What was the first RPG?

Rick_Micha...@cup.portal.com

Dec 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/28/95
BTW: Odd, but I got the C Users Group CD for Xmas from my son & guess
what? It has Hunt The Wumpus on it. I'd have to double check, but I
think it's a version hacked on a CP/M box. I'm going to give it a look
today, if anybody is interested in this moldy oldy let me know. Like
people have noted, it's more adventure then RPG but if you want to
see what a thinking person's game was back in the mid '70s, this is
a good example. The only thing you have to do to make it a real time
warp is change your output from your screen to your printer! At least
for me, the information science <I guess this was before there were
computer science majors> group wouldn't let me near a CRT terminal.
Rick

csh...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

Dec 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/31/95
The oldest RPG I can think of was a cassette tape based game for the
Apple II+ called Fracas. Anybody heard of it? I believe it predates
Temple of Apshai.

* ALAN CRUIKSHANK Hyperware Consulting *
* e-mail: csh...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca *
* <http://www.lookup.com/cgi-bin/lookup/LU_home?43124,1048607> *

Tracy S. Schuhwerk

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96
csh...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca wrote:
: The oldest RPG I can think of was a cassette tape based game for the
: Apple II+ called Fracas. Anybody heard of it? I believe it predates
: Temple of Apshai.

Wasn't Ultima I release on the Original Apple (Apple I)?

I had Temple of Apshai and Gateway to Apshai on my Radio Shack
Model I... that was around 1980/81. I may still have the whole
package and tape for the Apshai games packed away down with the
old Model I (yeah... I know... The Boston Computer Museum got
someone elses before I could donate mine! :-)).

-- Tracy Schuhwerk
home: tr...@amiga.iac.net

Phil Priest

Jan 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/5/96

I seem to remember that Richard Garriot came out with Alkabeth on the Apple
I around '79?