Fangband 2.0

The Cure

Jan 11, 1994, 3:59:37 AM1/11/94
Don't want to sound silly, but what happened to Fangband 2.0 that was
supposed to be all the rage, and out by now?

James C W Price

Jan 11, 1994, 8:43:26 AM1/11/94
In article <CJGJn...@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> cu...@sage.cc.purdue.edu (The Cure) writes:
>Don't want to sound silly, but what happened to Fangband 2.0 that was
>supposed to be all the rage, and out by now?
I asked the same thing before Christmas - apparently it's RealSoonNow-ware!
Fangband 1.0 is great, 2.0 should be even better! Go DGK!!

James Price. | We want OS/2 for Win! We want OS/2 for Win!
j.c.w...@qmw.ac.uk | We want OS/2 for Win! We want OS/2 for Win!
---------------------
Now I lay me down to sleep
Try to count electric sheep
Sweet-dream wishes you can keep
How I hate the night.
-Marvin

David G. Kahane

Jan 11, 1994, 4:35:20 PM1/11/94

In a previous article, cu...@sage.cc.purdue.edu (The Cure) says:

>Don't want to sound silly, but what happened to Fangband 2.0 that was
>supposed to be all the rage, and out by now?

FAngband 2.0 should be out within a week or so, depending on how fast
my parents can get the source code here to me in Cleveland (the disk
I brought back was corrupt. BLEAH!). Anyway, everything is implemented;
I'm just trying to squelch a few last bugs, and playtest some more.
Complete list of changes (including those for v.0.90 and v.1.00)
follows. Note that this will probably be the -last- version for a while;
I'm planning on writing my own roguellike this semester.
--
"In wildness is the preservation of the world: so seek the wolf in thyself!"
"No one fights well with scalding vegetables being flung in his eyes." ^

Dan Karipides

Jan 12, 1994, 9:58:08 AM1/12/94
I managed to get a copy of Fangband over break and my overall impression
is that it's awesome. Great work...

...but I'll make an urgent plea that one thing be changed before version 2.0
is released. My big grip is with the quiver. Not the idea of one, but
how it's implemented. I think the following would be a big improvement.

#1] Make the quiver item appear at the end of the equipment list (and
therefore the equippy characters). This would make it follow your
secondary weapon, which is most often you bow, etc. The quiver idea is
nice, but not so important that it should be the first item listed.

#2] DON'T use 's' as the 'shoot' command. I would imagine that almost all
oldtimers press 's' for searching without thinking. Shift+'i' is just too
annoying. (I can't tell you how many times I got the "Your quiver is empty."
message...)

#3] I kinda miss the v) inventory slot. (Especially for characters without
a bow). Would it be too unbalancing to have a both a slot v) and a quiver?

What's the net.opinion on this?

-Dan Karipides

David G. Kahane

Jan 13, 1994, 3:40:36 PM1/13/94

In a previous article, DK6T...@MIAMIU.BITNET (Dan Karipides) says:

>...but I'll make an urgent plea that one thing be changed before version 2.0
>is released. My big grip is with the quiver. Not the idea of one, but
>how it's implemented. I think the following would be a big improvement.
>
>#1] Make the quiver item appear at the end of the equipment list (and
>therefore the equippy characters). This would make it follow your
>secondary weapon, which is most often you bow, etc. The quiver idea is
>nice, but not so important that it should be the first item listed.

Not a problem.

>#2] DON'T use 's' as the 'shoot' command. I would imagine that almost all
>oldtimers press 's' for searching without thinking. Shift+'i' is just too
>annoying. (I can't tell you how many times I got the "Your quiver is empty."
>message...)

And what do you suggest as an alternative? I haven't found shift-i to be
a problem personally, since whenver I -do- want to search, it's with '#'
first anyway.

>#3] I kinda miss the v) inventory slot. (Especially for characters without
>a bow). Would it be too unbalancing to have a both a slot v) and a quiver?

The v) slot is already back permanently.

Eugene Hung

Jan 13, 1994, 5:25:52 PM1/13/94
jeff...@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu (Jeffrey A Goodson) writes:
>In article <2h4bk4$l...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu> dg...@po.CWRU.Edu (David G. Kahane) writes:
[ discussion of searching key deleted ]

>>And what do you suggest as an alternative? I haven't found shift-i to be
>>a problem personally, since whenver I -do- want to search, it's with '#'
>>first anyway.
>
>Why not revert to the original command set's "f" fire/throw and "B" bash to
>free up the "s" key? Does anyone here actually bash things on a regular
>basis? At least more than they fire ammunition? After a quick check, it
>doesn't seem like there's another shift-b function in the roguelike set.
>It is rather inconvenient to use the "I" not because it is a shift
>function but because it is on the right side of the keyboard, and I
>find that all of my most commonly used action keys are on the left,
>while the right hand is left free for using the cursor keys. If you
>are just wandering around and ssearching every once in a while for doors,
>it usually only takes 4-5 searches, which is *much* easier than
>fiddling with the counted search mechanism.

I too, would like to see "s" remain searching. In my many hours of playing,
I'm grown to recognize prime spots for secret doors and can usually tell
where they are...so I tap "s" several times until I find something, while
never using the count command. To move the key to (shift-I) would not be
as playable for people like me. Especially since one searches a lot more than
one shoots. In addition, "s"earch, like "i"nventory, is one of the few keys
Nethack and Angband have in common. Helps for those of us who play
both games. :)

I'm not familiar with the Fangband command set, but I can volunteer the fact
that I almost never bash anything past 10th level, and then only with warriors
and dwarven priests whose lockpicking skills are horrible. A teleport spell
is usually a better last-ditch effort than a shield bash.

--
Eugene Hung eyh...@garnet.berkeley.edu
Theory of the International Society of Philosophic Engineering:

Jeffrey A Goodson

Jan 13, 1994, 4:42:46 PM1/13/94
In article <2h4bk4$l...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu> dg...@po.CWRU.Edu (David G. Kahane) writes:

>In a previous article, DK6T...@MIAMIU.BITNET (Dan Karipides) says:

[deleted quiver bit; either is fine for me]

>>#2] DON'T use 's' as the 'shoot' command. I would imagine that almost all
>>oldtimers press 's' for searching without thinking. Shift+'i' is just too
>>annoying. (I can't tell you how many times I got the "Your quiver is empty."
>>message...)
>>
>And what do you suggest as an alternative? I haven't found shift-i to be
>a problem personally, since whenver I -do- want to search, it's with '#'
>first anyway.

Why not revert to the original command set's "f" fire/throw and "B" bash to

free up the "s" key? Does anyone here actually bash things on a regular
basis? At least more than they fire ammunition? After a quick check, it
doesn't seem like there's another shift-b function in the roguelike set.
It is rather inconvenient to use the "I" not because it is a shift
function but because it is on the right side of the keyboard, and I
find that all of my most commonly used action keys are on the left,
while the right hand is left free for using the cursor keys. If you
are just wandering around and ssearching every once in a while for doors,
it usually only takes 4-5 searches, which is *much* easier than

fiddling with the counted search mechanism. Then again, I usually play
warriors with poor perception, so you may only have to deal with the
*stubborn* hidden objects. After one aquires detection, it becomes
largely a moot point anyway, but for warriors that can be the whole first
half of the game. If this is not an easy change, *I* would much prefer a
non-intuitive letter that was on the right hand side as opposed to some
initial of a word that actually means search on the right. However, it seems
that this argument has been around before. :)

>>#3] I kinda miss the v) inventory slot. (Especially for characters without
>>a bow). Would it be too unbalancing to have a both a slot v) and a quiver?
>
>The v) slot is already back permanently.
>--
>"In wildness is the preservation of the world: so seek the wolf in thyself!"
>"No one fights well with scalding vegetables being flung in his eyes." ^
>Mercedes Lackey --^ "Stop thinking and do the math!" Metallica --|
> dg...@po.cwru.edu Eck--^ Dave "Smurfpuke" Kahane

--
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X Jeff Goodson | Official (tm) Member of Gigglers and X

Jacob Mandelson

Jan 13, 1994, 6:40:27 PM1/13/94
Dan Karipides <DK6T...@MIAMIU.BITNET> writes:

>#1] Make the quiver item appear at the end of the equipment list (and
>therefore the equippy characters). This would make it follow your
>secondary weapon, which is most often you bow, etc. The quiver idea is
>nice, but not so important that it should be the first item listed.

Agreed.

>#2] DON'T use 's' as the 'shoot' command. I would imagine that almost all
>oldtimers press 's' for searching without thinking. Shift+'i' is just too
>annoying. (I can't tell you how many times I got the "Your quiver is empty."
>message...)

Just a suggestion: keep 's' as search. make 'f' fire from quiver.
Make 'T' (currently unused) trow from backpack.
This would have the added advantage of preventing people from
shooting their ego-weapons when they think they're shooting
bolts.

>#3] I kinda miss the v) inventory slot. (Especially for characters without
>a bow). Would it be too unbalancing to have a both a slot v) and a quiver?

>What's the net.opinion on this?

I think having either the quiver or the v) slot is fair.

- Jacob Mandelson

John Boelter

Jan 13, 1994, 10:35:06 PM1/13/94
Dan Karipides <DK6T...@MIAMIU.BITNET> writes:

>#2] DON'T use 's' as the 'shoot' command. I would imagine that almost all
>oldtimers press 's' for searching without thinking. Shift+'i' is just too
>annoying. (I can't tell you how many times I got the "Your quiver is empty."
>message...)

I agree on this, most wholehardedly. I'm so used to pressing s for
searching. I don't do much of that once I get a Detect Door/Stairs spell,
but I'm sure not everyone plays a character that will get that, so..

Count me in on this vote. :)

John "Nightwind" Boelter
--
(boe...@cwis.unomaha.edu)

Henri Faber

Jan 14, 1994, 4:10:39 AM1/14/94
In article <2h4m5b$s...@gap.cco.caltech.edu> j...@cco.caltech.edu (Jacob Mandelson) writes:
>Just a suggestion: keep 's' as search. make 'f' fire from quiver.
> Make 'T' (currently unused) trow from backpack.

No! 'T' is not unused, it is 'T'unnel (in the original command set) and I
think almost noone would like to lose the ability to dig a hole when they
don't have a wand of Stone to Mud or the spell.

Maybe you could make the command fire from 'Q'uiver.

Henri Faber
hen...@es.ele.tue.nl

patrick a walsh

Jan 14, 1994, 10:14:39 AM1/14/94

>Henri Faber
>hen...@es.ele.tue.nl

People,

I know old habits are hard to break. But I think that the way that Fangband
is setup up now is just fine. I myself didn't particularly like moving
one hand all the way across the keyboard to hit 's' to find a secret door.
You see, when I play, I use the keypad adjacent to the enter button. I
maneuver around the keypad with my right hand and my left operates the
other important keys. My index finger sits on the left shift button, my
middle uses the 'p' button when playing a priest or paladin, my ring
finger sits on the 'o' to open doors, and my pinkie sits on the 'y' button
to accept the pick up of certain items. The heel of my left hand operates
the space bar. When I need to search, instead of either moving my left
hand off the keys for a minute to find the 's' key and then moving it back
to its original station, or worse yet moving my right hand over to the 's'
so I don't have to find all my keys again with my left hand(as I did in Angband)
I now move one single finger, my ring finger, over to the 'i' and hold
down the left shift with my thumb. This is SOOOOO much easier, and let's
face it, I simply don't use missle weapons much anyway(unless I find an
artifact bow :) ).

KEEP THINGS THE WAY THEY ARE, DAVE!!!!!!!
(Besides that, if the damned Q was the fire from quiver command, how the
hell would you quit??)

Patrick
..

--
Patrick A. Walsh \/ pawa...@ukpr.uky.edu, pawa...@mik.uky.edu*
Cyclist and Computer Junkie \/ -----*insert standard disclaimer here*-----*

David G. Kahane

Jan 14, 1994, 1:40:27 PM1/14/94

In a previous article, j...@cco.caltech.edu (Jacob Mandelson) says:

>Just a suggestion: keep 's' as search. make 'f' fire from quiver.
> Make 'T' (currently unused) trow from backpack.
> This would have the added advantage of preventing people from
> shooting their ego-weapons when they think they're shooting
> bolts.

'T' is tunneling in the original command set (for which I am highly biased).
As far as the whole thing goes, though, I'm leaning towards the following:
's':search
'f':fire from quiver
'F':fire something else
'O':fill lantern with oil (much less important with the permanent light
sources)

Dan Karipides

Jan 14, 1994, 9:50:23 AM1/14/94
In article <2h4bk4$l...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu>, dg...@po.CWRU.Edu (David G. Kahane)
says:

>In a previous article, DK6T...@MIAMIU.BITNET (Dan Karipides) says:
>
>>#1] Make the quiver item appear at the end of the equipment list (and
>>therefore the equippy characters). This would make it follow your
>>secondary weapon, which is most often you bow, etc. The quiver idea is
>>nice, but not so important that it should be the first item listed.
>>
>Not a problem.

Thanks.

>>#2] DON'T use 's' as the 'shoot' command. I would imagine that almost all
>>oldtimers press 's' for searching without thinking. Shift+'i' is just too
>>annoying. (I can't tell you how many times I got the "Your quiver is empty."
>>message...)
>>
>And what do you suggest as an alternative? I haven't found shift-i to be
>a problem personally, since whenver I -do- want to search, it's with '#'
>first anyway.

How's this for an alternative?

s - seaching
f - fire from quiver
h - fire (hurl) a different item from your inventory

-Dan

Christopher J Dewey

Jan 15, 1994, 3:16:01 AM1/15/94
Really, David, three backup copies?

The one on your ramdisk doesn't count.

I can't blame you for losing the one on floppy to your canine's
ravenous appetite (my dogs have aquired a taste for plastic and iron
oxide as well, much to my CS profs' chagrin).

And don't you just hate it when your hotpot ignites your only hard
copy, on which you jotted your most genius code from a late night
dream (even though you couldn't understand it while conscious, anyway)?

been there, done that,
christopher "i do my best code while unconscious" dewey

Aaron Mandelbaum

Jan 16, 1994, 7:07:40 PM1/16/94
In article <HENRIF.94J...@python.es.ele.tue.nl> hen...@python.es.ele.tue.nl (Henri Faber) writes:
>From: hen...@python.es.ele.tue.nl (Henri Faber)
>Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.angband
>Subject: Re: Fangband 2.0
>Date: 14 Jan 1994 09:10:39 GMT

>Henri Faber
>hen...@es.ele.tue.nl

Why not have 's' search, 'f' fire, 'T' throw, and 'D' dig? I know I always
keep one hand on the keypad and one on all the nice little keys on the far
left (a,z,s,e,E,f,r).

I wouldn't mind 'c' as cast, though. Who ever closes doors?

--
Aaron Mandelbaum