[slashem] bug - polymorphed item poly'd to same object seems to not need object being "unhazed"

Janis Papanagnou

Sep 26, 2022, 5:48:37 PM9/26/22
I polypile unicorn horns, magic whistles, and empty magic markers to
get new markers. When an [empty] marker gets polymorphed and becomes
another marker - identified by vanishing individual "empty" engraving
and charge information (if identified) - I am able to write scrolls
as expected, but dipping it into restore ability has no vanishing haze
effect; it's obviously not necessary to "fix" the marker (to prevent
it from reverting back). - Maybe intended, maybe a bug?

Janis

Pat Rankin

Sep 27, 2022, 5:20:32 AM9/27/22
On Monday, September 26, 2022 at 2:48:37 PM UTC-7, Janis wrote:
> [...] it's obviously not necessary to "fix" the marker (to prevent
> it from reverting back). - Maybe intended, maybe a bug?

Revert back to what? We've previously established that all
that is recorded of the original item is its object type (no
charge count or enchantment, no BUC or erosion state), so
a magic marker that was polymorphed into another magic
marker would just "unpolymorph" back to a magic marker
(and retain its present charge count and recharge counter).

Presumably because there's no revert effect possible, when
an object is polymorphed into the same type of object, the
code to set a revert timer skips doing such and the 'old type'
isn't even recorded. After that, it isn't even treated as a
polymorphed object so dipping won't give the "less hazy"
feedback (or use up the potion--unless dipping into restore
ability has some other unrelated effect).