post:
>
>> Connected stairs make no sense on so many levels that IMO the only
>> reason to use them is if you plan to abuse them. If I actually choose
>> to enable them, I cannot pretend they are a bug and ignore them.
>
>They make no sense?
>
>If I went down the stairs in my house and found myself in the middle of the
>basement with the stairs back up on the other side of the place, I'd think
>*that* made no sense.

No, he's actually got a point.

The stairs in your house that go to the basement, when you go back up
them from your basement, you get to your house again.

Go down an Angband-stair, and when you go back up it, you're somewhere
*totally different*.

m. (I play with connected stairs anyway. If they diked it out, I now
think I'd just start scumming the BM for teleport level scrolls.)
--
\_\/_/| Martin Read - my opinions are my own. share them if you wish.
\ / | She comes like heaven sent her / Like Jesus died upon the cross /

Atrielv

Mar 30, 2004, 3:38:31 AM3/30/04
Hmmm
Cool post :)
but... AS corridors are not an abuse...
I think it would be just "terrain adjust for your advantage"....
and any good her would do that if allowed against monsters
that summon hordes in "real life".... I would face my enemy in a
place the size of my bathroom if posible, and with only one
way in.
--
I will hold the candle till it burns up my arm.
I'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired.

Chris Kern

Mar 30, 2004, 6:44:43 AM3/30/04
On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:40:47 GMT, Eddie Grove
<eddie...@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com> posted the following:

>Some time back, David Grabiner posted the Arch-mage's Tale. I intend
>to do something similar, but yet quite different. I find the usual
>advice in this group to be ridiculously conservative. This is my
>attempt to give a flavor of what it is like to play agressively.

I have long argued for playing aggressively, especially mages. I
found that once I started crash-diving with mages right from the
start, the survivability increased dramatically from when I just hung
around on 50' forever. Magic missile is an incredibly powerful spell.

-Chris

Eddie Grove

Mar 30, 2004, 1:42:33 PM3/30/04

HYDRAS ARE TOO TOUGH

I come down in a room with sleeping blackOrcs. I try to fight one at
a time, but they wake up and I must _tSelf. I ?dObj assorted items of
interest, but cannot find my way to them. I explore, looking for a
path to them, but I end up far away with a trapdoor blocking the
corridor. Rather than disarm it, I jump down. I float, so I know my
whip's hidden power is FF. I land in a corridor between a 3headHydra
and a line of forestTrolls, and I _tSelf. I find the stairs quickly
and do not see them again. I fight hordes of wimps (noviceRogues,
phaseSpiders, etc) and then Golfimbul in what turns out to be the moat
of a 2x2 room [4 equal rectangular compartments inside a moat]. A
3headHydra gets between me and the stairs. I cannot get around it
even after multiple ?phasing, so I ?recall. An uneventful trip.

I decide I really want the resistanceShield I saw last time that is
still for sale at the armoury. Along with the treasure I brought
back, I can sell my mithrilPlate for enough to get it. It's hard to
believe I am carrying !bold, but I still haven't amassed any !hero.

Still 3 blows, no FA. 99993 game turns.

[Angband 3.0.4 Character Dump]

Name Araguince Self RB CB EB Best
Sex Male Age 68 Str: 16 +1 +5 +0 18/40 18/30
Race Dunadan Height 76 INT: 10 +2 -2 +2 12
Class Warrior Weight 167 WIS: 10 +2 -2 +4 14
Title Swashbuckler Status 44 Dex: 16 +2 +2 +0 18/20 18/10

HP 269/269 Maximize Y CON: 16 +3 +2 +0 18/30

SP 0/0 Preserve Y CHR: 10 +2 -1 +0 11

Level 20 Armor [26,+23] Saving Throw Excellent
Cur Exp 8591 Fight (+2,+3) Stealth Fair
Max Exp 8591 Melee (+7,+10) Fighting Heroic
Adv Exp 9720 Shoot (+9,+4) Shooting Heroic
MaxDepth Lev 23 Blows 3/turn Disarming Very Good
Gold 43 Shots 1/turn Magic Device Very Good
Perception Fair
Burden 124.1 lbs Infra 0 ft Searching Fair

[...]

a) a Whip (Blessed) (1d3) (+5,+7) (+2) {+5+7 FF}

It increases your wisdom by 2. It is blessed by the gods. It might
have hidden powers.
b) a Heavy Crossbow (x4) (+7,+4)
c) (nothing)

d) (nothing)
e) (nothing)
f) a Brass Lantern (with 6734 turns of light)

It cannot be harmed by fire.

g) Metal Scale Mail (-2) [13,+2] {golf23}
h) a Cloak [1,+0]
i) a Small Leather Shield of Resistance [2,+9]
It provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, and cold. It cannot

be harmed by the elements.
j) The Iron Helm 'Holhenneth' [5,+10] (+2)
It increases your intelligence and wisdom by 2. It increases your
searching by 2. It cannot be harmed by the elements. It might have
hidden powers.
k) a Set of Gauntlets [2,+0]

l) a Pair of Hard Leather Boots [3,+0]

[Character Inventory]

a) a Potion of Boldness

b) 12 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds

c) 8 Scrolls of Phase Door

d) 2 Scrolls of Phase Door {10% off}
e) 6 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
f) 22 Scrolls of Identify {@r1}
g) 13 Scrolls of Magic Mapping
h) 5 Scrolls of Object Detection
i) 2 Scrolls of Monster Confusion
j) a Rod of Trap Location {@z1}
k) a Staff of Teleportation (4 charges) {!* 4}
l) a Staff of Object Location
m) 18 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0) {@f1 =g}

[Home Inventory]

a) 3 Potions of Resist Heat {40% off}
b) 3 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
c) 11 Scrolls of Phase Door
d) 7 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
e) 4 Scrolls of Enchant Weapon To-Hit
f) 4 Scrolls of Recharging
g) a Rod of Acid Balls

William Peterson

Mar 30, 2004, 3:58:55 PM3/30/04
Eddie Grove <eddie...@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com> wrote in message news:<m3hdw7q...@localhost.localdomain>...

> wpete...@socal.rr.com (William Peterson) writes:
>
> > Why Dunaden rather than High Elf? HE saves you the hassle of not
> > having SI for just a small hit in CON.
>
> It's all about CON. Given the choice of rLight versus sCon, sCon
> wins too. To repeat, CON CON CON CON CON.
>
> Also, you can start with 4 blows point-based with Str16/Dex16 base.
> With a High Elf, I think you have to start unbalanced to get 4 blows.

Actually HE is better for # of blows, getting +2 STR & +3 DEX vs. +2 &
+2 for Dunaden. So tradeoff is SI vs. sCON and +1 CON. I'll continue
to play HE for now but will read your commentaries and pay attention
to how CON affects the play.

> I also believe in the existence of insta-death on level-change. It
> gives an incentive minimize level-changes, which means faster diving.
> That's a good thing IMO.

I think you mean to discourage using "<" - is that the point? Your
whole approach is based on using ">" as often as possible.

> > I notice you're IDing everything when you get to town and find enough
>
> I think you are missing a subtlety. There is a difference between
> charges in an _id you plan to carry and one you plan not to carry. If
> you are choosing between good armors, you need to have identified
> both. So "excess" id in town should sometimes be used on good items.

Good point. I'm noticing similarities between quick diving and
ironman, like eating/quaffing/reading to ID things. But ID in town
isn't as precious as ID in the dungeon.

Bill

Eddie Grove

Mar 30, 2004, 4:17:48 PM3/30/04
wpete...@socal.rr.com (William Peterson) writes:

> I think you mean to discourage using "<" - is that the point? Your
> whole approach is based on using ">" as often as possible.

No, that isn't true. To get to level 95, I would like to use '>' and
trapdoors precisely 95 times with minimal recalls. It won't happen,
but it would be ideal. If you play levels repeatedly, you use '>'
hundreds of times to get to 95.

Eddie

Jonathan Ellis

Mar 30, 2004, 5:00:16 PM3/30/04

"Eddie Grove" <eddie...@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com> wrote in message

nah... you just use WoR hundreds of times. I don't believe I've used
an up staircase deeper than 400' more than ten times in my entire
Angbanding career. (Although I have walked up eight levels to the
surface to sell loot before, because a fire salamander burnt my last
scroll of WoR at a time when I could only afford two or three because
I spent the rest of my cash on Rings of See Invis and Free Action from
the BM. Below that, I'd carry on and hope to find another before
dying.)

Jonathan.

Igenlode Wordsmith

Mar 29, 2004, 4:16:38 PM3/29/04
On 29 Mar 2004 Eddie Grove wrote:

> STARTING OUT
>

> I start with a point-based Dunadan Warrior with base 16 Str/Dex/Con.
> I sell the starting sword and !berserk to buy ?recall, which is nicely
> on sale. I also purchase !hero, !CSW, a lantern, 2 ?phase, and 2 ?id.

[snip]

> I have 5794 gold when I enter the alchemy shop.

How on earth do you get so much money? I play pretty rapidly - though
*I* consider point-based and auto-roller abuse to be cheating, so tend
to spend the entire game up to stat gain with 'only' one or two blows!
- rarely clearing levels, often getting paralysed and somehow surviving
below 'FA depth', sell almost everything I come across in the first six
levels or so, equip myself almost entirely with armour from the dungeon
floor (on average ending up with one cursed item...) and am perpetually
short of cash for most of the start of the game. The only time I'm even
vaguely rich is when there are no Scrolls of Recall to be had, so I
*walk* down ten levels or so to economise on my stock, picking up
treasure along the way :-)

I always assumed chronic poverty was part of the resource-management
aspect of the game and endemic to non-scummers...

(Can one get four blows, even with a whip, given the stated STR/DEX of
16?)
--
<Igenl...@nym.alias.net>

Next to the RNG, the keyboard buffer probably kills more Angband
characters than people realize.

Eddie Grove

Mar 30, 2004, 10:45:57 PM3/30/04
Igenlode Wordsmith <Use-Author-Supplied-Address-Header@[127.1]> writes:

> On 29 Mar 2004 Eddie Grove wrote:

> > I have 5794 gold when I enter the alchemy shop.

> How on earth do you get so much money?

Excellent items are maybe 3K. Get a couple. Staves go for maybe 800,
get several. Down at 500' a little luck will see you through. I
wrote "I sell most stuff, including --sleep, --slow, --confuse" which
have base price of 500 each. I might have gotten "lucky" with
Grishnakh for something of slayOrc or the like, I don't remember.
On the first trip, it is often right to sell "good" bits of armor.

> *I* consider point-based and auto-roller abuse to be cheating, so tend

Then you are doomed to tedium.

I don't see why patience pressing 'r' and 'p' to re-roll is an
important part of the game, but if you think it is, do what you gotta
do. Optimal play is probably to re-roll for about 2 or 3 hours,
keeping the best character. I would guess that amount of time will
easily pay off in a shorter total time to get through stat gain.

> (Can one get four blows, even with a whip, given the stated STR/DEX of
> 16?)

That's base, before race and class modifiers. That's what the dumps
are for. Look down the post and see the stats and the 4 blows.

Eddie

Martin Read

Mar 31, 2004, 3:41:34 AM3/31/04
"Jonathan Ellis" <jona...@franz-liszt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>nah... you just use WoR hundreds of times. I don't believe I've used
>an up staircase deeper than 400' more than ten times in my entire
>Angbanding career.

In the days before recall could be reset, I did a fair bit of going up
when various leveltele effects bounced me down to my panic depth (1800'
or so) while I was statgaining.

I'm playing my O derivative now (ah, the joys of variant dev) and really
must start playing something other than HE mages.

m.

Wim Benthem

Mar 31, 2004, 8:39:53 AM3/31/04
On 30 Mar 2004 12:58:55 -0800, wpete...@socal.rr.com (William Peterson) wrote:

>Eddie Grove <eddie...@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com> wrote in message news:<m3hdw7q...@localhost.localdomain>...
>> wpete...@socal.rr.com (William Peterson) writes:
>>
>> > Why Dunaden rather than High Elf? HE saves you the hassle of not
>> > having SI for just a small hit in CON.
>>
>> It's all about CON. Given the choice of rLight versus sCon, sCon
>> wins too. To repeat, CON CON CON CON CON.
>>
>> Also, you can start with 4 blows point-based with Str16/Dex16 base.
>> With a High Elf, I think you have to start unbalanced to get 4 blows.
>>
>Actually HE is better for # of blows, getting +2 STR & +3 DEX vs. +2 &
>+2 for Dunaden. So tradeoff is SI vs. sCON and +1 CON. I'll continue
>to play HE for now but will read your commentaries and pay attention
>to how CON affects the play.

Dunadan even get an extra +2 to CON. I'll still think High elfs are
better:

you can start off with 16 STR, 14 or 15 DEX and 17 CON. The closer the
INTERNAL stat is to 18 the sooner you'll get it into the range where it
will go up faster.
At the end of the game, a warrior of any race can easily get enough CON.

High elves have +15 Saving throw and +15 magic device. This will make
a lot of difference later on. When I try to dive quickly I often have
lots of problems with cursing and monsters that will often blind or
confuse from a distance. (dragons seem to be the worst with the latter)
High elves should need only about half the amount of curing potions
for most of the game.
(If you find Holhenneth some of this is moot)
When you play without anti-summoning corridors or LOS-abuse, rods of
teleport other had better work.

High Elves are somewhat worse at melee fighting but much better with bows.

--
Wim Benthem

Eddie Grove

Mar 31, 2004, 9:54:56 AM3/31/04
Wim Benthem <wben...@wxs.nl> writes:

> Dunadan even get an extra +2 to CON. I'll still think High elfs are
> better:

You could well be right. In fact you probably are right. I have been
playing too many randart games. With the standard artifact set, CON
is easier to get. With randarts, more than once I have needed the
extra CON.

> When you play without anti-summoning corridors or LOS-abuse, rods of
> teleport other had better work.

Yes, I am wishing they worked better THIS GAME. My posts are lagging
behind the actual game.

Eddie

Warren

Mar 31, 2004, 10:26:30 AM3/31/04
Martin Read <mpr...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message news:<OZq*BE...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>...

> The stairs in your house that go to the basement, when you go back up
> them from your basement, you get to your house again.
>
> Go down an Angband-stair, and when you go back up it, you're somewhere
> *totally different*.

Well, both points are valid. It makes no sense that you can't go back
up the steps you just came down, but it also makes no sense that you
end up someplace else when you go back the same way. I like the way
Hengband does it, if you go up the same stair you came down, you end
up on the same level as you left, so the dungeons are semi-persistent.
However, if you go up a different staircase, then you're someplace
else. You can stairscum if you really want to, but it's not so
convenient. Perhaps other variants could incorporate the same idea.

Warren

Eddie Grove

Mar 31, 2004, 1:28:17 PM3/31/04

I am using ?map on the even panels, so it is quick to find the stairs
down to 24. When I -dTraps, there are an enormous number. Clearly a
major vault of some sort. Unfortunately, lacking --tOther, there is
no way I dare breach the vault.
Dunadan
Warrior
Swashbuckler ^^^^^^^^TTT^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ E ^^^^^^^^
LEVEL 20 TTTT ^^^^ ^/ +
EXP 8718 TT^ ^^^^ -- TT
AU 43 }TTTT T^ uuuu qq- TTT
\} ~[()]]] qTTTTT ^^ ^^^^^ uuuu qqqq TTTT
Str: 18/30 TwTTT #^^# #Jd Z ZZ#Z #uuuu# qqq#TTTT#
INT: 12 #####T #^^# ## m Z ##uuu##beq##TTTT#
WIS: 14 ^^^^^^^^##^^# ##########uuuu#q^qq#p T #
Dex: 18/10 ########^^^#F^gTTTooooouuuu##^^qq#K ###
CON: 18/30 Q+ ^^^^^^^^^^###################^^^qq#Roo#v#
CHR: 11 ########^^^#l^K-!oooooooood##^^^^#Too###
^^^^^^^^##^^# ##########o #^^^^#ooo o# #######
Cur AC 49 = ##### #^^# ##r ## ##I!k##ooo #######
Max HP 269 ##]Hh? #^^# #pT ^^# #^^^^# ^#ooos##.. #####
Cur HP 254 #p^ #^^# ##^^^^^## #^^^^# ^# #@..
##^ ##^^# J####### #^^^^# \## #############
#######^^^## ##^^^^# ^^##rd#
[**********] ############^^^^### ^_##+#
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^#g#^^^^^^^^#
Lev 24
The main threat seems to be Beorn. I wonder how far I could get
before having to ?phase away. I cannot get through the granite
entrances anyway, so my musings are moot. I descend.

I find my way to the stairs on 25, avoiding many foes thanks to
Holhenneth and ?map. Given the recharge time, I can ]dAll with
Holhenneth about every other even-numbered panel. On 26, I land next
to a 4headHydra, and must _tSelf. I pop into a room with sleeping
stoneTrolls, and decide I cannot leave them behind me. I wake them
individually with bolts and then melee. I get into some trouble when
a trollPriest comes from the other direction, but ?phase gets me to a
defensible position. I detect a new potion in a 2x2 room, but there
is a 5headHydra near there so I go in a different direction. On 27, I
come down near Nar. I run for the stairs, and he hits me 3 times and
mindblasts me for 60 total before I can descend. I come down in a
room with stairs, but I _dObj 5 items in a nearby room that is
medium-far via corridors. One turns out to be =sStr, too bad I didn't
have it 3 points of strength ago. Another is Maedhros!

I go back to the stairs and descend, then find a trapdoor to jump
down, and have made it to dLevel 30, the promised land of stat
potions. I see a spectator, and need not _tSelf wielding Maedhros. I
pay the price of amnesia. I find !wis soon afterwards, and then a
trapdoor leads to 31. I find !con on 31. I get poisoned badly by a
wyvern and am down to 73 hitpoints with no cure poison, so I ?recall.

The cheap !int is still at the market, so I buy it, along with ?*ID.
I do not have enough money to buy a sufficient source of id, so the
next trip may well be short. I am about to ?recall at 200/303
hitpoints. Every game turn counts. I have achieved a visit to town
during the time I might have wasted recuperating from the wyvern.

Still at 3 blows, but that will jump when I find !rStr and !rDex, or
better yet !str and !dex. Much more importantly, Maedhros gives FA.
For the curious, here is an excerpt from a dump later in the game.

The Main Gauche of Maedhros (2d5) (+12,+15) (+3) {floor28 @w0}
It increases your intelligence and dexterity by 3. It increases your
speed by 3. It slays trolls and giants. It grants you immunity to
paralysis and the ability to see invisible things. It cannot be harmed
by the elements.

122516 game turns.

[Angband 3.0.4 Character Dump]

Name Araguince Self RB CB EB Best

Sex Male Age 68 Str: 16 +1 +5 +0 18/40 18/10
Race Dunadan Height 76 INT: 11 +2 -2 +5 16
Class Warrior Weight 167 WIS: 11 +2 -2 +2 13
Title Veteran Status 44 Dex: 16 +2 +2 +3 18/50 18/40
HP 200/303 Maximize Y CON: 17 +3 +2 +0 18/40

SP 0/0 Preserve Y CHR: 10 +2 -1 +0 11

Level 22 Armor [26,+12] Saving Throw Excellent
Cur Exp 13998 Fight (+4,+2) Stealth Fair
Max Exp 13998 Melee (+4,+2) Fighting Legendary
Adv Exp 15120 Shoot (+4,+0) Shooting Heroic
MaxDepth Lev 32 Blows 3/turn Disarming Excellent
Gold 8 Shots 1/turn Magic Device Very Good
Perception Fair
Burden 120.9 lbs Infra 0 ft Searching Fair

[...]

a) a Main Gauche (2d5) {floor28, special}
b) a Heavy Crossbow (x4) {good}
c) a Ring of Sustain Strength
It sustains your strength.
d) (nothing)
e) (nothing)
f) a Brass Lantern (with 11980 turns of light)

It cannot be harmed by fire.

g) Metal Scale Mail [13] {golf23, good}
h) a Cloak [1] {average}
i) a Small Leather Shield [2] {resistance, excellent}

j) The Iron Helm 'Holhenneth' [5,+10] (+2)
It increases your intelligence and wisdom by 2. It increases your
searching by 2. It cannot be harmed by the elements. It might have
hidden powers.

k) a Set of Gauntlets [2] {average}
l) a Pair of Hard Leather Boots [3] {average}

[Character Inventory]

a) a Mushroom of Cure Blindness
b) a Ration of Food
c) 6 Potions of Boldness
d) a Potion of Resist Heat {40% off}
e) 11 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds
f) a Potion of Cure Critical Wounds
g) 9 Scrolls of Phase Door
h) 5 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
i) a Scroll of Identify {@r1}
j) 2 Scrolls of Magic Mapping
k) a Rod of Trap Location {@z1}
l) a Staff of Teleportation {!* 4}
m) a Staff of Perception (8 charges)
n) a Staff of Object Location {@u2}
o) a Staff of Object Location
p) 30 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0) {@f1 =g}

[Home Inventory]

a) 2 Potions of Resist Heat {40% off}

b) 3 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds

c) a Potion of Restore Constitution
d) 14 Scrolls of Phase Door

e) 6 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}

f) a Scroll of *Identify*
g) 4 Scrolls of Enchant Weapon To-Hit
h) 4 Scrolls of Recharging
i) a Rod of Acid Balls
j) a Wand of Clone Monster (7 charges)
k) a Staff of Perception (0 charges) {home}
l) 61 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0) {@f1 =g}

Neodymium

Mar 31, 2004, 4:15:15 PM3/31/04
In 2101, war was beginning and we got signal. In
rec.games.roguelike.angband, wsmit...@yahoo.com (Warren) set up us this
post:

> Martin Read <mpr...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message

Even in vanilla it makes some sense. You go into "a maze of staircases",
and though you arrive at an up stair, if you go back up it you can't find
the way back up. Your breadcrumbs are eaten by rodents. Your string is
snipped by an imp or a quasit. Your memory is damaged by a memory moss
growing in a dank corner, and even if it isn't, some umber hulk or
earthquake-causing earth elemental has rearranged things in there.

Kieron Dunbar

Mar 31, 2004, 1:39:10 PM3/31/04
Once upon a time, Rubinstein wrote thus:

> Ah, yes, got the point. It seems you don't care much about the (-3)
> penalty if you actually planned on keeping it. Interesting...

(-3) is a tiny penalty, especially for something with as huge a to-hit bonus as
a Dunadan Warrior. The [+35] is much more useful.

--
kwaheri, Kieron (reverse username to reply)

Igenlode Wordsmith

Mar 31, 2004, 1:13:50 PM3/31/04
On 31 Mar 2004 Eddie Grove wrote:

> Igenlode Wordsmith <Use-Author-Supplied-Address-Header@[127.1]> writes:

[snip]

> > *I* consider point-based and auto-roller abuse to be cheating, so tend
>
> Then you are doomed to tedium.
>
> I don't see why patience pressing 'r' and 'p' to re-roll is an
> important part of the game, but if you think it is, do what you gotta
> do. Optimal play is probably to re-roll for about 2 or 3 hours,
> keeping the best character.

No, *that's* abuse of similar tedium to save-scumming :-)

My optimum play for enjoyability is to use the auto-roller at a low
setting to ensure that your most important stat is at least 18 or so
(it may have to be less if you're playing, for example, a Half-troll
Mage), and otherwise take what comes without re-rolling, and learn to
play it well. As a result, I can cheerfully play Moria and Frog-knows
characters that pre-date the auto-roller, let alone the maxed-stats
point-based system, without too much of a culture shock :-)

I find your rolling style as dull as you find mine - you mention that
you abandoned my random-stat Half-troll competition character around the
60s, I steamrollered your 'Sting' character down to a rapid death and
couldn't be bothered to try it again: the first twenty levels were no
challenge at all, and hence extremely tedious.

As Julian Lighton writes /a propos/ another subject -
<106l4q5...@corp.supernews.com> - "It's not much fun to roll over
everything in your path, but once you've done it, playing a much weaker
character doesn't necessarily feel the same any more.

"There's also a potential tendency to balance against the munchkin
power levels..."

Moria is actually noticeably better-balanced than most Angband
variants. I do wonder if this is due to power escalation in the player
characters...

I'll happily play occasional characters with what I would consider a
freakishly-high spellcasting stat (18/30 or over), *if* the RNG happens
to produce one. But if I use a template to guarantee one every time,
here's no pleasure in it at all. Munchkin mode in Kamband - as opposed
to the profitable but deadly ghost mode, or Gumband's quick-start option
- really isn't much of a temptation.

It's like save-scumming (sez I who was never bright enough for
save-scumming even to occur to me!): once you've tried *not* forcing
maximised stats, life turns out to get harder, but much more
interesting. On Ceilti's recommendation, I've also tried non-preserve
mode, which definitely does add a certain edge... ;-)

Eddie Grove

Apr 1, 2004, 2:45:12 AM4/1/04

LACK OF ID = SHORT TRIP

I use a precious charge of _id on a mushroom that turns out to be the
hoped-for ,rStr. I eat it, and have 4 blows again. I ]dAll some
stairs, but have no way to get to them. After some roundabout travel,
I could head toward the stairs but it is moderately far and there are
no objects on the way, so instead I will explore the level hoping for
different stairs. I come across a necromancer, and before I can close
to melee it summons a phantom. I lose exp and must _tSelf. I land
back where I already explored, so I just head to the known stairs.
Maybe there is a lesson there.

On 33 I am near the stairs, but ]dAll a new potion off in the
distance, so the stairs have no appeal. On the way, a swarm of
crebains shows up out of nowhere, hasting each other attacking me in
the middle of a room. I drop below 50% before I finish them. The
potion is !enlight, no point in waiting, I !enlight the level. There
is a new potion, new scroll, and 4 new rings so I will spend some time
on this level. I notice what appears to a pit [an empty moated room].
Luckily it is not on the way. I encounter a pack of vibrationHounds,
and they make an extremely annoying block in my path. They force me
to step out, fire a bolt, step back and rest, and REPEAT. Eventually
I clear them. I run out of _id, but press on towards the rings. Then
a mystic summons a dozen earthHounds and other nasties. I get cut up
pretty bad and I must _tSelf. I already got the potion, which was
just !ugly, and the _tSelf took me back far away from the rings so I
give up and ?recall to get more id.

I buy out 4 ?recall, 10 ?phase, and ?+hit to reduce the alchemist's
slots in use. I would like to get !rDex, but I am strapped for cash.
There are !hero for sale at the market, but to generate cash I would
have to sell my empty _id's to the mage, and that would hurt if a new
_id shows up and gets merged with them. I realize there is another
way. I trade in my +2metalScale for softLeather and some money. Then
I give up waiting to pseudo what I think is an average smallSword I
have been carrying forever, and it turns out SlayGiant. I buy !rDex,
and buy out ?dTraps, ?dDoor, and onsale ?phase. This was a very very
sloppy trip to town. All because I held off on _id'ing the smallsword
trying to conserve id. Oh well. Wielding softLeather after having
gotten used to mithrilPlate is pretty strange.

132302 game turns.

[Angband 3.0.4 Character Dump]

Name Araguince Self RB CB EB Best

Sex Male Age 68 STR: 16 +1 +5 +0 18/40
Race Dunadan Height 76 Int: 11 +2 -2 +5 16 13

Class Warrior Weight 167 WIS: 11 +2 -2 +2 13

Title Veteran Status 44 DEX: 16 +2 +2 +3 18/50
HP 322/322 Maximize Y CON: 17 +3 +2 +0 18/40

SP 0/0 Preserve Y CHR: 10 +2 -1 +0 11

Level 24 Armor [17,+13] Saving Throw Excellent
Cur Exp 20159 Fight (+5,+3) Stealth Fair
Max Exp 20159 Melee (+5,+3) Fighting Legendary
Adv Exp 22500 Shoot (+5,+0) Shooting Heroic
MaxDepth Lev 33 Blows 4/turn Disarming Excellent
Gold 1079 Shots 1/turn Magic Device Very Good
Perception Fair
Burden 116.4 lbs Infra 0 ft Searching Fair

[...]

d) a Ring of Sustain Strength
It sustains your strength.
e) (nothing)
f) a Brass Lantern (with 10997 turns of light)

It cannot be harmed by fire.

g) Soft Leather Armour [4,+0]

h) a Cloak [1] {average}
i) a Small Leather Shield [2] {resistance, excellent}
j) The Iron Helm 'Holhenneth' [5,+10] (+2)
It increases your intelligence and wisdom by 2. It increases your
searching by 2. It cannot be harmed by the elements. It might have
hidden powers.
k) a Set of Gauntlets [2] {average}
l) a Pair of Hard Leather Boots [3] {average}

[Character Inventory]

a) a Mushroom of Cure Blindness

b) 2 Mushrooms of Cure Confusion
c) a Ration of Food

d) a Potion of Resist Heat {40% off}

e) 3 Potions of Heroism {10% off}
f) 11 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds
g) a Potion of Cure Critical Wounds
h) 5 Scrolls of Phase Door {10% off}
i) 2 Scrolls of Phase Door {40% off}
j) 5 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
k) a Scroll of Recharging
l) 2 Scrolls of Magic Mapping
m) 10 Scrolls of Trap Detection
n) 13 Scrolls of Door/Stair Location
o) a Scroll of Protection from Evil
p) a Rod of Trap Location {@z1}
q) a Rod of Light {@z3}
r) a Wand of Stone to Mud (4 charges)
s) a Staff of Teleportation (1 charge) {!* 1}
t) 2 Staffs of Perception (11 charges) {@u1}
u) a Staff of Object Location {@u2}
v) 30 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0) {@f1 =g}

[Home Inventory]

a) 5 Potions of Boldness
b) 2 Potions of Resist Heat {40% off}
c) 4 Potions of Heroism {10% off}
d) 7 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
e) a Potion of Restore Constitution
f) 31 Scrolls of Phase Door
g) 8 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
h) a Scroll of *Identify*
i) 5 Scrolls of Enchant Weapon To-Hit
j) 3 Scrolls of Recharging
k) a Scroll of Rune of Protection
l) a Rod of Acid Balls
m) a Wand of Clone Monster (7 charges)
n) 2 Staffs of Perception (0 charges) {home}
o) 51 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0) {@f1 =g}

Eddie Grove

Apr 1, 2004, 11:21:48 AM4/1/04

REUNITED

I find replacement good metalScale on 33. On 34, I come down in a
large room with a pack of whiteWolves. I ]dAll the stairs, and a
trollpit and a score of caveOrcs. I am not yet deep enough to make it
worth the trouble to fight most of the trolls in the pit. It turns
out the stairs are OUTSIDE the room I dropped into, and I sit in a
corner and fight of the wolves a few at a time. On 35, I ]dAll Mim
and nine gravityHounds, change direction to retrace my steps. I have
to go through Azog and escort to avoid Mim+Hounds. When Azog gets
near I ?pEvil and !hero. He is repelled often enough he only gets me
down 50% before I finish him. One advantage of diving is that ?pEvil
is quite effective. I get a bunch of good items and Gurthang! I want
to ?recall to trade weight for cash. I need as many slots as
possible, so I ?recharge _tSelf even though it has a charge, and am
happy when it doesn't explode. The main question is whether to drop
a ,rAll or 2 !hero or !CCW or 11 ?dDoor to carry stuff to sell. I
drop only the 11 ?dDoor.

There is no id for sale in town, at all. The alchemist has 7
restoreStat potions, so it would be pricy to buy him out. I decide to
use a ?recharge or two on the empty _id's stacking up at home. Even
though the temple would pay more, I sell a mace to the weaponsmith so
that the temple has more room to generate !CCW or !hero. I sell
everything I can, then look some more and sell ?rune, so that I can
buy back my old mithrilPlate that is still available at the armoury.
What a happy reunion! I will be heading down without any id at all.
Hopefully my empty slots and upgradeable average armor bits will allow
me to make the most of the trip even so.

141623 game turns.

[Angband 3.0.4 Character Dump]

Name Araguince Self RB CB EB Best
Sex Male Age 68 STR: 16 +1 +5 +0 18/40
Race Dunadan Height 76 Int: 11 +2 -2 +5 16 13
Class Warrior Weight 167 WIS: 11 +2 -2 +2 13
Title Veteran Status 44 DEX: 16 +2 +2 +3 18/50

HP 341/341 Maximize Y CON: 17 +3 +2 +0 18/40

SP 0/0 Preserve Y CHR: 10 +2 -1 +0 11

Level 25 Armor [48,+23] Saving Throw Excellent
Cur Exp 24258 Fight (+2,+3) Stealth Fair
Max Exp 24258 Melee (+14,+18) Fighting Legendary
Adv Exp 31500 Shoot (+10,+5) Shooting Heroic
MaxDepth Lev 35 Blows 4/turn Disarming Excellent
Gold 242 Shots 1/turn Magic Device Very Good
Perception Fair
Burden 134.2 lbs Infra 0 ft Searching Fair

[...]

a) The Main Gauche of Maedhros (2d5) (+12,+15) (+3) {floor28 @w0}

It increases your intelligence and dexterity by 3. It increases your

speed by 3. It cannot be harmed by the elements. It might have hidden
powers.
b) a Heavy Crossbow (x4) (+8,+5)
c) a Ring of Sustain Dexterity
It sustains your dexterity.
d) (nothing)
e) (nothing)
f) a Brass Lantern (with 14621 turns of light)

It cannot be harmed by fire.

g) Mithril Plate Mail (-3) [35,+1]

It cannot be harmed by acid.

h) a Cloak [1] {average}

i) a Small Leather Shield of Resistance [2,+9] {resistance}
It provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, and cold. It cannot

be harmed by the elements.
j) The Iron Helm 'Holhenneth' [5,+10] (+2)
It increases your intelligence and wisdom by 2. It increases your
searching by 2. It cannot be harmed by the elements. It might have
hidden powers.
k) a Set of Gauntlets [2] {average}
l) a Pair of Hard Leather Boots [3] {average}

[Character Inventory]

a) 3 Potions of Heroism {10% off}
b) 11 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds
c) a Potion of Cure Critical Wounds
d) 9 Scrolls of Phase Door
e) 5 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
f) a Rod of Trap Location {@z1}
g) a Rod of Light {@z3}
h) a Wand of Stone to Mud (4 charges)

i) a Staff of Teleportation (6 charges) {!* 6}

j) a Staff of Object Location
k) The Two-Handed Sword 'Gurthang' (3d6) (+13,+17) (+2) {AzogEtc35 @w0}
It increases your strength by 2. It cannot be harmed by the elements.

It might have hidden powers.

l) 30 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0) {@f1 =g}

[Home Inventory]

a) a Mushroom of Restoring
b) 5 Potions of Boldness
c) 2 Potions of Resist Heat {40% off}
d) 3 Potions of Heroism {10% off}
e) 7 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
f) 22 Scrolls of Phase Door
g) a Scroll of Teleportation
h) 6 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
i) a Scroll of *Identify*
j) 5 Scrolls of Enchant Weapon To-Hit

k) a Scroll of Recharging

l) a Rod of Acid Balls
m) a Wand of Clone Monster (7 charges)

n) 21 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0) {@f1 =g}

Matthew Collett

Apr 1, 2004, 3:49:43 PM4/1/04
In article <m34qs3a...@localhost.localdomain>,
Eddie Grove <eddie...@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com> wrote:

> On 34, I come down in a
> large room with a pack of whiteWolves. I ]dAll the stairs, and a
> trollpit and a score of caveOrcs. I am not yet deep enough to make it
> worth the trouble to fight most of the trolls in the pit.

So how deep do you want to be before you think it is worth it? Several
common troll types are native to 1350' and start dropping stat potions
at 1650'. I find troll hunting at this depth very productive, and
partly for this reason usually consider 1650' the natural point to stop
power diving and start collecting potions. (The other main reason to
stop at 1650' is that gravity hounds are native to 1750'; I think they
are the most dangerous monster for their depth in the entire game, and I
really don't want to encounter more than I can help until I've boosted
my CON to a reasonable level.)

Best wishes,
Matthew Collett

--
Those who assert that the mathematical sciences have nothing to say
about the good or the beautiful are mistaken. -- Aristotle

Eddie Grove

Apr 1, 2004, 6:37:48 PM4/1/04
Matthew Collett <m.co...@auckland.ac.nz> writes:

> In article <m34qs3a...@localhost.localdomain>,
> Eddie Grove <eddie...@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 34, I come down in a
> > large room with a pack of whiteWolves. I ]dAll the stairs, and a
> > trollpit and a score of caveOrcs. I am not yet deep enough to make it
> > worth the trouble to fight most of the trolls in the pit.
>
> So how deep do you want to be before you think it is worth it? Several

Drop depth is something like (mLevel + dLevel)/2 +/- 1d5 IIRC. So at
dLevel 34, a small chance of avoiding out-of-depth check starts at
(mLevel + 34)/2 + 5 = 30, or mLevel = 16. But 26 is better and 36+ is
best. Or my memory is wrong, which could easily be the case. Thus
forestTrolls [mLevel 17] usually need an out-of-depth check on 34.

That is not to say that you can't get stat potions earlier. Enough
stuff and you pass some out-of-depth checks.

If you fight, and repeatedly are wounded enough you have to rest,
you squander oodles of game turns. Ideally, you want to kill in
a round or two and not face an out-of-depth check on stat potions.

Eddie

Matthew Collett

Apr 2, 2004, 2:08:04 AM4/2/04
In article <m3oeqb8...@localhost.localdomain>,
Eddie Grove <eddie...@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com> wrote:

> > > On 34, I come down in a
> > > large room with a pack of whiteWolves. I ]dAll the stairs, and a
> > > trollpit and a score of caveOrcs. I am not yet deep enough to make it
> > > worth the trouble to fight most of the trolls in the pit.
> >
> > So how deep do you want to be before you think it is worth it?
>

> Drop depth is something like (mLevel + dLevel)/2 +/- 1d5 IIRC.

Just (mLevel + dLevel)/2, unless it has changed very recently. (IIRC
there is a constant 1-in-20 chance of an out-of-depth drop.)

> Thus
> forestTrolls [mLevel 17] usually need an out-of-depth check on 34.

Forest trolls won't be in depth for stat potions until 2150'. If you
are willing to go that deep before starting serious stat gain, you're a
braver man than I am, Gunga-Din.

Eddie Grove

Apr 2, 2004, 12:16:29 PM4/2/04

SHAMEFUL FLIGHT

After I ?recall, I run to the store for a ration, just in case. When
I return to 35, I ]dAll Sangahyando nearby, and have to decide whether
to search him out. I have no ?pEvil, so I decide to avoid him. I
]dAll about a dozen ogres, and decide at 35 it might be deep enough to
get lucky. On the way, I get caught between a gelatinousCube and some
fireAnts. I decide to take the upstairs to avoid them. Oh, the
shame.

I find Ibun on 34, _tSelf. I head for a =+?dam and kill some
caveTrolls on the way for a special battleaxe. I get back down to 35,
and run past earthHounds to get to the stairs to 36, taking 30 points
damage. I am down to +1 speed from the stuff I am carrying. I ]dAll
Lokkak and escort near a new potion. Should I fight? If not, can I
avoid them? I now have 3 wands, potion, amulet, and =+?dam in need of
identify, not to mention armor and weapons. I decide to kill some
ogres anyway. Lokkak wakes up and is too tough, so I _tSelf. I _dObj
twice [scrolling the view] and see nothing anywhere nearby, so I
?recall.

There is _id for sale at magic shop, and it is 25% off which is
awesome. That means it didn't merge with the 4 empty staves I sold
last time. The special axe is Lotharang, I sell it. I made out very
well this trip, with =+10dam, --tOther, elvenkindLeather, "regen and
-disarm. I ?*ID the elvenkind, just rLight, not exciting. I try
using -acidBalls, but still can't activate it. I get another -dTraps
at the market, and !know which I guess I should have used on the
elvenkind. I buy a +5cloak, and have plenty of cash so I get 2 !rLife
just in case for later. I also pick up a new _tSelf and an extra
_dObj. Now the main thing I lack is temporary speed boost. I can try
to loot vaults now.

152154 game turns.

[Angband 3.0.4 Character Dump]

Name Araguince Self RB CB EB Best
Sex Male Age 68 STR: 16 +1 +5 +0 18/40
Race Dunadan Height 76 Int: 11 +2 -2 +5 16 13
Class Warrior Weight 167 WIS: 11 +2 -2 +2 13
Title Veteran Status 44 DEX: 16 +2 +2 +3 18/50
HP 341/341 Maximize Y CON: 17 +3 +2 +0 18/40
SP 0/0 Preserve Y CHR: 10 +2 -1 +0 11

Level 25 Armor [47,+28] Saving Throw Excellent
Cur Exp 30808 Fight (+2,+13) Stealth Fair
Max Exp 30808 Melee (+14,+28) Fighting Legendary
Adv Exp 31500 Shoot (+11,+5) Shooting Heroic
MaxDepth Lev 36 Blows 4/turn Disarming Excellent
Gold 1697 Shots 1/turn Magic Device Very Good
Perception Fair
Burden 149.8 lbs Infra 0 ft Searching Fair

[...]

b) a Heavy Crossbow (x4) (+9,+5)

c) a Ring of Sustain Dexterity
It sustains your dexterity.

d) a Ring of Damage (+10)
e) an Amulet of Regeneration
It speeds your regeneration.
f) a Brass Lantern (with 13566 turns of light)

It cannot be harmed by fire.
g) Mithril Plate Mail (-3) [35,+1]
It cannot be harmed by acid.

h) a Cloak [1,+5]

i) a Small Leather Shield of Resistance [2,+9] {resistance}
It provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, and cold. It cannot
be harmed by the elements.
j) The Iron Helm 'Holhenneth' [5,+10] (+2)
It increases your intelligence and wisdom by 2. It increases your
searching by 2. It cannot be harmed by the elements. It might have
hidden powers.
k) a Set of Gauntlets [2] {average}

l) a Pair of Soft Leather Boots [2] {good}

[Character Inventory]

a) 4 Potions of Heroism {10% off}
b) 9 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds

c) a Potion of Cure Critical Wounds
d) 9 Scrolls of Phase Door

e) 4 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
f) a Scroll of Word of Recall {10% off}
g) 10 Scrolls of Identify

h) 5 Scrolls of Object Detection

i) 2 Rods of Trap Location {@z1}
j) a Rod of Disarming
k) a Rod of Light {@z3}
l) a Wand of Teleport Other (10 charges) {10}
m) a Wand of Stone to Mud (4 charges) {4}
n) a Wand of Light (10 charges) {10}
o) a Staff of Teleportation (8 charges) {!* 8}
p) a Staff of Perception (6 charges) {@u1, 25% off}
q) a Staff of Object Location (9 charges)
r) The Two-Handed Sword 'Gurthang' (3d6) (+13,+17) (+2) {AzogEtc35 @w0}

s) 30 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0) {@f1 =g}

[Home Inventory]

a) a Mushroom of Restoring
b) 5 Potions of Boldness
c) 2 Potions of Resist Heat {40% off}

d) 10 Potions of Heroism
e) 2 Potions of Heroism {10% off}
f) 12 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds
g) 9 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
h) a Potion of Restore Life Levels
i) a Potion of Restore Life Levels {10% off}
j) a Potion of Restore Wisdom
k) a Potion of Self Knowledge
l) 22 Scrolls of Phase Door
m) a Scroll of Teleportation
n) 5 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
o) 4 Scrolls of Word of Recall {10% off}
p) 5 Scrolls of Enchant Weapon To-Hit
q) a Scroll of Recharging
r) a Rod of Acid Balls
s) a Wand of Clone Monster (7 charges)
t) a Staff of Teleportation (4 charges) {!* 4}
u) a Staff of Object Location
v) Hard Studded Leather of Elvenkind (-1) [7,+10] (+3 to stealth)
It increases your stealth by 3. It provides resistance to acid,
lightning, fire, cold, and light. It cannot be harmed by the elements.

w) 85 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0) {@f1 =g}

Eddie Grove

Apr 2, 2004, 10:04:12 PM4/2/04

SCRAMBLED

I get another ?*ID on 36, use it on Holhenneth. I encounter a
masterVampire on 37. I could ?phase and bolt, but still have no
source of illumination, so it would be wasteful when I couldn't see
it. I just melee and lose some exp, but gain more from killing it, no
big deal. I continue dropping and exploring, top to bottom. I use
Holhenneth every other even quadrant, -dTraps every other screen move,
and _dEvil and _dObj or ?dObj on even screens where I do not ]dAll.

A YoungMulti breathes lightning, and I lose --fireBolt. The
electricity bugfix works. The dragon also breathes poison, which
takes forever to run out. I face a MatureGreen while hitpoints are
still under 50%. I switch to Gurthang, but still have to ?phase when
near death. Then !hero and !CSW a couple times and find it and finish
it.

I get a bit further, and ]dAll a diagonal vault.

Dunadan
Warrior *
Myrmidon
LEVEL 26
EXP 36060 ,
AU 2696 + + i
|}=="~[()]]] qh HgD=
Str: 18/30 hhh -=?
Int: 13 !hTj oo
WIS: 18/10 $TT ,ooo * #
DEX: 18/50 TdTTTboooo + ] %
CON: 16 +TTTTqoooop > + + P + #
CHR: 11 TTTb oppp #####
ZZRg pppp #.#?# #
Cur AC 75 ZZZZ pppp ..@..
Max HP 315 ZZji pppp $ #^#.% %
Cur HP 158 ^
' '
W ' +
[**********] g a
F j
+
Fast (+2) Lev 38

The only notables are ironGolem, pukelman, AncientGreen, and a
colbran. This should be doable. I rest, get attacked by fire hounds,
lose some stuff. Now I have more slots for items from the vault :).
I fight through hordes of halfOrcs and novPaladins, but when the
colbran shows up --tOther. Better to use a charge than risk the wand.
While I fight, occasionally I have a free turn, and I -disarm a chest
and open it. Good thing, since a fireBat later breathes and destroys
it. When the AncientGreen shows up, I just --tOther. I could take
it, but why take the risk of being hurt if something deadly shows up
while I am looting. I try to rest and pseudo, but yeeks keep
interrupting. That allows me to test a rod and wand, and to find
another rod I cannot seem to activate. Then a MatureMulti shows up
and I kill it. I keep collecting things, will I never leave? I give
up, and destroy a shortBow and a bastardSword to make sure they are
not artifacts. I leave behind all my curing potions, 2 ?recall,
-dDoors, and lots of stuff on the ground because I have to take things
home to id. My inventory when I ?recall from the vault:

a) a Holy Book of Prayers [Holy Infusions]

It cannot be harmed by the elements.

b) a Potion of Speed
c) a Pink Potion
d) a Brown Speckled Potion
e) a Scroll titled "ingsun wergoxy"
f) 2 Rods of Trap Location {@z1}
g) 3 Rods of Disarming
h) a Rod of Light {@z3}
i) a Rod of Slow Monster
j) a Gold-Plated Rod {tried}
k) 2 Wands of Teleport Other (16 charges) {16}
l) a Staff of Teleportation (8 charges) {!* 8}
m) a Staff of Detect Evil
n) an Oak Staff
o) a Ring of Damage
p) a Jasper Ring
q) a Garnet Ring
r) a Metal Cap [3] {special}
s) a Dagger (2d4) {special}
t) a Tulwar (2d4) {excellent}
u) The Two-Handed Sword 'Gurthang' (3d6) (+13,+17) (+2) {AzogEtc35 @w0}

It increases your strength by 2. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
It might have hidden powers.

v) 27 Bolts (1d5) {excellent}
w) 28 Iron Shots (1d4) {excellent}

I wonder if I should toss the -slow, which I just plan to sell, to
pick up --stone2mud. I think I can tunnel with Gurthang in a pinch,
and --stone2mud would cost a slot on the next trip, so I decide to
abandon it.

I can only get 9 ?id in town, so I sell one bolt and shot to id my
ammo. I collected -tOther [which is too hard to use], _earthquakes,
=+8dam, Thengel, =+3+10slay, !heal, =+3con, and a defenderTulwar
unid'ed in the vault. At the temple, Ludwig will only offer 15K for
?Infusions, perhaps I should wait for someone else. I buy --destTraps
and a lance from market to free slots there. Holhenneth is better, so
I sell Thengel, wearing Thengel at the time so I get the charisma
bonus on its price. I have to get more id, so I buy out the
alchemist. When he restocks, I buy out ?phase, ?recall, ?+hit,
?recharge, ?illum, ?map, ?dObj, and of course ?id. I get a couple
_tSelf.

Hmm - notice rather late that CON and WIS must have gotten swapped.
What a PAIN. Must have been a nexus attack I missed in the heat of
battle. I am effectively at negative 5 important stat potions since
birth. So much for stat gain at stat gain depth. The game suddenly
got much harder.

168647 game turns used.

[Angband 3.0.4 Character Dump]

Name Araguince Self RB CB EB Best

Sex Male Age 68 Str: 16 +1 +5 +0 18/40 18/30
Race Dunadan Height 76 INT: 11 +2 -2 +5 16
Class Warrior Weight 167 WIS: 18/01 +2 -2 +2 18/21
Title Myrmidon Status 44 DEX: 16 +2 +2 +3 18/50
HP 333/333 Maximize Y CON: 11 +3 +2 +0 16
SP 0/0 Preserve Y CHR: 11 +2 -1 +0 12

Level 27 Armor [54,+30] Saving Throw Excellent
Cur Exp 48414 Fight (+5,+23) Stealth Fair
Max Exp 48414 Melee (+17,+38) Fighting Legendary
Adv Exp 63000 Shoot (+14,+8) Shooting Legendary
MaxDepth Lev 38 Blows 4/turn Disarming Excellent
Gold 26972 Shots 1/turn Magic Device Excellent
Perception Fair
Burden 201.0 lbs Infra 0 ft Searching Fair

[...]

b) a Heavy Crossbow (x4) (+9,+8)
c) a Ring of Damage (+10)
d) a Ring of Slaying (+3,+10)

e) an Amulet of Regeneration
It speeds your regeneration.

f) a Brass Lantern (with 11915 turns of light)

It cannot be harmed by fire.

g) Mithril Plate Mail (-3) [35,+3]

It cannot be harmed by acid.
h) a Cloak [1,+5]
i) a Small Leather Shield of Resistance [2,+9] {resistance}
It provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, and cold. It cannot
be harmed by the elements.
j) The Iron Helm 'Holhenneth' [5,+10] (+2)
It increases your intelligence and wisdom by 2. It increases your

searching by 2. It provides resistance to blindness and confusion. It
grants you the ability to see invisible things. It activates for
detection every 55+d55 turns. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
k) a Set of Cesti [5] {good}
l) a Pair of Metal Shod Boots [6] {good}

[Character Inventory]

a) a Mushroom of Restoring

b) a Potion of Speed

c) 2 Potions of Resist Heat {40% off}

d) 2 Potions of Resist Cold

e) 2 Potions of Heroism {10% off}
f) 12 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds

g) 9 Scrolls of Phase Door

h) 5 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
i) a Scroll of Word of Recall {10% off}
j) 32 Scrolls of Identify {@r1}
k) 30 Scrolls of Light {@r2}
l) 9 Scrolls of Magic Mapping
m) 8 Scrolls of Object Detection
n) 2 Rods of Trap Location {@z1}
o) 3 Rods of Disarming
p) a Rod of Light {@z3}
q) a Wand of Teleport Other (8 charges) {8}
r) a Staff of Teleportation (7 charges) {!* 7}
s) a Staff of Detect Evil
t) a Staff of Earthquakes (5 charges)
u) The Two-Handed Sword 'Gurthang' (3d6) (+13,+17) (+2) {AzogEtc35 @w0}

It increases your strength by 2. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
It might have hidden powers.

v) 27 Bolts of Flame (1d5) (+9,+6) {@f2 =g}
It is branded with fire. It cannot be harmed by fire.
w) 30 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0) {@f1 =g}

[Home Inventory]

a) a Holy Book of Prayers [Holy Infusions]

It cannot be harmed by the elements.

b) 4 Potions of Resist Cold
c) 10 Potions of Heroism
d) 9 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
e) a Potion of Healing
f) a Potion of Restore Life Levels
g) a Potion of Restore Life Levels {10% off}
h) a Potion of Self Knowledge
i) 58 Scrolls of Phase Door
j) a Scroll of Teleportation
k) 23 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
l) 3 Scrolls of Word of Recall {10% off}
m) 19 Scrolls of Enchant Weapon To-Hit
n) 8 Scrolls of Recharging
o) 16 Scrolls of Magic Mapping
p) a Rod of Teleport Other
q) a Rod of Acid Balls
r) a Wand of Clone Monster (7 charges)
s) a Wand of Teleport Other (8 charges)
t) 3 Staffs of Teleportation (19 charges)

u) a Staff of Object Location

v) a Ring of Resist Poison
It provides resistance to poison.
w) Hard Studded Leather of Elvenkind (-1) [7,+10] (+3 to stealth)

It increases your stealth by 3. It provides resistance to acid,
lightning, fire, cold, and light. It cannot be harmed by the elements.

x) 55 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0) {@f1 =g}

Eddie Grove

Apr 3, 2004, 5:09:07 PM4/3/04

TELEPORT AVOIDS RETRACEMENT

I ?recall, notice my speed is only +1, so I run to the magic shop and
sell a couple -disarm to lighten my load a tad. On 39, I _dEvil
Angamaite near a _dObj. Now I am tough enough not to fear him, though
I won't seek him out if he ignores me. He comes, so I kill Angamaite,
then a gravity hound, then go get the _dObj. On the way back to the
stairs Nar finds me and blocks my path, so I kill him. I leave
_earthquakes and !rCold behind so I can carry a couple weapons to
pseudo. I pseudo one as good as I find the next stairs, and destroy
it so I have a free slot to pick things up. I _dEvil an orcPit, but
snagas, caveOrcs, and hillOrcs aren't worth the time.

I have covered the leftmost sectors without finding anything. To
avoid spending time retracing my steps, I _tSelf. I hardly move, but
at least I get away from the cul-de-sac.

I end up walking through the moat of the orcPit on the way to the
stairs, but only kill one snaga. A 5headHydra guards the stairs, I
get quite poisoned, and I wait for it to wear off before descending
the stairs. I end up at 197/333 hitpoints, decide it is enough to
descend. I dig through some rubble on an odd screen, and Medusa is on
the other side. I needed another could steps to scroll the screen for
_dEvil, oh well, _tSelf. Later on, a mystic not in view summons
spiders, when I get close enough to see him they are in the way, so I
--tOther. By 43, I have collected several heavy excellent items,
?recall to sell them.

I have plenty of money and nothing expensive to buy, so I buy out
the slots at the market that cost less than 5K.

179704 game turns.

[Angband 3.0.4 Character Dump]

Name Araguince Self RB CB EB Best
Sex Male Age 68 Str: 16 +1 +5 +0 18/40 18/30
Race Dunadan Height 76 INT: 11 +2 -2 +5 16
Class Warrior Weight 167 WIS: 18/01 +2 -2 +2 18/21
Title Myrmidon Status 44 DEX: 16 +2 +2 +3 18/50
HP 333/333 Maximize Y CON: 11 +3 +2 +0 16
SP 0/0 Preserve Y CHR: 11 +2 -1 +0 12

Level 27 Armor [54,+13] Saving Throw Excellent
Cur Exp 58900 Fight (+5,+3) Stealth Fair
Max Exp 58900 Melee (+5,+3) Fighting Legendary
Adv Exp 63000 Shoot (+5,+0) Shooting Legendary
MaxDepth Lev 43 Blows 4/turn Disarming Excellent
Gold 27866 Shots 1/turn Magic Device Excellent
Perception Fair
Burden 186.4 lbs Infra 0 ft Searching Fair

[...]

a) a Main Gauche (2d5) {floor28 @w0, special}
b) a Heavy Crossbow (x4) {good}
c) a Ring of Damage {+10}
d) a Ring of Slaying {+3+10}

e) an Amulet of Regeneration
It speeds your regeneration.

f) a Brass Lantern (with 14230 turns of light)

It cannot be harmed by fire.

g) Mithril Plate Mail [35] {good}
h) a Cloak [1] {good}
i) a Small Leather Shield [2] {resistance, excellent}

j) The Iron Helm 'Holhenneth' [5,+10] (+2)
It increases your intelligence and wisdom by 2. It increases your
searching by 2. It provides resistance to blindness and confusion. It
grants you the ability to see invisible things. It activates for
detection every 55+d55 turns. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
k) a Set of Cesti [5] {good}
l) a Pair of Metal Shod Boots [6] {good}

[Character Inventory]

a) a Mushroom of Restoring
b) a Potion of Speed

c) 6 Potions of Heroism
d) 11 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds
e) a Potion of Cure Critical Wounds
f) a Potion of Restore Life Levels {10% off}

g) 9 Scrolls of Phase Door

h) 6 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}

i) a Scroll of Word of Recall {10% off}

j) 37 Scrolls of Identify {@r1}
k) 9 Scrolls of Magic Mapping
l) 5 Scrolls of Holy Chant
m) 2 Rods of Trap Location {@z1}
n) a Rod of Illumination {@z2}
o) a Rod of Disarming

p) a Rod of Light {@z3}

q) a Wand of Teleport Other {7}
r) a Staff of Teleportation {!* 5}
s) a Staff of Object Location
t) a Staff of Detect Evil

u) The Two-Handed Sword 'Gurthang' (3d6) (+13,+17) (+2) {AzogEtc35 @w0}

It increases your strength by 2. It is especially deadly against
dragons. It is branded with fire and poison. It provides resistance
to fire and poison. It slows your metabolism and speeds your
regeneration. It grants you immunity to paralysis. It cannot be
harmed by the elements.
v) 30 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0) {@f1 =g}
w) 27 Bolts (1d5) {@f2 =g, excellent}

[Home Inventory]

a) a Holy Book of Prayers [Holy Infusions]
It cannot be harmed by the elements.
b) 4 Potions of Resist Cold

c) 16 Potions of Heroism
d) 8 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds

e) a Potion of Healing

f) 3 Potions of Restore Life Levels
g) a Potion of Self Knowledge
h) 58 Scrolls of Phase Door
i) a Scroll of Teleportation
j) 23 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
k) 2 Scrolls of Word of Recall {10% off}
l) 19 Scrolls of Enchant Weapon To-Hit
m) 8 Scrolls of Recharging
n) 25 Scrolls of Magic Mapping
o) a Rod of Teleport Other
p) a Rod of Acid Balls
q) a Wand of Clone Monster (7 charges)
r) a Wand of Teleport Other (8 charges)
s) 3 Staffs of Teleportation (19 charges)
t) a Staff of Object Location
u) a Ring of Resist Poison

It provides resistance to poison.

v) Hard Studded Leather of Elvenkind (-1) [7,+10] (+3 to stealth)

It increases your stealth by 3. It provides resistance to acid,
lightning, fire, cold, and light. It cannot be harmed by the elements.

w) 55 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0) {@f1 =g}

Eddie Grove

Apr 4, 2004, 3:42:41 AM4/4/04

GURTHANG DIGS OUT PHIAL

I finally find my first =FA on 43. It's a good thing I got FA from a
weapon earlier. I get !dex from a netherWraith. The !rLife didn't
stay long in my pack. I ]dAll a stairwell, but it is guarded by an
EtherealDragon and Ariel so I head off to look for another one. I
head for a new scroll, have to --tOther Akhoril and AncientGreen,
being hurt and stunned when they show up. I come down near a
nightmare on 44, _tSelf immediately. On 45, I land near a cyclops. I
?map, and try to sneak for the door, but it wakes up and I _tSelf. In
my new location, I ?map a vault. I _dEvil a dozen watertrolls, and I
decide to take them out first. I approach the vault and ]dAll, and
see airHounds above and gravityHounds below, a masterLich, a drolem, a
dreadMaster, an AncientBlue, a demonicQ, assorted other monsters and
lots of loot.

Dunadan # # # # # # *
Warrior # # # #####+#+############
Myrmidon # # #.% TTTTTTT
LEVEL 28 # # %.* ################## TTTT
Exp 63325 ################ # #@% #L#d ###ZZ#d -g#p T
AU 29565 ' ' ## # #.% #O### ^ ##Z#u####D T
|}=="~[()]]] ##########+## ## # #.% #OOO### #Z#ZZZ]#Z
STR: 18/40 #B## ## # # % ###OOO## #Z##=#ZZZ
INT: 16 ###p## ## # # #OOO#O# #Z######Z *
WIS: 18/21 # # ## # #%% #O##### ##Z#Z^ #Z
DEX: 18/70 # # ##### # # #O ^ Z # # #
CON: 16 # # # ### # ############## - *
CHR: 12 #### # # # #uuuuuuuuZZZ ## ##
# # # # #u##########Z##c
Cur AC 67 # ## # # #u#ZZ ZZZ^ Z ^###- *
Max HP 337 # ###### # #u#Z######## ##h [
Cur HP 337 # # # #u#W##ESd G# Q# ##
# # # #u# W##### ####B#-
# # # #u##dS##!^ / ^
# # # ##################
# # #
##### # ######## ####*%##%##
Fast (+2) Lev 45

I will have to dig through granite with Gurthang raising my strength
to 18/60. It will be slow, unless the forestTrolls drop something
useful. They don't. On the third autorepeat, I manage to dig in.

I try to fight a giantRoc, really tough! An AncientBlue comes up
behind so --tOther both of them. I find the dreadMaster, --tOther,
hope it doesn't find its way back. The drolem comes up behind a
YoungBlue, and --tOther one more time. The masterLich finds me,
teleports me next to it, but luckily does not drain my wand, so
--tOther again. That was the last charge. There are ribbedPlate and
ballAndChain in the other section guarded by gravityHounds. I will
leave them behind. I got the phial, which is what counts. I ?recall,
quaff all !hero to free a slot, and pick up treasure. I am still down
experience from some undead from 43 or 44.

I still cannot activate -tOther or -acidBall. There is nothing
exciting for sale in town. I get _id and the usual stuff, and buy and
kill some stuff from market. It doesn't seem worth wasting !rLife
when I am down only 1200 exp.

My recall depth is now 2250' with a CON of 11.

197256 game turns.

[Angband 3.0.4 Character Dump]

Name Araguince Self RB CB EB Best

Sex Male Age 68 STR: 16 +1 +5 +0 18/40

Race Dunadan Height 76 INT: 11 +2 -2 +5 16
Class Warrior Weight 167 WIS: 18/01 +2 -2 +2 18/21

Title Myrmidon Status 44 DEX: 18 +2 +2 +3 18/70
HP 337/337 Maximize Y CON: 11 +3 +2 +0 16

SP 0/0 Preserve Y CHR: 11 +2 -1 +0 12

Level 28 Armor [54,+13] Saving Throw Superb
Cur Exp 68615 Fight (+17,+3) Stealth Fair
Max Exp 69806 Melee (+29,+18) Fighting Legendary
Adv Exp 90000 Shoot (+17,+0) Shooting Legendary
MaxDepth Lev 45 Blows 4/turn Disarming Excellent
Gold 44283 Shots 1/turn Magic Device Excellent
Perception Fair
Burden 163.0 lbs Infra 0 ft Searching Fair

[...]

f) The Phial of Galadriel
It lights the dungeon around you. It activates for illumination every
10+d10 turns. It cannot be harmed by the elements.

g) Mithril Plate Mail [35] {good}
h) a Cloak [1] {good}
i) a Small Leather Shield [2] {resistance, excellent}
j) The Iron Helm 'Holhenneth' [5,+10] (+2)
It increases your intelligence and wisdom by 2. It increases your
searching by 2. It provides resistance to blindness and confusion. It
grants you the ability to see invisible things. It activates for
detection every 55+d55 turns. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
k) a Set of Cesti [5] {good}
l) a Pair of Metal Shod Boots [6] {good}

[Character Inventory]

a) a Potion of Speed
b) 4 Potions of Resist Heat
c) 2 Potions of Resist Cold
d) 6 Potions of Heroism
e) 9 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds
f) a Potion of Cure Critical Wounds
g) 6 Scrolls of Phase Door
h) 5 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}

i) a Scroll of Word of Recall {10% off}

j) 2 Scrolls of Recharging
k) 7 Scrolls of Magic Mapping
l) 2 Scrolls of Object Detection

m) 2 Rods of Trap Location {@z1}

n) a Rod of Disarming
o) a Rod of Light {@z3}
p) 2 Wands of Teleport Other (8 charges) {8}
q) a Staff of Teleportation (6 charges) {!* 6}
r) a Staff of Perception (20 charges)

s) a Staff of Object Location
t) a Staff of Detect Evil
u) The Two-Handed Sword 'Gurthang' (3d6) (+13,+17) (+2) {AzogEtc35 @w0}
It increases your strength by 2. It is especially deadly against
dragons. It is branded with fire and poison. It provides resistance
to fire and poison. It slows your metabolism and speeds your
regeneration. It grants you immunity to paralysis. It cannot be
harmed by the elements.

v) 27 Bolts of Flame (1d5) (+9,+6) {@f2 =g}

It is branded with fire. It cannot be harmed by fire.
w) 20 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0) {@f1 =g}

[Home Inventory]

a) a Holy Book of Prayers [Holy Infusions]
It cannot be harmed by the elements.

b) 37 Potions of Resist Heat
c) 2 Potions of Resist Cold
d) 19 Potions of Heroism
e) 10 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds
f) 8 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
g) a Potion of Healing
h) 3 Potions of Restore Life Levels
i) a Potion of Self Knowledge
j) 58 Scrolls of Phase Door
k) a Scroll of Teleportation
l) 23 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
m) 22 Scrolls of Identify {@r1}
n) 19 Scrolls of Enchant Weapon To-Hit
o) 8 Scrolls of Recharging
p) 18 Scrolls of Magic Mapping
q) a Rod of Illumination {@z2}
r) a Rod of Teleport Other
s) a Rod of Acid Balls
t) a Wand of Clone Monster (7 charges)
u) 4 Staffs of Teleportation (22 charges) {!*}
v) a Ring of Resist Poison

It provides resistance to poison.

w) Hard Studded Leather of Elvenkind (-1) [7,+10] (+3 to stealth)

It increases your stealth by 3. It provides resistance to acid,
lightning, fire, cold, and light. It cannot be harmed by the elements.

x) 47 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0) {@f1 =g}

Eddie Grove

Apr 4, 2004, 2:08:17 PM4/4/04

I ?recall into the midst of halfOrcs. I kill one, head out a door
taking a few hits. I get into trouble again. Fighting giantArmyAnts,
a deathKnight comes up, and while I am trying to finish it off, an
ettin joins in and I ?phase to where something sees me and summons
more. A couple _tSelf later, seems safe to rest and I ]dAll a
greatAxe5d4. I pick it up and rest, and notice it is special. _id
affirms it is Eonwe. Great weapon, except I only get one swing with
it. I go pick up -tOther near an EtherealDragon. Once awakened, I
will not be able to leave it behind, so I _tSelf immediately after
picking up the rod. I make it to some stairs, but a new potion and
ring await back where I started the level, and I will try to get them.

I get close to the potion, and a nexusQ teleports me away, back near
the hotspot. I kill the deathKnight with a fireBolt, but another
deathKnight [summoned first time I was here] hits me with a
netherBolt. I use the ettin as a blocker, and when they line up it is
time for --tOther. A necromancer shows up off a ways, who must be the
summoner, and I --tOther before he can summon again. A graveWight
guarding the ring drains me, but drops !con so I don't mind. The ring
turns out to be =+3str, which is worth carrying. I want to get to the
potion, which seems close in the next room but ever so far away as the
Dunadan crawls. I get as close as I can and ?phase, and repeat, and I
get there. It turns out to be !blind. What a waste.

I am not very close to any stairs, and I want to store Eonwe and
-tOther at home. I have ?Resistances and 3 excellent heavy weapons to
sell, so I ?recall. I remember to sell a flail to the weaponSmith,
not the temple. I have now sold both pebbles and shots of slayGiant,
the RNG must be up on David vs Goliath. For a moment I consider
holding onto a pick+5dig, but =+3str is enough to break into a vault
so I sell the pick. I buy and kill a few cheap items at the temple
and the magicshop. I need slots at home, so I carry all my !CSW. I
decide I don't really need !CCW for emergency.

205999 game turns.

[Angband 3.0.4 Character Dump]

Name Araguince Self RB CB EB Best
Sex Male Age 68 STR: 16 +1 +5 +0 18/40
Race Dunadan Height 76 INT: 11 +2 -2 +5 16
Class Warrior Weight 167 WIS: 18/01 +2 -2 +2 18/21
Title Myrmidon Status 44 DEX: 18 +2 +2 +3 18/70

HP 344/344 Maximize Y CON: 12 +3 +2 +0 17

SP 0/0 Preserve Y CHR: 11 +2 -1 +0 12

Level 28 Armor [54,+42] Saving Throw Superb
Cur Exp 74043 Fight (+5,+23) Stealth Fair
Max Exp 74043 Melee (+17,+38) Fighting Legendary
Adv Exp 90000 Shoot (+14,+9) Shooting Legendary

MaxDepth Lev 45 Blows 4/turn Disarming Excellent

Gold 48139 Shots 1/turn Magic Device Excellent
Perception Fair
Burden 167.1 lbs Infra 0 ft Searching Fair

[...]

b) a Heavy Crossbow (x4) (+9,+9)
c) a Ring of Damage (+10) {+10}
d) a Ring of Slaying (+3,+10) {+3+10}

e) an Amulet of Regeneration
It speeds your regeneration.
f) The Phial of Galadriel
It lights the dungeon around you. It activates for illumination every
10+d10 turns. It cannot be harmed by the elements.

g) Mithril Plate Mail (-3) [35,+5]

It cannot be harmed by acid.
h) a Cloak [1,+5]

i) a Small Leather Shield of Resistance [2,+9] {resistance}
It provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, and cold. It cannot

be harmed by the elements.

j) The Iron Helm 'Holhenneth' [5,+10] (+2)
It increases your intelligence and wisdom by 2. It increases your
searching by 2. It provides resistance to blindness and confusion. It
grants you the ability to see invisible things. It activates for
detection every 55+d55 turns. It cannot be harmed by the elements.

k) a Set of Cesti [5,+4]
l) a Pair of Metal Shod Boots [6,+6]

[Character Inventory]

a) a Potion of Speed
b) 4 Potions of Resist Heat
c) 2 Potions of Resist Cold
d) 6 Potions of Heroism

e) 26 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds
f) 9 Scrolls of Phase Door
g) 6 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
h) 7 Scrolls of Recharging
i) 6 Scrolls of Magic Mapping
j) 2 Rods of Trap Location {@z1}
k) a Rod of Disarming
l) a Rod of Light {@z3}
m) 2 Wands of Teleport Other (6 charges) {6}
n) a Staff of Teleportation (8 charges) {10% off}
o) a Staff of Perception (15 charges) {@u1}
p) a Staff of Detect Evil (16 charges)
q) a Ring of Strength (+3)
It increases your strength by 3. It sustains your strength.
r) The Two-Handed Sword 'Gurthang' (3d6) (+13,+17) (+2) {AzogEtc35 @w0}

It increases your strength by 2. It is especially deadly against
dragons. It is branded with fire and poison. It provides resistance
to fire and poison. It slows your metabolism and speeds your
regeneration. It grants you immunity to paralysis. It cannot be
harmed by the elements.

s) 27 Bolts of Flame (1d5) (+9,+6) {@f2 =g}

It is branded with fire. It cannot be harmed by fire.

t) 20 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0) {@f1 =g}

[Home Inventory]

a) 33 Potions of Resist Heat
b) 13 Potions of Heroism
c) 9 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
d) a Potion of Healing
e) 3 Potions of Restore Life Levels
f) a Potion of Self Knowledge
g) 77 Scrolls of Phase Door
h) a Scroll of Teleportation
i) 22 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
j) 32 Scrolls of Identify {@r1}
k) 19 Scrolls of Enchant Weapon To-Hit
l) 4 Scrolls of Enchant Weapon To-Dam

m) 8 Scrolls of Recharging

n) 18 Scrolls of Magic Mapping
o) a Rod of Illumination {@z2}
p) 2 Rods of Teleport Other
q) a Rod of Acid Balls
r) a Wand of Clone Monster (7 charges)
s) 5 Staffs of Teleportation (30 charges) {!*}
t) a Staff of Detect Evil (15 charges)
u) a Ring of Resist Poison

It provides resistance to poison.

v) Hard Studded Leather of Elvenkind (-1) [7,+10] (+3 to stealth)

It increases your stealth by 3. It provides resistance to acid,
lightning, fire, cold, and light. It cannot be harmed by the elements.

w) The Great Axe of Eonwe (5d4) (+15,+18) [+8] (+2)
It increases all your stats by 2. It cannot be harmed by the elements.

It might have hidden powers.

x) 62 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0) {@f1 =g}

Atrielv

Peter Borgmann

Apr 4, 2004, 4:37:40 PM4/4/04
On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 20:05:12 +0000 (UTC), Atrielv wrote:
> Really cool your tales %)
> When this char die, do the same in O! %)

And as a somewhat sadistic addition I'ld like to recommend a beorning
druid... <evil grin>

Otto Martin

Apr 4, 2004, 6:45:22 PM4/4/04
Warren <wsmit...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I like the way Hengband does it, if you go up the same stair you came
>down, you end up on the same level as you left, so the dungeons are
>semi-persistent. However, if you go up a different staircase, then
>you're someplace else. You can stairscum if you really want to, but
>it's not so convenient.

Yeah, that seems like the best way to incorporate "persistent" levels in
*bands. Additionally, it keeps the good feature of connected stairs that
you can retreat through the stairs you came from if the level has nasties
too tough to handle. Of course, then you'll have to find another set of
stairs, but that shouldn't be too hard...

>Perhaps other variants could incorporate the same idea.

I hope this is ported to Z.

Otto Martin
--
"Sometimes... you need to risk your own life...
to collect all the CGs & the endings..."

Eddie Grove

Apr 5, 2004, 11:30:22 AM4/5/04

HUNGRY TOO SOON

I ]dAll an AncientRed right off, decide to kill it. I !rHeat and
!hero and hack away. I get down to 15%, ?phase, and -light so I will
see it coming. Then !CSW a few times. It turns out I am on the other
side of rubble around a bend, it can't reach me, so I can rest. I dig
through, kill it, but an emperorWight waits behind it. I get enough
experience from the kill to make up for the drain. The AncientRed
gave me my first !str. I rest maybe 50 turns to pseudo some stuff,
use a charge of _id on non-pseudoed barchain so I needn't wait any
more before descending. I drop my !rHeat and !rCold to carry stuff to
pseudo. Later I drop -acidBolts I picked up somewhere, again for a
slot to pseudo. Money has gotten less important.

On 47, plasmaHounds to the left, energyHounds to the right, but stairs
above. Only one stunning plasmaBreath hits me as I run and go down to
48. I am really missing object detection. I wonder what might be
nearby as I head straight for stairs. I screwed up somehow, get weak
from hunger on 48, ?recall.

I managed to descend 3 levels and get a !str, so the trip wasn't
a complete waste even though it took 11K turns.

Nothing interesting for sale in town. I will sell most boring bolts.

216338 game turns.

[Angband 3.0.4 Character Dump]

Name Araguince Self RB CB EB Best

Sex Male Age 68 STR: 18 +1 +5 +0 18/60

Race Dunadan Height 76 INT: 11 +2 -2 +5 16

Class Warrior Weight 167 Wis: 18/01 +2 -2 +2 18/21 18/20

Title Myrmidon Status 44 DEX: 18 +2 +2 +3 18/70

HP 364/364 Maximize Y CON: 12 +3 +2 +0 17

SP 0/0 Preserve Y CHR: 11 +2 -1 +0 12

Level 29 Armor [54,+42] Saving Throw Superb
Cur Exp 98463 Fight (+5,+23) Stealth Fair
Max Exp 98463 Melee (+17,+38) Fighting Legendary
Adv Exp 135000 Shoot (+14,+9) Shooting Legendary
MaxDepth Lev 48 Blows 4/turn Disarming Excellent
Gold 74492 Shots 1/turn Magic Device Excellent
Perception Fair
Burden 202.6 lbs Infra 50 ft Searching Fair

[Character Equipment]

[Character Inventory]

a) 2 Rations of Food

b) a Potion of Speed

c) 4 Potions of Resist Heat
d) 7 Potions of Heroism
e) 22 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds
f) 15 Scrolls of Phase Door
g) 7 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
h) 32 Scrolls of Identify {@r1}
i) a Scroll of Recharging
j) 6 Scrolls of Magic Mapping
k) 2 Rods of Trap Location {@z1}
l) a Rod of Door/Stair Location
m) 2 Rods of Disarming
n) a Rod of Light {@z3}
o) 2 Wands of Teleport Other (10 charges)
p) a Staff of Teleportation (8 charges) {10% off}
q) a Staff of Detect Evil (16 charges)
r) a Ring of Strength (+3)

It increases your strength by 3. It sustains your strength.

s) The Two-Handed Sword 'Gurthang' (3d6) (+13,+17) (+2) {AzogEtc35 @w0}

It increases your strength by 2. It is especially deadly against
dragons. It is branded with fire and poison. It provides resistance
to fire and poison. It slows your metabolism and speeds your
regeneration. It grants you immunity to paralysis. It cannot be
harmed by the elements.

t) 28 Bolts of Lightning (1d5) (+6,+10)
It is branded with electricity. It cannot be harmed by electricity.
u) 27 Bolts of Flame (1d5) (+9,+6) {@f2 =g}

It is branded with fire. It cannot be harmed by fire.

v) 62 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0) {@f1 =g}

[Home Inventory]

a) 42 Potions of Resist Heat
b) 11 Potions of Heroism

c) 9 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
d) a Potion of Healing
e) 3 Potions of Restore Life Levels
f) a Potion of Self Knowledge

g) 82 Scrolls of Phase Door

h) a Scroll of Teleportation
i) 22 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}

j) 19 Scrolls of Enchant Weapon To-Hit
k) 4 Scrolls of Enchant Weapon To-Dam
l) 13 Scrolls of Recharging
m) 16 Scrolls of Magic Mapping
n) a Rod of Illumination {@z2}
o) 2 Rods of Teleport Other

p) a Rod of Acid Balls
q) a Wand of Clone Monster (7 charges)

r) a Wand of Teleport Other (5 charges)

s) 5 Staffs of Teleportation (30 charges) {!*}

t) a Staff of Perception (8 charges) {@u1}
u) 2 Staffs of Detect Evil (31 charges)
v) a Ring of Resist Poison

It provides resistance to poison.

w) Hard Studded Leather of Elvenkind (-1) [7,+10] (+3 to stealth)

It increases your stealth by 3. It provides resistance to acid,
lightning, fire, cold, and light. It cannot be harmed by the elements.

x) The Great Axe of Eonwe (5d4) (+15,+18) [+8] (+2)

It increases all your stats by 2. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
It might have hidden powers.

Eddie Grove

Apr 5, 2004, 6:27:24 PM4/5/04

5 BLOWS ATTAINED

My return to 48 is uneventful at first, but finally ]dAll shows not
only the stairs, but also Khim and a trollPit. I have bolts of
lightning, so perhaps now is a good time to off Khim. Only 3 bolts
are required! Then I take out the trolls, get !dex for 5 blows, and
!know. I run into a death quasit near the stairs, but rather than
flee I attack. He saps my dex, back to 4 blows, and drops many
non-useful items. A dreadMaster follows me, but =+3str keep me safe
during the battle, and I get !wis. I head toward a vault, there is a
beholder, and rather than risk all the charges I use one from --tOther
and it is gone. It shows up again on my way to the vault, or is it
another? In any case, another --tOther.

There are coldHounds and a deathKnight in the moat. Medusa,
AncientGold, 9headHydra, rottingQ, and Ren inside.

Dunadan * ## # # #
Warrior * * # # #:#
Myrmidon ##################### #######%%########+######### ####
LEVEL 30 # Z # #### ...........'.+
EXP 141215 # ## ######### ##Z# # ###%%%%%%###### ##############
AU 81869 # # ##!=WOOOO## # # # #### # #
|}=="~[()]]] # W##" ###OOO## Z # # # # #
STR: 18/60 # Z# E##v##O #Z # # # # #
Int: 15 # ## ##aQa##OO##Z ######'##%%*%%#%##%##%%## #
WIS: 18/45 # # ##aaWaa## # ^:' ' ' + + + #
Dex: 18/86 # Z# #####a##### # #######%%##'%%% ####%%##%##
CON: 17 # Z# ^^^+a#a+^^^n% _...@... % % # % %
CHR: 12 # # #####a##### # ####%#%#%###% %%# # % %
# # ##<aaav## # # # # # %
Cur AC 97 ### # ## ##Wad## ## # # ####% #
Max HP 377 # # # d##A##D # # * # # #
Cur HP 357 # # # p## k###M d## # * ##### # #
# # # # ##[,/^\^^## # % # # #
#H##### ## ######### ## # # # #
[----------] + * # # #
############## ##### %#%%%% # # # %%%%%%####
# # # # # # # %
Fast (+2) Lev 49

I clear the moat, break in, --tOther Ren. I also decide to --tOther
the hydra, no point in letting things burn. While I fight an
AncientGold, fireAnts come up behind me, and I ?phase out of the
vault. I fight some more, finally kill it with 6% [22] hitpoints
left. I collect !int, ?banish, and a couple of ?*ID to take home. My
only real quandry is whether to save the !berserk. I will need some
vs Morgoth, but for now I do not think I wish to use the slot at home
to save it. Presumably I used --tOther on Medusa at some time, even
though I didn't take note of it :).

I test out -acidBalls at home. I can finally use it. I consider
selling my -dDoors, but decide money isn't important, so no point in
filling a slot at the magicShop. I will throw it away when I need the
slot.

230900 game turns.

[Angband 3.0.4 Character Dump]

Name Araguince Self RB CB EB Best
Sex Male Age 68 STR: 18 +1 +5 +0 18/60

Race Dunadan Height 76 INT: 13 +2 -2 +5 18
Class Warrior Weight 167 WIS: 18/25 +2 -2 +2 18/45
Title Myrmidon Status 44 Dex: 18/36 +2 +2 +3 18/106 18/86
HP 377/377 Maximize Y CON: 12 +3 +2 +0 17

SP 0/0 Preserve Y CHR: 11 +2 -1 +0 12

Level 30 Armor [54,+43] Saving Throw Superb
Cur Exp 156599 Fight (+17,+23) Stealth Fair
Max Exp 156599 Melee (+29,+38) Fighting Legendary
Adv Exp 180000 Shoot (+26,+10) Shooting Legendary
MaxDepth Lev 49 Blows 4/turn Disarming Excellent
Gold 93463 Shots 1/turn Magic Device Excellent
Perception Fair
Burden 172.4 lbs Infra 0 ft Searching Fair

[...]

b) a Heavy Crossbow (x4) (+9,+10) {+9+10}

c) a Ring of Damage (+10) {+10}
d) a Ring of Slaying (+3,+10) {+3+10}
e) an Amulet of Regeneration
It speeds your regeneration.
f) The Phial of Galadriel
It lights the dungeon around you. It activates for illumination every
10+d10 turns. It cannot be harmed by the elements.

g) Mithril Plate Mail (-3) [35,+5] {+5}

It cannot be harmed by acid.

h) a Cloak [1,+5] {+5}

i) a Small Leather Shield of Resistance [2,+9] {resistance}
It provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, and cold. It cannot
be harmed by the elements.
j) The Iron Helm 'Holhenneth' [5,+10] (+2)
It increases your intelligence and wisdom by 2. It increases your
searching by 2. It provides resistance to blindness and confusion. It
grants you the ability to see invisible things. It activates for
detection every 55+d55 turns. It cannot be harmed by the elements.

k) a Set of Cesti [5,+4] {+4}
l) a Pair of Metal Shod Boots [6,+6] {+6}

[Character Inventory]

a) 2 Rations of Food

b) 2 Potions of Speed

c) 4 Potions of Resist Heat

d) 11 Potions of Heroism
e) 15 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds
f) 7 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
g) 11 Scrolls of Identify {@r1}
h) 2 Rods of Trap Location {@z1}
i) a Rod of Door/Stair Location
j) 2 Rods of Teleport Other

k) a Rod of Disarming

l) a Rod of Light {@z3}
m) a Rod of Acid Balls (charging)
n) 3 Wands of Teleport Other (9 charges)
o) a Staff of Teleportation (8 charges) {!* 8, 10% off}
p) a Staff of Perception (20 charges) {20}
q) a Staff of Object Location (10 charges)
r) a Staff of Detect Evil (17 charges)
s) a Ring of Strength (+3)

It increases your strength by 3. It sustains your strength.

t) The Two-Handed Sword 'Gurthang' (3d6) (+13,+17) (+2) {AzogEtc35 @w0}

It increases your strength by 2. It is especially deadly against
dragons. It is branded with fire and poison. It provides resistance
to fire and poison. It slows your metabolism and speeds your
regeneration. It grants you immunity to paralysis. It cannot be
harmed by the elements.

u) 24 Bolts of Flame (1d5) (+9,+6) {@f2 =g}

It is branded with fire. It cannot be harmed by fire.

v) 20 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0) {@f1 =g}

[Home Inventory]

a) 38 Potions of Resist Heat
b) 11 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
c) a Potion of Healing
d) a Potion of *Healing* {!*}
e) 5 Potions of Restore Life Levels

f) a Potion of Self Knowledge
g) 82 Scrolls of Phase Door
h) a Scroll of Teleportation

i) 19 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
j) 2 Scrolls of *Identify*
k) 19 Scrolls of Enchant Weapon To-Hit
l) 3 Scrolls of Enchant Weapon To-Dam
m) 13 Scrolls of Recharging
n) 16 Scrolls of Magic Mapping
o) a Scroll of Banishment {!*}
p) 2 Rods of Illumination {@z2}
q) 2 Wands of Clone Monster (11 charges)
r) 5 Staffs of Teleportation (30 charges) {!*}
s) a Staff of Perception (6 charges) {@u1}
t) 5 Staffs of Detect Evil (80 charges)
u) a Ring of Resist Poison

It provides resistance to poison.

v) Hard Studded Leather of Elvenkind (-1) [7,+10] (+3 to stealth)

It increases your stealth by 3. It provides resistance to acid,
lightning, fire, cold, and light. It cannot be harmed by the elements.

w) The Great Axe of Eonwe (5d4) (+15,+18) [+8] (+2)

It increases all your stats by 2. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
It might have hidden powers.

x) 27 Bolts of Lightning (1d5) (+6,+10)

It is branded with electricity. It cannot be harmed by electricity.

Eddie Grove

Apr 6, 2004, 3:02:28 AM4/6/04

ARTIFACT DEPTH

I come down in a large room, and see a YoungGreen and an inertiaHound.
Hounds always come in packs, so there are probably a score outside my
light radius, and I _tSelf. I won't return to that part of the level.
I ]dAll hillOrcs and snagas and an orcCaptain in a moat, and ologs
every other square in a pattern that screams treasure-room [what we
called it back in the days of rogue]. There is also an ochreJelly
inside, and nothing of note to pick up. I kill the ologs, get
nothing. At 49, I am just deep enough I could get extra lucky and get
a stat potion from a hillOrc. [Or so I think, later newsgroup
discussion suggests this was a mistake.] I am in serious need of CON,
so I waste a few dozen turns and get !chr.

On 50, I ]dAll a score of sleeping phaseSpiders, an enchantress
guarding the stairs, Itangast, an AncientMulti, acidicCytoplasm, and a
new staff in presumably another treasure room. I start fighting the
spiders, and a dread attacks from out of nowhere. I hastily don
=+3str, and by the time I kill it more appear. The spiders play catch
with me, and I swing at dreads when adjacent, use fireArrows when not
obscured by spiders, and swing at spiders when there is nothing else
to do. I drop -dDoors to make room to pseudo. When I finally get a
chance to scroll the screen and _dEvil, it seems all the dreads are
finished. The enchantress finds me, and I -tOther. I succeed on my
second attempt. Not safe for emergencies, but rods are good. The D's
are dangerous, so I -light corridors before going down them. I see an
AncientRed and feel relief. I try -tOther 3 times, failing, then it
breathes and I feel the need to --tOther. As a bonus, I get a
nexusVortex in line behind the Dragon. I !rHeat and head for the
stairs despite being at 243/377. Resting will get me killed if
Itangast and the AncientMulti awaken.

I ]dAll on 51, and things are nicely boring. Then I explore a bit and
find netherHounds, oh well, 7K exp down the drain before I _tSelf. I
_dEvil assorted orcs and trolls and an AncientGreen. On my way to the
AncientGreen, I find I am inside a moated room with a glaive9d6! The
AncientGreen must be in the moat. I have to wait for Holhenneth to
recharge so I can find my way out. I only get one blow with the
glaive. A door opens, and I _dEvil to make sure it is AncientGreen,
but it is just an uruk. It seems Shagrat is nearby. I attack an
uruk, the D comes in and I !hero and have at it. Down to 100
hitpoints when I finish. Now I can concentrate on the uruks. When
Shagrat shows up, I honor him by using !hero first. A cloudGiant
approaches, and I am not risking my rods fighting him. With an uruk
blocking between us, I -tOther repeatedly and the 5th time it works.
I go off after a new wand, kill some trolls for a ?*ID, and the wand
turns out to be --magicMissile. A coldHound finds me and freezes one
of my !speed. I kill an AncientRed, losing several ?recall, for
Thalkettoth which I put on. It takes maybe 20 tries to -tOther a
sleeping marilith. I need more experience to use it effectively. It
is time to go home. Should I pick up saleables? There is also a pair
of cesti that tempt me. I go too near the netherHounds, and one finds
me, but I kill it for cLevel 31. I go back for the valuables, and
?recall. Now with Thalkettoth, I get 2 blows with Pain, which is not
nearly good enough to consider.

I sell the mithrilPlate, and hope the next owner enjoys it as much as
I did. I get !str from the market, and buy and kill some cheap stuff.
I have to choose from amongst assorted weapons: Maedhros @ 5 blows +3
speed, Eonwe @ 4 blows immCold, Gurthang @ 3 blows rPoison, Pain @ 2
blows. Too much trouble to figure out blows with different dex, so I
buy out alchemist hoping for !rDex when he restocks. No luck, what
the heck, one more try. This time !rDex shows up, so I buy and quaff.

I have finally achieved 6 blows with light weapons. Now my choices
are Maedhros @ 6, Gurthang @ 4, Pain @ 4w/=+3str @3w/o, Eonwe
@5w/=+3str @4w/o. Pain is useless now without FA, but maybe it will
make a decent angel killer later. Gurthang is the least of the other
3, but I may wield it most of the time for rPoison. I sell elvenkind
armor to make room for ?dObj and use up ?+dam to free a slot for ?id.
I do not ?*ID Eonwe, hoping that I will find another ?*ID in the
dungeon that I can use and so it won't cost me a slot when I find one.

241872 game turns.

[Angband 3.0.4 Character Dump]

Name Araguince Self RB CB EB Best

Sex Male Age 68 STR: 18/26 +1 +5 +0 18/86

Race Dunadan Height 76 INT: 13 +2 -2 +5 18
Class Warrior Weight 167 WIS: 18/25 +2 -2 +2 18/45

Title Commando Status 44 DEX: 18/36 +2 +2 +6 18/136
HP 391/391 Maximize Y CON: 12 +3 +2 +0 17
SP 0/0 Preserve Y CHR: 13 +2 -1 +0 14

Level 31 Armor [30,+68] Saving Throw Superb
Cur Exp 182093 Fight (+14,+25) Stealth Fair
Max Exp 182093 Melee (+26,+40) Fighting Legendary
Adv Exp 270000 Shoot (+23,+10) Shooting Legendary
MaxDepth Lev 51 Blows 6/turn Disarming Excellent
Gold 96685 Shots 1/turn Magic Device Excellent
Perception Fair
Burden 184.3 lbs Infra 0 ft Searching Fair

[...]

g) The Leather Scale Mail 'Thalkettoth' (-1) [11,+25] (+3)
It increases your dexterity by 3. It increases your speed by 3. It

cannot be harmed by the elements. It might have hidden powers.

h) a Cloak [1,+5] {+5}
i) a Small Leather Shield of Resistance [2,+9] {resistance}
It provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, and cold. It cannot
be harmed by the elements.
j) The Iron Helm 'Holhenneth' [5,+10] (+2)
It increases your intelligence and wisdom by 2. It increases your
searching by 2. It provides resistance to blindness and confusion. It
grants you the ability to see invisible things. It activates for
detection every 55+d55 turns. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
k) a Set of Cesti [5,+4] {+4}
l) a Pair of Metal Shod Boots [6,+6] {+6}

[Character Inventory]

a) a Potion of Speed
b) 4 Potions of Resist Heat
c) 9 Potions of Heroism
d) 22 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds
e) 33 Scrolls of Phase Door {@r1}
f) 8 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
g) 2 Scrolls of Recharging

h) 2 Rods of Trap Location {@z1}

i) a Rod of Disarming
j) a Rod of Light {@z3}
k) a Rod of Acid Balls
l) 3 Wands of Teleport Other (7 charges)
m) a Staff of Teleportation (6 charges) {!* 6, 10% off}
n) 2 Staffs of Perception (24 charges) {@u1}
o) a Staff of Object Location (9 charges)
p) a Staff of Detect Evil (13 charges)
q) a Ring of Strength (+3)

It increases your strength by 3. It sustains your strength.

r) The Two-Handed Sword 'Gurthang' (3d6) (+13,+17) (+2) {AzogEtc35 @w0}

It increases your strength by 2. It is especially deadly against
dragons. It is branded with fire and poison. It provides resistance
to fire and poison. It slows your metabolism and speeds your
regeneration. It grants you immunity to paralysis. It cannot be
harmed by the elements.

s) The Great Axe of Eonwe (5d4) (+15,+18) [+8] (+2)

It increases all your stats by 2. It cannot be harmed by the elements.
It might have hidden powers.

t) 23 Bolts of Flame (1d5) (+9,+7) {@f2 =g}

It is branded with fire. It cannot be harmed by fire.

u) 22 Bolts (1d5) (+0,+0) {@f1 =g}

[Home Inventory]

a) 34 Potions of Resist Heat

b) 11 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds

c) 2 Potions of Healing

d) a Potion of *Healing* {!*}
e) 5 Potions of Restore Life Levels
f) a Potion of Self Knowledge

g) 99 Scrolls of Phase Door

h) a Scroll of Teleportation

i) 35 Scrolls of Word of Recall {!*}
j) 39 Scrolls of Identify {@r1}
k) 2 Scrolls of *Identify*
l) 19 Scrolls of Enchant Weapon To-Hit
m) 11 Scrolls of Recharging

n) 16 Scrolls of Magic Mapping

o) 13 Scrolls of Object Detection
p) a Scroll of Banishment {!*}
q) 2 Rods of Illumination {@z2}
r) 2 Rods of Teleport Other
s) 2 Wands of Clone Monster (11 charges)
t) 5 Staffs of Teleportation (30 charges) {!*}
u) 5 Staffs of Detect Evil (80 charges)
v) a Ring of Resist Poison

It provides resistance to poison.

w) The Glaive of Pain (9d6) (+0,+30)
It provides resistance to fear. It cannot be harmed by the elements.

Toby

Apr 6, 2004, 6:07:23 AM4/6/04