Ok, this IMHO warrants a new posting: After a very long time (812 days to be precise) we now are providing a new public release for ADOM.
Everyone now will be able to play ADOM 2.3.8 (release 81) and enjoy the progress of more than two years of work. Hopefully, never again so much time will pass between two releases. The changes are too numerous to recount:
* completely revised user interface & HUD & tons of graphical refinements
* animated monsters
* extensive support for mouse-based play
* tons of new support for new players (like quick hints, better mouse support, simplified key mappings, etc.)
* tons of bug fixes and minor improvements
See the changelog for a full list of changes - it's everything from release 60 upwards in the list!
There have been some changes that people ask about very often:
* ADOM now sports a dialog system and speech bubbles for dialogs. Some of the info dialogs can be deactivated if you don't like them (Show_Info_Boxes = false in the configuration accessible via '='). Speech bubbles and most selection dialogs can't be deactivated though. If you find them less efficient than the old way, please submit appropriate criticism and ideas for enhancement.
* ADOM now offers quick hints that explain how to access certain commands. If you don't need them or find them disturbing you can deactivate those, too (Quick_Hint_Limit = 0 in the configuration accessible via '=').
* The pick and drop commands have been completely rewritten. They now are much more consistent and powerful but you need to get accustomed to them if your muscle memory is trained on the old system. For experienced ADOM players we recommend that you familiarize yourself with all the options and play around a little with it. It's different than before but all options are there (and more).
Generally we believe that these (and other changes) are highly beneficial, especially also for new players. If you are very experienced with ADOM it will take a moment to adjust but our experience is that this goes quickly!
The blog announcement can be found here:
For those who don't yet know (do they exist here ;-) ? ): ADOM 2.3.8 is a fully playable roguelike game with extensive RPG elements and huge background world. Including graphics, quests, dozens of races and classes, a skill system, an extensive magic system, a completely revised and modernized user interface with extensive support for new players and naturally tons of bug fixes since the last public release. Press F10 in the game to switch between ASCII and graphical mode.
ADOM 2.3.8 can be downloaded from two locations:
(for the major variants for the big three platforms plus graphics)
(for the minor variants like ASCII-only)
Files are still uploading and probably will need a couple of more hours but the Windows version already is available at IndieDB:http://www.indiedb.com/games/adom-ancient-domains-of-mystery/downloads/adom-238-release-81-for-windows
If you find problems or have ideas for improvement please submit them at
The discussion forums offer help and lots of information:
The following links will keep you updated about current ongoings:
If you enjoy the free version and would like to upgrade to the Deluxe version with many extra features (selectable star signs, fully customizable character generation, point-based attribute generation, many extra game modes, achievements, ...) please go to
And now enjoy playing the latest version of ADOM. We are curious about your feedback!
Thomas Biskup & Team ADOM