Game Programming Project

Gary Neal

Jul 25, 2004, 9:17:45 PM7/25/04
Hello,

I am currently working on a game programming project and wanted to post
results on my web page. I was looking for some feedback but I guess no one
is talking. What operating system do people prefer to write games to? I
was doing this game on Windows using DirectX. Does anyone have a
preference?

Gary Neal Jr
Web: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/garyneal/
Web: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Park/7113/

Steve

Jul 26, 2004, 3:11:29 AM7/26/04
If you want to discuss your game, try going to www.allegro.cc . The catch is
that you'll probably need to use the Allegro library, although there are
some ppl there willing to discuss other libraries such as directx.
- Steve

"Gary Neal" <gary_n...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Gary Neal

Jul 26, 2004, 9:26:48 PM7/26/04
I already know how to use the libraries. It was a demonstration for
visitors to my site. Just looking for feedback on what people actually use,
that's all.

Brian Buchner

Jul 27, 2004, 3:20:49 AM7/27/04
Hi Gary,
I've been programming games for a while now and DEFINITELY prefer WinXP for
development and as a target platform. I (and every other game programmer on
the planet) use DirectX for everything but Graphics. For Graphics I have
multiple programming paths in my engine, 1 being DirectDraw for software
rendering, 2 being OpenGL for hardware. On my website you can see some (old)
stuff I wrote :
www.evils0ft.com

Email me if you'd like.
Take care! :)

Markus Seeger

Jul 28, 2004, 12:26:19 PM7/28/04
Brian Buchner wrote:

> Hi Gary,
> I've been programming games for a while now and DEFINITELY prefer WinXP
> for development and as a target platform. I (and every other game
> programmer on the planet) use DirectX for everything but Graphics.

> [...]

What sort of games do "other game" programmers do?
However, the "standard game" programmers on this planet do indeed use
a variety of SDKs to program games.

I prefer SDL (with OpenGL) to support not only platforms that I prefer,
but also platforms that I definitely don't prefer (like WinXP).

hth, Markus.

--
Analysis: sums with letters. It's for the people whose
brains aren't clever enough for numbers. (Terry Prattchet)

Wael El-Oraiby

Jul 28, 2004, 3:31:55 PM7/28/04

> I've been programming games for a while now and DEFINITELY prefer WinXP for
> development and as a target platform. I (and every other game programmer on
> the planet) use DirectX for everything but Graphics. For Graphics I have
> multiple programming paths in my engine, 1 being DirectDraw for software
> rendering, 2 being OpenGL for hardware. On my website you can see some (old)

hmm, I actually recommend Direct3D, the direct3D api is very good,
it's true that the first versions were a little mess, but since
directx 8, and with directx 9 the interfaces is very good actually. If
you compare directx 9 to opengl I ll go with directx 9, because of
good documentation. OpenGL docs is a bit messy, especially with each
version. DirectX drivers are good, opengl drivers are messy. Anyway,
choose what you think is better, in my opinion however DirectX is
better.

Wael EL ORAIBY