TNNT now active

John McCue

Nov 4, 2021, 3:15:32 PM11/4/21
Note, tnnt is now active, see

https://tnnt.org/

John

--
csh(1) - "An elegant shell, for a more... civilized age."
- Paraphrasing Star Wars

Janis Papanagnou

Nov 6, 2021, 8:58:19 AM11/6/21
On 04.11.2021 20:15, John McCue wrote:
> Note, tnnt is now active, see
> [link snipped]

It's en vogue, it seems, to not post any information but acronyms
and links. Do folks curiously click on every posted link, really?

Janis

Michael Meyer

Nov 6, 2021, 1:10:30 PM11/6/21
Janis Papanagnou <janis_pa...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> It's en vogue, it seems, to not post any information but acronyms
> and links.

TNNT stands for 'the November NetHack Tournament' -- it's sort of a
spiritual successor to the /dev/null/nethack tournament which used to
also run in November.

It's similar to devnull in that it's based on the current release of
vanilla NetHack (so, 3.6.6 currently), but with a few special features,
challenges, and levels unique to the tournament build.

There's an article on the wiki about it (which spoils some of the
special features/challenges, just FYI):
https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/The_November_NetHack_Tournament

- Michael

Janis Papanagnou

Nov 6, 2021, 1:26:40 PM11/6/21
On 06.11.2021 18:10, Michael Meyer wrote:
> Janis Papanagnou <janis_pa...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> It's en vogue, it seems, to not post any information but acronyms
>> and links.
>
> TNNT stands for 'the November NetHack Tournament' -- it's sort of a
> spiritual successor to the /dev/null/nethack tournament which used to
> also run in November.

Aha. Thanks for the clarification and additional information!

> There's an article on the wiki about it [...]

I'll have a look into it.

Janis

Janis Papanagnou

Nov 6, 2021, 1:57:40 PM11/6/21
On 06.11.2021 18:10, Michael Meyer wrote:

> There's an article on the wiki about it (which spoils some of the
> special features/challenges, just FYI):
> https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/The_November_NetHack_Tournament

I read on that page (and am wondering whether that is really true):

"Permanent deafness, activated by setting OPTIONS=deaf, and makes
the character permanently deaf. This can make the quest unwinnable
if the leader starts roaming, as you cannot chat to them."

I noticed in a couple games that a roaming quest leader that gets
cornered with the player adjacent will actually talk to the player;
so I'd expect that the game would not be unwinnable.

Janis

Michael Meyer

Nov 6, 2021, 2:32:55 PM11/6/21
Janis Papanagnou <janis_pa...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I noticed in a couple games that a roaming quest leader that gets
> cornered with the player adjacent will actually talk to the player;
> so I'd expect that the game would not be unwinnable.

I think you're right, I just tested in wizmode with OPTIONS=deaf and
once I pinned the roving QL at the end of a hallway he spoke to me on
his own. quest_talk is called at the very end of dochug once it's
determined the monster hasn't moved, hasn't attacked, etc, in that turn,
so that's probably the reason why.

Good catch, I think I will update that part of the article. :)

John McCue

Nov 1, 2023, 6:19:11 PM11/1/23
Note, tnnt is now active, see

https://tnnt.org/

Good luck all,
John

--
[t]csh(1) - "An elegant shell, for a more... civilized age."
- Paraphrasing Star Wars

CSS Dixieland

Nov 2, 2023, 9:50:44 AM11/2/23
Gentlemen, apart from the information provided by The November Nethack Tournament and by the Nethack Wiki, CSS Dixieland has also published a short information on Nethack competitions in general while announcing the opening of The November Nethack Tournament. It is in the Rogue-like Games Announcements news group of Mister Russ Albery via News Network Transfer Protocol, and it can be accessed via Hyper Text Transfer Protocol using the World Wide Web to Usenet interface of Google Groups:

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.games.roguelike.announce/c/4_rzAlce7lo