Pennant Fever Issues

Paul

Jul 17, 2022, 10:37:28 PMJul 17
Picked up a Williams Pennant Fever not too long ago and had a little
time to play around with it today.

When I purchased it, other then some GI turning on, machine did nothing.
Replaced the power supply with another I had sitting around, have all my
voltages, but no life on the MPU. Measured 5V, 12V & -12 on the
connector. And 5V at some of the chips. Board has zero battery damage.

Nothing on the 7 segment display, nothing at the displays (tested those
voltages as well at the power supply had my +100 & -100).

Would the cpu itself cause absolutely nothing to appear working?

Any help appreciated.

Paul

Oh and not that this was a high production game, but I did see it has
proto eproms, which i kinda thought was neat.

John Robertson

Jul 19, 2022, 12:40:37 AMJul 19
Hi Paul,

Are there any LEDs lighting on the MPU board - the one with the batteries?

If not then I would suspect the power connector to the MPU or at the
power supply first.

Check for 5VDC on the MPU itself before assuming power is actually good.

John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

Paul

Jul 20, 2022, 10:08:54 PMJul 20
On 7/19/2022 12:40 AM, John Robertson wrote:
> On 2022/07/17 7:37 p.m., Paul wrote:
>> Picked up a Williams Pennant Fever not too long ago and had a little
>> time to play around with it today.
>>
>> When I purchased it, other then some GI turning on, machine did
>> nothing. Replaced the power supply with another I had sitting around,
>> have all my voltages, but no life on the MPU. Measured 5V, 12V & -12
>> on the connector. And 5V at some of the chips. Board has zero battery
>> damage.
>>
>> Nothing on the 7 segment display, nothing at the displays (tested
>> those voltages as well at the power supply had my +100 & -100).
>>
>> Would the cpu itself cause absolutely nothing to appear working?
>>
>> Any help appreciated.
>>

>> Paul
>>
>> Oh and not that this was a high production game, but I did see it has
>> proto eproms, which i kinda thought was neat.
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> Are there any LEDs lighting on the MPU board - the one with the batteries?
>
> If not then I would suspect the power connector to the MPU or at the
> power supply first.
>
> Check for 5VDC on the MPU itself before assuming power is actually good.
>
> John :-#)#

John,
Thank you for the reply. Sorry I should have worded things better.
After replacing the power supply (working spare i have), I tested the
voltages at the connector of the MPU. I have +5, +12 & -12 there. I also
probed a couple of the chips (randomly) on the MPU and had +5 on one of
the corner pins.

There is a 7 segment display on the MPU, it shows nothing. Which is why
I asked if the cpu on the mpu was bad would cause this.

Paul

John Robertson

Jul 21, 2022, 1:07:47 AMJul 21
Hi Paul,

As I recall, even if the CPU is locked up the 7-segment display will
show something - perhaps an "8".

Please check pin 40 of the CPU - that is the /RESET pin. If it is close
to 5VDC then /Reset is High, which is running. If it is close to 0.0VDC,
then /Reset is Low and the CPU can't function. The "/" in front of
"Reset" is the Active state, in other words, Reset is active when Low.
It should only be Low if the 12VDC power is under around 8VDC or
something else is defective. It pulses Low when power is available for
perhaps 1/2 second or less, then goes High to allow the logic board to
get running.

If /Reset is Low, please double check that the CPU has 5VDC present.
Just because power is at the connector wires, doesn't mean it is getting
through to the logic board. Connector pins and wires break in
interesting ways...