TNNT now active

John McCue

Nov 4, 2021, 3:15:32 PM11/4/21
Note, tnnt is now active, see

https://tnnt.org/

John

--
csh(1) - "An elegant shell, for a more... civilized age."
- Paraphrasing Star Wars

Janis Papanagnou

Nov 6, 2021, 8:58:19 AM11/6/21
On 04.11.2021 20:15, John McCue wrote:
> Note, tnnt is now active, see
> [link snipped]

It's en vogue, it seems, to not post any information but acronyms
and links. Do folks curiously click on every posted link, really?

Janis

Michael Meyer

Nov 6, 2021, 1:10:30 PM11/6/21
Janis Papanagnou <janis_pa...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> It's en vogue, it seems, to not post any information but acronyms
> and links.

TNNT stands for 'the November NetHack Tournament' -- it's sort of a
spiritual successor to the /dev/null/nethack tournament which used to
also run in November.

It's similar to devnull in that it's based on the current release of
vanilla NetHack (so, 3.6.6 currently), but with a few special features,
challenges, and levels unique to the tournament build.

There's an article on the wiki about it (which spoils some of the
special features/challenges, just FYI):
https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/The_November_NetHack_Tournament

- Michael

Janis Papanagnou

Nov 6, 2021, 1:26:40 PM11/6/21
On 06.11.2021 18:10, Michael Meyer wrote:
> Janis Papanagnou <janis_pa...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> It's en vogue, it seems, to not post any information but acronyms
>> and links.
>
> TNNT stands for 'the November NetHack Tournament' -- it's sort of a
> spiritual successor to the /dev/null/nethack tournament which used to
> also run in November.

Aha. Thanks for the clarification and additional information!

> There's an article on the wiki about it [...]

I'll have a look into it.

Janis

Janis Papanagnou

Nov 6, 2021, 1:57:40 PM11/6/21
On 06.11.2021 18:10, Michael Meyer wrote:

> There's an article on the wiki about it (which spoils some of the
> special features/challenges, just FYI):
> https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/The_November_NetHack_Tournament

I read on that page (and am wondering whether that is really true):

"Permanent deafness, activated by setting OPTIONS=deaf, and makes
the character permanently deaf. This can make the quest unwinnable
if the leader starts roaming, as you cannot chat to them."

I noticed in a couple games that a roaming quest leader that gets
cornered with the player adjacent will actually talk to the player;
so I'd expect that the game would not be unwinnable.

Janis

Michael Meyer

Nov 6, 2021, 2:32:55 PM11/6/21
Janis Papanagnou <janis_pa...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I noticed in a couple games that a roaming quest leader that gets
> cornered with the player adjacent will actually talk to the player;
> so I'd expect that the game would not be unwinnable.

I think you're right, I just tested in wizmode with OPTIONS=deaf and
once I pinned the roving QL at the end of a hallway he spoke to me on
his own. quest_talk is called at the very end of dochug once it's
determined the monster hasn't moved, hasn't attacked, etc, in that turn,
so that's probably the reason why.

Good catch, I think I will update that part of the article. :)