Speed, and Poison and Nether Resistance: where are they?

Jonathan L. Ellis

Jun 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/23/97

I (Gandalf the Human Mage again) am now scumming round about 2700'.
Following to my earlier worries, a lot of artifacts came in a rush at 2000',
half a dozen or so at 2500'-ish, and recently the supply has dried up
completely even though there are *loads* more (appropriate to the level) that
are available. I was told that Rings of Speed are naturally 2500'-ish items,
boots a little earlier: so why, at 2700', have I not found *any* at all since
2000'? I got a pair of Boots of Speed (+4) and a Ring (+5), added them to
Ringil to get +19 permanent speed: and have not found a single speed item
since - which is no longer proving to be enough against heavy nether breathers
such as Nightwalkers (or is it crawlers?) and Azriel. And the uniques are
mostly at +20 speed now, and I don't like using GoI as (1) it runs out fairly
fast, and (2) I think it's a bit unfair as other character classes don't have
it or equivalent. I can't find nether resistance *anywhere*: and before you
ask, I've found just three Elvenkind things during the game (resist sound,
dark or chaos - I am wearing the latter) and NO Robes of Permanence or Cloaks
of Aman of any description. I have chaos, light, blindness (via Dor-Lomin) and
disenchantment (Calris is my spare weapon) covered, but poison still only via
the spell in Resistances as Rings of Poison Resistance haven't even turned up
in the Black Market since I was 8th level and unable to buy it, and I
can't get nether at all - with not only the wraiths and Azriel but nether and
ethereal hounds proving very tiresome. (PS. 8 Ringwraiths dead, and Fundin,
and all previous uniques except Thuringwethil who I haven't met yet. Azriel
was a bit out of depth, by one or two levels. Still no GCVs, but have been in
one Greater Traps Vault and met nothing worse than a Dracolich.)
By the way, why are there two types of creature both called "ethereal
hound", but one is able to move through walls and breathe nether where the
other has no breath weapon, does not move through walls and is infinitely
weaker in terms of hp? Maybe one should be renamed, something like "astral
hound".
Also: Why, when I have Sustain All Stats from Anarion, do Time Hounds
and Vortexes drain my stats? Sustain stats should work against *any* method of
draining, including time (and Hold Life - which I also can't find anywhere -
should likewise be, I hope, something of a proof against the time attack as
well as other draining attacks.)

Jonathan Ellis.

Roger Hoyle

Jun 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/23/97

Jonathan L. Ellis wrote:

> By the way, why are there two types of creature both called "ethereal
> hound", but one is able to move through walls and breathe nether where the
> other has no breath weapon, does not move through walls and is infinitely
> weaker in terms of hp? Maybe one should be renamed, something like "astral
> hound".

You'll be thinking of Nether hounds and Etheral hounds. They both
breathe nether, but Etheral hounds can pass through walls, and have
slightly more HPs. *much* nastier....

cheers

rog.

Eric Wright

Jun 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/23/97

Jonathan L. Ellis wrote:

> Also: Why, when I have Sustain All Stats from Anarion, do Time Hounds
> and Vortexes drain my stats? Sustain stats should work against *any* method of
> draining, including time (and Hold Life - which I also can't find anywhere -
> should likewise be, I hope, something of a proof against the time attack as
> well as other draining attacks.)

You, my friend, have fallen to a hideous pun of Angband, in
that nothing can resist the ravages of time!!! I find it
annoying, but not too deadly, if you have ESP. The vortices
can be a bitch, tho'.

Ronald the Half-a-Punk

Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97

Eric Wright wrote:

> Jonathan L. Ellis wrote:
>
> > Also: Why, when I have Sustain All Stats from Anarion, do Time Hounds
> > and Vortexes drain my stats? Sustain stats should work against *any* method of
> > draining, including time (and Hold Life - which I also can't find anywhere -
> > should likewise be, I hope, something of a proof against the time attack as
> > well as other draining attacks.)
> >
> You, my friend, have fallen to a hideous pun of Angband, in
> that nothing can resist the ravages of time!!!

I find it quite reasonable,after all,if i remember my readings
of norse mythology,time is the only thing which would eventually
bring down the gods themselves.

> I find it
> annoying, but not too deadly, if you have ESP. The vortices
> can be a bitch, tho'.

If you can detect them from far off,take care to cast door creation
before one comes near.Vortices only get through doors by bashing
them open - i.e. the vortex will only pass through the door by
moving into your melee range :)

P.S.
The original poster was complaining about there being two kinds
of Ethereal Hounds.You must be playing an old version,because there's
only one kind of them in 2.8.x.The "easy" type of them is renamed to
"Clear Hound" in recent versions.Those that pass through walls
and breathe nether got a light green colour (indicating their
breath weapon) and are the only "Ethereal Hounds" now.

To make them easier to distinguish,you could go into your
r_info.txt file (in the /lib/edit subdirectory),change their
symbol or colour and then force the game to include these
changes by deleting the file
r_info.raw from the subdirectory /lib/data

Or you could get the most recent version,Angband 2.8.1.
Hope this helps.

Wrdlbrmpft

Jun 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/25/97

Jonathan L. Ellis wrote:

> I was told that Rings of Speed are naturally 2500'-ish items,
> boots a little earlier: so why, at 2700', have I not found *any* at all since
> 2000'? I got a pair of Boots of Speed (+4) and a Ring (+5), added them to
> Ringil to get +19 permanent speed: and have not found a single speed item
> since - which is no longer proving to be enough against heavy nether breathers
> such as Nightwalkers (or is it crawlers?) and Azriel. And the uniques are
> mostly at +20 speed now,

Speed ring territory is beyond 4000'. And speed boots are very rare at
any
depth. I already had 5 winners - only one of them found one pair of
Boots of speed. And only one found Ringil (murphys law: it war the
priest),
only one found Cubragol, and none found feanor. Two or three found a
ring of speed before 4000', but none did use it much (prefered rings of
con / poison resist / int / damage / slaying).
You can deal very well with any moster, if you're at par with it when
hasted, so it doesnt get double attacks w/o a chance to react.
And you dont have to kill any monster you see just because its there -
let Azriel alive until you feel ready for him.

> I can't find nether resistance *anywhere*: and before you
> ask, I've found just three Elvenkind things during the game (resist sound,
> dark or chaos - I am wearing the latter) and NO Robes of Permanence or Cloaks
> of Aman of any description.

Two of my winners *never* had nether resistance.
Two had it only very late in the game.
Yes, one found filthy rags of elvenkind (r.nether) at 2000',
carrying it around as spare armor.

> I have chaos, light, blindness (via Dor-Lomin) and
> disenchantment (Calris is my spare weapon) covered, but poison still only via
> the spell in Resistances as Rings of Poison Resistance haven't even turned up
> in the Black Market since I was 8th level and unable to buy it, and I
> can't get nether at all - with not only the wraiths and Azriel but nether and
> ethereal hounds proving very tiresome.

You're a mage, aren't you ? Ever tried genocide ?

> Also: Why, when I have Sustain All Stats from Anarion, do Time Hounds
> and Vortexes drain my stats? Sustain stats should work against *any* method of
> draining, including time

You had lower stats when you were yonger, didn't you ?

> (and Hold Life - which I also can't find anywhere - should likewise be.)

One of my winners *never* had hold life (he finished the game with the
phial).
Its nice, but not necessary, since RLL potions are cheap and available
(stock
them at home).

> Jonathan Ellis.

Werner.

Russ Allbery

Jun 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/25/97

Ronald the Half-a-Punk <e1...@zfn.uni-bremen.de> writes:
> Eric Wright wrote:

>> You, my friend, have fallen to a hideous pun of Angband, in that
>> nothing can resist the ravages of time!!!

> I find it quite reasonable,after all,if i remember my readings of norse
> mythology,time is the only thing which would eventually bring down the
> gods themselves.

Of course, technically, this being Angband and all, shouldn't elves have
intrinsic immunity to Time? (I'm not seriously proposing this, but it
would make a degree of sense.)

Incidentally, speaking of what would be appropriate from Tolkien, did
anything ever happen to the proposal to replace the Angels and Angelic
uniques with Numenoreans? This is still (next to Farmer Maggot being
present as a villain) far and away the most annoying inconsistency with
Tolkien's works for an avid LotR fan.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@stanford.edu) <URL:http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Jonathan L. Ellis

Jun 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/26/97

Russ Allbery <r...@stanford.edu> writes:

>Incidentally, speaking of what would be appropriate from Tolkien, did
>anything ever happen to the proposal to replace the Angels and Angelic
>uniques with Numenoreans? This is still (next to Farmer Maggot being
>present as a villain) far and away the most annoying inconsistency with
>Tolkien's works for an avid LotR fan.

Never mind Numenoreans. They are already present in some numbers: the Umbar
twins were descended from the Black Numenoreans (Black in terms of deeds not
colour, I hasten to add, before a racism thread crops up) and at least three
of the Nazgul were said to be of Numenorean race.
The main dislike I have is in slaughtering things that are supposed to be
intrinsically good: such as Maggot , Bullroarer and of course the Angels. Of
course, angels can turn bad, so there isn't so much of a problem with the
lesser ones and I don't worry about fighting Azriel the Angel of Death (got
him yesterday with GoI) - and even Uriel the Angel of Fire (how often does
fire crop up as a weapon of evil?) - but Gabriel, the Messenger, one of the
greatest examples of all that is Good, behind only God and Jesus in the
heavenly hierarchy? I'd rather see, for instance, something like Lucifer the
Angel of Darkness. Along with a monster description such as: "The supreme lord
of darkness and enemy of all that is good. Although not of Middle-Earth and
thus less powerful here than in his own world, he is still a terrible enemy
to face." or something like that. And able to breathe darkness and suchlike.
As for Maggot, you could replace him with a small-time villain like Lotho
"Pimple" Sackville-Baggins. And Bullroarer with somebody like Bill Ferny. It
also irks me somewhat that Bullroarer is far less powerful than Golfimbul who
he slew with a single blow of a club.
I would also like to see added some of the Dark Elves as nasty uniques -
how about Maeglin, the Traitor of Gondolin, or his father Eol the Dark Elf?
(Both would need to drop good items - Maeglin better than Eol) but we could
make up for this addition by dropping a few uniques from elsewhere: people
like Fundin Bluecloak spring to mind, as I don't believe he's from the Tolkien
world.

Jonathan Ellis.

Ronald the Half-a-Punk

Jun 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/26/97

Jonathan L. Ellis wrote:

> Russ Allbery <r...@stanford.edu> writes:
>
> >Incidentally, speaking of what would be appropriate from Tolkien, did
> >anything ever happen to the proposal to replace the Angels and Angelic
> >uniques with Numenoreans? This is still (next to Farmer Maggot being
> >present as a villain) far and away the most annoying inconsistency with
> >Tolkien's works for an avid LotR fan.
>
> Never mind Numenoreans. They are already present in some numbers: the Umbar
> twins were descended from the Black Numenoreans (Black in terms of deeds not
> colour, I hasten to add, before a racism thread crops up) and at least three
> of the Nazgul were said to be of Numenorean race.

Yeah,but all of them are uniques.However,getting some extra
numenoreans as non-unique monsters could be a good substitute
for all the dark elven somethings - not susceptible to light,
of course,but generally a bit stronger and more apt at magic
than the standard human casters (numenoreans are Dunedain,
after all).
What i'd really like would be tolkien-based creatures
like Beorn the Old (or a mean relative of him if you think
he's too good),the winged beasts of the Nazgūl and
perhaps some more enemy-type people of the player races
(Gnome Necromancers,dwarf fighters,whatever).
Also,what about adding some more races of Orks,esp. power-
ful ones deeper in the pits? Morgoth's and Sauron's armies
were mainly orcs,and they must've been pretty good at fighting.

> The main dislike I have is in slaughtering things that are supposed to be
> intrinsically good: such as Maggot , Bullroarer and of course the Angels. Of
> course, angels can turn bad, so there isn't so much of a problem with the
> lesser ones

Ummmmm...
Who says that the *player character* is always good? If you get
Morgoth's crown,you'll be so powerful that the forces of good
would consider it highly dangerous. If you put on the crown
you will de facto be the new Lord of Darkness.

> but Gabriel, the Messenger, one of the
> greatest examples of all that is Good, behind only God and Jesus in the
> heavenly hierarchy?

Shouldn't Michal be greater or at least as great as Gavril?

> I'd rather see, for instance, something like Lucifer the
> Angel of Darkness.

Do you realize that Lucifer means "light-bringer" ?
I don't like this idea.In christianism,all fallen angels are
devils and thus can't be counted as Angels any longer (should
get the symbol "U" for major demonic beings in Angband).
Either you keep fighting angels,implying that the player
has to overcome both the forces of good and evil to reach
the goal,or you want the player to be good and take out
angels completely.

> As for Maggot, you could replace him with a small-time villain like Lotho
> "Pimple" Sackville-Baggins.

Well,Farmer Maggot wasn't particularly nice to outlandish folk
and to people who tried stealing his mushrooms :)
Mistress Sackville-Baggins (forgot her proper name) could
be a nice substitute for Bullroarer,though:keeps picking
up all kind of nice items,and if you don't look out,she'll
nick your silver spoons.

> And Bullroarer with somebody like Bill Ferny. It
> also irks me somewhat that Bullroarer is far less powerful than Golfimbul who
> he slew with a single blow of a club.
> I would also like to see added some of the Dark Elves as nasty uniques -
> how about Maeglin, the Traitor of Gondolin, or his father Eol the Dark Elf?

Maeglin definitely.I always wondered why such a villain was left
out and Gorlim the Unhappy was instead titled "Betrayer of Barahir"
and given an extremely negative description.

I think more stronger orcs (and some tougher trolls) could be
a good addition,as well as adding some more vampires and
including a good deal more different and above all powerful
werewolves - those appear to be really impressive in the
Silmarillion,and what has the game made of them? Some slow-
moving dimwits who keep picking up stuff,can't walk in a
straight line and drop dead if you look at them too hard.

Y'know here at the TMfAP a werewolf guards the premises,
and we sure can't complain about unwelcome visitors.'smatterofact,
sometimes we forget to put the wolf on the leash when the
postman brings the newest orders from the boss,and no,we
don't do this to avoid boring work,honestly ;)

D.J. Schreffler

Jun 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/26/97

On Thu, 26 Jun 1997, Jonathan L. Ellis wrote:

[snip]

> him yesterday with GoI) - and even Uriel the Angel of Fire (how often does

> fire crop up as a weapon of evil?) - but Gabriel, the Messenger, one of the

> greatest examples of all that is Good, behind only God and Jesus in the

> heavenly hierarchy? I'd rather see, for instance, something like Lucifer the

IIRC, Michael the Archangel is the most powerful angel, w/Gabriel right
behind him.

> Angel of Darkness. Along with a monster desc such as: "The supreme lord

> of darkness and enemy of all that is good. Although not of Middle-Earth and
> thus less powerful here than in his own world, he is still a terrible enemy
> to face." or something like that. And able to breathe darkness and suchlike.

Or 'Phil, the prince of insuficient light' (Darn you to heck!) <ok, so
he's from _Dilbert_ and created by Scott Adams>. :-)

> As for Maggot, you could replace him with a small-time villain like Lotho

> "Pimple" Sackville-Baggins. And Bullroarer with somebody like Bill Ferny. It

> also irks me somewhat that Bullroarer is far less powerful than Golfimbul who
> he slew with a single blow of a club.
> I would also like to see added some of the Dark Elves as nasty uniques -
> how about Maeglin, the Traitor of Gondolin, or his father Eol the Dark Elf?

> (Both would need to drop good items - Maeglin better than Eol) but we could

Sounds good.

D.J. Schreffler

Russ Allbery

Jun 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/26/97

Right. Good to see this come up again. :) Before I stopped posting to
this group some time back due to lack of time, I was one of the proponents
of an overhaul in some of the monsters to get rid of some of the more
dramatically non-Tolkien beasts. This is *not* the same as creating a
Tolkien-only Angband -- we had some discussions about that, and while I
still think it would be an interesting variant, it would change the entire
shape of the game so dramatically that it could never be done in the main
development line.

Rather, the goal was to make some *minor* changes, at least relatively
speaking, in an attempt to eliminate the elements of Angband that are the
most dramatically inconsistent with Tolkien's works and mythos. General
agreement was that the Angels were far and away the worst offenders in
that regard. Tolkien, and Angband, already *has* angels. They're called
Maiar, and fallen Maiar are Balrogs. Having both Angels and Balrogs in
the game is sort of like having both goblins and orcs (there are no
goblins in Tolkien, and therefore no goblins in Angband -- "goblin" is a
mistaken term for orc).

Jonathan L Ellis <clu...@mcc.ac.uk> writes:

> Never mind Numenoreans. They are already present in some numbers: the
> Umbar twins were descended from the Black Numenoreans (Black in terms of
> deeds not colour, I hasten to add, before a racism thread crops up) and
> at least three of the Nazgul were said to be of Numenorean race.

The reason why Numenoreans were the most popular choices for replacing the
angels is because there are no *non-unique* Numenoreans in the game,
despite the fact that they are present in great numbers in Tolkien's
works. One of the problems with making Angband closer to Tolkien is that
Angband has a *lot* more variety of monsters than Tolkien has; Numenoreans
are one of the few things present in numbers that have not already been
added to Angband.

Numenoreans from before the Fall of Numenor (see the Silmarillion for
references) would also fall at about the right power level to replace the
Angels, and there are *definitely* enough named Numenoreans in the Sil to
replace all the angelic uniques. Ar-Pharazon, King of Numenor, would make
an excellent replacement for Gabriel, to the point where I personally
don't think that any of Gabriel's powers and abilities would even have to
be changed (except Summon Angel would change to Summon Numenorean).

> The main dislike I have is in slaughtering things that are supposed to

> be intrinsically good: such as Maggot, Bullroarer, and of course the
> Angels.

Right. There has always been this problem as well.

My personal opinion is that Farmer Maggot is so firmly engrained into
Angband's history and feel that there's no way we'll ever get rid of him,
or even change the name. Bullroarer may be a bit easier; he isn't as
widely known and named, and would be a reasonable one to replace. But I
actually don't mind killing good creatures nearly as much as running into
things that, by their very existence, totally contradict Tolkien mythology
(as opposed to creatures like Tiamat who aren't from Tolkien mythology but
who *could* be if you pushed it -- although on that score, one thing that
I've always objected to is having Tiamat be more powerful than Ancalagon).

> I would also like to see added some of the Dark Elves as nasty
> uniques - how about Maeglin, the Traitor of Gondolin, or his father Eol
> the Dark Elf?

The Kinslayers have always been my choice to use to replace some of the
more dramatically non-Tolkien high-level uniques, but I'm not sure if
that's ever going to happen. Most of those uniques have a rather firm
place in Angband (like the Phoenix) and aren't easily replaced with an
Elf. That may have to wait for an all-Tolkien variant.

> people like Fundin Bluecloak spring to mind, as I don't believe he's
> from the Tolkien world.

Fundin Bluecloak doesn't bother me since, as I recall, that was the name
of one of the first characters to ever defeat Angband and kill Morgoth.
Having him permanently enshrined as a unique is appropriate.

Stephen Lee

Jun 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/26/97

In article <m3g1u53...@windlord.Stanford.EDU>,

Russ Allbery <r...@stanford.edu> wrote:
>Right. Good to see this come up again. :) Before I stopped posting to
>this group some time back due to lack of time, I was one of the proponents
>of an overhaul in some of the monsters to get rid of some of the more
>dramatically non-Tolkien beasts. This is *not* the same as creating a
>Tolkien-only Angband -- we had some discussions about that, and while I
>still think it would be an interesting variant, it would change the entire
>shape of the game so dramatically that it could never be done in the main
>development line.
[snip]

Well, actually, the regular monster list could use an overhaul too (do
you know how *old* that is? The only real change I know of is that
seedy looking humans no longer exist.) I think that should be done before
uniques, really (though adding Gimilkhad, Ar-Pharazon, Mauhur, Maeglin,
Eol, probably the sons of Feanor as *non-evil* uniques, etc. would be
appropriate; removing the unique A's, Vecna, and Bullroarer).

It's probably a big enough project to require a mailing list.

As for the "non-Tolkien" part: I'll find monsters from "classical"
mythology acceptable, as long as they don't threaten to overwhelm the game.
The only egregious non-unique exception to this is the Green Glutton Ghost,
and that's been in the game since before Angband even existed.

Something needs to be done to "spread" out the monsters over the dungeon
more: too much concentration early on, particularly the rapid increases
in difficulty in the 2000'-2500' range. Also, many types of monsters can
be "stretched": Uruk-Hai should be pretty studly, I think; ditto for
other monsters, such as giants and vampires, high-level "p" opponents, etc.

E.g. for "d" and "D" I had something in mind:

(1) Ages: Baby/Young/Mature/Old/Ancient/Great Wyrm (not all used for all
types)
(2) Types: law/balance/chaos; white/black/blue/green/red/multi-hued/
copper/silver/gold/crystal/mithril/adamantium; death

(the reworking of the metal dragons is to make things more consistent;
and of course dragons wouldn't be the wusses they often are, with
appropriate depth adjustments)

For "p" you can add high-level mages and fighters, both of which seem to
be absent from the game. "P" could expand perhaps: not just Frost
Giants, but Frost Giant Warriors, Shamans, and Lords as well, for instance.
(Applying monster rarity rules would be important here; don't want more
Frost Giant Lords than ordinary Frost Giants :).

"L" monsters aren't powerful enough at the lower levels, IMO. "V" needs
to be expanded; the power level of "o" and "T" should probably be
expanded over more levels.

Some monsters are overpowered: dracolisks, wereworms, maybe dracoliches
and gravity/impact/ethereal hounds need some toning down, especially if
we're going to beef up other critters.

It's possible to go on and on. I've been thinking of starting a project
to make a brand new monster list, but this is such a staggering effort
(even with lots of people working together) that I'm hesitant to do so
unless there's a lot of interest, particularly on the part of Ben or a
variant maintainer to include it in a release, since I don't want such
effort to not be playable.

What do people think?

--
Stephen S. Lee (ssj...@netcom.com), prospective molecular biologist

Note: this message has been protected from prying eyes by the application
of two rounds of the ROT-13 encryption technique.

David R. Henry

Jun 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/26/97

Jonathan L. Ellis writes:

> I would also like to see added some of the Dark Elves as nasty uniques -
>how about Maeglin, the Traitor of Gondolin, or his father Eol the Dark Elf?

>(Both would need to drop good items - Maeglin better than Eol) but we could

>make up for this addition by dropping a few uniques from elsewhere: people

>like Fundin Bluecloak spring to mind, as I don't believe he's from the Tolkien
>world.

Actually, Fundin Bluecloak was the first character to solve the game, and
the great Charlie Ball was his creator. Bluecloak was immortalized within
the game itself to piss off the rest of us, a trait Mr. Ball certainly would
have no trouble agreeing with. :)

--
dhe...@plains.nodak.edu
To say I was doing better would be to admit the possibility of admitting

Jonathan L. Ellis

Jun 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/27/97

In article <5outhm$n...@plains.NoDak.edu> dhe...@plains.NoDak.edu (David R. Henry) writes:
>From: dhe...@plains.NoDak.edu (David R. Henry)
>Subject: Re: Killing "good" rather than "evil" creatures: why?
>Date: 26 Jun 1997 18:21:26 -0500

>Jonathan L. Ellis writes:

>> I would also like to see added some of the Dark Elves as nasty uniques -
>>how about Maeglin, the Traitor of Gondolin, or his father Eol the Dark Elf?
>>(Both would need to drop good items - Maeglin better than Eol) but we could
>>make up for this addition by dropping a few uniques from elsewhere: people
>>like Fundin Bluecloak spring to mind, as I don't believe he's from the Tolkien
>>world.

>Actually, Fundin Bluecloak was the first character to solve the game, and
>the great Charlie Ball was his creator. Bluecloak was immortalized within
>the game itself to piss off the rest of us, a trait Mr. Ball certainly would
>have no trouble agreeing with. :)

I believe a character called "Iggy" was similarly immortalised in Moria
as "the Evil Iggy" - and for the same reason. I like the story also of how the
Balrog was first beaten with some kind of trick which has since been
prevented: I wonder if Iggy's creator was the inventor of the pillar dance -
and nearly fell of his chair next time when the Balrog came straight *through*
the wall...

Jonathan Ellis.

D.J. Schreffler

Jun 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/27/97

On 26 Jun 1997, Russ Allbery wrote:

[snip]

> Right. Good to see this come up again. :) Before I stopped posting to
> this group some time back due to lack of time, I was one of the proponents
> of an overhaul in some of the monsters to get rid of some of the more
> dramatically non-Tolkien beasts. This is *not* the same as creating a
> Tolkien-only Angband -- we had some discussions about that, and while I
> still think it would be an interesting variant, it would change the entire
> shape of the game so dramatically that it could never be done in the main
> development line.
>

> Rather, the goal was to make some *minor* changes, at least relatively
> speaking, in an attempt to eliminate the elements of Angband that are the
> most dramatically inconsistent with Tolkien's works and mythos. General
> agreement was that the Angels were far and away the worst offenders in
> that regard. Tolkien, and Angband, already *has* angels. They're called
> Maiar, and fallen Maiar are Balrogs. Having both Angels and Balrogs in
> the game is sort of like having both goblins and orcs (there are no
> goblins in Tolkien, and therefore no goblins in Angband -- "goblin" is a
> mistaken term for orc).

Minor nitpick....IIRC, Bilbo and company get captured by goblins in the
Hobbit.

D.J. Schreffler, who is currently looking for the 5000' spellbook

Frank Muzzulini

Jun 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/27/97

Ronald the Half-a-Punk <e1...@zfn.uni-bremen.de> writes:

> Yeah,but all of them are uniques.However,getting some extra
> numenoreans as non-unique monsters could be a good substitute
> for all the dark elven somethings - not susceptible to light,
> of course,but generally a bit stronger and more apt at magic
> than the standard human casters (numenoreans are Dunedain,
> after all).

The dark elves aren't tolkienesk either. They are from AD&D like many
other monsters in Angband (Coloured Dragons e.g). The descriptions of
dark elves given in 2.7.8 showed that clearly. Is that why these
description vanished?

> Also,what about adding some more races of Orks,esp. power-
> ful ones deeper in the pits? Morgoth's and Sauron's armies
> were mainly orcs,and they must've been pretty good at fighting.

They were pretty numerous before all. And they are already strong
fighters. An Uruk or Orc captain is about as strong as a hardend
warrior. After all, angband character *can not* be measured in terms
of Tolkien. No men nor elf can ever hope to kill Morgoth, according to
the Silmarillion.

Muzz

--
___ Frank Muzzulini Kaiserstr. 1 76131 Karlsruhe mu...@pond.sub.org
<*,*> ... until the colour of a man skin is of no more

Russ Allbery

Jun 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/27/97

From the rec.arts.books.tolkien FAQ:

1) What was the relationship between Orcs and Goblins?

They are different names for the same race of creatures. Of the
two, "Orc" is the correct one. This has been a matter of widespread
debate and misunderstanding, mostly resulting from the usage in _The
Hobbit_ (Tolkien had changed his mind about it by LotR but the confusion
in the earlier book was made worse by inconsistant backwards
modifications). There are a couple of statements in _The Hobbit_ which,
if taken literally, suggest that Orcs are a subset of goblins. If we
are to believe the indications from all other areas of Tolkien's
writing, this is not correct. These are: some fairly clear statements
in letters, the evolution of his standard terminology (see next
paragraph), and the actual usage in LotR, all of which suggest that
"Orc" was the true name of the race. (The pedigrees in _Tolkien: The
Illustrated Encyclopedia_ are thoroughly innaccurate and undependable.)

What happened was this. The creatures so referred to were invented
along with the rest of Tolkien's subcreation during the writing of the
Book of Lost Tales (the "pre-Silmarillion"). His usage in the early
writing is somewhat varied but the movement is away from "goblin" and
towards "orc". It was part of a general trend away from the terminology
of traditional folklore (he felt that the familiar words would call up
the wrong associations in the readers' minds, since his creations were
quite different in specific ways). For the same general reasons he
began calling the Deep Elves "Noldor" rather than "Gnomes", and avoided
"Faerie" altogether. (On the other hand, he was stuck with "Wizards",
an "imperfect" translation of Istari ('the Wise'), "Elves", and
"Dwarves"; he did say once that he would have preferred "dwarrow",
which, so he said, was more historically and linguistically correct, if
he'd thought of it in time ...)

In _The Hobbit_, which originally was unconnected with the
Silmarillion, he used the familiar term "goblin" for the benefit of
modern readers. By the time of LotR, however, he'd decided that
"goblin" wouldn't do -- Orcs were not storybook goblins (see above).
(No doubt he also felt that "goblin", being Romance-derived, had no
place in a work based so much on Anglo-Saxon and Northern traditions in
general.) Thus, in LotR, the proper name of the race is "Orcs" (capital
"O"), and that name is found in the index along with Ents, Men, etc.,
while "goblin" is not in the index at all. There are a handful of
examples of "goblin" being used (always with a small "g") but it seems
in these cases to be a kind of slang for Orcs.

Tolkien's explanation inside the story was that the "true" name of
the creatures was Orc (an anglicized version of Sindarin *Orch* ,
pl. *Yrch*). As the "translator" of the ancient manuscripts, he
"substituted" "Goblin" for "Orch" when he translated Bilbo's diary, but
for The Red Book he reverted to a form of the ancient word.

[The actual source of the word "orc" is Beowulf: "orc-nass",
translated as "death-corpses". It has nothing to do with cetaceans.]

Russ Allbery

Jun 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/27/97

Frank Muzzulini <mu...@albatross.pond.sub.org> writes:

> They were pretty numerous before all. And they are already strong
> fighters. An Uruk or Orc captain is about as strong as a hardend
> warrior. After all, angband character *can not* be measured in terms of
> Tolkien. No men nor elf can ever hope to kill Morgoth, according to the
> Silmarillion.

Oh, yeah, there's no hope of total Tolkien accuracy, as would be expected.
No one short of one of the Valar could hope to defeat Morgoth, and in the
Sil it took the combined might of all of the Valar. (Keep in mind that
Morgoth is essentially Tolkien's equivalent of Lucifer / Satan.) But that
doesn't stop people like me from wanting to shuffle things around a bit to
make them a bit closer. :)

(Here's another one that will probably never change but that's always
bothered me -- Ungoliant in Tolkien is *way* more powerful than Sauron.
She represented the ultimate in non-thinking evil creatures in the Sil,
she consumed the Two Trees, and she fought Morgoth himself essentially to
a stand-still. She's no where *NEAR* powerful enough in Angband, and
should be a *LOT* deeper than she is. Having Draugluin and Gothmog, let
alone Lungorthin, Murazor, and the *Mouth* of all people, more powerful
than Ungoliant is absurd.)

Joseph William Dixon

Jun 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/27/97

D.J. Schreffler (boo...@u.washington.edu) wrote:
: > the game is sort of like having both goblins and orcs (there are no

: > goblins in Tolkien, and therefore no goblins in Angband -- "goblin" is a
: > mistaken term for orc).

: Minor nitpick....IIRC, Bilbo and company get captured by goblins in the
: Hobbit.

I look at it this way: Orc (Orch/Uruk) is the proper name for the race,
BUT the inhabitants of Eriador/Arnor [where the Shire is located],
especially the Hobbits, use different names for the different sub-races -
goblin for the inhabitants of the Misty Mountains (and its surrounds),
hobgoblin for the Orcs from the far north, and orc for the rest. [yes, all
3 terms were used in The Hobbit]

/-----------------------------------------------------------------\
| "Chef of Chicanery, your buns are mine!" | aa...@chebucto.ns.ca |
| [The Tick vs. The Breadmaster] | Gumby | Team AMIGA |
\-----------------------------------------------------------------/

Jonathan L. Ellis

Jun 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/28/97

In article <m3wwnf2...@windlord.Stanford.EDU> Russ Allbery <r...@stanford.edu> writes:

>(Here's another one that will probably never change but that's always
>bothered me -- Ungoliant in Tolkien is *way* more powerful than Sauron.
>She represented the ultimate in non-thinking evil creatures in the Sil,
>she consumed the Two Trees, and she fought Morgoth himself essentially to
>a stand-still. She's no where *NEAR* powerful enough in Angband, and
>should be a *LOT* deeper than she is. Having Draugluin and Gothmog, let
>alone Lungorthin, Murazor, and the *Mouth* of all people, more powerful
>than Ungoliant is absurd.)

Not too absurd in the case of the Balrogs. It was, after all, Gothmog who came
to Morgoth's rescue and defeated her when Ungoliant turned against him: and,
remember, he had been very much weakened by using so much of his power, and
she was much stronger than normal owing to having drunk of the light of the
Two Trees.

Jonathan Ellis.

Chris Kern

Jun 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/28/97

ssj...@netcom.com (Stephen Lee) wrote:

>It's possible to go on and on. I've been thinking of starting a project
>to make a brand new monster list, but this is such a staggering effort
>(even with lots of people working together)

I think a mailing list is a good idea. I will gladly participate in
this effort.

-Chris
Remove "junkmail" in my return address to reply.

Matt Craighead

Jun 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/28/97

Stephen Lee wrote:

> In article <m3g1u53...@windlord.Stanford.EDU>,
> Russ Allbery <r...@stanford.edu> wrote:
> >Right. Good to see this come up again. :) Before I stopped posting to
> >this group some time back due to lack of time, I was one of the proponents
> >of an overhaul in some of the monsters to get rid of some of the more
> >dramatically non-Tolkien beasts. This is *not* the same as creating a
> >Tolkien-only Angband -- we had some discussions about that, and while I
> >still think it would be an interesting variant, it would change the entire
> >shape of the game so dramatically that it could never be done in the main
> >development line.
> [snip]
>
> Well, actually, the regular monster list could use an overhaul too (do
> you know how *old* that is? The only real change I know of is that
> It's possible to go on and on. I've been thinking of starting a project
> to make a brand new monster list, but this is such a staggering effort
> (even with lots of people working together) that I'm hesitant to do so
> unless there's a lot of interest, particularly on the part of Ben or a
> variant maintainer to include it in a release, since I don't want such
> effort to not be playable.
>
> What do people think?

Ummm... for those interested in this... here's a blast from the past.
Big, but WELL worth reading. I don't agree with ALL of it, but it is
very, very interesting. Message size -> Netscape acting funny, so I
will follow up again.

--
Matt Craighead
Utumno developer: http://www.citilink.com/~craighea/utumno/

Matt Craighead

Jun 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/28/97

Well, I'm all for it. In particular, I have wanted to replace the
monster list in Utumno for some time with an improved one. I am wholly
open to being part of such a project. See my other post, also.

Sorry to keep making posts referring to others... BUT... if that Utumno
user forum (which I am about to make a post about) ever happens, this
is a subject that I want to discuss.

Stephen Lee

Jun 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/29/97

Right. Here are my comments:

I'd rather not have a wave of "Tolkien purity" hit the monster list. WRT
the uniques, there is room for adding quite a few more without having to
remove many of the current ones. I think the only current *uniques* that
definitely should be removed are Bullroarer and the unique A's (along
with all of the other A's), and probably Vecna (the only TSR critter in
Angband whose name and basic identity were invented by TSR AFAIK).

I think that making a new *regular*-monster listing is much more pressing,
though. It's not as glamorous as adding uniques, but it just is
something that Should Be Done. There are just too many oddities in the
current list of regular monsters IMO.

As I mentioned, though, I'm hesitant to do much without a groundswell of
support and someplace to put this list when we're done.

Could anyone interested in making an effort to contribute to a new list
e-mail me (unless you've already posted expressing interest)? I'm not
sure how to even run a mailing list short of just Cc'ing everyone on the
list (there will probably be few enough people so that I can do that,
though).

In particular, I'd like the comments of Ben, or a major and current
variant maintainer like Greg.

Scorpius

Jun 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/29/97

Stephen Lee wrote in article ...

>In article <m3g1u53...@windlord.Stanford.EDU>,
>Russ Allbery <r...@stanford.edu> wrote:

Snip

>It's possible to go on and on. I've been thinking of starting a project
>to make a brand new monster list, but this is such a staggering effort
>(even with lots of people working together) that I'm hesitant to do so
>unless there's a lot of interest, particularly on the part of Ben or a
>variant maintainer to include it in a release, since I don't want such
>effort to not be playable.
>
>What do people think?
>

>--
>Stephen S. Lee (ssj...@netcom.com), prospective molecular biologist
>
>Note: this message has been protected from prying eyes by the application
>of two rounds of the ROT-13 encryption technique.

If there really is enough interest for a reworked monster list, and there
are enough suggestions, I'll be willing to use them in one of the
future versions of Quest Angband (At the moment I still have some
other things I want to put in first).

So please let me know.

Heino Vander Sanden

Heino.Van...@Ping.Be

From all the things I've lost,
I miss my mind the most.

Greg Wooledge

Jun 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/29/97

On Sun, 29 Jun 1997 02:35:54 GMT, Stephen Lee <ssj...@netcom.com> wrote:

>I think that making a new *regular*-monster listing is much more pressing,
>though. It's not as glamorous as adding uniques, but it just is
>something that Should Be Done. There are just too many oddities in the
>current list of regular monsters IMO.

All too true. :-(

Ben has stated a few times in the past that eventually he wants to create
base monster types for all the uniques, so that uniques will just be
hyped-up, named instances of base monsters. For example, Rogrog the
Black Troll would be a heavy-duty version of a new "black troll" race.

I'd wait for Ben's comments and status report before proceeding too far
with this project.

>Could anyone interested in making an effort to contribute to a new list
>e-mail me (unless you've already posted expressing interest)?

I might contribute a little bit, but I think you and Matt (and maybe Ben)
will be the major players.
--
------- wool...@kellnet.com -------

Matthew C Neumann

Jun 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/30/97

I like the idea of having to overcome both the forces of good and evil
to become the new master of Angband; how about adding an anti-Morgoth
who also needs to be slaughtered (Imagine running into both of them at
the same time; Ouch!)?

Matt Neumann