Tron LE Coin Door

BShing

Jul 14, 2011, 7:20:34 PM7/14/11
I just picked up my LE from Trent, game is for USA and has a .25 cent
Haap single slot coin door. Pics I've seen show the double slot door
on the regular version. Does anyone else with the LE have the
European door? I'm wondering if they ran out and just used what was
on hand.

Lloyd Olson

Jul 14, 2011, 7:32:41 PM7/14/11
Probably used what they had on hand. I'd get ahold of Trent or stern if you
want a USA door. LTG :)

"BShing" <RSh...@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message

jackal2001

Jul 14, 2011, 8:21:14 PM7/14/11
On Jul 14, 7:32 pm, "Lloyd Olson" <l...@ssbilliards.com> wrote:
> Probably used what they had on hand. I'd get ahold of Trent or stern if you
> want a USA door. LTG :)
>
> "BShing" <RShi...@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message

> >I just picked up my LE from Trent, game is for USA and has a .25 cent
> > Haap single slot coin door.  Pics I've seen show the double slot door
> > on the regular version.  Does anyone else with the LE have the
> > European door?  I'm wondering if they ran out and just used what was
> > on hand.- Hide quoted text -

Every LE that I've seen pics and video of has a single slot coin
door. Maybe Stern figured these would be in people homes and not on
route.

RazerX

Jul 14, 2011, 8:35:05 PM7/14/11
That is fucking irritating...more cost cutting? I hope they will swap
it out because mine is going on location.

Rob

The CNY PIN GUY

Jul 14, 2011, 8:53:54 PM7/14/11

Check out this video on YouTube:

2 slot door on le

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTugVHdW7QU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

RazerX

Jul 14, 2011, 9:39:44 PM7/14/11
Good catch. Wonder why they are shipping some domestic machines with
a single slot coin door then? I still don't have mine yet--hopefully
mine comes with the proper 2 slot coin door.

Rob

MB

Jul 14, 2011, 9:44:15 PM7/14/11
Stern sid today that they are having huge supply chain issues. Thus
the delayed shipping and prolly- euro coin doors

solid187

Jul 14, 2011, 9:46:48 PM7/14/11
Got mine from Trent with a single slot door as well.

PinballSales Jack

Jul 14, 2011, 9:51:10 PM7/14/11
On Jul 14, 9:46 pm, solid187 <bdal...@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
> Got mine from Trent with a single slot door as well.

Canadian possibly.....

BShing

Jul 14, 2011, 9:59:15 PM7/14/11

Nope. It has a manufacture date of 7/11/11 with USA on the backbox
tag.

Lloyd Olson

Jul 14, 2011, 10:02:37 PM7/14/11
Might be as simple as not the right doors on hand. Don't hold up the
assembly line, use what you got. LTG :)

"RazerX" <r_k...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Joey

Jul 14, 2011, 9:35:45 PM7/14/11
That is so ghetto. Friggen cheap ass Gary. Not that it's that big of
a deal but like the LED boards something not mentioned beforehand.

mnpinball

Jul 14, 2011, 10:21:10 PM7/14/11
Yup, pinball is on the upswing selling like mad can't keep shit in
stock. Love it.
I want a 2 slot door even if it never sees a quarter in it.

jackal2001

Jul 14, 2011, 10:19:08 PM7/14/11
OK sorry. Every domestic LE I've seen so far has a single coin slot.
Users on multiple forums that posted their info:

Nick, Canada #107 2 coin slots

Prok, USA #145 1 coin slot.
Zfcamaro, USA #006 1 coin slot
tatman9999, USA #174 1 coin slot

jackal2001

Jul 14, 2011, 10:22:08 PM7/14/11
> I want a 2 slot door even if it never sees a quarter in it.- Hide quoted text -

I'm with you.

Detroitboy

Jul 14, 2011, 10:47:16 PM7/14/11

I want my normal two slot coin door. This is BS.

treborlicec

Jul 14, 2011, 10:43:57 PM7/14/11
On Jul 14, 9:35 pm, Joey <pinballj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That is so ghetto.  Friggen cheap ass Gary. Not that it's that big of
> a deal but like the LED boards something not mentioned beforehand.

The one slot door can't be that much cheaper. I doubt it is
cheapness. Like Lloyd says, supply on hand.

MB

Jul 14, 2011, 10:52:04 PM7/14/11
On Jul 14, 6:46 pm, solid187 <bdal...@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
> Got mine from Trent with a single slot door as well.

must be how Trent gets those great prices

Trent

Jul 14, 2011, 11:40:11 PM7/14/11
All the domestic Tron LEs have 1 slot doors.

Trent

azpinlawyer

Jul 14, 2011, 11:43:55 PM7/14/11

If I bought a chrome one from Joey, will I be able to make it a dual-
slot door?

azpinlawyer

Jul 14, 2011, 11:50:12 PM7/14/11

Nevermind--I'll use the Avatar door I subbed out for chrome.

Ignus Fast

Jul 15, 2011, 12:22:17 AM7/15/11
Good grief. Do you think there's any chance they'll let us swap it out for no/low cost? Nothing spells high-end machine like a cheap-ass coin door.

Kevin L

Jul 15, 2011, 2:31:13 AM7/15/11

I just opened up #54 and myself and the pinball friends who were here
were all absolutely blown away by the fact it came with a 1-slot door.
Absolutely ridiculous. We paid all this extra $$$ for an LE and get
this cheap ass cost cutting measure? That and the fact that they can't
even include a 80¢ Tournament button? Really??? I'm surprised they
included a set of legs with the game. There's got to be a way to
exclude those.

This will be great when operating the game as now when the coin slot
gets jammed the machine will be completely useless since it will be
unable to take any coins. Brilliant move Stern.

I was already pissed about the fact that Stern didn't include a shaker
with the game as it looks like someone stole it from the cabinet when
you look inside since all the mounting hardware is there along with the
wiring harness just hanging there.

The game plays really well and I am blown away by how much I like it
but the way Stern is running their business these days makes me not
want to give them another dime, ever.

Stern, give me a friggin 2-slot door and a SHAKER MOTOR!!!

JJP will be getting all of my new pin business in the future.

RazerX

Jul 15, 2011, 8:11:26 AM7/15/11
So now anyone who wants to operate one of these on location has to pay
extra for the coin door that came on the "pro" version even though
they paid extra for the premium machine? That really is complete
horseshit, we pay a premium price for a premium machine and we still
get cost cutting? The whole friggin idea behind the LE machines was
that we were paying extra for a machine that didn't have stuff cost
cut out of it, right?

Rob

T-Rex

Jul 15, 2011, 9:06:27 AM7/15/11

I completely agree mine may never see a quarter go through it but I
want a 2 slot door.

Trent

Jul 15, 2011, 9:44:00 AM7/15/11
Stern actually is trying to make it easier to install the shakers
motors for everyone. They are drilling and pre-installing the t-nuts
to mount the shakers motors in Tron. They may be doing it for all
games from now on.

Trent

AFM_TZ

Jul 15, 2011, 10:01:13 AM7/15/11
I know, i know, its just a coin door, quit whining, etc. Figured i'd
get that post out there before someone beats me to it.

My take on it - really upsetting. I want to establish that i am not a
Stern basher - Man, i LOVE my Ironman, and the minimalist approach
worked on that one.

But this is really getting out of hand.

Latch based lock down bars, plastic aprons, plastic pegs that put the
underside in jeopardy when you need to change a lightbulb, single coin
doors that look AWFUL, not to mention the stripped down design void of
any major toys (the entire budget went into the disc), cheap plastic
Tron arcade machine that is an awful testament to the beauty of the
original cab?

Ok, Ok, ltheres an LE version - no problem, willing to pay a little
extra - but Single coin doors on a 5600 TOP END model? Moving
recognizer that just floats on a stick? The fiber wire does look cool
though. Chrome is so so.

I understand Stern needs to stay afloat. I hear it loud and clear. But
the collectors here will pay the extra X for quality (thats what i see
anyway). Ok, so the Pro gets scaled down / cheaped up. But not the LE
man - it defeats the concept!

Jason Bauer

Jul 15, 2011, 9:39:34 AM7/15/11
Honestly I have no horse in this race.... not getting a Tron LE, but
wow... complaining about a 1 slot vs 2 slot coin door..... this is
insane!

solid187

Jul 15, 2011, 10:29:53 AM7/15/11
Same here...
I spoke with a Stern rep and he is working on a swap out, but I was
told I may have to pony up some $$$ to do it. Was told that Stern
used the money they saved to pay for other parts of the machine. If
this is true, then I'm ok with adding cash to get a new door.

Les Manley

Jul 15, 2011, 10:35:24 AM7/15/11

I don't have any horse in this race either, but I would be pissed if I
had ponied up $5,600 for an LE and it came with a 1 slot coin door. I
think the 1 slots look terrible and I have replaced them in the past
on any game I owned that I haven't sold. To pay a $1,500 premium for
something that for all intents and purposes *should* be the pro
version of the game, and then STILL get cost cutting is just beyond
me. Same thing with the tournament button IMHO.

FTRMech

Jul 15, 2011, 10:57:40 AM7/15/11

Ok, I am a bit confused here...if this was a cost cutting effort why
do the export LEs have a two entry coin door?

Michael O'Brien

Jul 15, 2011, 11:00:29 AM7/15/11
It sounds like they just ran out of the 2-slot coin doors, and
substituted 1-slot ones. It may not sound like a big deal to do, but
it'll be a huge deal for me as well if mine arrives with a 1-slot
door. I guess I would "pony up" a couple more $ for a 2-slot door, but
shit - not a good move by Stern to do without notice.

Michael

MB

Jul 15, 2011, 11:06:02 AM7/15/11

The 2-slot coin doors are $185 new!! This is NOT a trivial matter.
Stern faces 400 angry customers (minus the overseas buyers).
The money they "lose" by making it right will not compare to the sales
they will lose in the future.
It's one thing to say- "ok, so we can bring you these really neat
light tube ramps, we are going to go Kmart on the coin door." But they
didn't.

At the very least, don't buy before you see the product. What a
dilemma! If you wait on a "LE" - you can just count on adding at least
$600+ to the purchase price.
This whole LE thing stinks.

erickit

Jul 15, 2011, 11:10:51 AM7/15/11
On Jul 15, 7:01 am, AFM_TZ <jduri...@gmail.com> wrote:

I guess LE stands for Lower Expectations.
:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyhTJXFBPyg

Eric

T-Rex

Jul 15, 2011, 11:17:31 AM7/15/11
On Jul 15, 10:00 am, "Michael O'Brien" <michaelrobr...@comcast.net>
wrote:

I will pay the extra for the 2 slot door if I have to but I will think
twice about buying another Stern machine. That is just ridiculous that
they would put a 2 slot door on exports and then give us a p.o.s. 1
slot door that looks like it belongs on a zizzle machine or whatever
the hell they are called kids toy. I haven't received mine yet but if
it show's up with the 1 slot door Stern will be getting an ear full
from me.

Les Manley

Jul 15, 2011, 11:20:45 AM7/15/11

> Ok, I am a bit confused here...if this was a cost cutting effort why
> do the export LEs have a two entry coin door?

"Same here...

...man I don't know. I guess you are guys are more forgiving then I
am with something like this given the history. My question would be,
where is it going to stop? At what point are people going to stand up
and say, "I am not willing to add cash anymore to get things that
should be there in the first place."

They remove the tournament button...okay I'll pay extra for one.
They remove the playfield supports, okay I'll pay extra for them.
They change the metal apron to plastic, okay I'll pay extra for one.
They remove the armor side rails, okay I'll pay extra for them.
Now the LE US get a single slot coin door, okay I'll pay extra for
one, after paying $1,500 extra for the LE.

All this after Stern takes out all the backbox lights and flashers and
replaces with a single standard tube with no game interaction, strips
the playfield down to bare bones, strips rulesets down to near nothing
and they replace the lock down bar with a cheaper one with
latches...all while increasing the pro model price by about $500.

I wonder how much more they can remove or replace and how much longer
they can continue with this? I am not a Stern hater and I love my
RBION, but personally I think things are getting a little out of hand
with all this nickel and diming.

jackal2001

Jul 15, 2011, 11:21:23 AM7/15/11

And how much do the single coin slot doors cost? That is the real
question. What is the difference and what is the actual savings.

PinTrain

Jul 15, 2011, 11:24:36 AM7/15/11
I just unboxed my #142 yesterday from Trent (who is the man by the
way)....

And Yes, 1 Coin Slot....

COME ON STERN! !??!?!?!

Just wait until JJP starts to make quality machines e.t.c.

Not bashing Stern (as I own 5 of them) BUT COME ON!!!!

Not including a 2 coin mech door is RIDICULOUS!

~Justin

EZ E

Jul 15, 2011, 11:31:09 AM7/15/11
Ever think it's not that Stern can't get coin doors, it's they don't
have the cash or credit to actually pay for them? Do you really think
someone forgot to call the supplier and mention production numbers/
total unit produced in a year? "Hey Gary you know you can only feed
one coin in at a time right? Why have 2 slots?" "Kill it!" E

Lloyd Olson

Jul 15, 2011, 11:56:33 AM7/15/11
No, I canceled my order.

The game just seems to just keep being less.

I hate to think someone at the factory yells out we don't have enough doors,
and they get told ship them with what we've got. Only going to collectors,
doesn't matter.

LTG :(

"RazerX" <r_k...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Lloyd Olson

Jul 15, 2011, 12:00:07 PM7/15/11
You forgot one.

They remove the shaler motor..okay I'll pay extra for one. Just be sure and
program it in so well sell them things.

LTG :(

"Les Manley" <ine...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Lloyd Olson

Jul 15, 2011, 12:01:49 PM7/15/11
Probably wasn't cost. They used what they had. LTG :(

"jackal2001" <jasonm....@gmail.com> wrote in message

Lloyd Olson

Jul 15, 2011, 12:03:40 PM7/15/11
Put the programming in, add four holes. And make it easier to sell shaker
motors.

Glad they are making it easier.

I'd make it easier too if it meant selling more accessories to new owners.
LTG :)

"Trent" <tr...@midohio.net> wrote in message

Rare Hero

Jul 15, 2011, 12:21:23 PM7/15/11
On Jul 14, 11:31 pm, Kevin L <tv.so...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> That and the fact that they can't
> even include a 80¢ Tournament button? Really???

So, how come Nick's Tron LE came w/ a 2-slot door & and Tournament
button? Did the factory "screw up" on his? lol

Greg

Pinballnut

Jul 15, 2011, 12:22:09 PM7/15/11
I posted earlier but I think it went to the author of one of the above
posts. Oops, sorry.

I can only speak for myself here. Who cares? I think anyone who buys
an LE should be happy to have the funds to be able to do it. And be
happy that somebody (2 somebodies now) have the balls to manufacture
pinball machines right now in this country at all. Coin slots?
Really?

my 2 cents
Brad

FTRMech

Jul 15, 2011, 12:29:02 PM7/15/11

...wasn't he in Canada making his an export game?

mnpinball

Jul 15, 2011, 12:29:52 PM7/15/11
On Jul 15, 11:01 am, "Lloyd Olson" <l...@ssbilliards.com> wrote:
> Probably wasn't cost. They used what they had.  LTG :(
>
> "jackal2001" <jasonm.salg...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> And how much do the single coin slot doors cost?  That is the real
> question.  What is the difference and what is the actual savings.

Got an Answer back from Stern.
1-Slot doors on all domestic games for a cost savings that went into
the playfield.
-would have been nice to know ahead instead of a blindsided change.
Again people get upset when the unknowns get sprung on you.

GOCATGO

Jul 15, 2011, 12:29:31 PM7/15/11
> > Trent- Hide quoted text -

Those dirty slots...always causing trouble. ; )

ScottinSGFNY

Jul 15, 2011, 12:36:11 PM7/15/11
Everybody - show Stern you mean business - cancel your orders in
protest! - and yes I am serious!

ScottinSGFNY

ScottinSGFNY

Jul 15, 2011, 12:38:44 PM7/15/11

So what's different on the domestic playfield that the exports don't
have??

yancy

Jul 15, 2011, 12:41:54 PM7/15/11
For people like Razer X who are actually going to operate Tron LE,
this sucks.

For everyone else... really? This big of a hissy fit over coin slots
you'll never use? One-slot doors only "look weird" because you're used
to two. If you were used to one, you'd cry over a two-slot door. It
simply doesn't matter in you basement. Personally, I'm happy that
Stern is saving money on something I'll never use.

Maybe a good solution would be for Stern to provide a free replacement
for every owner who can show that the game is being operated.

Yancy

Pinballnut

Jul 15, 2011, 11:43:04 AM7/15/11
Eeegads, you guys are killing me! Who cares how many slots are in the
door? Obviously some. I can only speak for myself. I certainly don't
care!
Be happy you have the funds to buy one in the first place and be happy
somebody (now 2 somebodies) have the balls to manufacture pinball
machines in this country at all!
<rant off>
Brad

On Jul 14, 11:31 pm, Kevin L <tv.so...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 2011-07-14 16:20:34 -0700, BShing <RShi...@columbus.rr.com> said:
>
> > I just picked up my LE from Trent, game is for USA and has a .25 cent
> > Haap single slot coin door.  Pics I've seen show the double slot door
> > on the regular version.  Does anyone else with the LE have the
> > European door?  I'm wondering if they ran out and just used what was
> > on hand.
>
> I just opened up #54 and myself and the pinball friends who were here
> were all absolutely blown away by the fact it came with a 1-slot door.
> Absolutely ridiculous. We paid all this extra $$$ for an LE and get
> this cheap ass cost cutting measure? That and the fact that they can't
> even include a 80¢ Tournament button? Really??? I'm surprised they
> included a set of legs with the game. There's got to be a way to
> exclude those.
>
> This will be great when operating the game as now when the coin slot
> gets jammed the machine will be completely useless since it will be
> unable to take any coins. Brilliant move Stern.
>
> I was already pissed about the fact that Stern didn't include a shaker
> with the game as it looks like someone stole it from the cabinet when
> you look inside since all the mounting hardware is there along with the
> wiring harness just hanging there.
>
> The game plays really well and I am blown away by how much I like it
> but the way Stern is running their business these days makes me not
> want to give them another dime, ever.
>
> Stern, give me a friggin 2-slot door and a SHAKER MOTOR!!!
>
> JJP will be getting all of my new pin business in the future.

Lloyd Olson

Jul 15, 2011, 12:43:09 PM7/15/11
Get upset with good reason.

Order/buy a new game.

Want a shaker motor - about $200 with shipping.

Want a two slot coin door - about $125 with shipping.

Any more unknowns going to happen ?

Have updates sent to me. Since I'm still waiting on the Spiderman plastic
update for over a year, that isn't reassuring.

Buy a $5K plus machine and put hundreds into it so you can get what you
want. And not know ahead of time so you can have the parts on hand if you
were still inclined.

No thanks.

LTG

"mnpinball" <mnpi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Ignus Fast

Jul 15, 2011, 12:44:41 PM7/15/11
Really? So is Stern saying that the Canucks who ordered somehow got a lesser playfield? Or will they own up and just say, "Sorry - we like to screw our own..."

On Friday, July 15, 2011 11:29:52 AM UTC-5, mnpinball wrote:

> On Jul 15, 11:01 am, "Lloyd Olson" <l....@ssbilliards.com> wrote:
> > Probably wasn't cost. They used what they had.  LTG :(

Pinballradio

Jul 15, 2011, 1:13:31 PM7/15/11
On Jul 15, 12:03 pm, "Lloyd Olson" <l...@ssbilliards.com> wrote:

> I'd make it easier too if it meant selling more accessories to new owners.
> LTG :)

Hammer to Nailhead.

Pinballradio

Jul 15, 2011, 1:11:31 PM7/15/11

> They remove the tournament button...okay I'll pay extra for one.
> They remove the playfield supports, okay I'll pay extra for them.
> They change the metal apron to plastic, okay I'll pay extra for one.
> They remove the armor side rails, okay I'll pay extra for them.
> Now the LE US get a single slot coin door, okay I'll pay extra for
> one, after paying $1,500 extra for the LE.

The last good LE was Spiderman Black. It came with all of this...and
MUCH cheaper than these new LE's (Avatar, Tron) that have way less.
I have bought 3 Stern NIB pins and I stopped buying after they dumped
the playfield rails and some other features.
Prices went up, what you get went way down.
I am glad I get to enjoy the 3 Sterns I have before their practices,
for whatever reason, went down the tubes.
If I had purchased a Tron LE I would also be angry. If it was
disclosed beforehand, that would be one thing. To cut cost on what is
supposed to be a superior version at last minute, just stinks and
really sours their customers. I hope Stern works this out for you LE
owners of Tron. I will not say I'd never buy a Stern again, but it
would take a major change with their company for me to do so. I will
not order a LE from them as long as they play this game of mystery
grab bag as far as what you will get for the LE price. The shaker
motor thing is a joke too. Holes and a harness and now pay extra for
that too on a premium LE title? Good luck with that. I wonder if
someone at Stern wants their company to crash into the ground
sometimes.

PinTrain

Jul 15, 2011, 1:20:31 PM7/15/11
I am personally upset because EVERY other machine I own obviously has
two slots and two pretty little lights lit up behind them in the front
where as my FIRST NIB PURCHASE EVER DOES NOT.

It may not seem like a big deal to people who don't own an LE but when
you a pay a premium for something you expect it to not have corners
cut!

Prime Example would be people who buy a top end luxury car e.t.c. -
You expect it to clearly NOT be missing things that the "lower" models
have!

Would I buy a "Premium" model of a car if it didn't come with a window
defroster or AC ?!?!!

It's not the end-all of things for me but NOT having this information
before purchasing I think is PURPOSELY misleading!

P.S. Brad - Just get your ass over here and play my machine tonight
would ya ?!?! :-p

~Justin
Sacramento, CA

Pinballradio

Jul 15, 2011, 1:21:34 PM7/15/11
On Jul 15, 12:43 pm, "Lloyd Olson" <l...@ssbilliards.com> wrote:
> Get upset with good reason.
>
> Order/buy a new game.
>
> Want a shaker motor - about $200 with shipping.
>
> Want a two slot coin door - about $125 with shipping.
>
> Any more unknowns going to happen ?
>
> Have updates sent to me. Since I'm still waiting on the Spiderman plastic
> update for over a year, that isn't reassuring.
>
> Buy a $5K plus machine and put hundreds into it so you can get what you
> want. And not know ahead of time so you can have the parts on hand if you
> were still inclined.
>
> No thanks.
>
> LTG
>
> "mnpinball" <mnpinb...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Got an Answer back from Stern.
> 1-Slot doors on all domestic games for a cost savings that went into
> the playfield.
> -would have been nice to know ahead instead of a blindsided change.
> Again people get upset when the unknowns get sprung on you.

The "unknowns" Lloyd mentions are exactly why I was not a buyer of
Avatar or Tron LE...or any NIB since Spidey.
You don't know what you are getting, you are not kept up to date, you
have an expectation of what you *might* be getting only to be
surprised upon opening the box.
No Thanks Indeed!

T-Rex

Jul 15, 2011, 1:21:01 PM7/15/11
On Jul 15, 11:38 am, ScottinSGFNY <serv...@theprinterrepairguy.com>
wrote:

That is a very good question. What did we get on our playfield that
the exports didn't get? Why did they have to save money by giving us a
cheap ass coin door? Also to the morons that are saying quit
complaining about a coin door we paid a premium price for our machines
and we expected it to be a premium machine not some stupid ass kids
toy look alike piece of shit.

mr tobias

Jul 15, 2011, 1:29:45 PM7/15/11

I have bought plenty of new Sterns down the years, but I've said from
the start of this cost cutting that it was just the thin end of the
wedge. The idea of paying extra for parts that should be part of the
product in the first place doesn't sit well with me.

It will only stop when people stop buying Stern's product and make it
clear they will no longer pay more for less. Then Stern either changes
their business approach or closes the doors - it's their choice.
Pinball will continue with or without Stern.

Pinballradio

Jul 15, 2011, 1:38:01 PM7/15/11

Who knows? That is another reason I don't buy them anymore! Too many
versions of games and confusing as hell as to what you are getting!
Here's how Tron's run will look.

Tron LE USA Version with 1 door Slot and some extra playfield thing
that caused them to use the 1 door slot. Maybe a shaker or maybe
not. Depends if QA was at lunch.
Tron LE USA Version with 2 door Slot due to some owner's complaining
and have the extra playfield thing. Shaker motor because they paid an
extra 200.00 bucks.
Tron LE USA Version with 2 door Slot due to some owner's complaining
and have the extra playfield thing. No shaker motor because customer
is angry and won't buy again.
Tron LE Canada Version with 2 door Slot and something missing off the
playfield. Be glad you got the 2 slot door and have a playfield. If
you want more, we'll give you a single slot and send you the extra
playfield stuff.
Tron Pro
Tron Classic
Tron Light (to be announced...this will have two flippers, a hole with
the mock video game above it and a flasher inside the mock video
game). Price 1299.99. Can be upgraded ala cart to Tron Classic as
you get the funds.

DJS

Jul 15, 2011, 1:40:18 PM7/15/11
My distributor said he'd rather ship mine to me from a Canadian
Warehouse, I told him I would be pissed if there were any differences
and he said Stern made a straight run of all the same games, if mine
shows up marked for Canada what differences should I be aware of now
so I can call before it's too late? if the playfield on the USA is
different I would like to know how exactly if anyone knows.

AFM_TZ

Jul 15, 2011, 1:40:10 PM7/15/11
Single coin door was used on the "Classic" machines. And, It looks
awful. Especially in a lineup of 2 coin doors. Fine, we can get over
it, but there is more to this.

I am typically not one for complaining or jumping on the bandwagon,
but this time its needed - something needs to change. Stern needs to
read this - its a serious problem. There is a clear trend in
decreasing expectations surrounding the hardware bought on by Stern
here. My fear is that if it keeps up, and no one says anything, your
Transformers may ship with optional full lighting and rubber kits.
Yes, its extreme and facetious, but who knows what else can get cut?
Maybe plastic lockdown bars are next.

I was one of the first in line for a Tron LE with my downpayment. I
was very eager for the game. But, when i saw what 5600 (or even 4300
or so) buys me, i "chickened" out - i found value in other Pins and
canceled my order. Thats not good. Was it the gameplay? No. Was it the
sounds? No. It was the fact that there is value to be had in other
pins, and the minimalist approach doesnt feel right. These things are
really scaled down now. Hopefully, it ends here.

Rare Hero

Jul 15, 2011, 2:32:35 PM7/15/11
On Jul 15, 10:20 am, PinTrain <fattr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It may not seem like a big deal to people who don't own an LE but when
> you a pay a premium for something you expect it to not have corners
> cut!

Exactly. It's the principal of it. The cost cuts are expected/
accepted on the Pro version. LE should have no corners cut. People
are paying a premium and should get a premium. Taking out the shaker
was bullshit...not including a Tournament button is annoying...this
coin door thing is just another slap in the face. ...and Jack is
throwing in the gaddamn kitchen sink w/ his game.

While I'm definitely interested in Transformers and Steve's game...I'm
in full on skeptic mode now. No more hype. Wait and see approach.

Greg

jackal2001

Jul 15, 2011, 2:40:53 PM7/15/11
On Jul 15, 1:40 pm, AFM_TZ <jduri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Single coin door was used on the "Classic" machines. And, It looks
> awful. Especially in a lineup of 2 coin doors. Fine, we can get over
> it, but there is more to this.

Classics didn't have any coin slots. They used just a plain door.

I'm sure Stern will be getting a lot of calls about this if not
already.

Metahugh

Jul 15, 2011, 2:44:04 PM7/15/11

Stern has already influenced me. I would have died for a Transformers
pin back when Stern wasn't pulling what they are now. Now I'm
definitely in wait and see mode. They have a lot to prove.

Hugh

erickit

Jul 15, 2011, 2:48:23 PM7/15/11

When you get ready to sell one of your HUO Sterns just swap the
coindoors and tell the buyer they get an LE upgrade N/C.
They will be thrilled to be "upgraded".
;)

Eric

Eric

RazerX

Jul 15, 2011, 3:01:30 PM7/15/11
That's bullshit to make anyone pay extra for it, if that was their
plan all along, then it should have been in the damn press release
instead of just trying to slip this one by us. Maybe have section
after the added features called subtracted features.

Rob

c2

Jul 15, 2011, 3:09:04 PM7/15/11
I agree with you and don't buy Stern machines anymore either. I used to
think Stern couldn't sustain their cost cutting, price escalating trends
because nobody would buy the machines. I was clearly wrong. Tons of
people (apparently) bought Tron LE - knowing full well what the recent
history has been. I sympathize and agree that the coindoor thing is a
further cheapening of the product, but its certainly not surprising. As
long as Stern moves inventory, why would they do anything different?
Complaining on rgp means nothing if you send in your money anyway.

-Craig

Chriskd

Jul 15, 2011, 3:19:48 PM7/15/11
Can someone confirm: Do the domestic LE's ship with the Tournament
button?

RazerX

Jul 15, 2011, 3:22:43 PM7/15/11
Really Yancy? Cmon, an LE model of anything should have everything
the PRO model has plus more--that's the whole concept and why we paid
more for it.

Every Expo Stern tells us that primary function of these games is to
go on location and earn money for the Operator and then we get single
slot coin doors, well which is it Stern? Are these "REAL" pinball
machines?

Rob

Kevin L

Jul 15, 2011, 3:32:04 PM7/15/11

#54 domestic has no Tournament button so I would say NO.

Rare Hero

Jul 15, 2011, 3:36:10 PM7/15/11
On Jul 15, 12:09 pm, c2 <jcrai...@pincrush.com> wrote:
> Tons of
> people (apparently) bought Tron LE - knowing full well what the recent
> history has been.

Here's the thing though...at least in the case of Tron - you have a
lot of non-pinheads buying it. I know a ton of vid-only collectors
bought Tron LE....cuz Tron is the greatest thing in the world to
them. They don't know (or care) about what's been going on at
Stern....they don't know one coin door from another. They will be
perfectly happy w/ this game, and not complain about the things guys
like us would complain about.

Greg

Brian Smith

Jul 15, 2011, 3:36:24 PM7/15/11
I thought I heard that WOZ preorders will come with 2 coin slots AND a
free bill acceptor too for operator machines.

Rare Hero

Jul 15, 2011, 3:38:53 PM7/15/11
On Jul 15, 12:36 pm, Brian Smith <dest...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I thought I heard that WOZ preorders will come with 2 coin slots AND a
> free bill acceptor too for operator machines.

...and a shaker....and possibly tons of other cool shit like non-glare
glass. :)

Greg

Metahugh

Jul 15, 2011, 3:33:14 PM7/15/11
On Jul 15, 3:19 pm, Chriskd <rocket...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can someone confirm: Do the domestic LE's ship with the Tournament
> button?

Not any that I have seen. In time we will see if that is a random
occurrence.

Hugh

Rob

Jul 15, 2011, 3:42:47 PM7/15/11
On Jul 15, 11:06 am, MB <m...@bergnz.com> wrote:
> On Jul 15, 7:01 am, AFM_TZ <jduri...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I know, i know, its just a coin door, quit whining, etc. Figured i'd
> > get that post out there before someone beats me to it.
>
> > My take on it  - really upsetting. I want to establish that i am not a
> > Stern basher - Man, i LOVE my Ironman, and the minimalist approach
> > worked on that one.
>
> > But this is really getting out of hand.
>
> > Latch based lock down bars, plastic aprons, plastic pegs that put the
> > underside in jeopardy when you need to change a lightbulb, single coin
> > doors that look AWFUL, not to mention the stripped down design void of
> > any major toys (the entire budget went into the disc), cheap plastic
> > Tron arcade machine that is an awful testament to the beauty of the
> > original cab?
>
> > Ok, Ok, ltheres an LE version - no problem, willing to pay a little
> > extra - but Single coin doors on a 5600 TOP END model? Moving
> > recognizer that just floats on a stick? The fiber wire does look cool
> > though. Chrome is so so.
>
> > I understand Stern needs to stay afloat. I hear it loud and clear. But
> > the collectors here will pay the extra X for quality (thats what i see
> > anyway). Ok, so the Pro gets scaled down / cheaped up. But not the LE
> > man - it defeats the concept!
>
> The 2-slot coin doors are $185 new!!  This is NOT a trivial matter.
> Stern faces 400 angry customers (minus the overseas buyers).
> The money they "lose" by making it right will not compare to the sales
> they will lose in the future.
> It's one thing to say- "ok, so we can bring you these really neat
> light tube ramps, we are going to go Kmart on the coin door." But they
> didn't.
>
> At the very least, don't buy before you see the product. What a
> dilemma! If you wait on a "LE" - you can just count on adding at least
> $600+ to the purchase price.
> This whole LE thing stinks.- Hide quoted text -

A coin door is 185 new? What the price they charge their customers?
I have bought new doors for my Williams/Bally pins for 100 or less? I
am not sure if they are Happ while are much better quality than the
cheaper quality 2 slot doors on my other Stern pins? The weight
difference is significant between the two. I think the Williams/Bally
doors look better also.

Why would export and Pro versions have the two slot doors? Those
obviously shipped out first while it seems more likely they just ran
out? Have they not anticipated that they would needs doors for all
the LE's. Are they on backorder or is it just simply another cost
cutting move?

The excuse that the "extra" money went into the playfield does not
make sense. What is the difference in the export LE pf's and the
domestic one's? Sure is crappy customer service. Just seems like you
keep paying more and more, especially for the LE's, and get less and
less. Hate to see what Stern's next cost cutting measure is.
Likely will not buy another new Stern pin again unless things change.

Rob

yancy

Jul 15, 2011, 3:48:31 PM7/15/11
On Jul 15, 12:20 pm, PinTrain <fattr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am personally upset because EVERY other machine I own
> obviously has two slots

Two slots are obvious, huh? I have a TOTAN with three, the Jackbot I
recently sold had one, and my '80s Ballys have a variety of 1, 2, or 3
depending on how many metal plates are in place of slots. It's not
Stern's job to worry about a new coin door matching your collection.
Learn to appreciate the variety.

Or just ignore coin slots and play pinball. That's my method.

> and two pretty little lights lit up behind them in the front
> where as my FIRST NIB PURCHASE EVER DOES NOT.

Deep breath.

> Would I buy a "Premium" model of a car if it
> didn't come with a window defroster or AC ?!?!!

How often do you use your car's climate control? How often do you use
your coin slots?

Yancy

doctorquest

Jul 15, 2011, 3:53:59 PM7/15/11
Tron LE is my first NIB purchase for my small but growing collection.
I've already played the Pro version and really liked it and decided to
get the LE knowing I'll like the enhancements. I'm eagerly awaiting
its deleivery. This machine will be in my basement so I definately
don't need two coin doors, in fact it will be set for free play so I
really don't even need the single slot. But I do agree the single slot
looks cheaper and doesn't look as nice when its in a collection with
other dual slot door pins right next to it. That being said this whole
coin door issue shows Stern serious lack of customer focus. I can
understand the need to save costs as much as possible to keep the
business going but how much did they really save with the single slot
door at the expoense of pissing off their premium customers? Stern
should at least act like they care about their premium LE customers.
If these customers are treated well/respected they would be the
cheerleaders for this and future Stern games. Its not as much about
the number of slots in the door as much as the perception of how Stern
is treating its premium customers.

I looked online and saw single WPC coin doors for about $99 and dual
slot doors for $119. Those didn't include the coin mech itself which
would add another $10. So retail cost difference is on the order of
$30. Sterns wholesale cost saving would be even less maye $15-$20 as a
guess? There were 400 LE's produced, assume 100 of those went
overseas so they used a dual door, that leaves 300 machines with a
single slot door. So $20 x 300 = $6000 dollars saved. Do they think
that saving the approx retail cost of a single LE game is worth it to
make their premium customers feel like they are getting less for
paying more? Plus add in the number of people who didn't buy this game
but now they might be less enthusiastic about Transformers or other
future pins based on these types of tactics. I just don't see how they
thought this was a good idea. If they really need to save costs why
did all of the non-US units get dual doors? They should have at least
listed the single slot door on the their press release detailign the
difference from the Pro version.

yancy

Jul 15, 2011, 3:56:48 PM7/15/11
On Jul 15, 2:22 pm, RazerX <r_ko...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Really Yancy?  Cmon, an LE model of anything should have everything
> the PRO model has plus more--that's the whole concept and why we paid
> more for it.

Honestly, I couldn't care less. If Stern is saving money on coin doors
to put it elsewhere, great. I don't care if my games have zero coin
slots.

But, I agree that it sucks for their best customers like you, who
actually take the risk of being an operator in 2011.

Yancy

Pinballnut

Jul 15, 2011, 3:58:13 PM7/15/11

> P.S. Brad - Just get your ass over here and play my machine tonight
> would ya ?!?!  :-p
>
> ~Justin
> Sacramento, CA

Without a two-slotted coin door? Are you kidding?
Not unless I can bring you my sawzall so'z we can put another slot in
that there fancy machine ya got! :-)
And another light bulb too, dang it!

Guess it's no big deal to me since the damn game is way overpriced to
begin with and they are jerking our chains to get money out of us for
it. Frankly, I'd rather give it to Stern so they can hire Steve,
George and Lyman then some dude who buys 3 and pops the price up to
make cash for dong nothin' but sittin' his fat ass on 'em. Face it,
TRON is a cool license and they are going to make money. Yep, shoulda
told us there were 2 coin doors and LED boards.

Yet, I am happy they exist and make machines still in 2011, in the
USA. Have you looked around to see what else they don't make here
anymore?

It's only pinball, man! And right now it's the only pinball! I am
trying to support both manufacturers, thanks.

over and out, see ya tonite!

Brad, Vacaville, CA

MB

Jul 15, 2011, 4:07:48 PM7/15/11

> Got an Answer back from Stern.
> 1-Slot doors on all domestic games for a cost savings that went into
> the playfield.
> -would have been nice to know ahead instead of a blindsided change.
> Again people get upset when the unknowns get sprung on you.

Who! So the International customers didn't get the xtras that went
into the playfield? Bullshit.
Then again, they do pay more for the games, so that's fair. HOWEVER-
it's all about disclosure.
Gary's disdain for the collector is showing through big time on this
one.

PinTrain

Jul 15, 2011, 4:40:38 PM7/15/11

I am personally upset because EVERY other machine I own
obviously has two slots

Two slots are obvious, huh? I have a TOTAN with three, the Jackbot I
recently sold had one, and my '80s Ballys have a variety of 1, 2, or
3
depending on how many metal plates are in place of slots. It's not
Stern's job to worry about a new coin door matching your collection.
Learn to appreciate the variety.

REPLY:
Every other pin in my lineup just so happens to be STERN as well
because I'm a loyal customer so YES, when I spend six thousand dollars
I would like it to fucking match.

- - - - - - - - - -

Would I buy a "Premium" model of a car if it
didn't come with a window defroster or AC ?!?!!

How often do you use your car's climate control? How often do you use
your coin slots?

REPLY:
You're missing the point completely.... The point is that they TOOK
AWAY OPTIONS THAT SHOULD BE STANDARD (AND ARE, ON A LESSER MODEL) TO
CALL IT AN UPGRADE!

RazerX

Jul 15, 2011, 4:40:45 PM7/15/11
If Stern does not remedy this, then I am more than likely out on any
future purchases.

Rob

John Jundt

Jul 15, 2011, 4:47:17 PM7/15/11

> Honestly, I couldn't care less. If Stern is saving money on coin doors
> to put it elsewhere, great. I don't care if my games have zero coin
> slots.

I think the key here is that they ARE saving money on cost cutting
like with the coin doors, but they are NOT putting it elsewhere, so
you shouldn't be happy. For all the cost cutting we have seen in the
last few years, we really have not seen *any* of that money put back
into the game elsewhere, as it seems everything from modes, rules and
playfield features have been cut right along with the physical parts
cost cutting. Physical parts and features, modes and rules are less
and less, which saves money...but yet the price of each title goes up
with each release? More and more money each release each time for
less and less.

Art

Jul 15, 2011, 4:50:29 PM7/15/11
While I may not understand the difference between the domestic and international machines, the coin slots aren't a biggie to me. I'm certainly not an operator but I can't see why an op would buy an LE to route instead of the Pro.

I've got my Capcom Pinball Magic sitting here with 1 coin slot and I've used the coin slot 0 times.

I'm happy to pay the programmers more to put in stuff like the Daft Punk multiball if they can save $40 on the coin door to do that. Like others, I just don't see the diff between domestic and international.

Art-

John Jundt

Jul 15, 2011, 4:54:42 PM7/15/11

Wasn't the extra $1,500 for an LE to pay the programmers more to put
in stuff like the Daft Punk multiball?

PinTrain

Jul 15, 2011, 4:56:14 PM7/15/11

I think it's the general "shady practices" by Stern as of late by
purposely not telling people LE details like the coin door e.t.c.

And NONE of my coin doors are EVER used but that's not the point.... I
should expect something as trivial as your dual-slot coin door to be
included in my Limited Edition Premium blah blah blah edition machine!

~Justin

Lloyd Olson

Jul 15, 2011, 4:59:07 PM7/15/11
Unlike certain manufacturer. I ( an op ) try to provide the best for my
customers that I can. I wouldn't even consider a Pro. Whether my customers
knew the difference or not. I would.

That is what keeps them coming back. LTG :)

"Art" <sam...@gmail.com> wrote in message

RotaryRex

Jul 15, 2011, 4:59:07 PM7/15/11

Does anyone beleive that bullshit? There ain't not frickin differences
on the playfields! The domestic US games got one coin slot to save
money period! The export games get a 2 slot coin door here in UK and
Europe anyway as that's what exports here seem to have got since the
beginning of time along with tourament buttons, there is no difference
between playfields that's just some back tracking PR bullshit that
Jody and his team came up with ASAP as damage control before they
moved onto what shit should we post on Facebook today!

MB

Jul 15, 2011, 4:20:14 PM7/15/11

PinballLife has WMS coind doors for $125 and Stern's for $185.

Why the difference ???

PinTrain

yancy

Jul 15, 2011, 5:10:06 PM7/15/11
On Jul 15, 3:47 pm, John Jundt <johnjundt1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the key here is that they ARE saving money on cost cutting
> like with the coin doors, but they are NOT putting it elsewhere, so
> you shouldn't be happy.

Every dollar saved on something relatively useless goes somewhere more
useful in the company, is my point. I don't expect exactly $20 of
extra stuff on my Tron LE to make up for the coin slot, but maybe it
means they can put a few more bucks into Transformers. Or give Lyman a
raise.

Yancy

Bryan Kelly

Jul 15, 2011, 5:09:22 PM7/15/11
Because Terry now has Williams doors made for him and he has to buy
the Stern doors.

Bryan (CARGPB 14)
http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

On Jul 15, 3:20 pm, MB <m...@bergnz.com> wrote:

> PinballLife has WMS coind doors for $125 and Stern's for $185.
>

> Why the difference  ???- Hide quoted text -

Art

Jul 15, 2011, 5:16:47 PM7/15/11
I forgot to say with the exception of Pinball specific ops like LTG who really do cater to the pinball fans .

I was thinking more along the lines of the op that's putting them in bars, bowling alleys, etc. Assuming the average player at those locations doesn't really know the difference, the cost of the game would take longer to recoup on an LE. Again, just a guess.

Art-

Lloyd Olson

Jul 15, 2011, 5:23:57 PM7/15/11
Different manufacturers. WMS is probably similar to Entrophy, and stern
uses HAPP, and HAPP prices have gone up. LTG :)

"MB" <m...@bergnz.com> wrote in message

RotaryRex

Jul 15, 2011, 5:24:53 PM7/15/11

Somewhere more useful? How is Garys pocket more useful? Bare with me
on my pricing as im in uk and really dont keep up to date on current
US pricing but Stern takes $20 off for a single coin door, $80 for
playfield supports, $60 for real lockdown bar and mechanism, $50 for
armour side rails, do you honestly think any of the money is put back
into other areas of the game? First bare in mind that along with the
cost cutting - removal of hardware, lesser rules, many feature toys
down to a single toy, there has also been simultaneous price increases!

mr tobias

Jul 15, 2011, 5:20:36 PM7/15/11
On Jul 15, 3:29 pm, solid187 <bdal...@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
> Same here...
> I spoke with a Stern rep and he is working on a swap out, but I was
> told I may have to pony up some $$$ to do it.  Was told that Stern
> used the money they saved to pay for other parts of the machine.  If
> this is true, then I'm ok with adding cash to get a new door.

So what is this extra something that has been added to domestic
playfields, which the cheaper coin door offsets? Is this fact or just
hearsay?

For the record there is some misinformation floating around here. Some
export machines have had single slot coin doors for years, such as
official UK ones. A multi coin mech is used that recognizes many
different coin denominations. The machine interprets this as coins
through five or more different slots, but in practice there is only
one physical slot in the door. Not that this makes this issue any more
palatable for domestic buyers, but just wanted to clarify this.

yancy

Jul 15, 2011, 5:40:42 PM7/15/11
On Jul 15, 4:24 pm, RotaryRex <jon.mar...@live.co.uk> wrote:
> Somewhere more useful? How is Garys pocket more useful?

I would rather see Gary make more money than see an extra coin slot.

> do you honestly think any of the money is put back into other areas of the game?

Yes, I think some portion of the money they save is put back into
design, materials, software, etc. Some of it goes back in the new
investors' pockets. That's what's supposed to happen when you invest
in a failing company. Save the company some money, make yourself some
money.

As it turns out, they apparently didn't anticipate how many non-
operator customers have an irrational attachment to coin slots. If
they're smart, they won't do it again.

Yancy

RotaryRex

Jul 15, 2011, 5:50:02 PM7/15/11

Yeah my apologies UK games have the single slot, but as far as I know
european games have the 2 slots.

It is loading more messages.