Looming shade discovered !!!

342 views
Skip to first unread message

Kheldar

unread,
Feb 7, 2004, 4:56:21 AM2/7/04
to
My wizard (dont rememember race) entered a room with message:

"For a few seconds you see a looming shade before you. It points its
hand towards you in a threatening manner! Then it disappears"

and it did 1 damage to me. I had really low PV as wizard can have with
his starting equipment. Andy, you might want to add this to guidebook?
Didn't find your mail anywhere so i posted here.

Vladimir Panteleev

unread,
Feb 7, 2004, 7:44:24 AM2/7/04
to

First of all, you didn't look well. Look here and search for "looming":
http://www.andywlms.com/adom/adomgb-0-13.html

Second: have you read the rgra FAQ? Here's a quote:

-------
2) Check the newsgroup.
Even if the Guidebook turns out empty, it is still possible that you
have only rediscovered. Checking the newsgroup archive, e.g. via Google
Groups (http://groups.google.com/), is advisable. Go to
http://groups.google.com/groups?group=rec.games.roguelike.adom to jump
directly to the newsgroup and to
http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?meta=group%3Drec.games.roguelike.adom
to automatically get to its search page. Generally you don't have to
check farther than when the version you're using was published. If you
find that something is known to the newsgroup but not yet in the
Guidebook, you might still want to write a post about it so that it can
be added to the Guidebook.
-------

Now, here's the link and a quote from a post of mine from a few months ago:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=4fd23fd6.0311231708.5365d1c8%40posting.google.com

----- 8 -----
Message: For a few seconds you see a looming shade before you. It


points its hand towards you in a threatening manner!

Then it disappears.
Condition: PC can see the tile he's standing on
Effect: none

Hope this clears it up.

--
Knowledge belongs to the World.
That's why I'm here for.

http://wercorporation.da.ru/

John S

unread,
Feb 7, 2004, 8:32:59 AM2/7/04
to

"Vladimir Panteleev" <pv_wer...@programist.ru> wrote in message
news:opr2z20a...@news.individual.net...

> On 7 Feb 2004 01:56:21 -0800, Kheldar <Candidf...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > My wizard (dont rememember race) entered a room with message:
> >
> > "For a few seconds you see a looming shade before you. It points its
> > hand towards you in a threatening manner! Then it disappears"
> >
> > and it did 1 damage to me. I had really low PV as wizard can have with
> > his starting equipment. Andy, you might want to add this to guidebook?
> > Didn't find your mail anywhere so i posted here.
>
> First of all, you didn't look well. Look here and search for "looming":
> http://www.andywlms.com/adom/adomgb-0-13.html
>
> Now, here's the link and a quote from a post of mine from a few months
ago:
>
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=4fd23fd6.0311231708.5365d1c8%40posting.google.com
>
> ----- 8 -----
> Message: For a few seconds you see a looming shade before you. It
> points its hand towards you in a threatening manner!
> Then it disappears.
> Condition: PC can see the tile he's standing on
> Effect: none
>
> Hope this clears it up.
>

Except neither the GB nor your post refer to taking damage. Reread his
post.


Andy Williams

unread,
Feb 7, 2004, 2:09:56 PM2/7/04
to
Kheldar wrote:

Hmm. Interesting. This has not been observed bfore. As you mention,
it may be dependent on PV. I will add a provisional statement to the
GB.
--
Andy Williams - ADOM Guidebook: http://www.andywlms.com/adom/
Mirror: http://users.rcn.com/andy.williams/adom/

Vladimir Panteleev

unread,
Feb 7, 2004, 2:16:19 PM2/7/04
to

I thought the 1 HP lost was as a secondary effect to a completely new
discovery. Oh well, launching IDA... re-checking room effect code (I
checked it before posting previous message)... Nope. Alright...
checking all cross-refences to room access (all 37 of them)... Nope.
Nothing. Whatever caused the HP loss, it nothing to do with the room
effect. I'm sure ToGu and other asm gurus can confirm this.

Kheldar

unread,
Feb 7, 2004, 4:11:53 PM2/7/04
to
Vladimir Panteleev <pv_wer...@programist.ru> wrote in message news:<opr2z20a...@news.individual.net>...

Actually Andy added it, now quoting GB:

"For a few seconds you see a looming shade before you. It points its
hand towards you in a threatening manner! Then it disappears.

- It has been reported that this will cause a loss of one HP for PCs
with low PV."

/End of quoting GB

Even Andy didn't post here, he have added it to Guidebook as you can
see.

Back to looming shade and other unknown messages:

And because it affects only PCs with low PV, and prehaps other
modifiers, it is VERY rare that the shade does damage. Maybe willpower
could be a factor because you cant stand his finger pointing you in a
threatening manner? I think every message, with effect -none- in the
link posted by Vladimir, has somekind of effect, they are just so
minor you cant see them without extensive searching.

Andy Williams

unread,
Feb 7, 2004, 9:16:38 PM2/7/04
to
Kheldar wrote:

> Actually Andy added it, now quoting GB:

> "For a few seconds you see a looming shade before you. It points its
> hand towards you in a threatening manner! Then it disappears.

> - It has been reported that this will cause a loss of one HP for PCs
> with low PV."

> /End of quoting GB

> Even Andy didn't post here, he have added it to Guidebook as you can
> see.

Actually, I did post to the newsgroup.



> Back to looming shade and other unknown messages:

> And because it affects only PCs with low PV, and prehaps other
> modifiers, it is VERY rare that the shade does damage. Maybe willpower
> could be a factor because you cant stand his finger pointing you in a
> threatening manner? I think every message, with effect -none- in the
> link posted by Vladimir, has somekind of effect, they are just so
> minor you cant see them without extensive searching.

Quite possible. It is difficult to notice and keep track of all these
relatively minor changes, whether in the heat of battle or elsewhere.

Doug B

unread,
Feb 7, 2004, 11:41:36 PM2/7/04
to
Hey check this out, I passed beneath a graceful tree while poisoned
and I lost hp!!! Apparently trees harm you if you're poisoned! It
seems to also depend on perception, since mine was a bit low. Better
get this in the GB!

Before you whine about my top posting, I'll have you know I dove on a
grenade in the trenches of France in WWI and thus save 300 red blooded
American soldiers, many of them your fathers and grandfathers and all
the government gives me in return is an annual $20 gift certificate to
the salvation army, so to make a long story short, the next person to
bellyache about top posting is going to get a bayonet shoved so far up
their ass it'll damage their blessed eternium cap from +9/+9 all the
way to +1/-3

Andy Williams <inv...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:<boda2092fd0ff86mj...@4ax.com>...

The Beerslayer

unread,
Feb 8, 2004, 1:15:56 AM2/8/04
to
Doug B wrote:

> Before you whine about my top posting, I'll have you know I dove on a
> grenade in the trenches of France in WWI and thus save 300 red blooded
> American soldiers, many of them your fathers and grandfathers and all
> the government gives me in return is an annual $20 gift certificate to
> the salvation army, so to make a long story short, the next person to
> bellyache about top posting is going to get a bayonet shoved so far up
> their ass it'll damage their blessed eternium cap from +9/+9 all the
> way to +1/-3

OK. I'm calling your bluff.

Please don't top post in this newsgroup.

Come and get me, if you think you're "man" enough.

-- Jeff
-- aka The Eternal Newbie :)

p.s. Too bad you survived the grenade.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer
cell. -- Edward Abbey
---------------------------------------------------------------

John Rowat

unread,
Feb 8, 2004, 1:29:10 AM2/8/04
to
Like roses wither, so does Doug B:

> Before you whine about my top posting, I'll have you know I dove on a
> grenade in the trenches of France in WWI and thus save 300 red blooded
> American soldiers, many of them your fathers and grandfathers and all
> the government gives me in return is an annual $20 gift certificate to
> the salvation army, so to make a long story short, the next person to
> bellyache about top posting is going to get a bayonet shoved so far up
> their ass it'll damage their blessed eternium cap from +9/+9 all the
> way to +1/-3

You top post too much

And your mother dresses you funny.

John

Vladimir Panteleev

unread,
Feb 8, 2004, 7:07:00 AM2/8/04
to
On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 21:16:38 -0500, Andy Williams <inv...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Kheldar wrote:
>
>> Actually Andy added it, now quoting GB:
>
>> "For a few seconds you see a looming shade before you. It points its
>> hand towards you in a threatening manner! Then it disappears.
>
>> - It has been reported that this will cause a loss of one HP for PCs
>> with low PV."
>
>> /End of quoting GB
>
>> Even Andy didn't post here, he have added it to Guidebook as you can
>> see.
>
> Actually, I did post to the newsgroup.
>
>> Back to looming shade and other unknown messages:
>
>> And because it affects only PCs with low PV, and prehaps other
>> modifiers, it is VERY rare that the shade does damage. Maybe willpower
>> could be a factor because you cant stand his finger pointing you in a
>> threatening manner? I think every message, with effect -none- in the
>> link posted by Vladimir, has somekind of effect, they are just so
>> minor you cant see them without extensive searching.
>
> Quite possible. It is difficult to notice and keep track of all these
> relatively minor changes, whether in the heat of battle or elsewhere.

Hmmm... Yes, quite possible... I believe that they are processed in a
different location than the evident effects... While I'll try to modify
the map editor to allow to edit rooms and their effects, could someone
give me the info on a char for whom this HP lost happened, so I can trap
it with a debugger... A VLG or SVG would be great...

I'll reply here as soon as I find something.

Mikko Sorsa

unread,
Feb 8, 2004, 10:33:27 AM2/8/04
to

"Kheldar" <Candidf...@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä
news:5fe14a42.04020...@posting.google.com...

It would be interesting to see what would be the cause of the death if you
died to this 1 HP loss. Would be pretty impossible to test though. Unless
someone with disassembling skills would check out all the possible reasons
of death and see if there's anything interesting.

Mikko

Kheldar

unread,
Feb 8, 2004, 2:06:32 PM2/8/04
to
"Mikko Sorsa" <mso...@ihatespam.welho.com> wrote in message news:<c05ksv$iv1$1...@nyytiset.pp.htv.fi>...

Yes, i thought it too! I wonder what is the cause of death? Scared to
death?
And as there is so many room messages, and they happen
not-so-commonly, it would be very hard to die to this, but someone
have died to shattering mirrors as well, so it is possible. Watch out
for looming shades everyone?

Josh Singh

unread,
Feb 8, 2004, 3:50:37 PM2/8/04
to

...

Doug B, do you ever get tired of being a dick? Seriously, this is probably
the stupidest shit you've posted here yet (counting, of course, the
psychotic personal vendettas you have against Stephen, Frances and me). So
now you're going after veterans... bravo, jackass. What's next, you gonna
patronize paraplegics? Black people? Homosexuals? The poor?

Give this shit a rest. It's not funny, and you'll get your ass kicked. (Not
that that would be such a bad thing, but I figure that you don't want that
to happen.)

--
Curry Bucket's Controversial Web Presence: Nihilism with a ghetto blast
http://chat.carleton.ca/~jsingh3 or www.currybucket.cjb.net
DeadHeads' Delight: The lowly way to get high
http://chat.carleton.ca/~jsingh3/junktion


Laszlo

unread,
Feb 8, 2004, 6:21:06 PM2/8/04
to
Candidf...@hotmail.com (Kheldar) wrote in message news:<5fe14a42.04020...@posting.google.com>...

I am still not convinced that this does indeed happen. A character of
mine with a PV of 4 recently found such a room, and took no damage.
Proves nothing, of course, but along with the fact that the code-
divers found nothing, I'd tend to suspect that perhaps Kheldar's
character was already missing a HP from some other source, and he
only noticed it after getting this message?

Laszlo

Kheldar

unread,
Feb 9, 2004, 4:38:04 AM2/9/04
to
laszlo_...@freemail.hu (Laszlo) wrote in message news:<36c239a1.04020...@posting.google.com>...


One thing: No-one knows what check is made to check the damage, i just
thought firstly it would be PV, but would protection protect you
against fear? Probably my wizards PV was 0 or something. It might be
also Strenght/Willpower/Toughness related. My char wasn't poisoned
neither sick. Or maybe effect changed to -no effect- message in newer
versions.

Erik Piper

unread,
Feb 9, 2004, 5:23:11 AM2/9/04
to
"Josh Singh" <jsi...@connect.carleton.canuck> wrote in message news:<c067et$d7f$1...@driftwood.ccs.carleton.ca>...

> John Rowat (jro...@prince.carleton.ca) writes:
> > Like roses wither, so does Doug B:

<series of serious responses to troll>

WA (we all) HBT. WAHL. HAND.

Erik

Frances Kathleen Moffatt

unread,
Feb 9, 2004, 8:55:13 AM2/9/04
to
Erik Piper (er...@sky.cz) writes:
> "Josh Singh" <jsi...@connect.carleton.canuck> wrote in message news:<c067et$d7f$1...@driftwood.ccs.carleton.ca>...
>> John Rowat (jro...@prince.carleton.ca) writes:
>> > Like roses wither, so does Doug B:

> <series of serious responses to troll>

"Your mother dresses you funny"?

> WA (we all) HBT. WAHL. HAND.

I know HAND. WAHL and HBT?

Love and coffee,
Frances

Helmut Hohberger

unread,
Feb 9, 2004, 9:10:07 AM2/9/04
to

I assume that WA HBT means "We all have been there". WAHL i can only
guess. "What a hopeless loser"? "We are horrid lovers"? "Who ate
Helmut's lunch?"

Whatever it is, I don't see the connection with what John said.

Frances Kathleen Moffatt

unread,
Feb 9, 2004, 9:56:59 AM2/9/04
to
Helmut Hohberger (fear_t...@yahoo.de) writes:
> Frances Kathleen Moffatt wrote:
>> Erik Piper (er...@sky.cz) writes:
>>>"Josh Singh" <jsi...@connect.carleton.canuck> wrote in message news:<c067et$d7f$1...@driftwood.ccs.carleton.ca>...
>>>>John Rowat (jro...@prince.carleton.ca) writes:
>>>>>Like roses wither, so does Doug B:

>>><series of serious responses to troll>
>> "Your mother dresses you funny"?

>>>WA (we all) HBT. WAHL. HAND.
>> I know HAND. WAHL and HBT?

> I assume that WA HBT means "We all have been there". WAHL i can only
> guess. "What a hopeless loser"? "We are horrid lovers"? "Who ate
> Helmut's lunch?"

The first option seems to make sense. I just keep hearing a sort of
Southern drawl saying "WAHL now..."

> Whatever it is, I don't see the connection with what John said.

A shorthand way of pointing out that I didn't see all the responses of the
troll as completely serious. Apologies, I should have been clearer.

Love and coffee,
Frances

Eva Myers

unread,
Feb 9, 2004, 10:04:20 AM2/9/04
to
dv...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Frances Kathleen Moffatt) writes:

> Erik Piper (er...@sky.cz) writes:
>
> > WA (we all) HBT. WAHL. HAND.
>
> I know HAND. WAHL and HBT?

Have you seen "YHBT. YHL. HAND." before? It means "You Have Been
Trolled. You Have Lost. Have A Nice Day." Does that help you work
out what Erik meant?
Eva.

--
Eva Myers, Computer Officer, Statistical Laboratory, University of Cambridge
Email: erm...@cam.ac.uk WWW: http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~eva/
Ignorance and deception can't save anybody. *Knowing* saves them.

Igor D. WonderLlama

unread,
Feb 9, 2004, 1:02:13 PM2/9/04
to

The only remotely practical way I can think of to test this is still
too tedious for me, but here it is anyway. Set up a script to backup
your save file and run Adom. Go to the ID. Every time you enter a
level, save, and restore with your script. Quickly explore the level,
preferably with teleport. If you find a looming shade room, quit, and
restore your backup. Take off all your armor, drop your toughness to
1, abuse any other stats you feel might play a role, get your HP down
to 1, and enter the room. It would give fairly solid proof one way or
the other.

I won't be surprised if no one bothers to try this, tho'.

Frances Kathleen Moffatt

unread,
Feb 9, 2004, 1:07:50 PM2/9/04
to
Eva Myers (erm...@cam.ac.uk) writes:
> dv...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Frances Kathleen Moffatt) writes:
>> Erik Piper (er...@sky.cz) writes:

>> > WA (we all) HBT. WAHL. HAND.
>> I know HAND. WAHL and HBT?
> Have you seen "YHBT. YHL. HAND." before?

I plead ignorance, sadly; the closest I've seen is "HTH. HAND."

> It means "You Have Been
> Trolled. You Have Lost. Have A Nice Day." Does that help you work
> out what Erik meant?

Clear as crystal. Thanks.

Love and coffee,
Frances (still kind of amused by "Eat shrapnel, gorgon from hell!")

Helmut Hohberger

unread,
Feb 9, 2004, 2:32:39 PM2/9/04
to
Frances Kathleen Moffatt wrote:

[snip all relevant parts of message, in order to reply to unimportant
side remark, but then again, that's why this message is marked as OT]

>(still kind of amused by "Eat shrapnel, gorgon from hell!")

Yeah, that was a good one. Sometimes, only sometimes, you can have fun
playing with the trolls.

Arturus Magi

unread,
Feb 9, 2004, 9:08:54 PM2/9/04
to
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 15:10:07 +0100
From: Helmut Hohberger fear_t...@yahoo.de

>I assume that WA HBT means "We all have been there".

Have Been Trolled, actually. The usual construct is the self-depreciating
'IHBT.'

mike3

unread,
Feb 12, 2004, 3:50:59 AM2/12/04
to
Vladimir Panteleev <pv_wer...@programist.ru> wrote in message news:<opr20k5h...@news.individual.net>...


What is IDA?

Vladimir Panteleev

unread,
Feb 13, 2004, 7:05:33 AM2/13/04
to
On 12 Feb 2004 00:50:59 -0800, mike3 <mike...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Vladimir Panteleev <pv_wer...@programist.ru> wrote in message news:<opr20k5h...@news.individual.net>...
>> [snip]


>> I thought the 1 HP lost was as a secondary effect to a completely new
>> discovery. Oh well, launching IDA... re-checking room effect code (I
>> checked it before posting previous message)... Nope. Alright...
>> checking all cross-refences to room access (all 37 of them)... Nope.
>> Nothing. Whatever caused the HP loss, it nothing to do with the room
>> effect. I'm sure ToGu and other asm gurus can confirm this.
>
>
> What is IDA?

IDA Pro Disassembler - multi-processor, windows hosted disassembler and debugger
http://www.datarescue.com/idabase/

Vladimir Panteleev

unread,
Feb 14, 2004, 6:20:30 AM2/14/04
to

Just finished the add-on to the map editor to modify the room one-shot
effects. Entering the room... "For a few seconds you see ..." No effect.
Dropping all my stats to 1. Retrying. Nothing. Removing all inventory
and dropping all stuff. Nothing. Setting all skills to 1. Nothing.
Removing all talents. Nothing. My DV/PV was 13/0 by then.

I'd actually like to hear a counter-argument this time. >:]

Kheldar

unread,
Feb 14, 2004, 9:44:44 AM2/14/04
to
Vladimir Panteleev <pv_wer...@programist.ru> wrote in message news:<opr3cxsg...@news.individual.net>...


Oh, then its two possibilities:

1. My eyes lied to me, and i dont like them anymore

2. I have experienced looming shade thingy with 1.0.0, as i said it
might been changed, who knows?

I stronly belive 1. more

Mikko Sorsa

unread,
Feb 14, 2004, 1:27:34 PM2/14/04
to
"Vladimir Panteleev" <pv_wer...@programist.ru> wrote

> Just finished the add-on to the map editor to modify the room one-shot
> effects. Entering the room... "For a few seconds you see ..." No effect.
> Dropping all my stats to 1. Retrying. Nothing. Removing all inventory
> and dropping all stuff. Nothing. Setting all skills to 1. Nothing.
> Removing all talents. Nothing. My DV/PV was 13/0 by then.
>
> I'd actually like to hear a counter-argument this time. >:]
>

Well I guess that wraps it up then, it seems that ADOM is full of things
which are either not implemented yet, or are just flavour effects. I wonder
if there's still something new to find or if everything has been discovered.
I
wouldn't be surprised if there were still some minor things that are waiting
to be discovered. Vladimir, as you seem to be very skilled with
disassembling, I'd like to ask you if it'd be easy to look at the different
causes of death, if all the strings are all stored in a specific place. It'd
be
interesting to see if there's anything that hasn't been discovered yet.

Mikko


Andy Williams

unread,
Feb 14, 2004, 3:58:24 PM2/14/04
to
Vladimir Panteleev wrote:

> > > Kheldar wrote:

> > > > Actually Andy added it, now quoting GB:

> > > > "For a few seconds you see a looming shade before you. It points its
> > > > hand towards you in a threatening manner! Then it disappears.

> > > > - It has been reported that this will cause a loss of one HP for PCs
> > > > with low PV."

> Just finished the add-on to the map editor to modify the room one-shot


> effects. Entering the room... "For a few seconds you see ..." No effect.
> Dropping all my stats to 1. Retrying. Nothing. Removing all inventory
> and dropping all stuff. Nothing. Setting all skills to 1. Nothing.
> Removing all talents. Nothing. My DV/PV was 13/0 by then.

> I'd actually like to hear a counter-argument this time. >:]

This is being removed from the GB as I type.

Vladimir Panteleev

unread,
Feb 14, 2004, 4:32:38 PM2/14/04
to

No problem. I quickly wrote a script for IDA that would dump the parameters
passed to the SetDeathReason functio to a file. After a little processing and
adding of some particular cases, here's the result:

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
..
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
You ought to know that the "%s" means that there should be some string instead
of it. In most cases it is used for "him"/"her"/"it", but it's also used for
other stuff. See for yourself.

blasted %sself into the afterworld with an alchemical experiment
exhausted %sself by casting too many spells
got roasted while trying to scorch webs in %s vicinity
exhausted %sself by casting an improved fireball
was killed by thorns growing from %s hands
was shredded by an overloaded %s
overtaxed %sself by animating too many %s
was burned by the acidic skin of %s
was burned by the acidic skin of %s
was killed %sby %s
was drained of all substance
was transformed into %s
was drained of all coherence
was transformed into %s
was aged to death by %s
was shot by %s
was killed by a %s thrown by %s
was ripped apart when confronting Order and Chaos
was killed by believing in the promises of Chaos
was extinguished by an exploding fluff ball
was killed by drinking a poisoned cocktail
was burned from within by acidic herbs
poisoned %sself with spider-filled bread
petrified %sself by eating a gorgon corpse
entered the plane of Primal Chaos
was transformed into a true servant of Chaos
was sliced by an eternal Chaos guardian
was shredded to pieces by the inhabitants of the planes of Chaos
was devoured after failing the final test
died of exhaustion on a bad day
quit prematurely
was transformed into a chaos being
transformed into the highest ChAoS gOd
transformed into an avatar of %s
transformed into a miserable and wretched chaos servant
broke %s leg on a wall
broke %s leg when kicking a tree
broke %s leg when kicking a forge
broke %s leg while kicking at the air
was crushed by a collapsing dungeon
broke %s neck by using inadequate climbing equipment
broke %s neck while falling down some narrow stairway
was eaten by a slavering grue
drowned
was shredded by chaos piranhas
was killed by falling down a deep rift
was eaten alive by a spider swarm
terminally broke %s leg by kicking an anvil
terminally broke %s leg by kicking a statue
was killed by a psychic backlash
was killed by a psychic backlash
was killed by vile %s magic
was frozen to death by %s
was blasted with energy by %s
was blasted with magic missiles by %s
was extinguished by %s
was blasted by %s
was doomed to be killed by a misfired divine energy bolt
was roasted
was electrocuted
died of pneunomia
was sacrificed by %s to %s gods
was shredded by an exploding artifact
was killed by the %s of %s
was squished by the mark of the failed paragon
was killed by an unaligned amulet
was killed by an unaligned piece of armor
died of blood loss
starved to death
died of acute blood poisoning
choked on %s own vomit while %s
was wasted away by the terrible black fever
was electrocuted by a magically charged armor
died due to physical exhaustion
was crushed by tons of luggage
died of old age
was blasted into oblivion by an angry deity
was killed due to system overheating
died of old age
was killed by an exploding frog
was scorched by a scroll of charging
was killed by shattering mirrors
was drained of %s life force by strong magic
was ripped apart by an exploding spellbook
broke %s neck in a magically created pit
sacrificed %sself to %s
was annihilated by divine wrath
broke %s leg on an altar
was killed by a booby-trapped door
was smashed by a stone block
was fried by a magical explosion
was crushed by a toppling door
was killed by %s opening a booby-trapped door
broke %s neck in a pit trap
was killed by an arrow trap
got %s head smashed by a stone block
was killed in a spear trap
was mutilated by an acid trap
was crushed by a collapsed ceiling
broke %s neck by falling into a pit
was toasted when opening the lock of elemental fire
whipped %sself to death
was killed by trying too hard to be a great writer
killed %sself with a death ray
electrocuted %sself with a faulty wand of lightning
electrocuted %sself with a wand of lightning!
magic missiled %sself to death
broke %s neck in a self-made hole
froze %sself with a cone of cold!
dissolved %sself with a wand of acid
transformed %sself into an ash heap with a wand of fire!
executed %sself with a%s %s
executed %sself with a %s
drained %s life away with a death ray
was killed by an earthquake
was drained by a wand of destruction

was scorched by a fiery explosion
was frozen to death by an ice storm
was electrocuted by mighty lightning strokes
was consumed by a torrent of acid

was digested by a giant slug
was dissolved by an eternium golem
was scorched by a steel golem
was scorched by a fire drake
was annihilated by the Chaos Wyrm
was roasted by a greater fire elemental
was roasted by a fire elemental
was scorched by a fire grue
was ignited by a fire demon
was drowned by a greater water elemental
was drowned by a baby water dragon
was drowned by a water dragon
was drowned by a giant dragon turtle
was drowned by a dragon turtle
was frozen to death by a shadow wyrm
was electrocuted by a lightning lizard
was electrocuted by an ancient blue wyrm
was roasted by a stone statue
was roasted by a red worm
was scorched with a lightning bolt by a greater air elemental
was blasted by an ancient karmic wyrm
was blasted by a great karmic wyrm
was blasted by an ancient karmic dragon
was blasted by a karmic dragon
was blasted by a baby karmic dragon
was blasted by a chaos lizard
was annihilated by %s (Keriax, the Multi-headed chaos dragon)
was scorched with a lightning bolt by an air elemental
was digested by an ankheg
was scorched by an iron golem
was torched by a greater daemon
was torched by a lesser daemon
was burned by a hell hound
was flamed by a fire lizard
was petrified by a gorgon
was drowned by a water grue
was drowned by a water elemental
was drowned by the breath of a fairy dragon
was dissolved by a black baby dragon
was frozen to death by a white baby dragon
was electrocuted by a blue baby dragon
was scorched by a red baby dragon
was frozen to death by a great white wyrm
was frozen to death by an ancient white dragon
was frozen to death by a white dragon
was dissolved by a great black wyrm
was dissolved by an ancient black dragon
was dissolved by a black dragon
was electrocuted by a great blue wyrm
was electrocuted by an ancient blue dragon
was electrocuted by a blue dragon
was scorched by a great red wyrm
was scorched by an ancient red dragon
was scorched by a red dragon
was scorched with a lightning bolt by an air grue

Pretty masochistic game for ~170 death reasons >:]

I know that there will be many questions of what causes the death
with specific reasons. I'm here at your service >:]

.
.
.

I was curious of the reasons of a few deaths myself and was
inspecting "was extinguished by an exploding fluff ball". This
happens when dipping fluff balls into water, but there's no space to
generate the goblins. However, the game crashes when trying to do so:
"Illegal die roll format '1310+11' (<+>, 1)."
Thomas mustv'e missed a "d" between 13 and 10.
RFE it, somebody. >:]

mike3

unread,
Feb 14, 2004, 10:23:39 PM2/14/04
to
Vladimir Panteleev <pv_wer...@programist.ru> wrote in message news:<opr3dp4o...@news.individual.net>...

> On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 20:27:34 +0200, Mikko Sorsa <mso...@ihatespam.welho.com> wrote:
>
> > "Vladimir Panteleev" <pv_wer...@programist.ru> wrote
<blah>

> No problem. I quickly wrote a script for IDA that would dump the parameters
> passed to the SetDeathReason functio to a file. After a little processing and
> adding of some particular cases, here's the result:
<snipall>

Where do you get the function names from? Are they in the ADOM
executable? The only version of ADOM I know of with that is gamma 12.
Is this what you're using?

Vladimir Panteleev

unread,
Feb 15, 2004, 2:03:08 AM2/15/04
to

No, I name them myself. Of course, when I stumble upon an error message like
"Undefined coordinates in PlaceFeature (%d [%d], %d [%d])" that helps, but I
mostly give them names after understanding what the function does.

Zaxx

unread,
Feb 15, 2004, 6:29:33 AM2/15/04
to
Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>
> No problem. I quickly wrote a script for IDA that would dump the
> parameters
> passed to the SetDeathReason functio to a file. After a little
> processing and adding of some particular cases, here's the result:
>

Nice job!
Questions below...

> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> ..
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
>

> got roasted while trying to scorch webs in %s vicinity

Trying to remove webs with lightning bolt? Sure fire cannot kill you...
unless you're trapped in the improved fireball radius.

> was killed by thorns growing from %s hands

Huh? Never seen that corruption damage a char...

> was shredded by an overloaded %s

Wrong alchemy experiment?

> was drained of all substance

> was drained of all coherence

St and To drained below 1?

> entered the plane of Primal Chaos

How is that a death?

> was transformed into a true servant of Chaos

Really? New to me...

> died of exhaustion on a bad day

LOL...
Generating an extremely low To char on monday?

> transformed into the highest ChAoS gOd

Normal CG ending? Don't recall the message but I thought it was
something else...

> transformed into a miserable and wretched chaos servant

Another new one...

> was doomed to be killed by a misfired divine energy bolt

ROFLMAO... IIRC this can happen when a monster try to sac a doomed
champion. Deities can be funny at times...

> was killed due to system overheating

Another new one... dying when putting the fire orb back in place?

> was toasted when opening the lock of elemental fire

Well this would be more appropriate in that case... so I dunno.


Vladimir Panteleev

unread,
Feb 15, 2004, 9:01:47 AM2/15/04
to

"Do you want to burn the webs? [Y/n]"
"You completely burn the webs in your vicinity."
"In the process you get scorched a bit, too."
(2d3 fire damage)

When casting "burning hands" while trapped in webs. However this code
is never executed because you can't cast any spell while trapped in
webs. RFE it somebody.

>> was killed by thorns growing from %s hands
>
> Huh? Never seen that corruption damage a char...

When you get that corruption you get 3d3 damage. It's quite painful to
have spikes suddenly growing out of your hands, no? >:]

>> was shredded by an overloaded %s
>
> Wrong alchemy experiment?

Recharging wands.
"You overload the %s!"
"It explodes in a horrible energy eruption!"
([charges left in wand]d6 damage)

>> was drained of all substance
>> was drained of all coherence
>
> St and To drained below 1?

Substance: being attacked by a unique monster with the "drain strength"
power. Those are the ghost librarian and the ElDeR cHaOs GoD.

For non-unique monsters, you get the reason "was transformed into a/an"
and the monster name that attacked you. Those monsters are:
shadow, quasit, spectre, vampire, shadow troll, slow shadow,
shadow lord, shadow centipede, living wall

Coherence:
Same as above, but with the "drain touch" power. The unique monsters are
the same, the non-unique ones: wight, wraith, spectre, vampire.

Information extracted from MonsterDex >:]

>> entered the plane of Primal Chaos
>
> How is that a death?

"are immediately absorbed by the forces of Primal Chaos... it's too late
to feel remorse."

Entering the chaos gate while being a non-chaotic non-champion (I think).

>> was transformed into a true servant of Chaos
>
> Really? New to me...

"You stumble into the gate. Swirling Chaos immediately envelopes you."
"You feel at home..."
"...somewhat."
"A huge mass of writhing tentacles approaches you."
"A voice in your mind booms:"
"*yEt AnOtHeR oF tHoSe TiNy SeRvAnTs.*"
"*YoUr StAtUs WiLl Be InCrEaSeD!*"

Entering the chaos gate while being a chaotic non-champion.

>> died of exhaustion on a bad day
>
> LOL...
> Generating an extremely low To char on monday?
>
>> transformed into the highest ChAoS gOd
>
> Normal CG ending? Don't recall the message but I thought it was
> something else...

"The moment Andor Drakon dies huge energies are freed!"
"These energies hit your body and transform you..."
"You become the next ChAoS gOd!"

I guess so...

>> transformed into a miserable and wretched chaos servant
>
> Another new one...

"The moment Andor Drakon dies huge energies are freed!"
"These energies hit your body and try to transform you..."
"...and though you resist, you are not powerful enough to withstand
that enormous onslaught of Chaos essence!"
"You end your existence as a miserable wretch on the planes of
Chaos..."
"...but with the knowledge that you saved your world!"

Dunno. Needs more work.

>> was doomed to be killed by a misfired divine energy bolt
>
> ROFLMAO... IIRC this can happen when a monster try to sac a doomed
> champion. Deities can be funny at times...

Suppose you are being chased by a (greater/emperor) moloch. Here
goes:
"The altar is smashed by <the moloch>!"
"You hear <diety> scream "HOW *DARE* THIS MOLOCH BREAK *MY* ALTAR?""
"A black bolt hurls down from the sky!"
"The bolt hits you!"
(10000 damage >8|)
"You hear a voice in your head say "SORRY, MISSED"."

Yep. I was also ROTFLOL when I read this the first time... >:D

>> was killed due to system overheating
>
> Another new one... dying when putting the fire orb back in place?

Drakelings.
Quote from the ADOM Fluff FAQ:

V.G. Why does fire damage my character despite immunity to fire?
================================================================

You are playing a drakeling? You are right now probably exploring the
tower of eternal flames? That's it. While heat increases the inherent
speed of drakelings, it also damages them at some point due to over-heating.
Immunity to fire damage doesn't help with such a great amount of heat.

>> was toasted when opening the lock of elemental fire
>
> Well this would be more appropriate in that case... so I dunno.

Err... yup. 10d6 fire damage, bypassing the PV.

Laszlo

unread,
Feb 15, 2004, 10:40:59 AM2/15/04
to
"Zaxx" <olivier-benard_f***sp...@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message news:<c0nl7f$lib$1...@news-reader3.wanadoo.fr>...

Yeah, probably hitting yourself with Improved FIreball (no other way of
hitting yourself with fire, is there?) while in webs.

> > was killed by thorns growing from %s hands
>
> Huh? Never seen that corruption damage a char...

Maybe when you get the corruption, it does minor damage? I dunno.

> > was shredded by an overloaded %s
>
> Wrong alchemy experiment?

Nope. Different message.

> > was drained of all substance
> > was drained of all coherence
>
> St and To drained below 1?

Probably.

> > entered the plane of Primal Chaos
>
> How is that a death?

If you don't meet certain requirements (depending on alignment and
equipment), you die instantly on entering the Chaos Plane.

> > was transformed into a true servant of Chaos
>
> Really? New to me...

Crowned champion of Chaos gets corrupted to death, perhaps?

> > died of exhaustion on a bad day
>
> LOL...
> Generating an extremely low To char on monday?

I'm pretty sure this can't heppen. But yes, I'd guess that's the
message for it. All sources of damage have their own "cause of death"
message, in case they kill the PC... even when this is not possible,
like in this case.

> > transformed into the highest ChAoS gOd
>
> Normal CG ending? Don't recall the message but I thought it was
> something else...

No idea.

> > transformed into a miserable and wretched chaos servant
>
> Another new one...

Dunno.

> > was doomed to be killed by a misfired divine energy bolt
>
> ROFLMAO... IIRC this can happen when a monster try to sac a doomed
> champion. Deities can be funny at times...

Heh.

> > was killed due to system overheating
>
> Another new one... dying when putting the fire orb back in place?

Nope. I'll bet this is for Drakelings dying in the ToEF due to...
well, system overheating :)

> > was toasted when opening the lock of elemental fire
>
> Well this would be more appropriate in that case... so I dunno.

Yes, this'll be the fire orb thing.

Laszlo

Vladimir Panteleev

unread,
Feb 15, 2004, 10:58:13 AM2/15/04
to

Google groups sucks. Anyway, I missed something again (damn, I need a
pair of new eyes >B] )

>> LOL...
>> Generating an extremely low To char on monday?
>
> I'm pretty sure this can't heppen. But yes, I'd guess that's the
> message for it. All sources of damage have their own "cause of death"
> message, in case they kill the PC... even when this is not possible,
> like in this case.

Yes, that's true. 2d2 damage.

The Beerslayer

unread,
Feb 15, 2004, 3:30:15 PM2/15/04
to
No attributions, sorry. Thread so far:

>>> was killed by thorns growing from %s hands
>>
>> Huh? Never seen that corruption damage a char...

Or he killed *himself* by attacking himself with his own thorny hands (in a
Saturnian rite of self-flagellation akin to hitting himself with a whip?)

Can one get the same corruption multiple times - i.e. if the PC already has
thorny hands, can the RNG try to give it to him again? And if so, is the
effect cumulative?

-- Jeff
-- aka The Eternal Newbie :)

---------------------------------------------------------------
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted
to a profoundly sick society. -- Krishnamurti
---------------------------------------------------------------

Stephen White

unread,
Feb 15, 2004, 4:51:59 PM2/15/04
to
> "The moment Andor Drakon dies huge energies are freed!"
> "These energies hit your body and try to transform you..."
> "...and though you resist, you are not powerful enough to withstand
> that enormous onslaught of Chaos essence!"
> "You end your existence as a miserable wretch on the planes of
> Chaos..."
> "...but with the knowledge that you saved your world!"
>
> Dunno. Needs more work.

Hmmm..... not holding the sceptre of chaos or TotRR when
killing the big guy, perhaps?

Jennifer Gray

unread,
Feb 15, 2004, 6:40:56 PM2/15/04
to
And then, at 23:32:38 Sat, 14 Feb 2004, while fighting an evil Balrog,
Vladimir Panteleev <pv_wer...@programist.ru> paused to say:
(...)
[snip list]

OK, most of them I can see where they came from. But:

>was killed by an exploding frog

How do you get a frog to explode?


Love from
Jennifer
--
"A meeting is an event at which the minutes are kept and the hours are lost."

Gero Kunter

unread,
Feb 15, 2004, 7:26:58 PM2/15/04
to

Hmmm... My Very Lucky and Fate Smiling bard is able to play his instrument
once in a while even if stuck in webs, although he indeed fails most of the
time. Nonetheless, it seems quite likely that it's possible, at a low
success rate at least, to cast spells as well.

Cheers, Gero

--
Gero Kunter (gero....@epost.de)

Vladimir Panteleev

unread,
Feb 15, 2004, 7:40:49 PM2/15/04
to

IIRC, being a deaf female while attemting the frog quest. It was probably
because Thomas got annoyed of writing all the special messages for cases
when the PC is blind/deaf, so he expressed his emotions by the explosion >:]

Mikko Sorsa

unread,
Feb 16, 2004, 12:59:16 AM2/16/04
to

"Vladimir Panteleev" <pv_wer...@programist.ru> wrote
[Snip a rather impressive amount of death reasons]

>
> I was curious of the reasons of a few deaths myself and was
> inspecting "was extinguished by an exploding fluff ball". This
> happens when dipping fluff balls into water, but there's no space to
> generate the goblins. However, the game crashes when trying to do so:
> "Illegal die roll format '1310+11' (<+>, 1)."
> Thomas mustv'e missed a "d" between 13 and 10.
> RFE it, somebody. >:]
>
> --

Woah, Vladimir,

That's some really impressive disassembling yet again, you're a real gift
to this group, especially now that the Creator himself seems to have
rather little time for this wonderful game. I see that most, if not all,
reasons
on the list seem to have been explained away by people which also shows
how dedicated fans this game has. Now, about further disassembling,
is there a way to easily look through for example all the possible
strings Thundrarr can reply to you when in the dwarven city you can ask
him questions? That may not be the most interesting or important thing
to research, I'm sure that the more involved people in this group could come
up with almost countless tasks ;), and I hope that you have the time and
the patience to complete them, as it's always nice to find out new things
about a game you have played for ages.

Mikko


Kheldar

unread,
Feb 16, 2004, 9:03:28 AM2/16/04
to
"Mikko Sorsa" <mso...@ihatespam.welho.com> wrote in message news:<c0pm7f$t39$1...@nyytiset.pp.htv.fi>...

There is a OT topic from this topic already. This topic is quite
closed now. Post about death messages and other things there. And BTW
Mikko, thats interesting too, i have tried some and discovered some of
the questions, but full list would be nice!

Léon Planken

unread,
Feb 16, 2004, 10:52:33 AM2/16/04
to
I failed miserably to keep a straight face when I read that

on 15 Feb 2004 07:40:59 -0800, Laszlo wrote:
> "Zaxx" <olivier-benard_f***sp...@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message news:<c0nl7f$lib$1...@news-reader3.wanadoo.fr>...
>> Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>> >
>> > .
>> > .
>> > .
>> > .
>> > .
>> > .
>> > .
>> > .
>> > .
>> > ..
>> > .
>> > .
>> > .
>> > .
>> > .
>> > .
>> > .
>> > .
>> > .
>> > .
>> >
>> > died of exhaustion on a bad day
>>
>> LOL...
>> Generating an extremely low To char on monday?
>
> I'm pretty sure this can't heppen. But yes, I'd guess that's the
> message for it. All sources of damage have their own "cause of death"
> message, in case they kill the PC... even when this is not possible,
> like in this case.

This can happen allright. The damage is dealt every time you restore a
saved game on a monday. So if you've saved with low HP, don't restore
on a monday.

Léon (aka Oliphaunt)
--
"Linux is very fast.
It can do an infinite loop in about 5 seconds."
-- Linus Torvalds

Gero Kunter

unread,
Feb 16, 2004, 11:47:42 AM2/16/04
to
Léon Planken <lpla...@opposite-of-coldmail.com> wrote:

[ ... ]

> This can happen allright. The damage is dealt every time you restore a
> saved game on a monday. So if you've saved with low HP, don't restore
> on a monday.

This bug is fixed by now. I don't know which version has seen this change,
but it isn't possible to kill a character in this way in v.1.1.1.

Vladimir Panteleev

unread,
Feb 16, 2004, 2:26:32 PM2/16/04
to

No problem. I think it was already done before, but...

Try to enter any string beginning with the following:

quest, city, dwarf, dwarv, rolf, si, sis, gorko, groro, hello, greet,
bansh, gate, porta, griff, blood, ancie, high, king, phial, calad,
chaos, corru, sage, khela, gold, orc, ogre, axe, hamme, mace, glod,
smith, grizz, gladi, torga, innke, garth, train, walde, shop, etern,
guard, glod, fire, flame, terin.

Many of them do the same thing.

Vladimir Panteleev

unread,
Feb 16, 2004, 2:27:34 PM2/16/04
to

No problem. I think it was already done before, but...

Try to enter any string beginning with the following:

quest, city, dwarf, dwarv, rolf, si, sis, gorko, groro, hello, greet,
bansh, gate, porta, griff, blood, ancie, high, king, phial, calad,
chaos, corru, sage, khela, gold, orc, ogre, axe, hamme, mace, glod,
smith, grizz, gladi, torga, innke, garth, train, walde, shop, etern,
guard, glod, fire, flame, terin.

Many of them do the same thing.

--

Vladimir Panteleev

unread,
Feb 16, 2004, 2:27:44 PM2/16/04
to

No problem. I think it was already done before, but...

Try to enter any string beginning with the following:

quest, city, dwarf, dwarv, rolf, si, sis, gorko, groro, hello, greet,
bansh, gate, porta, griff, blood, ancie, high, king, phial, calad,
chaos, corru, sage, khela, gold, orc, ogre, axe, hamme, mace, glod,
smith, grizz, gladi, torga, innke, garth, train, walde, shop, etern,
guard, glod, fire, flame, terin.

Many of them do the same thing.

--

Vladimir Panteleev

unread,
Feb 16, 2004, 2:33:05 PM2/16/04
to
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:27:44 +0200, Vladimir Panteleev <pv_wer...@programist.ru> wrote:

[snip]

Whoops! Sorry 'bout that triple post! <:]

Laszlo

unread,
Feb 16, 2004, 5:29:03 PM2/16/04
to
Léon Planken <lpla...@opposite-of-coldmail.com> wrote in message news:<slrnc31pnv....@vulcanus.its.tudelft.nl>...

Well, it's Monday, and I did a simple test (saving and restoring a
character several times in quick succession), and no such thing
happened. The character was damaged exactly _once_; when he was
generated.

> Léon (aka Oliphaunt)

Laszlo

mike3

unread,
Feb 18, 2004, 3:16:22 AM2/18/04
to
Vladimir Panteleev <pv_wer...@programist.ru> wrote in message news:<opr3egji...@news.individual.net>...


Mmmhm. Would you mind trying it out with a CRC-disabled copy and
hacked save game to see if there is an unconditional jmp after the
'fail to decipher it' message from the Weird Tome pops up? Using GDB,
I saw that one existed in g12. Maybe one exists in these new versions
too. If so, then the scroll of omnipotence = hoax.

Could you suggest a free alternative to IDA? It costs a lot of
money...

Vladimir Panteleev

unread,
Feb 18, 2004, 5:58:07 PM2/18/04
to

The encrypted strings are missing from the Windows (and maybe Linux) version,
which means the compiler cut them out. I haven't started a disassembly on
the DOS version, but IIRC there were no cross references to that string.

> Could you suggest a free alternative to IDA? It costs a lot of
> money...

You might want to ask the Linuxoids out there... Also, you can request a free
trial version from the authors that can only disassemble Windows PE executables.
You can also download a trial version using peer-to-peer networks, but this way
you can also download a stolen full version...

mike3

unread,
Feb 19, 2004, 5:46:11 PM2/19/04
to
Vladimir Panteleev <pv_wer...@programist.ru> wrote in message news:<opr3k8q5...@news.individual.net>...


Yup. Well maybe the string is a hoax. Or maybe there is something but
we just don't know what exactly. Cryptanalysis seems the best route.

Erik

unread,
Feb 23, 2004, 1:16:18 PM2/23/04
to
On 7 Feb 2004 20:41:36 -0800, Doug B <doug_pr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Before you whine about my top posting, I'll have you know I dove on a
> grenade in the trenches of France in WWI and thus save 300 red blooded
> American soldiers, many of them your fathers and grandfathers and all
> the government gives me in return is an annual $20 gift certificate to
> the salvation army, so to make a long story short, the next person to
> bellyache about top posting is going to get a bayonet shoved so far up
> their ass it'll damage their blessed eternium cap from +9/+9 all the
> way to +1/-3


And I hate your posts in general, so this does not matter in any case!

--
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.

Stephen White

unread,
Feb 23, 2004, 2:18:58 PM2/23/04
to
Erik wrote:
> On 7 Feb 2004 20:41:36 -0800, Doug B <doug_pr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> [snip deranged ranting]

>
> And I hate your posts in general, so this does not matter in any case!

Please do not feed the trolls. If you don't like what he has to
say, killfile him like all the other regulars here have. Please
do NOT reply to him, especially if you do not snip what he had
to say, since then people who HAVE killfiled him still see it.

Erik

unread,
Feb 24, 2004, 3:24:08 PM2/24/04
to

I apologize for my rash actions in this manner, while I wasnot in a
sensible state of mind.

Stephen White

unread,
Feb 24, 2004, 5:01:30 PM2/24/04
to
Erik wrote:

> Stephen White wrote:
>
>> Erik wrote:
>>
>>> On 7 Feb 2004 20:41:36 -0800, Doug B <doug_pr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> [snip deranged ranting]
>>>
>>> And I hate your posts in general, so this does not matter in any case!
>>
>> Please do not feed the trolls. If you don't like what he has to
>> say, killfile him like all the other regulars here have. Please
>> do NOT reply to him, especially if you do not snip what he had
>> to say, since then people who HAVE killfiled him still see it.
>
> I apologize for my rash actions in this manner, while I wasnot in a
> sensible state of mind.

Fair enough :) Such an apology wasn't really expected (or required),
but I won't object now that its here :) We all have our off days.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages