Hung Helen - Big Surprise - HD

Andera Durling

Dec 7, 2023, 10:22:20 PM12/7/23
If you’re reading this in your inbox, you can find a shareable version online here. You can follow me on Twitter here, and Instagram here — and you can always reach me at annehelenpetersen gmail.com.

Later in the morning we made preparations for a barbecue. A fire was kindled at the bottom of a deep hole in the ground, big sticks were laid crosswise at the top, and meat was hung from them and turned on spits. Around the fire squatted negroes, driving away the flies with long branches. The savory odor of the meat made me hungry long before the tables were set.

Hung Helen - Big Surprise - HD
Download https://tlniurl.com/2wJ2Ty

I recall my surprise on discovering that a mysterious hand had stripped the trees and bushes, leaving only here and there a wrinkled brown leaf. The birds had flown, and their empty nests in the bare trees were filled with snow. Winter was on hill and field. The earth seemed benumbed by his icy touch, and the very spirits of the trees had withdrawn to their roots, and there, curled up in the dark mould, lay fast asleep. All life seemed to have ebbed away, and even when the sun shone the day was

By contrast, in her LIFE shoot, Frankenthaler sits calmly but assuredly with her legs politely folded under her in a button-up shirt, tied into a knot over a shin-length skirt. She is perched on one of her paintings, laid horizontally on the floor. Where Pollock is positioned to dominate his single, hung painting, Frankenthaler is surrounded in every direction by more of her paintings, engulfed by soft swaths of paint.

Movies about drug addiction are also, sometimes, hung up on the fetishes and compulsions surrounding drugs. If we get a closeup of one needle penetrating the flesh in "The Panic in Needle Park," we get half a dozen. This is too many; the physical reality interrupts our identification with fictional characters. The first actor in "Panic" to stick the needle in, in closeup, is Warren Finnerty, who was doing the same scene 10 years earlier in Shirley Clarke's "The Connection."

The states roll away behind us as we speed along. I have just turned my watch back an hour noting at the moment with regret that lunch time which I had thought at hand was still that much off. Doing nothing is frightfully hard work and develops an enormous appetite.

I have found a copy of Vancouver's Voyages on board and have spent most of the morning delving in it. It is fascinating to me to read of the early explorers of any region and he tells there of the discovery of Puget Sound where he scattered with a liberal hand the names of all his officers and friends on bays channels and mountains. Mts Ranier, Baker, St Helens, Puget Sound, St George's Channel etc. are names thus given and still familiar, besides a host of others.

Emerson sits opposite me writing like myself and has just remarked how fortunate it was that there seemed to be not a single "cad" in the party - in so large a crowd not less more less remarkable (it is less I mean after all) than pleasant. There are some young "digs" of the Greenman type who are far from interesting but they are unobtrusive and most of the men are pleasant companionable fellows.

Emerson has just regaled me with a cheerful account of how he was smashed up in a railway train of this line at a point we passed this morning. It was in 93 [?]. Leg, arm and ribs broken, head cut etc. etc. For all that he is alive and cheerful now. He is only 55 years old instead of the 70 he looks and I thought him.

For breakfast I had most appetizing narratives from Prof. Brewer of various methods of execution of which he had been witness, hanging guillotine etc. and of how the chief actors in them obtained the quietus. Still I did justice to my strawberries and mackerel and am now as hungry as "seven lions" as Emerson says.
Lunch is over - Chicago at hand and I must close this and send it off before we start off for the afternoon. We most of us go out to the Field Columbian Museum and at 7 dine with Mr. Harriman at the Auditorium. I sat at lunch with Mrs. Harriman who had heard about me and our affairs thusly. A friend of Miss Ruck's [Rock's?] who was going to the wedding told Mrs. H. that her party was interfering sadly with the ceremony having carried off the best man who in turn had postponed his wedding in order to go!! So, she said, we ladies consider it our duty to be specially kind to you in your bereavement!

Do not however be afraid - the ladies except the married ones are much too young to be dangerous!
Good-day and many greetings from your devoted

My dear -
I am very much ashamed that yesterday passed without my getting off a letter to you. The trouble was that I did not start early and therefore did not get to it at all.

Now I am up early - six o'clock with us - 9 with you - for a chat before the smoking room fills up with the crowd. We are climbing the Rockies - still going fast however as witness this writing which is better than it would be in ink. So please forgive the pencil on that score. Yesterday was not particularly eventful being chiefly marked by my visits to the private car which is decidedly nice. The car is last on the train and the last third of it is an observation room with big plate windows from floor to roof on end and sides. Comfortable chairs - electric fans - maps conveniently hung - flowers, books - candy, and all the other "comforts of home" including the company of the four girls who are jolly and simple and not in the least spoiled by the luxury of their surroundings. We talked and read there nearly all the morning. After lunch I was very sleepy and lay down for a nap to be awakened as told in my abbreviated note of Omaha. We all finally got out to the Fair Buildings which are now empty but produce an effect well worth seeing. Returned to the train we were soon off again at a terrific rate across the Nebraska plains and up the North Platte Valley. There was a grand sunset with high piled masses of silver lined dark clouds and fleecy gold veils and after that was over the girls took some of us back to the observation car for some "singing" (God save the mark!). I also sang as you will be distressed to learn but they all stood it nobly and indeed there were some no better than myself. We all enjoyed it anyway and I was thinking of you all the time and so I know was Miss Mary Harriman for the girls are of an age to take a romantic interest in anything like our separation. Altogether both the young ladies and Mrs. H. are very nice and show their millions absolutely not at all which is delightful.

I had a grand sleep last night and wake up ready for an interesting day in the mountains. We are in the great grazing country of Wyoming - endless rolling fields of yellowish-green short grass - no bush or tree to break its carpet and rarely a flower. I had always before seen the plains brown, dusty and forlorn and this spring dress gives me an entirely different notion of the country.

We have been organized into a regular scientific body with all sorts of officers committees etc. I hope they will succeed withal in making it possible to accomplish much good work. We have all registered in a big "log book" and appointed John Burroughs as Historian so we shall have the trip well written up anyhow.

We have just brought the first mts. into view - the Laramie Hills and here is Cheyenne where this letter must be mailed. I wish it were a better messenger to carry to you my loving thoughts. Believe me you are ever in my thoughts and shall be till we meet again.

Farewell with much love from your devoted

My dear -
I have had a charming morning stroll and a good breakfast and now while smoking will tell you what I saw. We came in here in the middle of the night after a quiet and uneventful run from Seattle. The clouds hung low and refused to reveal the mountain scenery for which Puget Sound is famous but we did get a poor glimpse of Mt. Baker before darkness fell. The evening passed with cards and tramping the deck, chiefly with Keeler who is good company. I woke this morning to find the boat tied up to the dock in a tidy little harbor surrounded by forest covered hills. The town lies out of sight over one of them and we are soon going to visit it.

We turned in in broad sunlight about 9 o'clock and had a fine refreshing sleep so that it was not so hard so get up when we were called to breakfast at 4. The sun came up behind a fine group of jagged peaks into a clear sky at first but by 5:30 when we got away the clouds had come up and the day remained overcast and cold all the day. We found a skin of fresh ice on the bay which made the rowing hard and where the ice cakes were numerous, cemented them into masses thro' which we could not force our boat. We coasted the shore for 10 or 12 miles and landed on a fine projecting knob of beautiful white marble cut by innumerable dykes of green rock. On reaching the top we were surprised to find just beyond a fine glacier which was unnamed upon the map so we called it the Harriman and spent most of the day surveying and mapping it. Our way back was a long one and when we finally landed in a sheltered cove it was 7:30 P.M. and we had rowed over 23 miles. We found a couple of Indians already encamped - making a hearty supper on boiled gulls' eggs, with celery and dried fish while a couple of marmots newly shot indicated what the next meal would be. They were there to hunt seal and when they started off next morning their boat was draped in white cloth, white hats on their heads and a big white cloth screen hung in front, all to make the boat look like an ice cake so that they may draw up to the seal and spear him before he takes alarm. It was windy and so I slept in the tent for a change and as we did not have to get up so early we had a good sleep. The next day Tuesday we had our longest row. We went down the coast beyond the point where we left the steamer to see an arm of the bay we had passed by and then on coming out we saw the steamer again passing up the bay out of hailing distance. We had agreed to meet her up the bay but the ice was so bad we did not think she could get in so had counted on intercepting her at the mouth of the bay. As it was we had a ten mile stern chase before we found one of the launches and were taken in. The boats all came in by about 6 P.M. and we started off for Sitka where, after traveling all night we are just arrived. As for me, after I had had a bath and cleaned the first coat of dirt off my hands I felt fully ready for dinner and for bed soon after and am on the whole in much better trim after the 75 mile row and rough living than I expected to be.
eebf2c3492