Quick question, startup "surge" (Diner)

Spida

Jul 10, 2005, 11:45:01 PM7/10/05
Hey gang,

Hmm.........I haven't had a chance to dig into this quite yet. I was hoping
someone may have had this problem and it would cut down on some diagnosing
time on my end. I couldn't find anything via Google.

When I turn Diner on, some of the coils activate (including the knocker) at
startup. Just a quick pulse on them. If I'm looking in the backbox, the
A/C relay on the Auxiliary Power Board also gives a quick spark (which is
probably why the coils are activating). After that, the game plays like
normal with no tripping, troubles or shorts. So I have a feeling it's
getting some weird feedback or surge.

I have recently replaced a power-cord (original had a missing ground prong).
It was the first time I ever had to replace one that needed soldered on. I
believe I did it correctly. I'm not sure if this is the problem but thought
I'd plop that in there just in case.

Any quick thoughts on it?
Thanks!!!!!!!!
Chris

Bucci's Pinball Arcade
"My collection & obsession online"
http://www.buccisarcade.com

Cliffy

Jul 11, 2005, 12:06:39 AM7/11/05
It seems to be somewhat common, if unnerving. I've seen the same thing
intermittently on my Dr Dude, a buddies Pool Sharks, Bad Cats and yes a
Diner. It didn't do it all the time but whenever it did it made me
cringe. I always suspected bad pia's but when I checked them out and
even swapped them it never went away.

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!

Spida

Jul 11, 2005, 12:15:10 AM7/11/05
Hmm. Interesting Cliffy.

I've had the knocker go off for no reason on System-11s before (even when
the SW knocker setting is shut off). You know? But I've never had the A/C
relay spark and activate a couple coils at startup.

I removed the batteries, removed all the ICs and replaced. Put in new ROMs.
Obviously I had the game apart and recently put it back together so I did
the same thing to try and fix connection issues. Same problem. :(

You know, it could be that ramp protector Cliffy. The game worked before I
installed it months ago. HEE HEE!

"Cliffy" <cri...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Cliffy

Jul 11, 2005, 12:29:44 AM7/11/05
heh heh :P right. well ya know the knocker is the one that most went off
on my Dude for sure. If you figure out what it is I'm sure you'll let us
all know!

Fred Kemper

Jul 11, 2005, 4:47:51 AM7/11/05
Start by checking your power supply.
Problems with the +5vdc section of the
board are often the source of this. I've
had quite a few WMS games with this
power supply exhibit this problem.

If you have another working pin you can
swap this board with, you may narrow your
search. Also check for poor connections
on the auxillary board that has the 'ice cube'
relay. A bad relay or cold solder joint will
cause this. too.

--
Fred
TX

Spida

Jul 11, 2005, 8:48:03 AM7/11/05
Thanks Fred. Sounds like a great starting point to me. :) :)
Chris

"Fred Kemper" <pbga...@davlin.net> wrote in message

Dallas Overturf

Jul 11, 2005, 1:51:54 PM7/11/05
System 11 such as Fire; knock away when first booted if there is a problem,
such as loss of battery power.
It was the machine's way of telling the op to WAKE UP and FIX ME!

Regards, Dallas...

--
Home Page: www.geocities.com/d_overturf
Replies regarding News Group messages to me may get a challenge verifier

"Spida" <spi...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Spida

Jul 11, 2005, 2:13:02 PM7/11/05
Hey Dallas,

Thanks for the tip. Good old S-11 knockers and their warning signals.
Gotta' love them.

However, it's not the typical "knocker only" on startup or else I wouldn't
have worried much out it. It's literally the A/C relay sparking inside of
itself and causing the "A" side of the relay to activate (which the knocker
is included in) the "A" side coils.
Like a sudden "surge" into the A/C. :(

I'm still looking. Thought perhaps it was a ground problem but everything
seems to be reading correctly.
:)

"Dallas Overturf" <over...@fastdial.net> wrote in message