[slashem] Mall level and altars (Wiki entry)

Janis Papanagnou

Feb 16, 2023, 7:56:03 AM2/16/23
I read in the Wiki[*] about Slashem's "Mall" level:

"The mall is located between levels 5 and 6 of the Dungeons of Doom,
and contains many shops, much like Minetown. However, unlike Minetown,
it is not guaranteed to have an Altar. It has a 75% chance of being
generated."

I don't recall to have ever seen an altar in the Mall and wonder about
the formulation "it is not guaranteed to have an Altar"; shouldn't that
instead be "it has no Altars"?

(Note: The mentioned 75% is only the probability of a Mall being
generated (not the probability of an altar being generated).)

Janis

[*] https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/Special_level_(SLASH%27EM)

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

Feb 16, 2023, 11:06:06 AM2/16/23
On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 13:55:59 +0100, Janis Papanagnou wrote:

> I read in the Wiki[*] about Slashem's "Mall" level:
>
> "The mall is located between levels 5 and 6 of the Dungeons of Doom,
> and contains many shops, much like Minetown. However, unlike Minetown,
> it is not guaranteed to have an Altar. It has a 75% chance of being
> generated."
>
> I don't recall to have ever seen an altar in the Mall and wonder about
> the formulation "it is not guaranteed to have an Altar"; shouldn't that
> instead be "it has no Altars"?

I guess, you are right. As I read it, special levels are solely created
from their specific description prototypes. And the mall descriptions
do nowhere mention altars. Even if normal (non-shop) rooms are created
in the mall (with a certain probability), these don't seem to get the
usual dice-roll for altars in "normal" rooms.

BeAr
= What do you mean with: "Perfection is always an illusion"? =