Q: Thinning Super Glue -- what to use?

Rob Myers

Sep 12, 2009, 8:29:36 PM9/12/09
If you wanted to make Super Glue/ Crazy Glue even thinner, what would
you thin it with?

I realize you can just buy a 'thin version' off the shelve, but still,
I am interested in knowing what you would thin it with if you felt
like doing that.

Does any know the answer?

Thanks,
-- Rob

Lloyd Olson

Sep 12, 2009, 8:32:29 PM9/12/09
Acetone. Some nail polish removers have it. LTG :)

"Rob Myers" <rsm...@rogers.com> wrote in message

c...@provide.net

Sep 13, 2009, 7:59:17 AM9/13/09

I would not try and thin it. I would just buy
new glue in the thinnest form you desire.
most hobby shops sell SG in different
thicknesses. you could use acetone
to thin it, but it may compromise the
structure of the glue.

Gman

Sep 13, 2009, 1:16:10 PM9/13/09
On Sep 12, 8:29 pm, Rob Myers <rsmy...@rogers.com> wrote:

Woodcraft stores and online sell three thickness or CA glue, I use all
three. Thin, medium and thick. (i use these for 'fixing' bark and wood
fibers while turning natural edge bowls, mother nature and I need a
little help sometimes)

gypsy....@gmail.com

Dec 22, 2015, 12:09:02 AM12/22/15
Xylene

rsm...@rogers.com

Dec 26, 2015, 1:17:36 PM12/26/15
On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 21:08:47 -0800 (PST), gypsy....@gmail.com
wrote:
Not Acetone? I thought 'Super Glue/ Crazy Glue' had Acetone in it.

If Xylene will works as a thinner for those glues, are there
advantages to using it over Acetone?

Thanks,
--- Rob

barakandl

Dec 28, 2015, 3:50:59 PM12/28/15
Xylene and Acetone are different beasts. Xylene is a non polar solvent where Acetone is more of a polar solvent. The solubility of things could be different between the two.

Frank Furhter

Dec 28, 2015, 8:02:29 PM12/28/15
barakandl wrote:
> non polar solvent

For those in the know...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solvent
http://www.masterorganicchemistry.com/2012/04/27/polar-protic-polar-aprotic-nonpolar-all-about-solvents/

Oh the power of the poles.

--
The Frankster, a playfield prankster
Once upon my crank her ballpark shrank.

Bob C

Dec 29, 2015, 11:11:37 AM12/29/15
I thought cheap generic glue was already "thinned" according to past posts

rickca...@sportvision.com

Sep 3, 2017, 3:58:27 PM9/3/17
I'm about to try thinning my thick super-glue by adding some super thin super-glue. With any luck this will save a fairly big bottle of thick super-glue that's getting way too thick.

--
The information transmitted in this e-mail and/or attachments is intended
solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may

The_Black_Knight

Sep 4, 2017, 2:03:49 AM9/4/17
> I'm about to try thinning my thick super-glue by adding some super thin super-glue. With any luck this will save a fairly big bottle of thick super-glue that's getting way too thick.

Thinning thick super glue or I have to assume you are referring to the family of glues under Cyanoacrylates is wasteful actually REDUCES bond strength.

"Mixing and matching" glues is also a bad idea because of the changes in chemicals that are used in different types of glues, which can cause discoloration.

Many times thick glue means the glue has aged or simply cheap.

Go buy a new bottle of Loctite 20G SG Professional and throw the old bottle out.
Don't be cheap, or you get cheap results.
A $6 bottle of loctite even with a lot of repairs lasts months.

dwig...@gmail.com

Oct 3, 2017, 2:00:26 PM10/3/17
According to the wikipedia page on CA:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate#cite_note-34

"As cyanoacrylates age, they polymerize, become thicker, and cure more slowly. They can be thinned with a cyanoacrylate of the same chemical composition with lower viscosity.[34] Storing cyanoacrylates below 0 °F (−18 °C) will nearly stop the polymerization process and prevent aging."

As far as the last claim on storage, it should be added that it is suggested to let the container and contents rise to ambient temperature in order to reduce condensation, which causes more rapid curing of the glue.

rrgu...@gmail.com

Nov 27, 2017, 10:45:52 PM11/27/17
If you just want to reduce drying time you can chill the super glue in the freezer. This also works well to keep it from solidifying in the tube.

Frank Furhter

Nov 30, 2017, 12:28:34 AM11/30/17
rrgu...@gmail.com wrote:
> If you just want to reduce drying time you can chill the super glue in the freezer. This also works well to keep it from solidifying in the tube.

So you can huff late at night, just in time for that
'can't get back to sleep' after you wake up and change
the bag and drink some more water.

--
The Frankster, a playfield prankster
Once upon my crank her ballpark shrank.
http://PinWiki.com, Prep-H 4 pinballers.
CARGPB #42 (Free to join, sign up now!)
Dangling Team-EM Member (debauchery a-go-go)
Rule #1 of RGP, there are no rules or rulers.

oceans...@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2018, 12:14:05 AM8/24/18
magnificent

darkp...@gmail.com

Nov 24, 2019, 1:41:53 PM11/24/19

Mal Mcauliffe

Jun 14, 2021, 3:05:43 AM6/14/21
did it work @rickca...@sportvision.com ?

Kenneth Vaughan

Aug 20, 2021, 12:35:18 AM8/20/21
acetone will NOT thin super-glue! In fact, quite the opposite… it “gels” it, and what results might be a good adhesive/gap sealer; but it might be worthless - I don’t know, I threw it away as a failed experiment.

KJMain

Nov 28, 2021, 1:13:51 PM11/28/21
On Friday, August 20, 2021 at 12:35:18 AM UTC-4, Kenneth Vaughan wrote:
> acetone will NOT thin super-glue! In fact, quite the opposite… it “gels” it, and what results might be a good adhesive/gap sealer; but it might be worthless - I don’t know, I threw it away as a failed experiment.

Acetone will thin superglue. just make sure it is an unopened bottle and 100% pure. If there is any moisture present it will gel the superglue.

Kim Lim

Oct 7, 2022, 9:39:25 AM10/7/22
I can attest to the fact that acetone does thin super-glue. I had a container of super-glue gel that was about 2 years old. I have applied that to fill the larger cracks in the timber I used for turning. I was about to throw that away as the gel had become too thick for effective application. I was encouraged to add acetone to the very thick super-glue gel after reading KJMain's response. Needless to say, I was very pleasantly surprised that the consistency of the super-glue thinned out sufficiently to flow into the timber cracks and shakes. For me, the acetone has restored the super-glue gel to the extent that I could use it as effectively as if it was a new supply.

miriam wolfe

Jan 21, 2023, 1:16:56 PM1/21/23