Re: Utumno by craig head

David Chmelik

Oct 11, 2023, 7:58:10 PM10/11/23
On Mon, 13 Feb 2023 10:44:20 -0800 (PST), crashoppe wrote:

> i have been playing this game for a very long time. i still enjoy it a
> lot. i cant seem to understand which weapons are better than others.
> could someone please explain:

The word 'cant' predates the abbreviation "can't" and they differ; you
probably didn't say what you intended to mean.

> total damage 1d1+1 1d4+7 2d5+3 etc

Those means one one-sided die plus one, and one four-sided die plus seven,
and two five-sided die plus three. You can calculate from these.

> hit bonus +2 +8 +12 etc

Self-explanatory.

> thank you so much in advance!

You're welcome.

Julian

Oct 12, 2023, 1:28:20 PM10/12/23
Put simply, D & D has three weapons. Diablo II has over 1000. Blizzard is making bank because they've gone beyond flail longsword and spear. For example, a Blizzard weapon might look like

Iron Trident of the Wolf and then also a color code to indicate rarity.

In D & D, you'll be using the same weapon at level 17 as you did when you were level 2 because it's absent variety.
--
|\/|andrake

David Chmelik

Oct 13, 2023, 8:47:43 PM10/13/23
On Thu, 12 Oct 2023 10:28:19 -0700 (PDT), Julian wrote:
> Put simply, D & D has three weapons.

No, Dungeons & Dragons has hundreds of weapons, and with the various types
of enchantments, thousands--more than any videogame.

> In D & D, you'll be using the same weapon at level 17 as you did when
> you were level 2 because it's absent variety.

That's unlikely and false. You've never played it, have you? (the
original book & paper & pencil & dice roleplaying game, not the videogame)

Julian

Oct 14, 2023, 10:47:56 AM10/14/23
Why can't we have one hundred person parties then?

Julian

Oct 14, 2023, 3:29:54 PM10/14/23
It's because they've exhausted the job supply. Flails are used to cause uncursed damage, spears are for thieves (going in their front and thrusting out the other side of their body), and longswords are for dumb barbarians . Each party is a Swiss Army Knife covering the bases. If you had one hundred participants, ninety of them would stand around yawning. When I played D & D, the DM was like a fruit fly in the time allocation. They chew up all the creative energy on some schtick then do a pisspoor job of the rest of making a realm where the player can "do anything they want." You talk about rules lawyers. These DMs are rule judges. Creatively speaking, I want a garrote, a sickle and a cross. But what I really have, contrary to your protestations, are a halberd and a handful of adventurers who can't be seen by light of of day because of the shady jewel thefts they perpetually engage in, your Honor.