Updating amiga nethack

Nico

Aug 11, 2022, 12:36:33 PM8/11/22
hi,
I'm interesting in potentially updating the amiga nethack port to 3.6,
as I recently got an amiga and would love to be able to run nethack on
it. Is there anybody here who is also interested in this project? How
much work would it take to port over the 3.4.3 amiga sys code to 3.6?

thanks,
Nico

Pat Rankin

Aug 11, 2022, 5:24:50 PM8/11/22
You aren't the only one who has mentioned this, but the others
generally haven't been heard from again.

The first thing you need to do is become able to build 3.4.3 from
source. If you have vintage tools, that should be straightforward,
but if you have more modern ones that don't like various
workarounds the old code uses, it might be tough. However, any
modifications required to get past that are likely to be applicable
to 3.6.x too.

For 3.6, some of the changes to interface code got blindly applied
to unmaintained win/this/ or sys/that/ but went untested. Others
might have overlooked that and will need to reimplemented for
sys/amiga/. The difficulty varies quite a bit depending on the
scope of the changes.

[I've never seen nethack running on an Amiga. Actually, I don't
think I've ever even seen an Amiga.]

andres

Aug 14, 2022, 6:24:06 AM8/14/22
You may be interested on cross compiling the upcoming v3.7 for Amiga
from a Linux machine.

https://github.com/NetHack/NetHack/blob/NetHack-3.7/Cross-compiling

Anthk

Aug 15, 2022, 3:13:27 PM8/15/22
I'm cross-building gcc+binutils+the NDK for Amiga, now I will try to
build NH ~3.7 for it.

Later I will try to do the same with Slashem, as it's based on 3.4.3
but with tons of fun additions such as classes, roles,
levels, monsters and objects. (Doppleganger Monk FTW).