6809E vs. 6809P

Tony Miklos

Jul 10, 2002, 9:06:07 PM7/10/02
For use on a WPC CPU. Are they different? Will the 6809P I just
ordered work or will I need a 6809E?

--
Tony

Frank-Rainer Grahl

Jul 11, 2002, 3:16:45 AM7/11/02
I am not familar with WPC CPUs but according to my Getaway manual you will need a
68B09E.
B and E are important. The 6809P will not work and the 6809E might work but not for
long because it's only certified for 1 MHz operation. The B stands for the 2 MHz
version.

Regards
Frank-Rainer Grahl
(frg...@REMOVE.ME.gmx.net)

Kenny McCormick

Jul 11, 2002, 10:51:09 AM7/11/02
The 6809E is different from the 6809P. To be specific, you need a
68B09E(P). The P is optional and denotes a plastic package. The 'B'
means it is rated at 2 MHz and the 'E' means it uses an external clock
source. A plain 6809 will not clock out correctly. For reasons to
boring to go into, you may find that a 68A09E (1 MHz) works, depends
on how they binned the parts.

K2

Frank-Rainer Grahl

Jul 11, 2002, 2:38:13 PM7/11/02
A is 1.5MHz. I wouldn't use it. If it fails prematurely you never know what it
takes with it. $1 saved and $xx spend for new parts. Maybe I am overcautious but I
have seen too many burned and half destroyed pcbs because someone saved 20 cent and
used a different fuse. Different story but who knows...

On 11 Jul 2002 07:51:09 -0700, Kenny McCormick wrote:

>>The 6809E is different from the 6809P. To be specific, you need a
>>68B09E(P). The P is optional and denotes a plastic package. The 'B'
>>means it is rated at 2 MHz and the 'E' means it uses an external clock
>>source. A plain 6809 will not clock out correctly. For reasons to
>>boring to go into, you may find that a 68A09E (1 MHz) works, depends
>>on how they binned the parts.
>>
>>K2

Regards
Frank-Rainer Grahl
(frg...@REMOVE.ME.gmx.net)

Tony Miklos

Jul 11, 2002, 10:41:41 PM7/11/02
Thanks everyone, I ordered the right part from the "Real Bob", he's fast
and easy. Mouser only had NTE or ECG at about 4 times the price.

Tony

Kenny McCormick

Jul 12, 2002, 4:50:07 PM7/12/02
If anyone cares, I have new in sleeve 68B09EP CPU's. I don't have a
ton, but if you need one, let me know, is $5.00 reasonable?

K2