control/interface problems

David Chmelik

Oct 19, 2023, 2:37:02 AM10/19/23
Moria/Angband used to work fine years/decades ago but sometimes at/after
switch to 64-bit then more playing in X Window System, problems appeared.
On XFCE Slackware64 15+current (64-bit) in X terminals (xterms) and
Angband's X mode, some buttons do strainge things. For example, when I
try to walk in a direction, sometimes it only runs (at least Angband)
which was actually a same problem as when I converted Super Rogue and the
final version of Hack to use the number pad. That usually stops happening
after a while in Angband. Another thing in Moria/Angband, <ESC> in menus
seems to do nothing, though Moria 5.6 at least flashes cursor showing I
pressed <ESC> but for some reason it's not processed (making me have to ^C
and restart game after every menu). I usually use KDE Konsole. Should I
use a different xterm or do these games need some recoding for modern
interfaces? The walk action doing running was also a problem on pure
(non-X) terminals (ttys).