[slashem] Difficulty to get the magic lamp from the Sunless Sea

Janis Papanagnou

Feb 2, 2023, 11:58:09 AM2/2/23
Not that I would have needed that magic lamp - my Monk is well
equipped - but that sort of difficulty on the Sunless Sea
level was new for me and the process to get that magic lamp
quite wasteful.

I have an amulet of flying and potions of object detection to
locate the magic lamp, a wand of teleportation to relocate it
onto a safe place, and light to see where it lands.

There was a horde of "deeper one" monsters around the island
on the water, on the island two giants. Object detection did
thus show a lot of items but the magic lamp. Getting near the
island the giants threw boulders at me. And after having them
all killed and another potion of object detection spent there
was still no lamp. So it must be covered by kelp fronds. Went
to some dedicated kelp fronds to teleport them to safe places,
but to no avail. So I suspected it was on the dry one-square
spot where one of the giant's boulders landed. Read a scroll
of earth to fill the surrounding squares with dry land to dig
there. - And indeed, that was it.

Janis

PS: Bets are open whether that chaotic Monk will die due to a
summoning storm on the Plane of Air or already before that by
overconfidence or inattentiveness.

Janis Papanagnou

Feb 4, 2023, 9:57:53 PM2/4/23
On 02.02.2023 17:58, Janis Papanagnou wrote:

> PS: Bets are open whether that chaotic Monk will die due to a
> summoning storm on the Plane of Air or already before that by
> overconfidence or inattentiveness.

Again there were (even quite some) hostile titans and angelic
beings at the Planes of Air and Fire. As usual I entered the
levels with a wielded foo'trice corpse in my hand, and instead
of quickly striving towards the portal I instead tried to reach
the nearby summoners to stone them. I guess I was also a bit
lucky - it could have evolved differently -, but I managed to
survive these levels. On the Astral Plane there were no major
angelic beings (only ordinary hostile angels), so summoning was
not an issue. Nonetheless I continued the stoning approach and
had to wish for another foo'trice corpse, and since I had to
visit all three altars - this time I decided to not use my helm
of opposite alignment - a third wish for a stoning corpse had
to be issued. A problem could have also been the Vorpal Blade
that one player character at Astral had in her inventory, but
with stoning (or [rarely] teleporting them away) it worked out
well.

Janis