Re: Getaway ROM versions comparison

D Peeples

Apr 11, 2005, 2:14:43 PM4/11/05
One other thing about L5 is it adds the GAME RESTART option which those of
us with small children really appreciate having.

Dave
"jvzijp" <jas...@j-van-zijp.speedlinq.nl> wrote in message
> I have collected this info from the several threads about the
> ROM-revisions. I haven't tested them myself, they are just the
> collected experiences from the threads.
>
> ROM REVISION L1 L2 L5
>
> Supercharger driver can blow
> when more than 1 ball in
> supercharger YES --- NO +++ NO +++
>
> 2 state flippers NO - NO - YES +
>
> Run The REDLIGHT display mode YES ++ YES ++ NO --
>
> Secret mania bug with
> forgotten ball-locks YES - YES - NO +
>
> Endless multiball
> (FREE RIDE BUG) ? 0 YES -- NO ++
>
> Redlight mania to normal
> multiball shift bug ? 0 ? 0 YES --
>
> Multiple balls released from
> lock multi player) ? 0 NO + YES -
>
> Extra ball in video mode NO - YES + YES +
>
> Display Flicker
> Supercharge Mode YES - NO + NO +
>
> Supercharger raise and
> enable 1-2-3 NO 0 YES 0 YES 0
>
> Supercharger enabled
> with 3loops YES 0 NO 0 NO 0
>
> Standard generous free
> ride time NO - YES + YES +

----

> Overall score: ------ +++++ +++++
>
> L1 is a big NO-NO! If you have one: GRADE UP ASAP!
> L2 and L5 are equally good, seems up to the personal taste of the
> player...

jvzijp

Apr 11, 2005, 11:30:04 AM4/11/05

Mike Schudel

Apr 11, 2005, 11:37:57 AM4/11/05
>I have collected this info from the several threads about the
> ROM-revisions. I haven't tested them myself, they are just the
> collected experiences from the threads.

Nice comparison.

I had L5 in mine for about a week and switched to L2. The only thing I
really noticed was the "Run the Red Light" display sequence. I don't
remember any of the idiosyncracies associated with L5 when I had it in my
game.

I wish it was easier to switch roms back and forth and some way to hold high
scores in some sort of dynamic RAM so they aren't lost when switching ROMS.

--
Mike S.
Kalamazoo, MI

Gameroom: http://tinyurl.com/4hfev
WCS Owner's List: http://tinyurl.com/39cjo
MB Scoop Repair: http://tinyurl.com/9lfu

Wolffy

Apr 11, 2005, 11:55:13 AM4/11/05
Hello, there are just a few things I wanted to add to your comparison:

jvzijp wrote:
> ROM REVISION L1 L2 L5
>

> Secret mania bug with
> forgotten ball-locks YES - YES - NO +

For some clarification, I've heard L5 has this. In addition, on L2 the
traffic lights will not be correct but the actual count of balls in the
lock will be correct. I've only encountered one time where it forgot
how to lock balls after a Secret Mania in L2.

> Endless multiball
> (FREE RIDE BUG) ? 0 YES -- NO ++

In L2 (in my sampling) happens when Multiball is awarded from
burn-rubber, not the normal way of correcting it. But yes it is present.

> Redlight mania to normal
> multiball shift bug ? 0 ? 0 YES --

In L2 it's the other way around. If Red line mania is lit when you come
out of red-light multiball the game will tell you to shift, but if you
do nothing happens. Simply a cosmetic bug.

> Display Flicker
> Supercharge Mode YES - NO + NO +

L2 has this problem as well.

Hope this information helps in your comparison. There are some extra
bugs on the super charger diverter and lock ramp lift mechanism that
when the happen make the game almost unplayable in L2. Sadly the common
opinion is that L2 is more stable than L5.

-wolffy

metallik

Apr 11, 2005, 7:24:22 PM4/11/05
> Hope this information helps in your comparison. There are some extra
> bugs on the super charger diverter and lock ramp lift mechanism that
> when the happen make the game almost unplayable in L2. Sadly the common
> opinion is that L2 is more stable than L5.

What are those extra bugs? I've had the occasional ball catch the SC
divertor and also occasional ramp miss, but not often. I like L2
because of the RUN THE RED LIGHT bit, and am willing to put up with the
occasional free ride bug for it, but if there are other bugs...?

jvzijp

Apr 12, 2005, 4:34:19 AM4/12/05
Thank you all for your reactions!

> > Redlight mania to normal
> > multiball shift bug ? 0 ? 0 YES --
>
> In L2 it's the other way around. If Red line mania is lit when you come
> out of red-light multiball the game will tell you to shift, but if you
> do nothing happens. Simply a cosmetic bug.

What I meant was that in L5, when you shoot the supercharger as
redlight mania is lit, occasionally you are 'rewarded' with a normal
multiball instead of redlight mania. I don't know if this happens on
L1 or L2.

According to all your reactions, it seems like L5 is better than L2.
The only reason to use L2 is if you can't do without the 'Run the
REDLIGHT' mode. I'll try L5 in my machine ASAP (it is currently on
L1).

Steve McIntyre

Apr 24, 2005, 7:52:24 AM4/24/05
After extensive playtesting I've decided the L-5 ROM sucks (my multiball
experiences with it have really put me off)

L-5 has bad "conflicts" between Redline Mania and Standard Multiball.
Though most these "problems" do not become apparent until after
Redline Mania has been completed.

I'm seeing "mysterious" ball savers in the middle of multiball, usually
after 2 Super Jackpots. Without warning, Free Ride lights up.
Super Jackpot is no longer lit, with 20 loops to relight Jackpot
(this happens with 2 or 3 balls in play)

I've had numerous occasions when "Run The Red Light" is lit and Redline
Mania is lit. Collecting Redline Mania first. After multiball is over,
"Run The Red Light" is no longer available - all the lights go back
to green. I've also done this in reverse, ie: started standard
multiball first.

On one instance, I jammed the software. Stuck on 3rd gear I couldn't
advance gear at all (needed one more freeway loop to complete 3rd gear).

Has anyone else got comments on this? I'd like some feedback
I've only been able to play one L-5 Getaway machine, though I've
duplicated all of this using PinMame (emulator).

Though I appreciate that the L-2 ROM has bugs as well. I find it
more playable and enjoyable.

Steven McIntyre
st...@uq.net.au
Brisbane, Australia

D Peeples <dpee...@woh.rr.remove.com> wrote:
: One other thing about L5 is it adds the GAME RESTART option which those of

Jim_F

Apr 24, 2005, 8:32:06 AM4/24/05
Two more pluses with L5: Independent UR and LR flippers and the slow
restart option. Still, losing the "run the red light", having a couple
of Redline Manias stolen from me, and maybe a couple of other
disappoinments that don't immediately come to mind, led me to switch
back to L2 after each time I tried L5.

jvzijp

Apr 25, 2005, 4:42:24 AM4/25/05
I've been playing L-5 in a real machine and in pinMame for a while and
i am getting a bit annoyed because of the multiball bugs. I achived
Redline Mania for the first time on the real machine (the 2nd time i
played it) i immediatly collected the jackpot, shot 3 balls in the
supercharger and collected the jackpot again. I was very excited
because i expected a SUPER jackpot. Instead, i received a 'normal' 25M
jackpot again. That really got me annoyed.

The next play, i completed the 5th gear so i could collect Redline
Mania. Instead of collecting RM, i first locked my 3rd ball so normal
multiball began. When i lost 2 balls, i went back to normal play and
got ready to shoot the supercharger for RM. However the display showed
me '1 st gear' !!! I got so annoyed that i turned off the machine. I
will try the L-2 rom ASAP because L-5 really starts to p*ss me *ff!
(And that after 3 (THREE!!) plays!)

I hope these problems are not present in L-2...

Jasper

Steve McIntyre

Apr 27, 2005, 11:07:38 PM4/27/05
Well i'm happy to know it wasn't me (for a while there I thought
I was going crazy) - years ago when I played the L-2 ROM I never
had any trouble with multiball.

Steven McIntyre
st...@uq.net.au
Brisbane, Australia