[V] YAWP dwarf paladin autoscum ironman randart

Eddie Grove

Aug 1, 2001, 3:27:47 PM8/1/01

Dwarf paladin using ironman and randart birth options, along with
autoscumming every level. This is my first game using priest spells,
so I cast alter reality once to find out what it does, and didn't
cast it again since it offends my sense of what ironman means.

I consider it cheating to fire/spell on an immobile opponent
[e.g. Q] that does not have line-of-sight back to me. I did use
clone monster wands to farm balance wyrms and death quasits
when it caught my fancy.

I completely cleared every level, except for a couple of out-of-level
uniques, who were killed later. I think I skipped only Gabriel
[didn't have disenchant resist] and Lungorfin [*way* out of depth].
Didn't find the phial until Dlevel 17. Completed stat gain around
Dlevel 61. The scariest moment was one time I had to face an AMHD
without any form of poison resistance [must kill ALL monsters!].

The biggest problems I had were confusion resistance [can't go to the
store and buy Cure Critical potions in ironman mode] and the -2 Dex
penalty for being a dwarf. Being used to the standard artifacts, I
had no idea the Dex penalty would matter after stat gain. My "early"
sources of confusion resistance were bronze dragon scale mail found at
Dlevel 46 and then chaos dragon scale mail at Dlevel 69. For
elemental resists, had shield of resist cold and had to use an
artifact dagger resisting fire or Neglorie [resist acid and elec]
until Dlevel 61 when found a shield of resistance. Must have resisted
acid some other way too. When it rains it pours. Feagwath gave me 3
items of resist confusion [ two bows, chaos scale ] when killed on
level 86.

I think Ironman mode makes randarts less fun. It was interesting to
have to minimize inventory slot usage to carry the artifacts that
might be useful in the future, but it would be more fun to have the
old artifacts at home to show up in dumps.

The cure spells were surprisingly powerful. In the battle versus
Morgoth I hardly used much of anything. 5 healing potions, 2 restore
mana potions, 1 scroll of mass genocide, and 2 potions of speed. I
didn't use a *healing* or *life* potion the entire game -- saved for
the end and didn't need them. Or maybe my speed was munchkinlike.

Typically, when dropping a level, half the slots were artifacts, and
I only carried 4 slots of spell books. Of the deep books, only
Godly Insights was a must-carry. Orb of Draining is so powerful
that I didn't really ever need to use a bow/xbow after the early game.

Below is a dump from after killing Sauron [who didn't drop any useful
items]. It gives an idea of what it was like for the latter part
of the game:

[Angband 2.9.1 Character Dump]

Name Skriller Self RB CB EB Best
Sex Male Age 37 STR! 18/100 +2 +3 +3 18/180
Race Dwarf Height 47 INT! 18/100 -3 -3 +4 18/80
Class Paladin Weight 143 WIS! 18/100 +2 +1 +5 18/180
Title Paladin Lord Status 79 DEX! 18/100 -2 +0 +6 18/140
HP 1066/1066 Maximize Y CON! 18/100 +2 +2 +8 18/220
SP 401/401 Preserve Y CHR! 18/100 -3 +2 +0 18/90

Level 50 Armor [13,+114] Saving Throw Heroic
Cur Exp 20282504 Fight (+40,+35) Stealth Fair
Max Exp 20282504 Melee (+54,+50) Fighting Legendary
Adv Exp ******** Shoot (+50,+10) Shooting Legendary
Blows 7/turn Disarming Superb
Gold 1530364 Shots 1/turn Magic Device Heroic
Perception Poor
Burden 494.6 lbs Infra 190 ft Searching Fair

You are one of two children of a Dwarven Priest. You are a
well liked child. You have dark brown eyes, straight black
hair, a two foot beard, and a dark complexion.

[Character Equipment]

a) a Lochaber Axe of Extra Attacks (3d8) (+14,+15) (+2 attacks) {lungorfin86}
-Never saw anything better, Dex penalty made it hard to wield for max attacks.
-Only used on Sauron and Morgoth and a couple Wyrms to get in practice. :)

b) The Light Crossbow of Eargol (x3) (+10,+10) (+3) {feagwath86}
It can be activated for...
door and trap destruction
...if it is being worn.
It affects your shooting power.
It provides resistance to confusion.
It provides resistance to disenchantment.
It slows your metabolism.
-So nice to use this instead of body armor to resist confusion/disenchant.

c) a Marble Ring of Speed (+16) {dqORdl98}
d) a Malachite Ring of Slaying (+9,+14) {graveyard8?}
-hmm - Think I switched this for Damage +17 or +18.

e) The Amulet of Finque {level 67}
It can be activated for...
dispel evil (x5)
...if it is being worn.
It sustains your wisdom.
It provides resistance to fire.
It provides resistance to poison.
It provides resistance to dark.
It provides resistance to shards.
f) The Star of Fuing (+2) {level 55}
It can be activated for...
magic mapping
...if it is being worn.
It provides light (radius 3) forever.
It affects your wisdom.
It affects your infravision.
It sustains your dexterity.
g) The Robe of Armentur [2,+25] (+3) {level84}
It affects your intelligence.
It affects your dexterity.
It sustains your dexterity.
It provides resistance to acid.
It provides resistance to electricity.
It provides immunity to fire.
It provides resistance to cold.
It provides resistance to poison.
It provides resistance to dark.
It provides resistance to blindness.
It provides resistance to nether.
It slows your metabolism.
It speeds your regenerative powers.
It provides resistance to life draining.
It aggravates nearby creatures.
-Often used Umbarsil instead.

h) The Cloak of Glosse [1,+15] (+3) {vault44}
It affects your wisdom.
It affects your stealth.
It provides resistance to sound.
It speeds your regenerative powers.
i) The Small Leather Shield of Sormen [2,+16] (+1) {level82}
It can be activated for...
identify
...if it is being worn.
It affects your intelligence.
It affects your constitution.
It sustains your intelligence.
It sustains your constitution.
It provides resistance to acid.
It provides resistance to electricity.
It provides resistance to fire.
It provides resistance to cold.
It slows your metabolism.
It speeds your regenerative powers.
-Swapped this for a shield of Deflection with big plusses vs Morgoth.

j) a Golden Crown of Might [0,+11] (+3) {vault61}
-Needed for max hitpoints [if only Sormen were +2 Con] & swinging axe.
-Usually used Urienwe.

k) The Set of Gauntlets of Panrufin (+9,+7) [2,+17] (+4) {floor29 +9+7 +17}
It affects your constitution.
It sustains your constitution.
It provides resistance to blindness.
It allows you to see invisible monsters.
l) The Pair of Metal Shod Boots 'Curuind' [6,+21] (+12) {level40}
It can be activated for...
genocide
...if it is being worn.
It affects your infravision.
It affects your speed.
It sustains your intelligence.
It sustains your charisma.
It provides resistance to dark.
It provides resistance to chaos.
It induces feather falling.
It provides immunity to paralysis.
-I guess the game was essentially won when I got this, though lack of
-confusion/disenchant resistance kept me on my toes for a while.

[Character Inventory]

a) 24 Holy Books of Prayers [Words of Wisdom]
b) 39 Holy Books of Prayers [Chants and Blessings]
c) 42 Holy Books of Prayers [Exorcism and Dispelling]
d) a Holy Book of Prayers [Godly Insights] {dracolisk43}
e) a Holy Book of Prayers [Purifications and Healing]
f) 56 Viscous Pink Potions of Speed
g) 32 Purple Potions of Healing
h) 14 Blue Potions of *Healing*
i) 9 Cloudy Potions of Life
j) 39 Pungent Potions of Restore Mana
-Saved these all game in case I felt like trying "sea of runes",
-then wasn't in the mood.

k) 6 Scrolls titled "a fabu srival" of *Identify*
l) 11 Scrolls titled "aks ereur" of Mass Genocide
m) The Necklace of Salantin (+3) {icewyrm97}
It affects your charisma.
It sustains your charisma.
It provides resistance to light.
It provides resistance to chaos.
It provides resistance to life draining.
n) The Robe of Umbarsil [2,+14] (+5) {level84}
It affects your dexterity.
It affects your stealth.
It affects your infravision.
It affects your speed.
It provides resistance to acid.
It provides resistance to electricity.
It provides resistance to cold.
It provides resistance to chaos.
It gives telepathic powers.
o) The Robe of Angil [2,+21] (+4) {vault63}
It affects your charisma.
It affects your stealth.
It affects your infravision.
It sustains your charisma.
It provides immunity to acid.
It provides resistance to electricity.
It provides resistance to fire.
It provides resistance to cold.
It provides resistance to dark.
It provides resistance to shards.
It provides resistance to life draining.
p) The Soft Studded Leather 'Lodrim' [5,+25] (+4) {AMHD90}
It affects your constitution.
It affects your searching.
It sustains your wisdom.
It sustains your constitution.
It provides resistance to acid.
It provides resistance to fire.
It provides resistance to light.
It provides resistance to dark.
It provides resistance to nexus.
It provides resistance to nether.
It provides resistance to life draining.
It aggravates nearby creatures.
q) The Cloak 'Morme' [1,+14] (+2) {nightcrawler72}
It can be activated for...
fire branding of bolts
...if it is being worn.
It affects your intelligence.
It affects your stealth.
It provides resistance to acid.
It provides resistance to dark.
It provides resistance to nexus.
It provides immunity to paralysis.
r) a Shadow Cloak of Protection [6,+30] {ckrbd89}
s) The Iron Crown of Urienwe [0,+12] (+3) {dracolisk46}
It affects your wisdom.
It affects your charisma.
It affects your speed.
It sustains your charisma.
It provides resistance to blindness.
It provides resistance to sound.
It gives telepathic powers.
-My normal helm, but needed crown of might to get full swings with axe.

t) The Set of Leather Gloves of Golauglin (+4,+3) [1,+20] (+5) {ckrbd89}
It affects your dexterity.
It affects your infravision.
It sustains your wisdom.
It provides immunity to paralysis.
u) The Set of Leather Gloves of Elomith (+6,+6) [1,+13] (+3) {dqORdl98}
It can be activated for...
confuse monster
...if it is being worn.
It affects your wisdom.
It affects your dexterity.
It provides resistance to fire.
It provides immunity to paralysis.
-Kept the gloves in case needed the Dex source. Never used them.

v) The Ball-and-Chain of Neglorie (8d4) (+14,+14) {solarvault52}
It is especially deadly against natural creatures.
It does extra damage from electricity.
It sustains your wisdom.
It provides resistance to acid.
It provides resistance to electricity.
It provides resistance to blindness.
It provides resistance to shards.
It speeds your regenerative powers.
-Main weapon for second half of the game.

w) The Pick of Ellirhur (1d3) (+11,+11) (+3) {level62 orig+4+4}
It can be activated for...
frost bolt (12d8)
...if it is being worn.
It affects your strength.
It affects your ability to tunnel.
It affects your attack speed.
- *** THAT IS +3 ATTACKS ***
It sustains your strength.
It provides permanent light.
It allows you to see invisible monsters.
-Randarts forced me to carry a pick! Used this to kill most
-lightning-resistant creatures besides Sauron and Morgoth.
-The system needs changing when a pick is the best weapon. :)

[Options]

Adult: Allow purchase of stats using points : no (adult_point_based)
Adult: Allow specification of minimal stats : yes (adult_auto_roller)
Adult: Maximize effect of race/class bonuses : yes (adult_maximize)
Adult: Preserve artifacts when leaving level : yes (adult_preserve)
Adult: Restrict the use of stairs/recall : yes (adult_ironman)
Adult: Restrict the use of stores/home : no (adult_no_stores)
Adult: Restrict creation of artifacts : no (adult_no_artifacts)
Adult: Randomize some of the artifacts : yes (adult_rand_artifacts)
Score: Peek into object creation : no (score_peek)
Score: Peek into monster creation : no (score_hear)
Score: Peek into dungeon creation : no (score_room)
Score: Peek into something else : no (score_xtra)
Score: Know complete monster info : no (score_know)
Score: Allow player to avoid death : no (score_live)

Kalirion

Aug 2, 2001, 10:00:56 AM8/2/01
Wow! Even after modifying the .txt file to make id and restor stats
more common I've never made it past 850' with even a Troll Warrior
(which I think, though I could be wrong, is the most munchkinish char
for the beginning of the game). Congrats!

Werner Baer

Aug 2, 2001, 1:35:57 PM8/2/01

Eddie Grove <eddie...@hotmail.SPAM.com> wrote in message news:m3lml36...@brain.el.nec.com...

> Dwarf paladin using ironman and randart birth options, along with
> autoscumming every level.

Congratulations.
But i'm very surprised that you managed to get enough
*id* for a randart game.
I play levels more than once, and can stock unidentified things at home,
and *id* is often very short.

> Must have resisted acid some other way too.

Not necessary.
Acid damage is halved by armor.
Just remembered this with my current priest -
at 1800' with 250 HP and without resist acid.

> The cure spells were surprisingly powerful.

They are even more powerful when you play a priest.
There's a big difference between 5% an 0% fail.

> w) The Pick of Ellirhur (1d3) (+11,+11) (+3) {level62 orig+4+4}

> - *** THAT IS +3 ATTACKS ***

> -Randarts forced me to carry a pick! Used this to kill most

> -lightning-resistant creatures besides Sauron and Morgoth.
> -The system needs changing when a pick is the best weapon. :)

I had several characters with a pick as a main weapon.
For example, a (pure spellcaster) mage use a shovel for its
cold immunity.

But i don't know if it is correct that priests can wield
a pick without penalty (but i'm sometimes happy that i can)

Werner.

Eddie Grove

Aug 2, 2001, 2:08:52 PM8/2/01
"Werner Baer" <werne...@gmx.de> writes:

> Eddie Grove <eddie...@hotmail.SPAM.com> wrote in message news:m3lml36...@brain.el.nec.com...
>
> > Dwarf paladin using ironman and randart birth options, along with
> > autoscumming every level.
>
> Congratulations.
> But i'm very surprised that you managed to get enough
> *id* for a randart game.
> I play levels more than once, and can stock unidentified things at home,
> and *id* is often very short.

Yes - it was surprising to me too. Early on, I had to do some serious
work, using self knowledge holding 2 or 3 artifacts, and then
experimenting to see which resists/sustains [a use for potions of
weakness and paralysis etc] were on which object. Actually, this was
another disadvantage of being a dwarf -- couldn't test elvenkind etc
for Rblind by eating a mushroom of blindness. Later I always would
use self knowledge first on things I expected to throw away. For
the last quarter of the game, I managed to keep hold of about 7 *id*'s
on average.

I also never [well once for experience] used destruction or earthquake
and hardly ever genocided anything that could carry objects. I was
careful to genocide X's and E's in vaults before they destroyed
things.

Maybe it was from the number of D's and A's and U's I killed.
Since I didn't cheat(*) with summoners, lots and lots of monsters got
summoned. Sometimes when holding an artifact and no *id*, was rather
slow in closing with summoners :). And Gabriel was a pain, I might
have had to kill 300-400 [not exaggerating, certainly 200] A's before
I finally finished him and his progeny. For a noticeable part of the
game I squelched all wands except clone monster, which I was willing
to use (but not recharge) when in the mood.

My best guess is that I got the *id*s from the monster drops from
assorted pits, which are pretty common when autoscumming.

Maybe the answer is your repeated levels. I would not be surprised
that artifacts on the ground outnumber *id*s on the ground, but the
reverse could be true of dropped objects. Just a thought.

Eddie
(*) who thinks shooting summoners who don't have reverse LOS is cheating

Andrew Doull

Aug 3, 2001, 8:28:31 PM8/3/01

> "Werner Baer" <werne...@gmx.de> writes:
>
> > Eddie Grove <eddie...@hotmail.SPAM.com> wrote in message

[snip discussion about rarity of *id*]

> Yes - it was surprising to me too. Early on, I had to do some serious
> work, using self knowledge holding 2 or 3 artifacts, and then
> experimenting to see which resists/sustains [a use for potions of
> weakness and paralysis etc] were on which object. Actually, this was
> another disadvantage of being a dwarf -- couldn't test elvenkind etc
> for Rblind by eating a mushroom of blindness. Later I always would
> use self knowledge first on things I expected to throw away. For
> the last quarter of the game, I managed to keep hold of about 7 *id*'s
> on average.

FYI: Unangband 0.4.3 uses exactly this combination of self-knowledge
and experimenting to help you determine what powers your items
have. I don't feel its too much more 'cheating' than having a monster
memory, but it identifies most powers pretty quickly. Unfortunately,
the internal flags and the partial identifications are not saved at the
moment so you have to effectively go through the process again
every time you restart.

drew...@gmail.com

May 5, 2017, 6:07:56 PM5/5/17

You still get messages on this thread?

Have personally had a hell of a time with ironman once I get to the 2550' range. I find the uniques difficult to manager at this depth with that level of experience.

How many types of character have you beaten ironman on?

This is vanilla, correct? Looks like I am playing on version 4.0.5 right now.

Thanks,

--
Drew

Eddie Grove

May 6, 2017, 8:59:34 PM5/6/17
I am still subscribed to r.g.r.a. Wow, this is an old thread.
My dump to start this thread was from version 2.9.1.

I haven't played much for 1 or 2 years. Before that, when I was playing
it was primarily ironman in my own personal variant that is
substantially harder than 3.1 or any later version. I've beaten ironman
with every class playing artifactless using a playstyle of descending
rapidly.

If you are having trouble, I think the easiest classes to play are
paladin and priest since most people rely on unlimited healing. I think
Timo used to recommend rangers, which are now even more overpowered with
the quiver. The highly skilled player can do better with a mage.

My main piece of advice is to remember that there is always more better
stuff deeper in the dungeon. Even in ironman, it pays to avoid some
fights. Some vaults are better ignored. If you have specific questions,
or want comments on dumps, I'll be happy to answer if you post to r.g.r.a.

Everybody else is at http://angband.oook.cz/ My methods have gained in
popularity over the years to the point where they are dogma, but the
last time I participated on oook I felt that only a few people posting
there really understood what they were talking about at an expert level.
OTOH, the game has changed enough that when it comes to specifics you
can't fully trust my advice.

Eddie

Matthew Vernon

May 8, 2017, 5:18:47 AM5/8/17
Eddie Grove <eddie...@hotmail.com> writes:

> I am still subscribed to r.g.r.a. Wow, this is an old thread.
> My dump to start this thread was from version 2.9.1.

I'm still reading, too :)

Matthew

--
`O'-----0 `O'---. `O'---. `O'---.

Timo Pietilä

Jun 20, 2017, 2:13:42 AM6/20/17
On 8.5.2017 12:18, Matthew Vernon wrote:
> Eddie Grove <eddie...@hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> I am still subscribed to r.g.r.a. Wow, this is an old thread.
>> My dump to start this thread was from version 2.9.1.
>
> I'm still reading, too :)

Same here. Very quiet group nowadays.

Timo Pietilä