Value of LOTR SE in a few years

1 view

Jack James

Nov 12, 2009, 1:36:32 PM11/12/09
Friend is thinking of getting a LOTR special edition.
What is the "best" price and do you think it will hold it's value ?

What was the SMB price and how is that doing ?

Some thoughts for a slow day.

Lloyd Olson

Nov 12, 2009, 1:41:39 PM11/12/09
Depends on the economy and where the hobby is at. If you know that, you can
make more money elsewhere than in a hobby.

I'd advise your friend to get one, if he wants one, and not base it on
economics where you might win or lose. LTG :)

"Jack James" <pins...@optonline.net> wrote in message

Rare Hero

Nov 12, 2009, 1:57:21 PM11/12/09
On Nov 12, 10:36 am, Jack James <pinst...@optonline.net> wrote:
> What was the SMB price and how is that doing ?

Super Mario Bros. is going for about $1000 or less.

;)

Greg

Max Badazz

Nov 12, 2009, 2:13:36 PM11/12/09
>>Value of LOTR SE in a few years

It all depends on its condition. My nice Super Mario will probably be
worth more than a broken beater LOTR SE in 5 years :)

Chris (in NH)
http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/maxbadazz

Max Badazz

Nov 12, 2009, 2:14:53 PM11/12/09
Aw crap. Rare Hero beat me to the Super Mario reference. I should
read all the posts first :(

Chris (in NH)http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/maxbadazz

Rare Hero

Nov 12, 2009, 2:40:21 PM11/12/09
On Nov 12, 11:14 am, Max Badazz <max_bad...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Aw crap.  Rare Hero beat me to the Super Mario reference.  I should
> read all the posts first :(

Great minds... :)

Greg

mr tobias

Nov 12, 2009, 3:14:25 PM11/12/09

I'm not sure this should be seen as an investment, especially as the
production run sounds too open ended to be in any sense limited.
Rather I think you should regard this game as something to buy for its
own sake.

Jack James

Nov 12, 2009, 3:21:52 PM11/12/09
I have a LOTR (2005) and love it. Seems like it had held most of its
value so there was no real reason to wait a year and get a HUO version.
My cousin has just gotten the bug so I told him about the LOTR. I
just don't think you will be able to pick up one in 2 years for $2k like
other Sterns.

PinChamp

Nov 12, 2009, 4:00:56 PM11/12/09
> do you think it will hold it's value ?

LOTR might stay about the same price it is now, if you are lucky. If
if Stern dissolves which it will soon I don't see Stern pins doing
what B/W pins did after the end.

There are 2 potential markets for pins. The players market, and the
collectors market. Stern games appeal to neither.

They are too easy for any serious player to want, and too cheaply
built and pre-fab for a serious collectors to want.

Buy at your own risk, . . Stern pins are a piss poor investment, SE or
not.

SaBbRa CaDaBra

Nov 12, 2009, 4:05:01 PM11/12/09

people can't even agree on a pin's value today, how are they supposed
to know what it's going to be in a few years?

Flipper City Phoenix

Nov 12, 2009, 5:16:34 PM11/12/09
What was the SMB price and how is that doing ?

Spiderman Black or Super mario bros?
Carrol

Jack James

Nov 12, 2009, 5:25:47 PM11/12/09
Black Spiderman.

I believe Steve Richie said there told to refer to it as Black Suited
Spiderman

Although Super Mario Brothers seems pretty popular :)

goatdan

Nov 12, 2009, 5:29:12 PM11/12/09
On Nov 12, 4:25 pm, Jack James <pinst...@optonline.net> wrote:
> Black Spiderman.
>
> I believe Steve Richie said there told to refer to it as Black Suited
> Spiderman

He had said Black Spider-Man (BSM). Traditionally, I'm the only one
who posts about SMB in these posts, I'm impressed.

As for the original question, I bet LOTR will hold it's value pretty
well, but a lot will be dependent on how the package looks. BSM has
increased in value for NIB.

Bingovit

Nov 12, 2009, 6:45:05 PM11/12/09

Look, I'm a Stern fan and answers like this just upset me. They're the
last man standing whether you like it or not.
Williams has good pins, Stern has good pins, Capcom has good pins and
even Gottlieb made a few good ones(the cadillacs of pinball!).
I like pinball and every brand has his ups and downs, his good and bad
pins and his design flaws.
Live with it, if you don't like them please don't make an ass off
yourself by giving such a ridiculous reaction...