@*#$&! YASD!

Loves a Dustbin

Nov 1, 2000, 11:55:56 PM11/1/00

A few days old, but the pain still lingers. This little guy might have gone
all the way.

> Screenshot

> ####################### ###########
> #......./}../.........# #./.['..}[#
> #.........#.#########.####################################### #.#......[#
> #.........#./.....}..........................}......../.....# #.#...^...#
> #.........###########.#########################.......#####.###.#@<...."#
> #.........# #.....# #.......# #.....#!?[[((.#
> ########### #####.# #.......# ###.###########
> #.# #.......# #...#
> #.############### #.......# #.#.###########
> #.......#.......# #.......# #.#.[.........#
> ###############################.#.......###################.###.........#
> #......./...*...............................................# #.........#
> #.......#########################.......##################### #.........#
> #.......# #.......# #.........#
> ######### ######### ###########

>Milton St:17 Le:12 Wi:10 Dx:15 To: 9 Ch:12 Ap: 3 Ma:13 Pe:23 N+
>DV/PV: 27/33 H: -16(109) P: 61(61) Exp: 20/545597 OC Sp: 110
>Strained!

Once cleared out, I use the ogre cave as my home base for the midgame. That
stuff lying around the entry room is mine.

So anyway, there I was. I'd just saved Khel via a Darkforge wish and was
preparing to go down to the dwarven portal. I never ask about it before I see
it, even though I know I can. I just don't consider it sporting, that's all.
I stopped at "base camp" to re-arrange my equipment and drop unnecessary
baggage. But before leaving, I thought, "Hmm. Brass bracers, Moon Sickle,
useless potions of potential beauty. I wonder if I can parlay this into
bracers of regeneration or something?"

Picture, if you will, a particularly morbid variation on Looney Tunes, with my
hapless hurthling archer as Daffy Duck. That about says it all. Very first
dip, the brass bracers glow green just long enough for me to whimper
"M-m-mother," then I get four corruptions an instant before the explosion kills
me outright. Crap.

> Background Information

>Name: Milton Race: male Hurthling Class: Archer
>Eye color: blue Hair color: brown Complexion: light
>Height: 3'1" Weight: 8 pounds

Yup. 8 pounds. That'll happen when over half your mass is decorating a wall
somewhere.

(Yes, yes, I know it's actually the "very light" corruption, but cut me some
slack, will ya? I have to make jokes about this one, or I'm gonna end up
smashing my head against the wall and swearing off the game for good.)

>Age: 51 (grown-up, 15 years of unnatural aging added in)
>Star sign: Raven Birthday: 27/Raven (day 27 of the year)

[SNIP history]

> Inventory
>Total weight: 3074 stones Carrying capacity: 1800 stones

>Head : uncursed adamantium cap [+0, +2] [36s]
>Neck : uncursed amulet of light [3s]
>Body : uncursed white dragon scale mail (-2, -4) [+1, +11] [200s]

Found on the ground circa D11.

>Girdle : -
>Cloak : uncursed cloak of defense [+3, +0] [20s]
>Right Hand : rustproof uncursed phase dagger (+0, 1d4) [5s]

Found in a mixed-race vault circa D13. Actually found broken; you have no idea
how depressing the phrase "broken gray dagger" can be. Waldenbrook helped me
out, but it didn't come cheap. Turns out there was an iron golem in the same
vault. I do so love it when a plan comes together. :)

>Left Hand : uncursed tower shield (-2) [+7, +2] [150s]
>Right Ring : blessed ring of damage [1s]
>Left Ring : blessed ring of damage [1s]
>Bracers : rustproof blessed bracers of resistance [+0, +2] [10s]
>Gauntlets : uncursed black dragon-hide gauntlets (-2, +0) [+0, +2][10s]

Pretty insane luck finding good stuff!

>Boots : uncursed heavy boots [-1, +2] [30s]
>Missile weapon: uncursed light crossbow (+2, +0) [70s]
>Missiles : bundle of 3 blessed quarrels (+1, 2d6) [6s]

Yeah, I know hurthlings are suppose to throw rocks, and to that I say: get
real. That high skill will *save your bacon* in the early game, but they don't
make rocks of slaying.

>Tool : -

> Stuff

>Total weight: 2532 stones Carrying capacity: 1800 stones

[Uninteresting stuff snipped throughout]

>Armor ('[')
> uncursed elven chain mail [+0, +5] [10s]
> uncursed ancient mummy wrapping [+1, +5] {Ap-8} [60s]

Repeat after me. "Backup equipment is good. Backup equipment that doesn't
weigh very much is even better."

>Girdles ('[')
> blessed girdle of carrying [+0, +0] [15s]
> uncursed girdle of carrying [+0, +0] [15s]

Not currently worn because I wanted to be no more than strained without these,
in case a door trap smoked 'em or something.

>Bracers (',')
> uncursed bracers of resistance [+0, +0] [10s]

Still can't believe I found two of these. Good stuff, Maynard.

>One-handed weapons ('(')
> uncursed orcish spear (+1, 1d8+3) [75s]
> blessed hatchet (+0, 1d6+1) [50s]
> uncursed pick axe (+0, 1d6+1) [75s]
> uncursed orcish spear (+2, 1d8+2) [75s]

Pole arms are nearly always my weapon of choice, but that phase dagger. . .

YA HAPPY NOW, ya spiteful hunk of @*#!&$?

>Missile weapons ('}')

Two slings, two bows, and a rusty crossbow.

>Missiles ('*')
> heap of 2 blessed rocks (+1, 1d4+3) [10s]

Rocks kept for emergency use when no slaying ammo was applicable.

> bundle of 5 uncursed quarrels of undead slaying (+3, 2d6+3) [20s]
> heap of 5 uncursed rocks (+0, 1d4+3) [25s]
> bundle of 7 uncursed quarrels (+1, 2d6) [14s]
> blessed quarrel (+4, 2d6) [2s]
> heap of 8 uncursed rocks (+0, 1d4) [40s]
> bundle of 4 blessed adamantium quarrels (+3, 2d6+6) [4s]
> bundle of 4 uncursed quarrels of undead slaying (+4, 2d6+3) [16s]
> heap of 5 blessed rocks (+0, 1d4) [25s]
> bundle of 4 uncursed quarrels of giant slaying (+3, 2d8+3) [16s]
> bundle of 7 uncursed arrows of undead slaying (+3, 2d4+6) [14s]
> bundle of 4 blessed arrows of construct slaying (+3, 1d6+3) [8s]

Had 8 when I entered Darkforge, lost four clearing a path to the pool room.
WOW! I knew slaying ammo made a difference, but great merciful Zot! Lightning
Ball's about the only thing I can think of that kills steel golems more
effectively than these!

> bundle of 8 uncursed quarrels of undead slaying (+3, 2d6) [32s]
> heap of 5 uncursed rocks (+1, 1d4) [25s]
> bundle of 5 blessed quarrels of demon slaying (+3, 2d6+3) [20s]

A tip for those who want it; quarrels of slaying are easily spotted by their
light brown color and their weight of 4s each, as opposed to regular quarrels'
light gray color and 2s weight. Arrows of slaying, OTOH, look and weigh the
same as regular arrows. I prefer crossbows for this reason.

>Tools (']')

Nothing really fancy.

>Rings ('=')

Two *more* rings of damage, assorted resistance rings, and a ring of speed.

>Wands ('\')

Snip most, but check it out:

> uncursed wand of destruction (4 charges) [3s]

> uncursed wand of destruction (2 charges) [3s]

Yeah. Two of 'em. Never had that before. Guess I had those switches covered,
not that it matters now.

>Scrolls ('?')

Basic dungeoneering supplies, plus 2 blessed SoCR's with 8 more in storage.
Khel + dwarven mystic, of course.

> Weapon Skills

Nothing noteworthy. Thrown rocks still highest missile skill at level 7, but
crossbows at level 5 catching up. FWIW, if you have construct slaying ammo,
steel golems are worth *tons* of marks. I trained bows from nothing to level
four on only nine steel golems in Darkforge this way.

> Skills

Snipped.

> Spells

> Burning Hands : 35, 13pp (Effectivity: +0)
> Darkness : 45, 6pp (Effectivity: +0)
> Lightning Bolt : 11, 22pp (Effectivity: +0)
> Strength of Atlas: 1, 19pp (Effectivity: +0)

Actually gained by reading books in an attempt to raise Learning. Might have
worked, but died first.

> Effects of Corruption

>Your muscles have stiffened slowing you down (base action cost: 1500 energy
>points; PV: +4, St: +2).
>You exhale sulphur (Ch: -4).

These two I had prior to the explosion.

>You have become very light (1/10 weight, St: -6, Dx: +4, To: -6, Ap: -6, +20
>speed).

This one especially ticks me off. When I made the fateful dip, I was at 15
Toughness and 134 HP. HP as listed above are -16 out of 109. That tells me I
still would have survived without this one corruption. AAAAUUUUGH!

>Your skin is covered by tough scales (PV: +8, Dx: -6, Ap: -4).
>Your feet have been transformed into hooves (+8 kicking damage, Dx: -6).
>You rage (DV: -9, +6 melee damage)!

Yeah, you bit I did, for a while! :)

> His achievements during his adventures:

Boring stuff snipped.

>Milton, the hurthling archer, was killed by believing in the promises of
>Chaos.

If you ever wanted to know how .flg's list death by corruption bomb, there it
is.

>He saved Khelavaster from certain death.

And thus preserved Our Lady Irony for generations to come.

>He possessed the following intrinsics:
> He was fire resistant (enhanced through an item).
> He was poison resistant.
> He was cold resistant (gained through an item).
> He was acid resistant (enhanced through an item).
> He was lucky.
> Fate smiled upon him.

Yeah. Sure it did.

> He was sleep resistant (gained through an item).
> He was able to control teleportation.
> He was resistant to death rays (gained through an item).

Do bracers of resistance always grant this and sleep resist, or is it random,
kind of like in Angband?

> He was shock resistant (enhanced through an item).
> He was immune to ice attacks (gained through an item).

>He was severely tainted by Chaos.

(sniff) Go ahead, rub it in. :(

>The following monsters were vanquished:

> 9 steel golems

Phase dagger. Slaying ammo. Bracers of resistance. Wand of
get-me-the-expletive-deleted-outta-here, aka teleport. Sometimes, that's all
ya need.

> 1 wild cat

Tried to lose the little creep in a darkened room, ended up stepping on him
instead. I never used to continue games after an accidental felicide, but it
finally dawned on me: I lose *a lot* of good characters that way. So I
pressed on. My new quit threshold is three dead kitties; we'll see how it
works out.

So in closing, let this be a lesson to you! Death by dipping is real! Thanks
for reading, good luck, and may all your foes be edible!

TTFN,
Loves A Dustbin
#include <stdwittytagline.h>
I can be reached at gte, a network domain.

Graeme Dice

Nov 2, 2000, 1:44:30 AM11/2/00
Loves a Dustbin wrote:

> A few days old, but the pain still lingers. This little guy might have gone
> all the way.

I hate it when you get those. My three worst YASD's are:
1). Being death rayed by an Emperor Lich that I couldn't see while
carrying _both_ the Bracers of war and an amulet of death ray
resistance. I wasn't wearing the bracers to save on food, and had an
amulet of light on. One level 50 dwarven mindcrafter who panics emperor
liches in a single turn down the tubes.

Here's a picture.
##/#### #.#
#.......#
#.....# #.#
#.......#
#.....##########
#[####################.......#
#...../..@......
#..................../.......#
################
##############################
DV/PV: 30/37 H: 0(855) P: 849(864) Exp: 50/69904638 I58
LE: 1000

The next was a 50th level gnomish elementalist that corrupted himself to
death with the mana orb while standing two steps away from the greater
white unicorn. The last was a farmer got the stiff muscles two turns
before meeting a greater moloch, and just a little while after being
worked over by a greater undead vault.

> Yeah, I know hurthlings are suppose to throw rocks, and to that I say: get
> real. That high skill will *save your bacon* in the early game, but they don't
> make rocks of slaying.

Yes they do. They're called:
heap of 43 uncursed rocks (+0, 1d4) [215s]
Combined with:
Slings 15 +30 +22 +5 Grand Mastery
Thrown rocks & clubs 15 +30 +22 +5 Grand Mastery

Makes:
Ammunition: 43, base range: 7, +148 bonus to hit, 1d4+60 damage

The pluses are so huge that they will get through anything other than
molochs. Use slaying bullets on those.

That's all I had left at the end from over 1000 at the beginning of the
mana temple.

> > 1 wild cat
>
> Tried to lose the little creep in a darkened room, ended up stepping on him
> instead. I never used to continue games after an accidental felicide, but it
> finally dawned on me: I lose *a lot* of good characters that way. So I
> pressed on. My new quit threshold is three dead kitties; we'll see how it
> works out.

If you've killed one cat, you might as well keep going no matter how
many you kill. The Cat lord is easy with missile weapons.

> So in closing, let this be a lesson to you! Death by dipping is real! Thanks
> for reading, good luck, and may all your foes be edible!

Graeme Dice
butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet,
balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying,
take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations,
analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer,
cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
-- Robert A. Heinlin

Robert Forshaw

Nov 2, 2000, 2:53:52 PM11/2/00
> If you've killed one cat, you might as well keep going no matter how
> many you kill. The Cat lord is easy with missile weapons.

Assuming you do have a good missile attack. And assuming he doesn't
reach you first and start meleeing you. The cat lord can become
tremendously dangerous after about 30 cats or so (DV doesn't save
you).
--
Robert Forshaw --

mat...@lineone.net --

Graeme Dice

Nov 2, 2000, 7:39:46 PM11/2/00
Robert Forshaw wrote:

> > If you've killed one cat, you might as well keep going no matter how
> > many you kill. The Cat lord is easy with missile weapons.
>
> Assuming you do have a good missile attack. And assuming he doesn't
> reach you first and start meleeing you. The cat lord can become
> tremendously dangerous after about 30 cats or so (DV doesn't save
> you).

The six times I've killed him were at 25 cats, 21 cats, 23 cats, 14
cats, 40 cats, and 22 cats. He's never been a challenge.

Graeme Dice
--
"In Paris they simply stared when I spoke to them in French; I never did
succeed in making those idiots understand their own language."

Nicholas Taylor

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
loves.a...@dev.null (Loves a Dustbin) writes:

> (Yes, yes, I know it's actually ***************************, but cut me some

> slack, will ya? I have to make jokes about this one, or I'm gonna end up
> smashing my head against the wall and swearing off the game for good.)

You'd be back. Unless you smashed your head *very* hard against the
wall, in which case you'd probably just dribble a bit.

> I do so love it when a plan comes together. :)

The pleasure of the experience is enhanced by its rarity, IMO.

> Pretty insane luck finding good stuff!

Why could you not be satisfied with what you had? I dunno, history of
human troubles and all that...

> Repeat after me. "Backup equipment is good. Backup equipment that doesn't
> weigh very much is even better."

Erm, the congregation's *that* way. This is the choir...

> Yeah. Two of 'em. Never had that before. Guess I had those ******** covered,

> not that it matters now.

Better to have them and not get that far than to get that far and find
that you have to take the brute-force approach to the problem.
Although, if possible, I like to do both. Redundancy is good.

> So in closing, let this be a lesson to you! Death by dipping is real! Thanks
> for reading, good luck, and may all your foes be edible!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Mmm... more food for KJ, methinks...
--
Nicholas Taylor - please reply to the Reply-To
The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.

Andy Williams

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
Loves A Dustbin wrote:

> Graeme Dice wrote:

> > <about rocks and Grand Mastery>

> > The pluses are so huge that they will get through anything other than
> > molochs.

> > Use slaying bullets on those.

> WHAT? These exist? Is there an easy way to distinguish them? Distinctive
> weight, different color, that sort of thing?

sling bullet of demon slaying 3s M(+3, 2d3) !Demo sling bullet
--
Andy Williams - real address andywlms at ct2 dot nai dot net
ADOM Guidebook under development at:

Loves A Dustbin

Nov 14, 2000, 10:44:29 PM11/14/00
Graeme Dice <grd...@ieee.org> wrote:

>Loves a Dustbin wrote:

>> A few days old, but the pain still lingers. This little guy might have gone
>> all the way.
>>

>I hate it when you get those. My three worst YASD's are:
>1). Being death rayed by an Emperor Lich that I couldn't see while
>carrying _both_ the Bracers of war and an amulet of death ray
>resistance. I wasn't wearing the bracers to save on food, and had an
>amulet of light on. One level 50 dwarven mindcrafter who panics emperor
>liches in a single turn down the tubes.

OUCH! Okay, you win. :)

>The next was a 50th level gnomish elementalist that corrupted himself to
>death with the mana orb while standing two steps away from the greater
>white unicorn.

Uh. . . why? Is it similar to my reasons for trying to dial-up another good
set of bracers with two sets of bracers of resistance on my person? :)

>The last was a farmer got the stiff muscles two turns
>before meeting a greater moloch, and just a little while after being
>worked over by a greater undead vault.

Unfairness like *that* almost justifies save-backing. Almost. Except. . .
what were you doing messing around with a greater undead vault in the first
place? Those show up fairly late; didn't you have some means of escape by
then?

>> Yeah, I know hurthlings are suppose to throw rocks, and to that I say: get
>> real. That high skill will *save your bacon* in the early game, but they don't
>> make rocks of slaying.
>>

>Yes they do. They're called:
>heap of 43 uncursed rocks (+0, 1d4) [215s]
>Combined with:
>Slings 15 +30 +22 +5 Grand Mastery
>Thrown rocks & clubs 15 +30 +22 +5 Grand Mastery
>
>Makes:
>Ammunition: 43, base range: 7, +148 bonus to hit, 1d4+60 damage
>
>The pluses are so huge that they will get through anything other than
>molochs.

Okay, impressive numbers, but consider: unlike melee weapon skills, missile
skills confer the same boni in each category for a given level of skill. So
take that damage, given the same skill level in bows/crossbows, and *multiply*
it by whatever the slaying multiplier is for the appropriate slaying ammo.
*That* is swift chunky death, and when something truly fearsome is headed my
way, I don't want to just "get through," I want it DEAD RIGHT NOW. (However,
see below regarding bullets of slaying.)

Or are you trying to say that use of rocks with a sling confers the boni for
both missile skills? That would be something else indeed, but my experience
hasn't borne this out--though I admit I haven't been paying really close
attention. I just unequip the sling in an early-game emergency and throw the
rocks barehanded, thinking I'll get the higher skill boni without the sling.
It's worked so far, but there may be a better way.

>Use slaying bullets on those.

WHAT? These exist? Is there an easy way to distinguish them? Distinctive

weight, different color, that sort of thing?

If I can find some slaying bullets, and if sling+rocks uses both missile
skills, my hurhtlings may end up not switching missile weapons after all.

Loves A Dustbin

Nov 14, 2000, 10:44:34 PM11/14/00
Spoiler

space

re-inserted

for

your

reading

pleasure.

Or

something

like

that.

"Robert Forshaw" <mat...@lineone.net> wrote:

> Graeme Dice <grd...@ieee.org> wrote:

>> If you've killed one cat, you might as well keep going no matter how
>> many you kill. The Cat lord is easy with missile weapons.
>
>Assuming you do have a good missile attack. And assuming he doesn't
>reach you first and start meleeing you. The cat lord can become
>tremendously dangerous after about 30 cats or so (DV doesn't save
>you).

That sound you hear is my jaw dropping to the floor in astonishment. THIRTY
cats?!? IME he's bloody near impossible at a half dozen! Now, I'll admit I
haven't made it that far in a long, long time, so maybe I'm a better player now
than the last time I fought him. And maybe melee and bolt spells (which he
always resisted) aren't the best way to go about it in any case. I also may be
thinking of G12, which I played right up until G16.2--has he been toned down
between now and then?

Even so--THIRTY? That's suicide without some magic map/teleport magic!

Loves A Dustbin

Nov 14, 2000, 10:44:23 PM11/14/00
Nicholas Taylor <empero...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>loves.a...@dev.null (Loves a Dustbin) writes:
>

>> (Yes, yes, I know it's actually ***************************, but cut me some

>> slack, will ya? I have to make jokes about this one, or I'm gonna end up
>> smashing my head against the wall and swearing off the game for good.)
>

>You'd be back. Unless you smashed your head *very* hard against the
>wall, in which case you'd probably just dribble a bit.

Maybe, but a couple of years ago, I would have told you I'd never get sick of
Zangband, and now here I am.

>> I do so love it when a plan comes together. :)
>

>The pleasure of the experience is enhanced by its rarity, IMO.

Uh-huh. Works the opposite way too--yesterday's trollish healer found a
blessed AoLS at random in a UD vault, only to have it digested by giant slug
breath in Keethrax' cave. Not making *that* mistake again. . .

>> Pretty insane luck finding good stuff!
>

>Why could you not be satisfied with what you had? I dunno, history of
>human troubles and all that...

I knew there was a risk, but I thought there was at least one good dip in my
future, and I'd rather have almost any kind of bracers than plain brass ones.

>> Repeat after me. "Backup equipment is good. Backup equipment that doesn't
>> weigh very much is even better."
>

>Erm, the congregation's *that* way. This is the choir...

Yeah, yeah, I know, but I never know who's reading. I see new folks in here
all the time, and who knows how many people just downloaded ADOM for the first
time last week or so and are just now discovering the game and the newsgroup.

>> Yeah. Two of 'em. Never had that before. Guess I had those ******** covered,

>> not that it matters now.
>

>Better to have them and not get that far than to get that far and find
>that you have to take the brute-force approach to the problem.

>Although, if possible, I like to do both. Redundancy is good.

Well, having 'em and not using 'em is a bit of a disappointment, eh?

>> So in closing, let this be a lesson to you! Death by dipping is real! Thanks
>> for reading, good luck, and may all your foes be edible!

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Mmm... more food for KJ, methinks...

<chuckle> Ooh, my first one!

Graeme Dice

Nov 14, 2000, 11:05:29 PM11/14/00
Loves A Dustbin wrote:

> Graeme Dice <grd...@ieee.org> wrote:
>
> >Loves a Dustbin wrote:

> >> A few days old, but the pain still lingers. This little guy might have gone
> >> all the way.
> >>

> >I hate it when you get those. My three worst YASD's are:
> >1). Being death rayed by an Emperor Lich that I couldn't see while
> >carrying _both_ the Bracers of war and an amulet of death ray
> >resistance. I wasn't wearing the bracers to save on food, and had an
> >amulet of light on. One level 50 dwarven mindcrafter who panics emperor
> >liches in a single turn down the tubes.
>
> OUCH! Okay, you win. :)

Heh, that was mildly annoying to say the least.

> >The next was a 50th level gnomish elementalist that corrupted himself to
> >death with the mana orb while standing two steps away from the greater
> >white unicorn.
>
> Uh. . . why? Is it similar to my reasons for trying to dial-up another good
> set of bracers with two sets of bracers of resistance on my person? :)

I was trying to raise his mana, and was planning to use the Unicorn to
remove corruptions. Got greedy, and pressed 'u' once too many times.

> >The last was a farmer got the stiff muscles two turns
> >before meeting a greater moloch, and just a little while after being
> >worked over by a greater undead vault.
>
> Unfairness like *that* almost justifies save-backing. Almost. Except. . .
> what were you doing messing around with a greater undead vault in the first
> place? Those show up fairly late; didn't you have some means of escape by
> then?

I did, I got arrogant with level 14 in polearms and the rune-covered
trident. Got back at another greater undead vault with the above
elementalist at around level 32.

> >> Yeah, I know hurthlings are suppose to throw rocks, and to that I say: get
> >> real. That high skill will *save your bacon* in the early game, but they don't
> >> make rocks of slaying.
> >>

> >Yes they do. They're called:
> >heap of 43 uncursed rocks (+0, 1d4) [215s]
> >Combined with:
> >Slings 15 +30 +22 +5 Grand Mastery
> >Thrown rocks & clubs 15 +30 +22 +5 Grand Mastery
> >
> >Makes:
> >Ammunition: 43, base range: 7, +148 bonus to hit, 1d4+60 damage
> >
> >The pluses are so huge that they will get through anything other than
> >molochs.
>
> Okay, impressive numbers, but consider: unlike melee weapon skills, missile
> skills confer the same boni in each category for a given level of skill. So
> take that damage, given the same skill level in bows/crossbows, and *multiply*
> it by whatever the slaying multiplier is for the appropriate slaying ammo.
> *That* is swift chunky death, and when something truly fearsome is headed my
> way, I don't want to just "get through," I want it DEAD RIGHT NOW. (However,
> see below regarding bullets of slaying.)

That's right..

> Or are you trying to say that use of rocks with a sling confers the boni for
> both missile skills?

No, if you read this in it, then I didn't make my point clear enough.

>That would be something else indeed, but my experience
> hasn't borne this out--though I admit I haven't been paying really close
> attention. I just unequip the sling in an early-game emergency and throw the
> rocks barehanded, thinking I'll get the higher skill boni without the sling.
> It's worked so far, but there may be a better way.
>
> >Use slaying bullets on those.
>
> WHAT? These exist? Is there an easy way to distinguish them? Distinctive
> weight, different color, that sort of thing?

Don't remember, I think that they were "a lead bullet of demon slaying",
and "a bullet of crashing 6d6".

> If I can find some slaying bullets, and if sling+rocks uses both missile
> skills, my hurhtlings may end up not switching missile weapons after all.

Slings+rocks doesn't use both skills, but slaying bullets are possible
to find, although much rarer than slaying arrows and crossbows.

Graeme Dice
--
"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the
balls to live in the real world." — Mary Shafer, NASA Ames

Graeme Dice

Nov 14, 2000, 11:06:57 PM11/14/00

I've never made it that far in G16p2, all my wins are in G12.

> Even so--THIRTY? That's suicide without some magic map/teleport magic!

Blessed seven league boots, and high missile skills are what I tend to
use.

Graeme Dice
--
"You are 87% water; the other 13% keeps you from drowning."
— P. E. Morris.

Rachel Walmsley

Nov 14, 2000, 11:18:47 PM11/14/00

I've never found him too difficult and I've often gone through the game
just killing cats as if they were no different to any other creature (ie
pretty much every one I see). I've never counted but I'd imagine I've
killed him after killing 30 or so cats. Melee is possible with a very
buff character with healing potions or good standing with their god,
decent missile skills and seven league boots work well too (even if it
can take a little while. I'm sure teleport or seven league boots with
Wi>31 ball spells would work too. He's easy enough to kill, you just need
to be able to cope with the great damage he can dish out.

RW.

Markku Rikola

Nov 15, 2000, 2:33:45 AM11/15/00

One word: webs.

-- Markku Rikola (21st century schizoid boy)

FluffyBunny

Nov 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/15/00
Loves A Dustbin smiled evilly, and whispered :

>Spoiler
>

>space
>

>re-inserted
>

>for
>

>your
>

>reading
>

>pleasure.
>

>Or
>

>something
>

>like
>

>that.

>>> If you've killed one cat, you might as well keep going no matter how
>>> many you kill. The Cat lord is easy with missile weapons.
>>
>>Assuming you do have a good missile attack. And assuming he doesn't
>>reach you first and start meleeing you. The cat lord can become
>>tremendously dangerous after about 30 cats or so (DV doesn't save
>>you).
>
>That sound you hear is my jaw dropping to the floor in astonishment.
>THIRTY cats?!? IME he's bloody near impossible at a half dozen!

Funny - I always kill any cats I see without thinking about it, and of the
6 or 7 times I've made it to the cat lord hes only killed me once.

Fluffy
--
"Obviously stupid people shouldn't be using unix!!!!!"
Chris Lambert, ukc.nethelp

Alexander Deubelbeiss

Nov 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/15/00

Graeme Dice schrieb in Nachricht
<3A120ABF...@nospam.sk.sympatico.ca>...

>"a bullet of crashing 6d6".

Sounds like a bug to me ;)))

Rachel Walmsley

Nov 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/15/00
Rumour has it that Alexander Deubelbeiss once said:

> Graeme Dice schrieb in Nachricht
> <3A120ABF...@nospam.sk.sympatico.ca>...
>

> >"a bullet of crashing 6d6".
> >
> Sounds like a bug to me ;)))

Nah, you're thinking of the dagger of crashing 1d4 [+52 +7] :-)

RW.

Olivier Benard

Nov 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/16/00
Loves A Dustbin <loves.a...@dev.null> wrote in message :
3a120753...@news.gte.net...

> >I hate it when you get those. My three worst YASD's are:
> >1). Being death rayed by an Emperor Lich that I couldn't see while
> >carrying _both_ the Bracers of war and an amulet of death ray
> >resistance. I wasn't wearing the bracers to save on food, and had an
> >amulet of light on. One level 50 dwarven mindcrafter who panics emperor
> >liches in a single turn down the tubes.
>
> OUCH! Okay, you win. :)
>
> >The next was a 50th level gnomish elementalist that corrupted himself to
> >death with the mana orb while standing two steps away from the greater
> >white unicorn.

What about that: dying of starvation in Munxip's shop just after having paid
for a large ration without the time to eat it ("You pay for the large
ration. You die...").

Nicholas Taylor

Nov 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/16/00
loves.a...@dev.null (Loves A Dustbin) writes:

> Nicholas Taylor <empero...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >You'd be back. Unless you smashed your head *very* hard against the
> >wall, in which case you'd probably just dribble a bit.
>
> Maybe, but a couple of years ago, I would have told you I'd never get sick of
> Zangband, and now here I am.

I tend to alternate between the two. That's when real life doesn't
offer enough interest and frustration to make Roguelikes redundant.

> I knew there was a risk, but I thought there was at least one good *** in my

> future, and I'd rather have almost any kind of bracers than plain brass ones.

I'd rather have brass bracers, and my life.

> >Better to have them and not get that far than to get that far and find
> >that you have to take the brute-force approach to the problem.
> >Although, if possible, I like to do both. Redundancy is good.
>
> Well, having 'em and not using 'em is a bit of a disappointment, eh?

Not as disappointing as getting the mana battery corruption just as
you're getting ready to use them, and having no SoCR left. I hate
balance. Of course, finding my one unidentified potion was a PoCC made
me feel so much better about that.

--
Nicholas Taylor - please reply to the Reply-To

A friend in need is a friend indeed
A friend with weed is better
-- Go on, guess