strength

Yosemite Sam

Jan 21, 2023, 2:59:33 PM1/21/23
I usually trip over myself because I'm doing quite well. This game is
different. I barely completed Sokoban, exploded a bag of holding
by a bag of tricks taking 16000 zorkmids and a few other goods.
I've got three gifts from Set and a Mjollnir I found sitting on a level
near the stairs. I have a kind of malaise. I'm not doing too well, but
I'm also not tripping over some cockatrice. The feeling is staid and
that's better than a feeling of I can destroy anything.

Janis Papanagnou

Jan 22, 2023, 11:41:32 AM1/22/23
A situation of awareness and having to be careful all the time is
straining but certainly also increases survivability. Otherwise,
I experienced, overconfidence and inattentiveness can more likely
kill you where you don't expect it.[*]

A possible drawback in a specific game can occur if you are stuck
because of a too powerful hindrance; that can result in no advance,
boredom, and then often death.

I actually like in the games the often experienced situation that
I have to sophisticatedly _solve_ tight situation - which is very
satisfying! - instead of just hack'n'slashing (as known from many
other games).

Janis

[*] In a recent [slashem] game; excellent artifacts (weapons and
other things), and a horde of angelic powerful minions, where one
of them got confused from a black light in the Lawful quest and
killed me faster than I got aware (no HP highlight in Slashem).

Isidore Ducasse

Jan 22, 2023, 2:58:19 PM1/22/23
> straining but certainly also increases survivability. Otherwise,
> I experienced, overconfidence and inattentiveness can more likely
> kill you where you don't expect it.[*]

Don't tell me that! :-)
I'm right now in the ascension run, and around level 20, I just
*forgot* the amulet on an altar, and kept on running...
until level 2... I thought, cool, easy, nothing to bother me, I
can even cast spell without penalty... wait... where is the amulet? ;-)

> I actually like in the games the often experienced situation that
> I have to sophisticatedly _solve_ tight situation - which is very

Yeah, that's also the whole spirit behind Tourist's game, isn't it?
And conducts like vegetarian or pacifist: I can't even imagine how one
can succeed in such conditions!

ID

Janis Papanagnou

Jan 22, 2023, 5:03:57 PM1/22/23
On 22.01.2023 20:58, Isidore Ducasse wrote:
> I'm right now in the ascension run, and around level 20, I just
> *forgot* the amulet on an altar, and kept on running...
> until level 2... I thought, cool, easy, nothing to bother me, I
> can even cast spell without penalty... wait... where is the amulet? ;-)

I recall to have had it once stolen and didn't notice until much
later.

In another instance I wondered about my weak attacks, only to see
at some point that my artifact weapon was gone (I had got disarmed
by a demon with a bullwhip).

>> I actually like in the games the often experienced situation that
>> I have to sophisticatedly _solve_ tight situation - which is very
>
> Yeah, that's also the whole spirit behind Tourist's game, isn't it?

Yes. Tourist is a role I am always eagerly playing, while...

> And conducts like vegetarian or pacifist: I can't even imagine how one
> can succeed in such conditions!

...these conducts are nothing for me. The same with some classes
or races; in Slashem I #quit games instantly if I get a vampiric
character selected by the RNG. I suppose it would be similar with
a convict role in other variants, but cannot tell from practice.

Janis

Yosemite Sam

Mar 9, 2023, 10:17:42 PM3/9/23
On Sunday, January 22, 2023 at 10:41:32 AM UTC-6, Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> On 21.01.2023 20:59, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> > I usually trip over myself because I'm doing quite well. This game is
> > different. I barely completed Sokoban, exploded a bag of holding
> > by a bag of tricks taking 16000 zorkmids and a few other goods.
> > I've got three gifts from Set and a Mjollnir I found sitting on a level
> > near the stairs. I have a kind of malaise. I'm not doing too well, but
> > I'm also not tripping over some cockatrice. The feeling is staid and
> > that's better than a feeling of I can destroy anything.
> A situation of awareness and having to be careful all the time is
> straining but certainly also increases survivability. Otherwise,
> I experienced, overconfidence and inattentiveness can more likely
> kill you where you don't expect it.[*]

Sagat the Raider attacked a floating eye on Dlvl 21. He was frozen
and a Nazgul toyed with him. By the time I got control again, goodbye
four levels. After all the other stuff, I rage quit.

Janis Papanagnou

Mar 9, 2023, 11:00:21 PM3/9/23
On 10.03.2023 04:17, Yosemite Sam wrote:

> Sagat the Raider attacked a floating eye on Dlvl 21. He was frozen
> and a Nazgul toyed with him. By the time I got control again, goodbye
> four levels. [...]

The paralysis lasts quite long; usually long enough to even kill you.
You had got a second chance. - Wouldn't it have been possible to
restore the levels with blessed potions of full healing?

But I understand the annoyance; something similar happened to me in
EvilHack. I wasn't paralyzed but the 'W' that did the level drains
also stunned me, so I could not escape and my levels also vanished.
(It was early game and I had no potions to restore. I seem to recall
that I also #quit'ed that game.)

Janis

Janis Papanagnou

Mar 10, 2023, 5:03:44 PM3/10/23
On 10.03.2023 05:00, Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> On 10.03.2023 04:17, Yosemite Sam wrote:
>>
>> Sagat the Raider attacked a floating eye on Dlvl 21. He was frozen
>> and a Nazgul toyed with him. By the time I got control again, goodbye
>> four levels. [...]
>
> But I understand the annoyance; something similar happened to me in
> EvilHack. I wasn't paralyzed but the 'W' that did the level drains
> also stunned me, so I could not escape and my levels also vanished.
> (It was early game and I had no potions to restore. I seem to recall
> that I also #quit'ed that game.)

In my current [EvilHack] game a human zombie got a successful attack
at my brain and ate it; my at Expert trained skill for Mjollnir got
reset to Unskilled ("Do not pass Go"), my Skilled projectile daggers
got reduced to Basic, and my initial spear skill got also reduced to
Basic. All training for vain, lots of killing; I will have to start
again quasi from the beginning... :-/

Janis