Angband Beginner Questions

Evan L. Schemm

Feb 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/11/98

I am playing Angband 2.8.2 'straight out of the box' for X11/Linux. I
have four questions that I have been unable to find answers for:

1) In my book(s) of Beginiing Magic, two spells are illegible. I tried
to buy another copy, but got the same thing. Is this supposed to be that
way?

2) When I type angband (to start it), The angband window pops up followed
by 7 other windows. I assume these are the workbench windows I have seen
mentioned. How do I use them?

Related question: Is it possible from the command line to NOT have them come
up? I play at work sometimes from source sitting at home. There is only a
28.8 link between them, so 7 extra windows slows things down.

3) I am running an Elf Mage, and her strength is currently only 10 (level 9
character). This means that after a while of exploring, she gets loaded down,
which tends to make her SLOW (-10 anyone?). I assume that increasing her
strength will fix this, or using a ring of speed... How does one raise these
attributes? The section on perserve mode mentions potions... I found a potion
of berserk strength, but it did not seem to change by str. The speed potions
I drink only seem to last a little while.

4) I bought a couple of scrolls entitled enchant weapon to dam. This increased
the damage modifier for the weapon (I saw the earlier post on how this works).
Is this effect permenant? I bought 4 of these, but only two worked. The
weapon in question is a Cutlass (1d7) and after the 2 scrolls is [+5, +7].
What is the limiting factor on enchantments?
2 per item?
a +7?
the two failures were just luck, there is no limit (but not all scrolls
work 100% of the time)
something else entirely.

Thanks for the help. Not to annoy moria fans, but this seems to be a lot more
playable than I remember moria being (but that was 6 years ago).

Schemm

Wallace Q. Bear

Feb 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/11/98

Evan L. Schemm (elsc...@mtu.edu) jotted down:
ELS: 1) In my book(s) of Beginiing Magic, two spells are illegible. I tried
ELS: to buy another copy, but got the same thing. Is this supposed to be that
ELS: way?

Bet you aren't playing your Elf Mage and finding illegible spells.
Those spells are ones that rogues/paladins/rangers cannot use, for play
balance purposes.

ELS: 3) I am running an Elf Mage, and her strength is currently only 10 (level
ELS: 9 character). This means that after a while of exploring, she gets loaded
ELS: down, which tends to make her SLOW (-10 anyone?). I assume that
ELS: increasing her strength will fix this, or using a ring of speed...
ELS: How does one raise these attributes? The section on perserve mode
ELS: mentions potions... I found a potion of berserk strength, but it did
ELS: not seem to change by str. The speed potions I drink only seem to
ELS: last a little while.

Going below about -3 speed gets very dangerous. I wouldn't recommend it.
Increasing strength or adding speed items will, indeed, help your
situation. Potions of increase attribute are found mostly at and after
1500' (excepting charisma, which is a level 1000' item), it'll take you
a while yet. Berserk strength and potions of speed (and indeed, most
potions) are temporary items.

ELS: 4) I bought a couple of scrolls entitled enchant weapon to dam. This
ELS: increased the damage modifier for the weapon (I saw the earlier post
ELS: on how this works).
ELS: Is this effect permenant? I bought 4 of these, but only two worked. The
ELS: weapon in question is a Cutlass (1d7) and after the 2 scrolls is [+5, +7].
ELS: What is the limiting factor on enchantments?

Yes, these are permanent. The failure rate for these scrolls rises
exponentially, with a practical limit somewhere at about (+10,+10).

ELS: Thanks for the help. Not to annoy moria fans, but this seems to be
ELS: a lot more playable than I remember moria being (but that was 6 years ago).

No problemo. You should check out the FAQ (parts 1 and 2) that Ben
posts regularly. They're still available on the MTU newsfeed (somewhere
around line 91, currently). Oh, and don't worry about offending the
Moria folks - they get their own "lesser traveled" newsgroup.

Neal
Neal R. Stangis is a grad student in the ME department
http://www.me.mtu.edu/~nrstangi/ check for frequent updates
finger -l nrst...@gradlab0.me.mtu.edu to see what's been added to the site

Brian Judd

Feb 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/11/98

Evan,

We'll see what I can help out with . . . maybe a spoiler or two in here . . .

Evan L. Schemm wrote:

> I am playing Angband 2.8.2 'straight out of the box' for X11/Linux. I
> have four questions that I have been unable to find answers for:
>

> 1) In my book(s) of Beginiing Magic, two spells are illegible. I tried

> to buy another copy, but got the same thing. Is this supposed to be that

> way?

I assume you are playing a mage. The rogue, ranger, and mage share the same
spellbooks. The two illegible spells are ones the rogue gets that you don't get as
a mage. I'm not going to tell you what they are, you can start a rogue and look
that up.

> 2) When I type angband (to start it), The angband window pops up followed
> by 7 other windows. I assume these are the workbench windows I have seen
> mentioned. How do I use them?
>
> Related question: Is it possible from the command line to NOT have them come
> up? I play at work sometimes from source sitting at home. There is only a
> 28.8 link between them, so 7 extra windows slows things down.

By pressing the '=' key you can set a ton o' options. One of them should be
(W)indow flags. By flagging you can have your equipment, inventory, and other
goodies show up in these windows. Very useful so you don't have to press 'i' or 'e'
all the time to figure out what to sell, drop, destroy. I'm not sure what the
command line option is to kill them for Linux. I never play remotely.

> 3) I am running an Elf Mage, and her strength is currently only 10 (level 9
> character). This means that after a while of exploring, she gets loaded down,
> which tends to make her SLOW (-10 anyone?). I assume that increasing her
> strength will fix this, or using a ring of speed... How does one raise these
> attributes? The section on perserve mode mentions potions... I found a potion
> of berserk strength, but it did not seem to change by str. The speed potions
> I drink only seem to last a little while.

Ouch (-10) is *SLOW*. Stop carrying really heavy stuff with you. A lot of it is
probably worthless junk. Increasing strength increases your carrying capacity
which in turn does not clow you down nearly so much. You shouldn't waste potions
of speed to keep you away from -10 speed. I use these potions for a boost from 0
to +10 for dealing with uniques faster than you. Strength potions (1500') will
permanently increase your strength. Many artifacts boost strength. Also, rings of
strength will be a big help to your character. They won't appear in the dungeon
yet where you are but they turn up in the BM fairly frequently.

> 4) I bought a couple of scrolls entitled enchant weapon to dam. This increased
> the damage modifier for the weapon (I saw the earlier post on how this works).

> Is this effect permenant? I bought 4 of these, but only two worked. The

> weapon in question is a Cutlass (1d7) and after the 2 scrolls is [+5, +7].

> What is the limiting factor on enchantments?

> 2 per item?
> a +7?
> the two failures were just luck, there is no limit (but not all scrolls
> work 100% of the time)
> something else entirely.

I'm not sure of exact upper limit but it is difficult and time consuming for me to
go past (+9, +9). I stop at +8 usually. Theoretically you can go higher though
there (depending on variant is an upper limit). Yes, failure rate increases the
more enchanted you make it which is why getting from 6 to 7 is not nearly as hard
as getting from 8 to 9. Most posts here advise going to +9,+9 and stopping though
scrolls of *enchant foo* can help push it higher if you're all maxxed out and have
cash and scrolls to burn . . .

> Thanks for the help. Not to annoy moria fans, but this seems to be a lot more

> playable than I remember moria being (but that was 6 years ago).
>

> Schemm

I like Moria also, but I've been hooked on Angband for quite some time now.

Brian Judd

Chris Feldmann

Feb 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/11/98

In article <6bt402$a...@werner.cs.mtu.edu>, elsc...@mtu.edu says...

>I am playing Angband 2.8.2 'straight out of the box' for X11/Linux. I
>have four questions that I have been unable to find answers for:
>

>1) In my book(s) of Beginiing Magic, two spells are illegible. I tried
>to buy another copy, but got the same thing. Is this supposed to be that
>way?

Only Rogues can use those two spells. I believe that they're find treasure and
find objects or something. Rogues, Rangers, and Paladins have certain spell
restrictions also. Rogues can't use damage spells (except MAYBE in the highest
book- I don't remember). Rangers and Paladins are restricted from some of the
higher level spells. There is no way that your mage will ever be able to learn
these spells but they're not too important so I wouldn't worry about it.

>2) When I type angband (to start it), The angband window pops up followed
>by 7 other windows. I assume these are the workbench windows I have seen
>mentioned. How do I use them?
>
>Related question: Is it possible from the command line to NOT have them come
>up? I play at work sometimes from source sitting at home. There is only a
>28.8 link between them, so 7 extra windows slows things down.

No idea on both counts. I'm still running an old fashioned 2.7.9v4.

>3) I am running an Elf Mage, and her strength is currently only 10 (level 9
>character). This means that after a while of exploring, she gets loaded down,
>which tends to make her SLOW (-10 anyone?). I assume that increasing her
>strength will fix this, or using a ring of speed... How does one raise these
>attributes? The section on perserve mode mentions potions... I found a potion
>of berserk strength, but it did not seem to change by str. The speed potions
>I drink only seem to last a little while.

Either strength or speed will fix this problem. Speed can be gained
temporarily from spells, potions, staves, etc... If you want permanent speed it
comes from Boots of Speed, Rings of Speed, and certain artifacts. Berserk
Strength temporarily gives you increased hp, fighting, and (I think)
bows/throws. To check this look in your character sheet. (Shft C) If you
want to increase your strength, you can drink potions of Strength (Other "Stat
Potions" for other stats of course). This is a permanent increase. You can't
get higher than 18/100 unless you are using maximize mode and then it's based
on your race and class. If your stats have been lowered by something (a trap,
ghost, jelly, etc...) you can restore them with a restore strength (or other
appropriate stat) potion. Don't drink a Stat potion when your stats are
lowered. I think it won't raise their max. I believe that Str, Con, and Dex
are found at 1500' and Wis and Int are found at 1600'. Chr is found much
earlier. You can also buy these in the Black Market. Also some equipment
(rings, gauntlets of power, and certain artifacts) gives you increased
strength. This is permanent as long as you are wearing the equipment. For now
you may want to try to carry only those things that are essential. Next level
you should get identify. Use this on all items and destroy the ones that are
just normal and definitely destroy the ones that are cursed.

>4) I bought a couple of scrolls entitled enchant weapon to dam. This
increased
>the damage modifier for the weapon (I saw the earlier post on how this works).
>Is this effect permenant? I bought 4 of these, but only two worked. The
>weapon in question is a Cutlass (1d7) and after the 2 scrolls is [+5, +7].
>What is the limiting factor on enchantments?
> 2 per item?
> a +7?
> the two failures were just luck, there is no limit (but not all
scrolls
> work 100% of the time)
> something else entirely.

These scrolls have a chance to succeed. I don't know what the percent is. The
max that you can enchant things up to is +10 (I think). When you try to
enchant to +8 it gets tough. +9 tougher and I don't know if I've ever bothered
getting anything to +10. These bonuses can be lowered by disenchantment and,
in the case of armor, acid. If you have resistance to disenchantment you
should be ok and if you have immunity to acid your armor cannot be reduced by
that. You won't get these until much later though. For now, keep restoring
them when they get low.

Ben Harrison

Feb 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/11/98

Compile yourself Angband 2.8.3 (if needed) and then use the newfangled
"subopts" method, as so:

./angband -g -uFred -mx11 -- -n2

This example will activate graphics, use the "Fred" savefile, and then
run Angband using the "main-x11.c" support file (if compiled in), with
exactly two windows (including the main window).

Similar methods can easily (?) be added for "main-xaw.c".

Use the "=" + "W" command to specify what goes in each window.

--- Ben ---

elsc...@mtu.edu (Evan L. Schemm) writes:

> I am playing Angband 2.8.2 'straight out of the box' for X11/Linux. I
> have four questions that I have been unable to find answers for:

Wallace Q. Bear

Feb 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/11/98

Shamona & Lara (sw...@australia.net.au) jotted down:
In article <6bt5pb$i...@phylab1.phy.mtu.edu>, Neal...@bigfoot.com wrote:
NRS: > Oh, and don't worry about offending the
NRS: > Moria folks - they get their own "lesser traveled" newsgroup.

Sham: I was a devoted fanatic of JAMoria - until I came across Angband. I think
Sham: that although Moria was great, Angband's better! Angband has all that
Sham: Moria had and more, as well as vastly increased playability. (Kangband's
Sham: the best of all as it has such a huge variety of things to do, such as
Sham: quests, the gambling saloon, the inn, the Library, the Towers, and so on.
Sham: Zangband comes a close second, since it has a vast variety of Magic. Ah,
Sham: but why choose - let's just play them all! :)

UMoria 5.whatever got me introduced to Angband. There's no going back
now! I like Psiband just because it's similiar to vanilla but also
hyper challenging at the start, plus adds in some really neat
spells/powers. I, too, just died however (see YASD post). I think I'll
be waiting for 1.0.6 Psiband before restarting. Heck, it's time to get
more writing done on the old thesis, I suppose.

Neal
-=*=- -=*=- -=*=- -=*=- -=*=- -=*=- -=*=- -=*=- -=*=- -=*=- -=*=- -=*=- -=*=-

Neal R. Stangis is a grad student in the ME department
http://www.me.mtu.edu/~nrstangi/ check for frequent updates

finger -l nrst...@harbor.me.mtu.edu to see what's been added to the site

Sabrina

Feb 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/11/98

Hi there! Hope I can help some, I've just played Angband & Moria for a little
while:

Evan L. Schemm wrote:

> I am playing Angband 2.8.2 'straight out of the box' for X11/Linux. I
> have four questions that I have been unable to find answers for:
>

> 1) In my book(s) of Beginiing Magic, two spells are illegible. I tried
> to buy another copy, but got the same thing. Is this supposed to be that
> way?

Yup. I think in old Moria those two letters in the first book weren't used, so
people just got used to pushing "mai" for a stinking cloud, so they don't want to
mess up the book. All the other books are fine.

> 2) When I type angband (to start it), The angband window pops up followed
> by 7 other windows. I assume these are the workbench windows I have seen
> mentioned. How do I use them?

Push the = button, and you can set all the options! After =, push the number for
windows options, then toggle what you want in each window.

> Related question: Is it possible from the command line to NOT have them come
> up? I play at work sometimes from source sitting at home. There is only a
> 28.8 link between them, so 7 extra windows slows things down.

I don't know.

> 3) I am running an Elf Mage, and her strength is currently only 10 (level 9
> character). This means that after a while of exploring, she gets loaded down,
> which tends to make her SLOW (-10 anyone?). I assume that increasing her
> strength will fix this, or using a ring of speed... How does one raise these
> attributes? The section on perserve mode mentions potions... I found a potion
> of berserk strength, but it did not seem to change by str. The speed potions
> I drink only seem to last a little while.

Have you got down to 1250 feet yet? When you do, you will find lots of "Potion of
Strength"s, and you just quaff them and sometimes they raise you one stat or two.

Meanwhile, I suggest you just pick up the good stuff, drop 'em in your home, and
keep going down for more.

Hey! I'm an Elf Mage too. Good choice! And I'm wearing a ring of str +4 until I
can get down to 1250 feet. Yup, I still get slowed down - but only (-4)
sometimes.

> 4) I bought a couple of scrolls entitled enchant weapon to dam. This increased
> the damage modifier for the weapon (I saw the earlier post on how this works).
> Is this effect permenant? I bought 4 of these, but only two worked. The
> weapon in question is a Cutlass (1d7) and after the 2 scrolls is [+5, +7].
> What is the limiting factor on enchantments?
> 2 per item?
> a +7?
> the two failures were just luck, there is no limit (but not all scrolls
> work 100% of the time)
> something else entirely.

If the enchantment works, then it's permanent. (Unless a disenchanter eye or
something disenchants it back down again.) About 1 in 3 (?) enchantments will
fail. In Cutlass (1d7), the +5 increases your hits, and the +7 increases the
damage you can do. I think the limit is about +15 damage for only a 1d7 weapon,
or maybe it's +10. I dunno, but the more you try to raise it, the harder it gets.

Cool note: If you push "C" anytime, you can see your character record. Oh, and
if you push "~" you see lots more stuff.

> Thanks for the help. Not to annoy moria fans, but this seems to be a lot more
> playable than I remember moria being (but that was 6 years ago).
>
> Schemm

I used to play Moria too. :) I like the colors in Angband now.

Oh, and I've found an excellent Angband page of information:

http://www.ldr.com/~chris/angband/

P.S. I've never posted to a news group before, so pwease don't laugh at me for
doing something funny (if I have). :)

Have a nice day,

Sabrina

Greg Wooledge

Feb 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/12/98

On 11 Feb 1998 17:34:56 -0500, Ben Harrison <be...@phial.com> wrote:

> ./angband -g -uFred -mx11 -- -n2

(for X11)

>Similar methods can easily (?) be added for "main-xaw.c".

With main-xaw, I'd recommend a totally different approach. The XAW
module uses "standard" Xdefaults, so you can define the number of windows,
their size and location, fonts, etc., in your ~/.Xdefaults file.

For example,

angband*angband*font: 9x15
angband*angband*geometry: +300+220
angband*recall*font: 7x13
angband*term-1*font: 7x13
angband*recall*geometry: 80x15+460+0
angband*term-1*geometry: 80x15+460+0
angband*choice*font: 7x13
angband*term-2*font: 7x13
angband*choice*geometry: +0+440
angband*term-2*geometry: +0+440
angband*mirror*font: 7x13
angband*term-3*font: 7x13
angband*mirror*geometry: 80x15+460+590
angband*term-3*geometry: 80x15+460+590
angband*color6: #3070f0
angband*color7: #907027
angband*term-4*iconic: true
angband*term-5*iconic: true
angband*term-6*iconic: true
angband*term-7*iconic: true

If you aren't familiar with Xdefaults, they can be a bit confusing.
Finding documentation for them isn't easy, either. I've found that trial
and error works best in getting a good setup for your system and tastes.

Shamona & Lara

Feb 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/12/98

In article <6bt5pb$i...@phylab1.phy.mtu.edu>, Neal...@bigfoot.com wrote:
> Oh, and don't worry about offending the
> Moria folks - they get their own "lesser traveled" newsgroup.

I was a devoted fanatic of JAMoria - until I came across Angband. I think

that although Moria was great, Angband's better! Angband has all that

Moria had and more, as well as vastly increased playability. (Kangband's

the best of all as it has such a huge variety of things to do, such as

quests, the gambling saloon, the inn, the Library, the Towers, and so on.

Zangband comes a close second, since it has a vast variety of Magic. Ah,

but why choose - let's just play them all! :)

Shamona who is lost in Angband :)

Website for spiritual development:
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~reverent
Website about the Swami:
http://www.australia.net.au/~swami
"This generation will have to repent, not so much for the evil deeds of the wicked people, but for the appalling silence of the good people"
- Martin Luther King

Shimpei Yamashita

Feb 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/12/98

Evan L. Schemm <elsc...@mtu.edu> writes:

>I am playing Angband 2.8.2 'straight out of the box' for X11/Linux. I
>have four questions that I have been unable to find answers for:
>
>1) In my book(s) of Beginiing Magic, two spells are illegible. I tried
>to buy another copy, but got the same thing. Is this supposed to be that
>way?

Yes. The two illegible spells are for rogues (who have their own set
of illegible spells).

>2) When I type angband (to start it), The angband window pops up followed
>by 7 other windows. I assume these are the workbench windows I have seen
>mentioned. How do I use them?

Control-= to bring up the preferences screen, followed by W.

>Related question: Is it possible from the command line to NOT have them come
>up? I play at work sometimes from source sitting at home. There is only a
>28.8 link between them, so 7 extra windows slows things down.

Not AFAIK. You can always play it from within an xterm window, of
course, or play it locally on whatever computer you have at home
(Angband is available for most architectures you're likely to be using).

>3) I am running an Elf Mage, and her strength is currently only 10 (level 9
>character). This means that after a while of exploring, she gets loaded down,
>which tends to make her SLOW (-10 anyone?). I assume that increasing her
>strength will fix this, or using a ring of speed... How does one raise these
>attributes? The section on perserve mode mentions potions... I found a potion
>of berserk strength, but it did not seem to change by str. The speed potions
>I drink only seem to last a little while.

Potions of Strength won't show up on a regular basis until around 1500'
(level 30) or so. It's a loooong way down. Rings of speed are far deeper
than even that.

>4) I bought a couple of scrolls entitled enchant weapon to dam. This increased
>the damage modifier for the weapon (I saw the earlier post on how this works).
>Is this effect permenant? I bought 4 of these, but only two worked. The
>weapon in question is a Cutlass (1d7) and after the 2 scrolls is [+5, +7].
>What is the limiting factor on enchantments?
> 2 per item?
> a +7?
> the two failures were just luck, there is no limit (but not all scrolls
> work 100% of the time)
> something else entirely.

The absolute limit is [+15,+15]. The realistic limit is [+9,+9]--the
probability of success drops dramatically after that.

>Thanks for the help. Not to annoy moria fans, but this seems to be a lot more
>playable than I remember moria being (but that was 6 years ago).

You should try playing something besides mages until you get used to
the system; mage is probably the hardest class for a beginner to play.
Try warriors, Dwarven priests, Half-Troll priests, Half-Orc rogues, or
Dunadan paladins instead. If you really want to play a mage, start
with a High-Elven one and aim for at least 12 STR and 18/50 INT in the
beginning.

--
Shimpei Yamashita <http://www.patnet.caltech.edu/%7Eshimpei/>
The address I have listed in the headers is a working address. It just

FBC Houlford

Feb 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/12/98

Chris Feldmann (cfel...@vt.edu) wrote:
: Only Rogues can use those two spells. I believe that they're find treasure and
: find objects or something. Rogues, Rangers, and Paladins have certain spell
: restrictions also. Rogues can't use damage spells (except MAYBE in the highest
: book- I don't remember). Rangers and Paladins are restricted from some of the
: higher level spells. There is no way that your mage will ever be able to learn
: these spells but they're not too important so I wouldn't worry about it.

No, no. Paladins don't have spell restrictions, they can use any of the
priest spells which makes them almost dual class characters. I'm currently
running a paladin and it basically works like a warrior with spells.

Rogues can use two of the lesser damage spells in Raal's, Cloud Kill and
another, I forget which.

-Ben

da' sweet talker

Feb 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/12/98

FBC Houlford wrote:

> Chris Feldmann (cfel...@vt.edu) wrote:
> : Only Rogues can use those two spells. I believe that they're find treasure and

> : find objects or something. Rogues, Rangers, and Paladins have certain spell
> : restrictions also. Rogues can't use damage spells (except MAYBE in the highest
> : book- I don't remember). Rangers and Paladins are restricted from some of the
> : higher level spells. There is no way that your mage will ever be able to learn
> : these spells but they're not too important so I wouldn't worry about it.
>
> No, no. Paladins don't have spell restrictions, they can use any of the
> priest spells which makes them almost dual class characters. I'm currently
> running a paladin and it basically works like a warrior with spells.
>
> Rogues can use two of the lesser damage spells in Raal's, Cloud Kill and
> another, I forget which.

Acid Bolt is the other rogue damage spell.

And in response to the earlier weapon enchantment text: Assuming you're
in vanilla angband, the max is around (+15,+15). It is, however, nearly
impossible to get that high. Practical max is (+10,+10), some dedicated
people have reported getting things up to +11 or +12 even, although most
leave it alone at (+9,+9).

FBC Houlford

Feb 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/13/98

Shimpei Yamashita (shimpei+this+address+i...@socrates.caltech.edu) wrote:
:[snip]
: You should try playing something besides mages until you get used to

: the system; mage is probably the hardest class for a beginner to play.
: Try warriors, Dwarven priests, Half-Troll priests, Half-Orc rogues, or
: Dunadan paladins instead. If you really want to play a mage, start
: with a High-Elven one and aim for at least 12 STR and 18/50 INT in the
: beginning.

Let me just elaborate on that point. Mages are indeed the hardest class to
play as a beginner, _however_ one you get past stat gain they become much
easier and for the experienced player at deep levels they are the easiest
class to play. Warriors, on the other hand, are very easy to play in the
shallow levels as a beginner but after stat gain become very tricky and
are possibly the hardest class to win with.

Shimpei's advice is good. You could try a high-elf warrior or maybe a
human paladin or dwarf priest.

-Ben Houlford

Jonathan Ellis

Feb 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/26/98

Sabrina wrote:

> Hi there! Hope I can help some, I've just played Angband & Moria for
> a little
> while:
>
> Evan L. Schemm wrote:
>

> > I am playing Angband 2.8.2 'straight out of the box' for X11/Linux.
> > have four questions that I have been unable to find answers for:
> >
> > 1) In my book(s) of Beginiing Magic, two spells are illegible. I
> tried
> > to buy another copy, but got the same thing. Is this supposed to be
> that
> > way?

> Yup. I think in old Moria those two letters in the first book weren't
> used, so
> people just got used to pushing "mai" for a stinking cloud, so they
> don't want to
> mess up the book. All the other books are fine.

No. In Moria, those two spells (Detect Objects, Detect Treasure) did not
exist, and stinking cloud was m-a-g. These two spells are for rogues
only (rogues of course should have spells of detect object and treasure
so they know where to steal from...) It's annoying, having mages unable
to read spells from a mage spellbook, but there you go.

> > 3) I am running an Elf Mage, and her strength is currently only 10
> (level 9
> > character). This means that after a while of exploring, she gets
> loaded down,
> > which tends to make her SLOW (-10 anyone?). I assume that
> increasing her
> > strength will fix this, or using a ring of speed... How does one
> raise these

> > attributes? The section on preserve mode mentions potions... I

> found a potion
> > of berserk strength, but it did not seem to change by str. The
> speed potions
> > I drink only seem to last a little while.

> Have you got down to 1250 feet yet? When you do, you will find lots

> of "Potion of Strength"s, and you just quaff them and sometimes they
> raise you one stat or two.

This has been changed since Moria, where the potions of gaining
various different stats were all found at 1250' and were actually rarer
at deeper depths as well as shallower ones... Potions of Charisma
have a natural level of 1000' (i.e. rare before that depth, more common
after that.) Potions of Strength, Intelligence, Wisdom, Dexterity and
Constitution are all 1500' items. They become comparatively rarer as you
go deeper, but this is easily more than offset by the fact that far more
objects are generated: the best place to look is a couple of levels on
either side of 1750'. Also, whenever you can, buy potions of Strength
(to carry objects), Constitution (for hp) and Intelligence (you are a
mage) in the Black Market whenever you can if your stats are below about
18/50. Potions of these six types - or "Augmentation", affecting all six
stats, if you are lucky enough to find one - raise your stats
permanently.

> Hey! I'm an Elf Mage too. Good choice!

High-elves are even better. Better stats, and they see invisible - no
more flailing about trying to hit that ghost in the wall that you can't
see. You do need more XP to gain levels, though.

> And I'm wearing a ring of str +4 until I can get down to 1250 feet.
> Yup, I still get slowed down - but only (-4) sometimes.

You shouldn't carry even that much if you are wandering around the
dungeon. Drop the heaviest stuff and never go below speed 0 (-1 or -2
maybe) if you can help it until you are ready to recall to the surface
with a Word of Recall scroll. THEN pick up your heavy stuff, and read
the scroll immediately. And the heavy stuff is not always the best: a
Sabre (+6, +7) beats a non-enchanted Two-Handed Sword, and a Dagger of
Slay Troll beats both. You will have the Identify spell at level 11. Use
it on everything, no matter how high the failure rate. Best of all,
set the auto-roller at the start and don't start the game without a
strength of at least 11 even if you are a mage (10 for gnomes whose
strength is *appalling*, 12 for High-Elves or Dunedain.)

> > 4) I bought a couple of scrolls entitled enchant weapon to dam.
> This increased
> > the damage modifier for the weapon (I saw the earlier post on how
> this works).
> > Is this effect permenant? I bought 4 of these, but only two
> worked. The
> > weapon in question is a Cutlass (1d7) and after the 2 scrolls is
> [+5, +7].

> > What is the limiting factor on
> enchantments?
> > 2 per item?

> NO
> > a +7?
> NO
> > something else entirely. YES

Scrolls of Enchant Weapon (to-hit or to-dam) don't work all the time.
The higher the enchantment goes, the greater the chance of failing.
Getting it to +8 is fairly easy. Getting it to +10 is the practical
limit. +15 is the absolute limit, but as the chance goes down to less
than 1% once the enchantment is at +10 or more, it's unlikely. But it's
permanent unless you run into a monster which hits to disenchant (or
breathes disenchantment...) Enchant Armor works the same way, in that
the maximum practical limit is +10. Some items will have an
enchantment of over +10 or even over +15. Look out for those...

> Cool note: If you push "C" anytime, you can see your character
> record. Oh, and
> if you push "~" you see lots more stuff.

> > Thanks for the help. Not to annoy moria fans, but this seems to be

> a lot more
> > playable than I remember moria being (but that was 6 years ago).

> > Schemm

I like the lower fail rate on the Identify spell, and the fact that (at
last!) other characters stand some chance of being able to find out
which equipment is worth keeping. (Tried playing a rogue, paladin,
ranger or warrior? You'll get particular feelings about objects much
quicker - "special" for artifacts, "great" for items with powers, "good"
for pluses, "normal" for normal, "cursed" for cursed items, "worthless"
for heavily cursed items which need a *Remove Curse* scroll to get rid
of, and "terrible" for cursed artifacts - some of which are in fact
rather good. Mages and priests only get "good", "cursed" and "normal",
but priests get the feeling quickly. Mages and Rangers are slow - but
they have the Identify spell in a book that can be bought in the
town.) Oh, and there's the chance of getting poison resistance as
well. No more of that "The Ancient Multi-Hued Dragon breathes gas. You
die." from off-screen. You can get your hp over 693 (the maximum AMHD
poison breath damage) anyway - that is, with help from lots of items and
being at high level.

> I used to play Moria too. :) I like the colors in Angband now.

There were versions of color Moria (though the last upgrade, 5.5.2, is
monochrome only: the best color version is 5.4.x)

> Oh, and I've found an excellent Angband page of information:
>
> http://www.ldr.com/~chris/angband/

I can point you to an even better one:http://www.phial.com/angband
The official site, maintained by the official Angband maintainer, Ben
Harrison.

> P.S. I've never posted to a news group before, so please don't laugh

> at me for
> doing something funny (if I have). :)

Ha! Ha! Ha! :o)

> Have a nice day,