FS: WPC NO-POP speaker noise eliminator

Herb Schanke

May 11, 2004, 6:34:16 PM5/11/04
This is a small circuit board (2.2" x 2.8") that will eliminate the "pop"
from the speakers of your WPC game at start up and shut down. The best part
is that it also includes a wiring harness that allows it to be installed
without cutting any of the wires on your game or having to do any soldering.
Kit includes the board, wiring harness, and 4 mounting screws & spacers.
Installation is quick and easy. It can be mounted either in the backbox or
on the back side of the backbox door. If you'd rather not screw it into the
backbox you could also hang it with tie-wraps.

This board is for WPC games using the A-12738 sound board. This includes
the following pins:

Funhouse
Harley Davidson

The Machine BOP

Gilligan's Island

Terminator 2

Hurricane
Party Zone

Party Zone

Addams Family

The Getaway

Black Rose

Fish Tales

Dr. Who

WhiteWater

Creature Black Lagoon
Dracula

Twilight Zone

You can see pictures of the board here:

http://tinyurl.com/yrmjw

Price is $29.95 plus $4.50 Priority Mail shipping. Free shipping on orders
of 3 or more.

Send me an email for details on how to order.

Herb Schanke

someotherguy

May 11, 2004, 6:49:32 PM5/11/04
Pretty cool; Herb! Not a surprise someone stepped up and started making these
so that the lazy ones of us wouldn't have to make our own. : )

I may have to step up and get a few - some of my WPC machines have a loud
speaker pop, others don't.

Richard

Ben

May 11, 2004, 7:00:01 PM5/11/04
Very nice work!

On Tue, 11 May 2004 22:34:16 GMT, "Herb Schanke"

Rick Swanson

May 11, 2004, 7:11:52 PM5/11/04
Herb Schanke wrote:

> This is a small circuit board (2.2" x 2.8") that will eliminate the "pop"
> from the speakers of your WPC game at start up and shut down.

Herb was kind enough to send me one of
these devices so that I could evaluate
it. I installed it in my TZ. Prior to
installing the device my TZ would emit a
moderately loud "pop" on startup but
would emit an extraordinarily loud "pop"
on power down. With Herb's device
installed my TZ is totally silent on
both power up and power down. I can't
detect any adverse effect on programed
music or sounds.

I used nylon ties to affix the small
board to the inside of the backbox.
Installation can be done in less than 3
minutes.

Thanks for a quality product, Herb.

Rick Swanson
Morristown, TN

Otto

May 11, 2004, 7:24:16 PM5/11/04
Does the "pop" hurt/damage anything?

Perhaps it is the pins' way of saying---"leave me on, play me, and never
turn me off!!!!"

:>)

Otto
CARGPB11

"Herb Schanke" <hsch...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

Steve Trischetta

May 11, 2004, 8:05:10 PM5/11/04
Herb:

Very nice! I was thinking of making this as a PinGizmos kit. Since you've
done the hard work already,
look for my order instead.

Steve

a...@txpinball.com

May 11, 2004, 9:48:22 PM5/11/04
Hey, that's very useful and very reasonable priced. Best of luck with this.
I've wondered what causes that "pop"?
Adi
www.txpinball.com

JA

May 11, 2004, 10:10:27 PM5/11/04
Good stuff. Will have to order one for my TZ within the next few days.
Thanks!

-JA

"Herb Schanke" <hsch...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in news:Ixcoc.6475
$eH1.3...@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com:

> http://tinyurl.com/yrmjw

Herb Schanke

May 11, 2004, 10:34:54 PM5/11/04
I just wanted to thank Tuukka Kalliokoski and Ken Schwieker for their help
with this project. The circuit is based on their designs, I just took it a
little further.

Herb Schanke

SO

May 12, 2004, 12:34:50 AM5/12/04

> I just wanted to thank Tuukka Kalliokoski and Ken Schwieker for their help
> with this project. The circuit is based on their designs, I just took it
> little further.
>
> Herb Schanke

Can you make one for WPC DCS?

Thanks,

Scott O.

pinballjim

May 12, 2004, 9:49:50 AM5/12/04
I built one of these a couple weeks ago when Radio Shack had those $5
coupons, and it's made turning Funhouse off and on a lot more
tolerable. Funhouse has got 4 unused standoffs in the upper left
corner, you could probably mount this board there. Course I used a
piece of cardboard and not a pretty PCB. :)

No idea on this product, but if it's based on the Tuukka circuit,
you'll be happy with it.

Herb Schanke

May 12, 2004, 10:07:20 AM5/12/04
"SO" <nos...@whatever.net> wrote in message

The DCS are wired a little differently than the pre-DCS games. I don't have
and DCS games so I didn't address it. While I believe (but not sure) the
same circuit would work, the wiring harness would need to be changed to
allow for the differences. Possibly a future project, but if someone else
wants to pursue it, be my guest. I'd certainly be willing to sell the
boards alone without the wiring harness for a reduced price ($20??).

Herb Schanke

Kevin Steele

May 12, 2004, 12:01:02 PM5/12/04
Out of curiosity, is there any benefit to the machine with getting rid
of the pops?

Personally, I find the pops mildly annoying, but would probably only add
on the board if it had some tangible benefit besides just getting rid of
a "pop" noise.

It certainly looks like a well-designed piece of hardware, and well-
thought out (I always love add-ons that can be removed again without
harming any of the "factory original" hardware!)

--
Kevin Steele
RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews

Herb Schanke

May 12, 2004, 12:15:56 PM5/12/04
As far as I know, the "pops" at start up and shut down are not harmful or
damaging. I suppose it could be argued that the "pops" cause additional
stress to the speakers, but I think that would be a reach to claim that it's
significant.

Just as you stated, it eliminates the annoying noises at start up and shut
down. How annoying it is depends on the game and the individual owner. For
some reason it just "feels" better (to me) to turn a game off and hear the
"click" of the switch without the "POP!" from the speaker.

Herb Schanke

"Kevin Steele" <net-re...@DELadelphia.net> wrote in message

someotherguy

May 12, 2004, 1:33:52 PM5/12/04
I also find the pops more annoying than anything else, but I have a couple of
machines that pop so LOUDLY that I am certain damage is being done to the
speakers over the long term. I keep my machines turned up loud, and still the
volume of the pop is troubling to me.

Richard

JB

May 12, 2004, 6:03:27 PM5/12/04
All,

I have a DCS game and the speaker output difference is that there are two
separate circuits, one just for the woofer, and then one for the backbox
speakers. So the pop eliminator would need another set of contacts for the
additional speaker wire.

-JB

"Herb Schanke" <hsch...@nfco.com> wrote in message

Herb Schanke

May 12, 2004, 7:49:36 PM5/12/04
Do both speakers (cabinet & panel) have the pop when the game is turned
on/off, or does it come from just the panel speakers? Anyone interested in
doing a test? Disconnect the connector for the panel speakers and see if
the woofer pops when the game is turned on/off.

It wouldn't take much to modify the board to handle one of the speaker
circuits, but it would take much more work if both speaker circuits would
need to be "silenced".

Herb Schanke

"JB" <jb_NO_SPAM_@video_NO_SPAM_engine.com> wrote in message

Fred Kemper

May 12, 2004, 10:06:04 PM5/12/04
Funny, I've never even noticed any of my games do this.

--
Fred
TX

Lloyd Olson

May 12, 2004, 11:53:35 PM5/12/04
WHAT ? LTG :)

"Fred Kemper" <pbga...@davlin.net> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

pinballjim

May 13, 2004, 10:44:26 AM5/13/04
Your Hac.. er... Black Rose does.

pinballjim

May 13, 2004, 10:54:15 AM5/13/04
I don't think there's any benefit besides making your machine look a
little less stupid when you're turning it on and off with friends
around. My Funhouse was loud enough to wake me or my wife up if the
other turned it off while we were sleeping, so I guess there's that,
too.

Frankly, it just drove me nuts, it sounded like something was
exploding, and it twinged my "repair something" radar every time I
heard it.

Even when I had a gameroom full of System3s, I didn't have that
problem.. and they do a nice THUMP!, hum, DEET!-DEET!-DEET! everytime
they're turned on.

pinballjim at hotmail dot com

JC

May 13, 2004, 2:35:23 PM5/13/04
Um, excuse me.....KORN! KOOOOOORN! We (being the presumptive guy I
am--maybe just me) want your opinion! What does the 'popping' do over
the long-term?

-JC-
Who almost typed 'pooping', but knows the long-term answer to be
Preparation H.

Lloyd Olson

May 13, 2004, 3:08:11 PM5/13/04
Let's see. 50,000 watts raw power, turn game off. Everybody in the hood drops
thinking Korn is doing a drive by with a house. LTG :)

"JC" <john....@libertymutual.com> wrote in message

Mike O.

May 20, 2004, 9:38:24 AM5/20/04
I received and installed the NO-POP board in my TZ yesterday and am
thrilled to have it. The quality is second to none. The effect is
awesome. The extreme pop that my TZ emitted at shutoff has bothered
me to no end since the day I bought it over 5 years ago. I'm sure it
was not good for the speakers. Of all the add ons we see for
pinballs, and TZ especially, this is about the best value out there.
I predict you will sell a ton of these Herb.

Thanks again.

Mike O.