Tron Sea of Simulation (SoS) rules, etc.

Snailman

Sep 22, 2011, 4:22:54 PM9/22/11

This is part of what I sent this over to pinballnews to
supplement/correct their Tron review, but Martin is traveling and hasn't
had time to update it:

Before getting into the SoS completion rules, it's worth noting that you
may only play SoS once during each progression towards qualifying for
Portal MB. So if you crash and burn on SoS, you have to complete any
unlit stage the old-fashioned way and cannot requalify for SoS again
(unless you play Portal and start all over again).

_SoS_Ruleset_(requirements_to_finish_each_SoS_stage)_:
** Every SoS stage is untimed **
Flynn: (I know it's darn near impossible to not have solidly lit Flynn,
but I did it once for fun.) Shoot the Arcade scoop shot once.

GEM: Shoot the GEM shot once.

CLU: Complete each of CLU helmet shots once. Completing the rollovers
will also award a helmet shot, but the C-L-U inlane lights do not cycle
between inlanes with each press of the flipper buttons. (presumably to
prevent you from riding the L ramp over and over again to your heart's
content to finish this stage)

ZUSE: Hit each of the ZUSE targets once.

Quorra: Hit the Quorra L inner loop once. That's right -- just once.

Disc: Collect each of the 6 disc shots once. To aid you in this stage,
shooting the center disc will spot the left-most lit disc shot. No need
to hit the GEM shot if you don't want to!

LC: Collect each of the 6 LC shots once -- but they are not all lit
initially. Similar to the LCMB, both ramps and the R orbit are lit
first. Collecting the L ramp will light the L orbit and L inner loop
inserts. I don't recall if the R ramp or the R orbit lights the R inner
loop, but one of them does, if not both. There is no crutch/aid
provided by the center disc, alternate shots, or rollover lanes -- you
must hit each shot. No timed combos required to complete each shot.

Recognizer: This will always be completed by the ruleset's logic.
You'll never play this in SoS.

TRON: (It's rare, but possible, to not have this completed) Hit each of
the four T-R-O-N letters once, thereby completing the bank. I do not
believe that the ZEN rollover comes into play here to allow it to be
completed in one shot.

Additional notes:
- Modes you had running prior to starting SoS continue during SoS (and
past SoS if you extend them appropriately). Ex: GEM, ZUSE.

- Double Scoring also applies to SoS completion bonuses. So if you have
the Double Scoring up next on TRON awards, and have a large number of
consecutive modes completed, it is VERY lucrative to start Double
Scoring before shooting for the scoop to start SoS. It doesn't matter
that there's a bug that has the TRON awards continue counting down their
duration while you're sitting in the scoop -- as long as it was lit when
you shot the scoop to start SoS, your initial completion bonuses will
all be doubled. The DMD bonus amounts displayed will reflect this.

- Double Scoring also applies to your end-of-ball bonus! (if you drain
while it's active) The DMD of your bonus and multipliers will _not_
reflect this. But you'll notice that the end-of-ball bonus that gets
added to your score on the left third of the DMD will be twice that of
your final bonus displayed in the DMD.

--
Snailman
This USENET post sent from http://rgparchive.com

yancy

Sep 22, 2011, 6:13:17 PM9/22/11

Snailman;1786543 Wrote:
> - Double Scoring also applies to SoS completion bonuses. So if you have
> the Double Scoring up next on TRON awards, and have a large number of
> consecutive modes completed, it is VERY lucrative to start Double
> Scoring before shooting for the scoop to start SoS. It doesn't matter
> that there's a bug that has the TRON awards continue counting down their
> duration while you're sitting in the scoop -- as long as it was lit when
> you shot the scoop to start SoS, your initial completion bonuses will
> all be doubled. The DMD bonus amounts displayed will reflect this.
>
> - Double Scoring also applies to your end-of-ball bonus! (if you drain
> while it's active) The DMD of your bonus and multipliers will _not_
> reflect this. But you'll notice that the end-of-ball bonus that gets
> added to your score on the left third of the DMD will be twice that of
> your final bonus displayed in the DMD.
These could both be huge, especially doubling SoS completion bonuses.
I've done it on accident, but I'm not clever or talented enough to set
it up on purpose. Usually just trying to hit the scoop for SoS before I
drain. :-)

I would consider the double bonus a bug since double scoring
traditionally ends when you drain. But end-of-ball bonus is seldom a
game changer on Tron, so I'm not too worked up over it.

--
yancy