[slashem] Artifacts wish advice for lawful Caveman

Janis Papanagnou

Dec 26, 2021, 9:31:24 AM12/26/21
My Caveman survived the mine town and Sokoban. When I engrave-checked
the wands I identified a wand of wishing. First wish for scroll(s) of
charging, second one for the Wallet of Perseus. There's no co-aligned
altar yet, so I pondered about an appropriate artifact weapon wish.
His role is restricted in sabres (Grayswandir) and long swords (many
good artifacts available in principle), so what to wish for? A thought
is to wish for the Holy Spear of Light. Althoug the weapon is suggested
by the Wiki its damage 1d8 (+1d20) +10 is not too good if we ignore the
silver bonus and the undead bonus for general application. So what to
wish for? I have only one remaining artifact wish, so the weapon should
probably be the next one. Another idea is to wish for the guaranteed
first sacrifice gift, which would make me independent of an co-aligned
altar. Or just continue with the Expert +1 club he started with? - Any
suggestions?

Janis

Janis Papanagnou

Dec 26, 2021, 4:21:00 PM12/26/21
On 26.12.2021 15:31, Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> [ Caveman early wish, pondering about artifact weapon to wish for ]

Actually, I wished for the Bat of Hell. Despite being non-coaligned
and that it blasts me, the maximum damage is still bearable, and not
only at Expert proficiency it's certainly an excellent choice.

So I arrived at the quests' levels, skipped the role quest, done
the neutral quest, done the lawful quest. The co-aligned altar gave
me the opportunity (although not any more necessary with the Bat of
Hell in my possession) to wish for Skullcrusher, my guaranteed quest
artifact. But after only a few sacrifices I got Grayswandir! What?!
The only explanation would be that the expected artifact had already
been generated and is randomly lying around somewhere; practically
only the quest home or Grund's level qualifies, since I thoroughly
explored all the other levels. I'll see. Or am I missing something?

Janis