Can't run 3.4.3 on Windows 11

Paulus

Nov 27, 2022, 10:29:11 PM11/27/22
Wondering if anyone has run into the same problem and/or has a useful
suggestion I can follow. I will start with a short description as the
issue might be quite trivial, and follow with a longer one just is case.

Short description: when I try to run 3.4.3 on a Windows 11 machine, it
doesn't accept any (visible) input, so basically I cannot get past the
"Who are you?" prompt. The names I am trying to type don't appear next
to the message and after a while it quits with a "number of retries
exceeded" message or something similar.

Longer description: older Windows 7 machine died, got a new one with
Windows 11. Tried running Nethack soon after copying across my old stuff,
it was quite weird (wrong command line window size, wrong font, funny set
of special characters etc) but operational. Tried tweaking command line
window settings (the interface was very similar to the one familiar from
Win 7 and Win 10), wasn't quite successful and put it aside for a couple
of days as not the highest priority task on the new machine. In the
meantime took screenshots of Nethack-friendly command line window
settings on a Win 10 box intending to reproduce those on Win 11.

When I came back to that, the command line window settings interface was
completely different (likely as a result of Win 11 getting some updates?).
That wouldn't likely be a huge issue as such but (as a result of that same
update?) Nethack basically stopped working as stated in the short
description above.

Any suggestions? I spent some time poking at different options of the new
settings interface, e.g. switching from Windows shell to command line etc,
but with no obvious effect. Command line itself does accept keyboard
input, it is Nethack that doesn't. Can possibly keep trying but it is
getting quite frustrating. I am quite prepared to try things such as
building Nethack on the target system from source code, but would like
first to hear if someone had the same problem, tried a particular
solution and it worked. Can possibly try running a pre-compiled version
of current NH just to see if it makes any difference but would
ultimately like to keep 3.4.3.

Thanks!

Paulus

Nov 30, 2022, 8:23:40 PM11/30/22
A quick update: if I explicitly start terminal window via cmd command
the primary issue disappears and NH can be started. The special
characters (that is, most characters on the screen) still don't
display properly even though I use the same Lucida Console font as
before.

Guess I am getting there, albeit slowly. Will post the final solution
once the game is fully playable.

Janis Papanagnou

Nov 30, 2022, 8:34:39 PM11/30/22
Out of curiosity; have you tried how Nethack behaves here if you
run it from a Cygwin environment on Windows? (Or anyone else with
experiences?)

Janis

Paulus

Dec 1, 2022, 1:30:53 AM12/1/22
On Thursday, 1 December 2022 at 11:34:39 UTC+10, Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> Out of curiosity; have you tried how Nethack behaves here if you
> run it from a Cygwin environment on Windows?

No, and I haven't had Cygwin installed on my machines for the last 10
years or so. But thanks, sounds like an option if nothing else works.

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

Dec 1, 2022, 11:14:32 AM12/1/22
On Sun, 27 Nov 2022 19:29:09 -0800 (PST), Paulus wrote:

> Short description: when I try to run 3.4.3 on a Windows 11 machine, it
> doesn't accept any (visible) input, so basically I cannot get past the
> "Who are you?" prompt. The names I am trying to type don't appear next
> to the message and after a while it quits with a "number of retries
> exceeded" message or something similar.

I didn't have time until now to test NH_3.43 on Win11. To rule out any
settings-related problems I downloaded a pristine "official" binary from
https://www.nethack.org/v343/ports/download-win.html and ran it with
unchanged standard settings.

Both, NetHackW.exe and NetHack.exe started up without any problems and
displayed expected map characters and no problems in gameplay during a
couple of moves.

Seems, your problem is not Win11-related in general, but caused by some
specific settings on your system...

BeAr
= What do you mean with: "Perfection is always an illusion"? =
===============================================================--(Oops!)===

Paulus

Dec 2, 2022, 8:57:27 PM12/2/22
On Friday, 2 December 2022 at 02:14:32 UTC+10, B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson wrote:
> Both, NetHackW.exe and NetHack.exe started up without any problems and
> displayed expected map characters and no problems in gameplay during a
> couple of moves.

Many thanks for trying that for me. I have re-downloaded the official
binary just in case and can confirm that NetHack.exe looks the same as
the one I have got (size and timestamp), and behaves the same way too.
That is, I can now run NH at least in cmd environment as stated above.
Functinality looks ok. Special characters don't, with any fonts I try,
and I don't seem to see useful options about charsets/encodings in
Windows terminal settings. Will keep looking though.

BTW, I started from a clean installation of Win 11, the only non-
standard thing was an extra language I added straight away (never gave
me issues before). And nearly everything was wrong on my first attempt
to run NH, plus the changed behaviour of terminal down the track. My
usual bad luck I guess...

Paulus

Dec 2, 2022, 9:53:14 PM12/2/22
And now the interesting part: looks like I have just fixed the issue
with special characters by DISABLING the "Beta: Use Unicode UTF-8 for
worldwide language support" option in system locale. Was it on from
the beginning or did I enable it when adding the extra language? Can't
remember. Still, quite a counterintuitive outcome.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!

Paulus

Dec 2, 2022, 10:10:07 PM12/2/22
No, it's still not fully fixed: after displaying menu (e.g. inventory)
the screen doesn't redraw properly. So, the silly questions again: did
anyone experience the same? Any suggestions?

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson, can you do me another quick favour? Just go
around the first level to display most of it, then call inventory.
Would parts of the level (covered by inventory?) disappear? In my case
they do, and don't come back properly on revisiting. E.g., in a lit
room the floor symbols re-appear only after I step on them, the walls
don't come back at all. Saving and re-starting shows everything again.

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

Dec 3, 2022, 2:45:11 AM12/3/22
Redraw works fine with NetHackW.exe as well as NetHack.exe. No problems
whatsoever. When you first described the tty interface not accepting any
keystrokes, I thought a graphics driver acceleration setting as the most
likely culprit. The re-drawing issue points in the same direction. (My
Win11 test notebook uses Intel processor-internal graphics without much
fancy functionality.)

Maybe, you take a look at shader settings and the like inside the driver
configuration of your graphics card? Disable any kind of buffering and
so on? Additionally, it may be worth a try, whether full-screen display
mode behaves differently than windowed mode.

Paulus

Dec 3, 2022, 4:20:29 AM12/3/22
On Saturday, 3 December 2022 at 17:45:11 UTC+10, B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson wrote:
> When you first described the tty interface not accepting any
> keystrokes, I thought a graphics driver acceleration setting as the most
> likely culprit. The re-drawing issue points in the same direction. (My
> Win11 test notebook uses Intel processor-internal graphics without much
> fancy functionality.)
>
> Maybe, you take a look at shader settings and the like inside the driver
> configuration of your graphics card? Disable any kind of buffering and
> so on?

I have an integrated Intel GPU too (750) and don't seem to have any
fancy settings. I am more inclined to blame something in the new
Windows terminal settings, will keep looking through them. BTW, have
just discovered the ^R in-game command that is supposed to redraw the
screen - and it does! So, the worst case scenario would be teaching
myself to hit the combination every time some wrong-going is suspected.

Thanks again for checking things for me!

Pat Rankin

Dec 3, 2022, 2:18:35 PM12/3/22
One of the replies for
https://reddit.com/r/nethack/comments/za85y0/odd_appearance_and_behavior_of_nethackexe_on_win11/
might be relevant. Changing what seems to be a system-wide
setting for the benefit of one program feels a bit extreme though.
[I've tried to manually split the text into lines of reasonable length
segments after copy+paste on OSX turned it into one long line,
and I've left off attribution to the reddit user-id.]

" the new console is... so much more different, and makes all kinds
" of ascii things 'work' and breaks others in weird ways.
"
" Anyways search for 'Terminal Settings' under
" Privacy & Security -> For Developers and and change the terminal
" to 'Windows console host' and it ought to be like the 'good old terminal'.

It's actually
Settings -> Privacy & Security -> For developers -> Terminal
and you reach the same place by running nethack from Power Shell
and right clicking on the window title bar then picking Settings from
the popup menu.

I didn't see any change in behavior after trying that. Corridors using
the IBMgraphics checkerboard character were only visible adjacent
to the hero with the lit_corridors option On. Away from the hero, or
with that option Off, known corridors were invisible.

You can always switch to OPTIONS=symset:default to stick with
plain text. Or you might need to muck about with IBM-style "code
pages" and such, something I've never bothered to learn about.

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

Dec 3, 2022, 3:20:53 PM12/3/22
On Sat, 3 Dec 2022 11:18:33 -0800 (PST), Pat Rankin wrote:

[NH343 on Win11: Windows Terminal vs. Windows Console Host]

I'm using WCH as standard on my system and did the testing with it.
Tried WT for a change and had some redraw issues (like no status
text line directly after changing levels), but none as severe as
those of the OP.

Switched back to WCH, of course.

Paulus

Dec 3, 2022, 9:19:22 PM12/3/22
On Sunday, 4 December 2022 at 06:20:53 UTC+10, B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Dec 2022 11:18:33 -0800 (PST), Pat Rankin wrote:
>
> [NH343 on Win11: Windows Terminal vs. Windows Console Host]
>
> I'm using WCH as standard on my system and did the testing with it.

Thanks again! WCH is indeed what I was looking for (and what
disappeared from me at some stage), I just didn't know the proper
name for it, kind of assumed choosing cmd as the default profile
in the new terminal was the best thing I could do. Things seem to
work the normal old way for me now.

Pat Rankin

Dec 4, 2022, 2:32:39 AM12/4/22
On Saturday, December 3, 2022 at 11:18:35 AM UTC-8, I wrote:
> You can always switch to OPTIONS=symset:default to stick with
> plain text.

I forgot that you were asking about 3.4.3. You would need
OPTIONS=!IBMgraphics because symset didn't exist yet.

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

Dec 4, 2022, 2:58:44 AM12/4/22
On Sat, 3 Dec 2022 18:19:19 -0800 (PST), Paulus wrote:

> On Sunday, 4 December 2022 at 06:20:53 UTC+10, B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson wrote:
>> On Sat, 3 Dec 2022 11:18:33 -0800 (PST), Pat Rankin wrote:
>>
>> [NH343 on Win11: Windows Terminal vs. Windows Console Host]
>>
>> I'm using WCH as standard on my system and did the testing with it.
>
> Thanks again!

You are welcome. But it is Pat who digged to the bottom of the problem.