What happened here?

vivasantana

Dec 5, 2023, 1:27:59 PM12/5/23
Have not hit this site for awhile.
Looks like everything but pinball took over.

Scott Lurndal

Dec 5, 2023, 2:32:10 PM12/5/23
vivasantana <154s...@gmail.com> writes:
>Have not hit this site for awhile.
>Looks like everything but pinball took over.

It's not just rec.games.pinball that has been subject to
oceans of illegible spam in the last couple of months.

However, people seem to prefer pinside for some unfathomable reason.

John Robertson

Dec 5, 2023, 3:07:03 PM12/5/23
I still keep an eye here.

I'm using Eternal-September.org so I don't see anything but real messages...

I also got a note that giganews has been taken over by the users and
other usenet aficionados so I imagine their filtering is now dealing
with the problem.

google-groups is the joke here...

John :-#)#
John's Jukes Ltd.
#7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

Spiral

Dec 14, 2023, 2:41:03 PM12/14/23
Haven't been to Pinside. What do you recommend?

Scott Lurndal

Dec 14, 2023, 3:01:06 PM12/14/23
Avoiding closed web forums and sticking with the distributed usenet groups.

However, in this case, there seem to be very few people posting to rec.games.pinball.

Spiral

Dec 15, 2023, 3:40:58 PM12/15/23
I see your point. Plus, I remember when RGP was essential.
There was a time when people thought the internet was that CD you got from
America Online; some of the brain dead still think usenet is a google
something.

Usenet never made posters more accountable, though. I think the one factor
that made rgp more accountable was the several shows throughout the year,
when you met people behind the rgp handles and got face-to-face. Many
groups don't meet up.

Cheers

John Robertson

Dec 15, 2023, 5:25:29 PM12/15/23
RGP was still getting some traffic until the sh*tstorm of spam started a
couple months ago.

Perhaps it will recover when google groups shuts down input access to
usenet. I have hope!

John :-#(#