Stacked items

Yosemite Sam

Jul 21, 2022, 5:24:47 PM7/21/22
I lost a promising game on NethackW (the graphical version of Nethack) due
to a lack of showing stacks. If the stacks had been represented, I would have
been wary of the trap there beneath a corpse and some loot. As it was, all
that was shown was a scroll and I walked on top of it with no hesitation. I
said damn it all to NethackW, but then later realized that my options on
Nethack are the same. It only shows the top item and gives no indication
of other items beneath it. Where I saw this was on nethack.alt.org. The
options there are set so that the colors are inversed if there is two or more
items represented. What is the name of this option? Does it work in
NethackW?

Pat Rankin

Jul 22, 2022, 2:53:28 AM7/22/22
On Thursday, July 21, 2022 at 2:24:47 PM UTC-7, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> [...] What is the name of this option? Does it work in NethackW?

The option is 'hilite_pile' and it is disabled by default. You can
enable it via the 'O' command or in your run-time options file.

The Windows GUI interface implements it by overlaying the
tile for the top object with a small white plus sign in its upper
left corner. On some tiles that is fairly easy to see; on others,
not so much.